Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

There are some incredibly easy 'wins' that they should have already handed to the students - things that should have been done years ago, things that other schools are doing immediately.

Like?

I am truly asking and not being sarcastic at all.

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Like?

I am truly asking and not being sarcastic at all.

Renaming the buildings.  How fucking hard is it to announce that you're going to change the name so that its no longer named after someone who refused to teach black students?  Clemson did it.    Princeton is taking a fucking presidents name off of a building and we can't remove a teachers?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Renaming the buildings.  How fucking hard is it to announce that you're going to change the name so that its no longer named after someone who refused to teach black students?  Clemson did it.    Princeton is taking a fucking presidents name off of a building and we can't remove a teachers?

Makes sense. I haven't been following anything so wasn't sure what others have done. I guess my question is what will satisfy Overshown to come back to play again? 

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Agreed. Aside from the donations to BLM and "The Eyes," the other stuff should be a quick and simple decision.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

There are some incredibly easy 'wins' that they should have already handed to the students - things that should have been done years ago, things that other schools are doing immediately.

Exactly.

Texas dragging its feet on this issue fits the lazy culture of our school and alumni. We don’t care about winning. We care about talking about football. Let’s have some board meetings, hire a consultant firm, grill up some fajitas, pop a beer and talk about it. Then down the line, after we’ve already shown up late to the game, when can make a tweak or two, then we can buy the most expensive steak afterwards, and talk about how great we used to be.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Exactly.

Texas dragging its feet on this issue fits the lazy culture of our school and alumni. We don’t care about winning. We care about talking about football. Let’s have some board meetings, hire a consultant firm, grill up some fajitas, pop a beer and talk about it. Then down the line, after we’ve already shown up late to the game, when can make a tweak or two, then we can buy the most expensive steak afterwards, and talk about how great we used to be.

Or they are not jerking their knees.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Veerbone said:

Or they are not jerking their knees.

Oh so Clemson reaction was knee jerk? What's the possible fallout from these decisions? They are fucking no brainers dude. Fuck people like you. No one is saying do everything they asked, people are saying do things that are OBVIOUS and EASY wins. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

retweeted by pretty much everyone on the team.

I appreciate his passion and putting his "money" where his mouth is, but he needs to grow up and learn a little patience.  

Three whole weeks!!!!

Its that type of attitude that has the corona virus spreading.  Younger people have run out of patience with being limited with what they could do.

• Like 1

Such as?

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

I appreciate his passion and putting his "money" where his mouth is, but he needs to grow up and learn a little patience.  

Three whole weeks!!!!

Its that type of attitude that has the corona virus spreading.  Younger people have run out of patience with being limited with what they could do.

Hey don't blame the youth for that one.

Princeton has been talking about it for years.  Calhoun has been an issue for years and Clemson just renamed an honors college, not a building.

And how do you know they are right about the buildings?  Was Robert Lee Moore giving Black students nothing more than a "C" true because Wikipedia reported it?  Yes, its a slam dunk if true, but you need to do more than believe what you see on the internet.  There can also be legal implications.  Was there some sort of gift associated with naming the building after him?

For example, if UT wanted to rename DKR because of SI stories from the early 70s, would the estate of Joe Jamail (think that was the major donor) demand $30-$50 million back plus interest?

Finally, you have to decide what the new name will be.

Clemson did rename a building.  But the campus is on the grounds that were the plantation owned by the same person.  They really should relocate the campus if they are serious about it.

• Like 5

To me Littlefield is a non-starter.  While everything should be discussed, if you spit on someone who is one of the biggest benefactors of all time because of changing politics, then why should anyone donate?  The Eyes are not really important except symbolically as what was a universal symbol of unity.  To be offended you have to try really hard to be offended.  Its asinine.  And a school that changes something for that reason is asinine.

A lot of the requests should be done based on what I know, but it needs to be done properly, not knee-jerk.  And maybe some of the items can be done better than the request.  Maybe for example, a Painter-Sweatt Hall.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

retweeted by pretty much everyone on the team.

Seeing the overwhelming support in the replies, plus the positive ratio, has me so pumped up right now. I love my alma mater specifically for this kind of spirit. We're Texas, if we want to change the world we should start at home. I was proud when Sam Ehlinger spoke up about the NCAA's unfair compensation rules, and I'm proud of the rest of the team for putting their values above playing.

We have some great people on campus right now. Hopefully the university administration can match the spirit of the students on campus.Texas isn't names on a building or statues or hundred year old parodies of I've been working on the railroad, it's the students who come and go every year. Never forget who serves whom.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Where the hell is Herman? He's been crickets since these demands came out. 

He's been quite supportive on the spectrum of cfb coaches.  We've just reached the point where if he talks publically it makes either his team or his boss look bad, with virtually no middle ground.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, landman said:

Clemson did rename a building.  But the campus is on the grounds that were the plantation owned by the same person.  They really should relocate the campus if they are serious about it.

username checks out.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It's a fucking song, and a poorly written one at that.  A song is negotiable, nothing to be idolized. 

Getting rid of the eyes doesn’t change why I love Texas football. Things are always changing, why not this?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

They have plenty of time to figure this out and the admin knows it. There is a small chance that football is going to be played anyway, so make all the right moves at one time instead of rushing through changes.

31 minutes ago, bullet said:

To me Littlefield is a non-starter.  While everything should be discussed, if you spit on someone who is one of the biggest benefactors of all time because of changing politics, then why should anyone donate?  The Eyes are not really important except symbolically as what was a universal symbol of unity.  To be offended you have to try really hard to be offended.  Its asinine.  And a school that changes something for that reason is asinine.

A lot of the requests should be done based on what I know, but it needs to be done properly, not knee-jerk.  And maybe some of the items can be done better than the request.  Maybe for example, a Painter-Sweatt Hall.

You think someone who gives money is untouchable. That’s a terrible take. Changing politics? It’s a little more complicated than that. 

Leave the Epstein statue up boys, he donated money! And we like money. If we don’t let the racist donate money, we would be sooo poor. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

With all due respect to “urgency” I think “they” are a bit preoccupied with hammering out the details of multiple contingency plans for operating one of the world’s largest and most respected public universities.

Yes, they’ll get to your “demands” but maybe a tad bit of patience is in order?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, landman said:

And change the name of the university too, for that matter.

1 hour ago, Capn81 said:

They have plenty of time to figure this out and the admin knows it. There is a small chance that football is going to be played anyway, so make all the right moves at one time instead of rushing through changes.

This. If it's truly greater than football then it should not be rushed and all sides should be good with diligent efforts to make the changes without respect to any football timelines.  Would I like it to happen quicker, sure, but we are in the middle of a pandemic and many of the changes will require board or regent approval, lawyers, etc. There will be enough players who want to play if we happen to see a season anytime soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Oh so Clemson reaction was knee jerk? What's the possible fallout from these decisions? They are fucking no brainers dude. Fuck people like you. No one is saying do everything they asked, people are saying do things that are OBVIOUS and EASY wins. 

As if being a cunt wasn’t enough, you just had to throw on a healthy sampling of stupid projections & assumptive statements.

Rather knee jerking shall we say?

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

It's a fucking song, and a poorly written one at that.  A song is negotiable, nothing to be idolized. 

Passing along info, the “not negotiable” reflects the opinions of those other than myself & in a far better position to be heard.

”Cultural competency” isn’t a one way street, I’m just watching the cars pass by.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Veerbone said:

Passing along info, the “not negotiable” reflects the opinions of those other than myself & in a far better position to be heard.

”Cultural competency” isn’t a one way street, I’m just watching the cars pass by.

That’s beautiful, poetic and profound. Pos rep coming your way.

6 hours ago, Bruno Sardine said:

This is not very good, but the possibility was raised previously by another poster that we could keep the song and its attendant routines, the way the band plays it, etc. but change the words. 
The eyes of Texas are upon us
All the live long day
Let liberty hold sway
Know that Texas stands for freedom
Toward bigotry holds scorn
Till Gabriel blows his horn

Never gonna work because of the last line. Way too Christian.

It's all about compliance culture.  They realize they have leverage right now and they are using it.  I fail to see where compromise happens when people are demanding and screaming or tone deaf and dismissive but this is a little bit silly.  It's gotten to the point if you don't immediately give into my demands then you must not care about them which is absurd.  I'm all for most of the proposed changes but calling them demands for one already sets a bad precedent. Young people have gotten to this weird point of thinking that if you don't give into my demands then you are a terrible person.  It only takes 3 seconds of thinking to come up with a conclusion like that.  Sounds like he needs to go home and have a real long serious conversation with himself.  The world doesn't revolve around Demarvion Overshown or any individual in particular.  That being said, I hear his concerns and I support him being able to say whatever he wants. And I hope he decides to come back because I think he has a ton of potential.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

It's all about compliance culture.  They realize they have leverage right now and they are using it.  I fail to see where compromise happens when people are demanding and screaming or tone deaf and dismissive but this is a little bit silly.  It's gotten to the point if you don't immediately give into my demands then you must not care about them which is absurd.  I'm all for most of the proposed changes but calling them demands for one already sets a bad precedent. Young people have gotten to this weird point of thinking that if you don't give into my demands then you are a terrible person.  It only takes 3 seconds of thinking to come up with a conclusion like that.  Sounds like he needs to go home and have a real long serious conversation with himself.  The world doesn't revolve around Demarvion Overshown or any individual in particular.  That being said, I hear his concerns and I support him being able to say whatever he wants. And I hope he decides to come back because I think he has a ton of potential.

High emotions are running no doubt.   On this exact thread I had a poster challenge me over feelings towards “response time” & we are on the same side of the original points.

If the University had responded inside of the first few days if not week, some may have argued It was handled hastily & not given respect.   

Simply stated, not everyone will be satisfied with the end result & there will be casualties.  I trust the administration will do the right thing.

Edited by Veerbone

Seeing the overwhelming support in the replies, plus the positive ratio, has me so pumped up right now. I love my alma mater specifically for this kind of spirit. We're Texas, if we want to change the world we should start at home. I was proud when Sam Ehlinger spoke up about the NCAA's unfair compensation rules, and I'm proud of the rest of the team for putting their values above playing.
We have some great people on campus right now. Hopefully the university administration can match the spirit of the students on campus.Texas isn't names on a building or statues or hundred year old parodies of I've been working on the railroad, it's the students who come and go every year. Never forget who serves whom.

So quitting doing the things upon which your scholarship is based is OK? If someone with an academic based scholarship says “fuck it. I’m pulling C-‘s from here in out” until xyz happens, do they get the luxury of continued satin pillow education?

I applaud the passion. But get a fucking grip on reality.
  • Like 5

Meh. This could be a quick lesson In life and adulthood. Literally every human is replaceable.  There’s always someone on your tail chasing your spot be it sports, corporate whatever.  I applaud your courage but don’t have the shocked look if the hungry guy behind you takes your spot.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BigXII said:

I have always maintained it is about the students. They are the reason for the University’s existence.

• Like 1