Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

39 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

Enjoy Juco ball where they will treat you with the highest respect.

Lol... he’ll have his choice of P5 school if/when he enters the portal.  Get out of here with your bullshit.

I’m proud of DeMarvion.  Our administration as usual has done jack shit.  Mississippi changed a state flag extremely quick.  I won’t be surprised if more player sit out as well.  Unlike our moronic administration, these kids are actually trying to bring progress to the University.  It’s laughable that we still have statues and buildings named after racists.  This should be a no brainer.  It shouldn’t take 3 fucking weeks to initiate change.  And stop with the bullshit about donations stopping.  UT will be fine.  No one person is bigger than this university.  We’ve got plenty of fucking money.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

28 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Our administration as usual has done jack shit.  Mississippi changed a state flag extremely quick. 

These guys need to jfc with the comparisons. 

All the things that have been quickly changed like the Mississippi flag are clear and deliberate racist symbols/people/practices. Feeding black babies to gators and The Eyes of Texas are not equivalent. It's "racist adjacent", not deifying a "negro killer" or some horrible reminder of slavery and this fucking country trying to destroy itself other over it. 

Should it be changed or removed? Yea, enough people are bothered by it. But it's going to take longer then 3 weeks to change something that has a significant positive association for hundreds of thousands of people. 

RLM is an easy one. It was planned years ago to rename it after a major renovation is complete. Of course times have changed and they just need to fucking change it to PMA for now. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Lol... he’ll have his choice of P5 school if/when he enters the portal.  Get out of here with your bullshit.

I’m proud of DeMarvion.  Our administration as usual has done jack shit.  Mississippi changed a state flag extremely quick.  I won’t be surprised if more player sit out as well.  Unlike our moronic administration, these kids are actually trying to bring progress to the University.  It’s laughable that we still have statues and buildings named after racists.  This should be a no brainer.  It shouldn’t take 3 fucking weeks to initiate change.  And stop with the bullshit about donations stopping.  UT will be fine.  No one person is bigger than this university.  We’ve got plenty of fucking money.

That's a moronic comparison to make.  You say no one person is bigger than the University but apparently that doesn't apply to you if you play football.  At least be consistent with your bullshit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BigXII said:

I'm very proud of the school's athletes for realizing they have real power to enact change

They may be enacting change but they are going for the lowest of hanging fruit and I don't know why we are supposed to celebrate that like they had just won 12 national titles in a row.  Not saying they shouldn't do it but lets not act like they are changing the world with any of this.  They are literally just making themselves feel better which again is fine.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

They are literally just making themselves feel better which again is fine.

It's amazing that you watch football that is comprised mostly of young black men when you have such a low opinion of young black men and their intellect.

• Fuck You 3

6 hours ago, landman said:

Clemson did rename a building.  But the campus is on the grounds that were the plantation owned by the same person.  They really should relocate the campus if they are serious about it.

And they're still employing a coach that used a racial slur. 

They're all in on racial justice. 

The fact a school, like Clemson, is being applauded for their actions is laughable. They don't care about these issues. They made a PR move while they continue to employ a coach that called a player a racial slur. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's amazing that you watch football that is comprised mostly of young black men when you have such a low opinion of young black men and their intellect.

Wrong.  My opinion has nothing to do with them being black.  I am challenging the the foresight of young people in general.  I get that this is what kids do but it doesn't change the fact that this is not going to fix any of the problems.  If it makes them feel better then fine.  I don't have an issue with that.  I simply said I don't know why we are all expected to celebrate that like it's a significant accomplishment.  Grow up and stop trying to pander and race bait.  You are acting like a child.

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 4

Wrong.  My opinion has nothing to do with them being black.  I am challenging the the foresight of young people in general.  I get that this is what kids do but it doesn't change the fact that this is not going to fix any of the problems.  If it makes them feel better then fine.  I don't have an issue with that.  I simply said I don't know why we are all expected to celebrate that like it's a significant accomplishment.  Grow up and stop trying to pander and race bait.  You are acting like a child.

Ok racist boomer

• Fuck You 9

Just now, BradInATX said:
8 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Ok, racist boomer

Translation:  I'm not intelligent enough to have a counter point so I will throw out an emotional response like racist without any evidence because apparently I don't need it.  Btw I'm not a boomer.  I graduated from UT in 2011.  You clearly never learned how to think.

• Like 5

Translation:  I'm not intelligent enough to have a counter point so I will throw out an emotional response like racist without any evidence because apparently I don't need it.  Btw I'm not a boomer.  I graduated from UT in 2011.  You clearly never learned how to think.

You graduated 9 years ago and you're already jaded and angry at young people? Your college experience must not have been very fun. Sorry, kiddo. I'm sad for you.
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

I mean you are also out there tossing out strawmen like somebody out there is claiming this is going to solve all problems and displaying contempt for people based on your strawman. Oh and ad hominem attacks based on age. Not exactly impressive logic and convincing points.

Not that "boomer" is great or anything.

Edited by Valmy77

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean you are also out there tossing out strawmen like somebody out there is claiming this is going to solve all problems and displaying contempt for people based on your strawman. Oh and ad hominem attacks based on age. Not exactly impressive logic and convincing points.

Not that "boomer" is great or anything.

I never said that anyone said it's going to solve all the problems.  I said I don't know this is going to fix any of the problems.  I said I don't know why we are expected to celebrate the demands that are being made when they are going for low hanging fruit.  I said kids in general go for low hanging fruit that makes them feel better.  Which is what this is.  I'm allowed to have that opinion dude.  My goal was never to convince you of anything.  Iv'e said many times that I support their right to do this.  I don't have to agree with every aspect of it  though.

Edited by Apex73

5 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

I never said that anyone said it's going to solve all the problems.  I said I don't know this is going to fix any of the problems.  I said I don't know why we are expected to celebrate the demands that are being made when they are going for low hanging fruit.  I said kids in general go for low hanging fruit that makes them feel better.  Which is what this is.  I'm allowed to have that opinion dude.  My goal was never to convince you of anything.  Iv'e said many times that I support their right to do this.  I don't have to agree with every aspect of it  though.

They are going for the low hanging fruit because fragile scared white males like you throw tantrums and fight tooth and nail when they go for more difficult change. You whiny bitches are crying because your shitty high fructose corn syrup branding got changed, imagine if they asked for something that actually requires some sacrifice of the built-in advantages that whites have.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, maninblack said:

What was the average age of protestors?

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-07-01/experts-see-little-evidence-that-protests-spread-coronavirus

Go blame the dumbass governors in Florida, Arizona and Texas (among others) for reopening bars and restaurants too soon.

Edited by texifornia

Just now, BradInATX said:

They are going for the low hanging fruit because fragile scared white males like you throw tantrums and fight tooth and nail when they go for more difficult change. You mother fuckers are crying because your shitty high fructose corn syrup branding got changed, imagine if they asked for something that actually requires some sacrifice of the built-in advantages that whites have.

Dude you are going way beyond the barrier of reality.  You have no idea what my experience is with black people yet you throw all this emotional bullshit my way to make yourself feel better.  Apparently you didn't read earlier when I said that I support most of the proposed changes being made.  And actually if they went for something bigger that would create substantial change I would celebrate it like we had won 12 national titles in a row.  You are extremely emotional and not operating within the realm of logic at all.  Go powder your vagina for christ sake.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-07-01/experts-see-little-evidence-that-protests-spread-coronavirus

Go blame the dumbass governors in Florida, Arizona and Texas (among others) for reopening bars and restaurants too soon.

While agree that it was really stupid for them to open things back up that soon, we are kidding ourselves to say that the protests didn't impact the spike.  That's not realistic.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Dude you are going way beyond the barrier of reality.  You have no idea what my experience is with black people yet you throw all this emotional bullshit my way to make yourself feel better.  Apparently you didn't read earlier when I said that I support most of the proposed changes being made.  And actually if they went for something bigger that would create substantial change I would celebrate it like we had won 12 national titles in a row.  You are extremely emotional and not operating within the realm of logic at all.  Go powder your vagina for christ sake.  

Yep, I'm clearly the emotional one here.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Yep, I'm clearly the emotional one here.

Yea it's obvious.  I'm not the one calling people racist with no evidence to back that up.  That's an emotional argument.

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
36 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

You graduated 9 years ago and you're already jaded and angry at young people? Your college experience must not have been very fun. Sorry, kiddo. I'm sad for you.

My college experience was a blast. I've always been pessimistic about just people in general because most don't know how to think for themselves.  And you have been proving me right in thinking that way with every single response. 

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

The “performed in the ‘30’s by leering actors in blackface” seems to be an amalgamation of events...but nevertheless, he essentially says “move on.”

I never thought of performers in blackface as leering, smiling maybe, but not leering.

Too soon?

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

I see you've elected to trust your feelings over experts in their fields. Would you like a copy of Intro to Astrology and some protective crystals as well?

you’re out of your depth, little buddy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Veerbone said:

If we have learned anything so far during this epidemic, it’s that there are no facts.

Educated guesses at best.

This is typically what people say when they're confronted with facts and data that contradict their emotions and feelings.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Don't get let facts get in the way of what you think must be true.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

From the paper...

"Our findings thus far do not indicate that the outbreak of protests on the net has led residents to spend more time outside their homes
If anything, we find consistent evidence of an increase in social distancing behaviors on average.
...In this case, it is possible that we may see an increase in COVID-19 case growth, as a result of community spread from this subset of population (protest participants) for whom there was by definition an increase in out-of-home mobility and reduced social distancing. "

So... those are the "experts" here?

• Like 1

I really wonder how many of these guys really care about “instant” change enough to give up the potential of making millions?  

Wonder why there isn’t a lot of this chatter from the players at OU, Bama, tOSU, LSU, etc...  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

I really wonder how many of these guys really care about “instant” change enough to give up the potential of making millions?  

Wonder why there isn’t a lot of this chatter from the players at OU, Bama, tOSU, LSU, etc...  

Maybe cause We're Texas so that means we don't have to change they're the ones who suck. Never underestimate our arrogance in our ability to fuck shit up. Kansas State managed to figure it out.

8 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Because of 

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Neither you nor I know if this will directly impact their chances of making an NFL roster.  People need to stop pretending that they know it will. 

It feels like the administration is taking too long to respond to the player’s concerns. I get that some of these decisions, like re-naming a building, might be a big deal, but it’s time for action, not studying.

As for the Eyes of Texas, I get that might be more tricky. They should announce sweeping changes, and then announce a specific set of actions with respect to a review of the eyes of Texas. That should be sufficient progress to calm the players concerns for now.

14 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Because of 

giphy.gif

Neither you nor I know if this will directly impact their chances of making an NFL roster.  People need to stop pretending that they know it will. 

Well, if a guy who never significantly played here sits out the rest of his games at Texas, my guess is he won’t make an NFL roster (Overshown & Mitchell).  If someone like Sterns or Cosmi sit out this year, that’s a different story.  

• Like 1

Because, unlike UT, those are “Football Schools” that annually churn out multiple players that have significant NFL careers.
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This is typically what people say when they're confronted with facts and data that contradict their emotions and feelings.

And this is typically what people say when they're confronted with facts and data that contradict their emotions and feelings.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Maybe because in part, if you have a pulse and have 3 opportunities to spell CAT after being spotted the C and the A, you are admitted at those "fine institutions of greater learning." UT is one of the most liberal, public universities in the US. We currently have statues of MLK, Jr., Barbara Jordan, Cesar Chavez. We previously removed statues of Robert E. Lee, Albert Sidney Johnston, John Reagan,  James Stephen Hogg and moved them Briscoe Center for American History.

Good Lord, we aren't aggy which has a bunch of old, former yell leaders doing their chants during BLM protests.

Like all institutions of higher learning, we must remain open to intelligent viewpoints.

If players attending the University of Texas wish to not participate in athletics until certain demands are met, that is their right. That is an adult decision. However, with adult decisions come adult consequences. A decision like that at 21 years old has the potential to impact them for decades and could jeopardize a far greater platform in the future. Now, I do not believe we should yank their scholarships. If they wish not to play, they can attend class and use the time they would otherwise spend in practice or at games to hone their views on life and the world. If they choose not to continue their athletic careers, we can still enhance their lives through academic opportunities.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

From the paper...

"Our findings thus far do not indicate that the outbreak of protests on the net has led residents to spend more time outside their homes
If anything, we find consistent evidence of an increase in social distancing behaviors on average.
...In this case, it is possible that we may see an increase in COVID-19 case growth, as a result of community spread from this subset of population (protest participants) for whom there was by definition an increase in out-of-home mobility and reduced social distancing. "

So... those are the "experts" here?

Translation: there shouldn't be in increase in cases during the time of the protests.....but if there is it's due to the protests.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

Per a team source roughly 15 players are taking a “hard stance” on the requests or in their case it’s demands.  I’d bet most of those back off in the end if a few points on the checklist aren’t resolved to their liking.

Why Texas vs other programs?   I’d also bet a lot more programs would be in a similar scenario with UT if they had a Dr. Edmund Gordon on campus.   Factor in the culture of the program, campus & local community as well.

None of these observations are bad in my opinion, the requests for the most part are valid if not overdue.  I don’t know the entirety of Dr. Gordon’s tenure & agendas, but if in fact he’s the catalyst in this case..  it’s  bringing to light needed change that reflects “What Starts Here Changes The World”.

There is no more true “student athletes” in today’s CFB, but the current situation @ UT is healthy & far more favorable than the NFL D League mentality of the other programs you mentioned.

Let’s see how it all plays out, but I’m seeing a win/win in the end.

Thx for this @Ricky's one-hitter

Fyi... Humidor from IT

"About Demarvion Overshown...he still isn't on campus and the reasons aren't due to protesting. His tweet could give the impression that there is collective unrest still simmering, but we don't believe that to be the case at this time. The school is searching for a way to compromise on the Eyes of Texas and the players seem somewhat open to that, according to sources. As for DMO, give him time. We believe he'll be back on campus this month, and will update if new information arises."

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi... Humidor from IT   "About Demarvion Overshown...he still isn't on campus and the reasons aren't due to protesting. His tweet could give the impression that there is collective unrest still simmering, but we don't believe that to be the case at this time. The school is searching for a way to compromise on the Eyes of Texas and the players seem somewhat open to that, according to sources. As for DMO, give him time. We believe he'll be back on campus this month, and will update if new information arises."

Compromise idea:

1. Keep "The Eyes of Texas" with maybe a few modifications of the words
  2. Perform the "The Eyes of Texas" in pregame before players are brought out
  3. Play some time after " The Eyes of Texas " the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing," (traditionally known as the Black national anthem)
  4. Then next play  "The Star Spangled Banner"
  5. Finally, no longer play "The Eyes of Texas" at the end of contests...
Edited by LTtxfan