Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

16 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

They already renamed several buildings before the players demands. Just because they have a process, i.e. a BOR vote, doesn't mean they won't do jack shit. 

Maybe you don't like the process but the idea these other schools are being praised for renaming buildings when Texas has already done that multiple times is complete nonsense. 

You act like these other schools are progressive because they changed the name of one building when Texas has already been doing that for years. Now maybe you don't like the process of a BOR vote but the idea they haven't "done jack shit" is crazy talk. And I bet most of those player demands will eventually be met. 

It's called appeasement, bold strategy.

Not a song writer, but took a shot at modifying our song... LOL

🎶 THE EYES OF TEXAS 🎶

The Eyes of Texas are upon us

all the live long day...

The Eyes of Texas are upon us, 

we all must find a way...

To grow and learn from one another, 

and make a difference every day...

“What starts here Changes the World!"

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not a song writer, but took a shot at modifying our song... LOL

🎶 THE EYES OF TEXAS 🎶

all the live long day...

The Eyes of Texas are upon us, 

we all must find a way...

To grow and learn from one another, 

and make a difference every day...

“What starts here Changes the World!"

Isn’t the real problem with the tune as opposed to the words?

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

Let me check social media and the Internet. I know I hate the song but I need to check a few places first for the reason why.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

There are significant criticisms of both the words and the tune of "The Eyes of Texas".  Plus it's origination/use in a minstrel show...

But maybe the players will consider keeping the tune in exchange for better lyrics... and the upset alumni can live with changes to just the lyrics??

Edited by LTtxfan

Compromise idea:

1. Keep "The Eyes of Texas" with maybe a few modifications of the words
  2. Perform the "The Eyes of Texas" in pregame before players are brought out
  3. Play some time after " The Eyes of Texas " the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing," (traditionally known as the Black national anthem)
  4. Then next play  "The Star Spangled Banner"
  5. Finally, no longer play "The Eyes of Texas" at the end of contests...

What words in the Eyes are racist? None. The only objection has been some professor said the same chord progressions were played during minstrels shows. So no matter what the word are changed to it should still be considered racist correct according to his logic.
  • Like 7

Solution path for each demand is easy except for the damn song.   Wish they hadn’t picked it as a demand but there is no going back.   

I’m guessing a small mod won’t remove the divisiveness at this point.  Might actually make it worse / larger within the family and that’s what makes this one so hard.    

Probably need a brand new song at this point.  Fine with me .... just get on with it.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

What words in the Eyes are racist? None. The only objection has been some professor said the same chord progressions were played during minstrels shows. So no matter what the word are changed to it should still be considered racist correct according to his logic.

Many feel several phrases refer to slavery...

• The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
  • All the live long day
  • You can not get away
  • Do not think you can escape them
  • At night or early in the morn

Edited by LTtxfan

6 hours ago, BradInATX said:

This is typically what people say when they're confronted with facts and data that contradict their emotions and feelings.

You especially have no room to talk when it comes to this.  The only thing you have responded to me has been with emotions and feelings.  You sir are a hypocrite.

• Like 3

• All the live long day
  • You can not get away

There are plenty of ways to make a statement against racism, take down statues, change building names etc. but trying to make that song some racist hymn is reaching and doesn’t serve anyone.

c0991e4d47047847331f1ebf50ff2448.jpg
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yea I seriously doubt "every" black athlete is going to enter the transfer portal.  This relies on the assumption that they all think the same way which is beyond retarded.  Tim Crowder was an awesome player but his head is firmly up his own ass if he believes that is a possibility.  And transfer where btw?  To another place where they will find something racist and make the same demands?  We are hunting ghosts at this point.

• Like 4

Translation: there shouldn't be in increase in cases during the time of the protests.....but if there is it's due to the protests.

Did you read the study? If you did you'd know that he conveniently cut that quote off right before the part where they explain why they have good reason to believe the study does include secondary spread already. The quoted/bolded text that you and Monkey Donut think is a gotcha is simply them being intellectually honest.
The author of that paper can explain it to you, but they can't help you understand it.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

• All the live long day
  • You can not get away

Yea but what you "feel" is just that.  That doesn't make your assessment accurate.  When did everyone become a such vaginas?

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

There are plenty of ways to make a statement against racism, take down statues, change building names etc. but trying to make that song some racist hymn is reaching and doesn’t serve anyone.

c0991e4d47047847331f1ebf50ff2448.jpg

Speaking of Washington & Lee . . . 

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Interesting part:  "Faculty members have been circulating a petition calling for the name to be changed for several days and more than 200 have signed on, said James Casey, a professor of economics and a 1991 graduate of the university."

Yeah I saw that. And again, if there are legit reasons like this I’m all for it. The Eyes is simply a reach.

If 99% of the people don’t think it’s racist then some guy comes along and says they should find it racist and that is the sole factor in trying to change a long held non racist tradition then I find that very counter productive.

in dealing with the horrible reality of racism then attack the blatant abuses and don’t try and make something out of nothing, that will take many people who are on the side of change and make them start to become resentful.
  • Like 5

I am watching LHN right now and they’re showing our 2004 game against aggy. Watching it has made me long for what has been missing from UT football. Of course, number 1 is having a kick ass team with VY leading us to glory. However, it is more than that. Seeing the replay of this game brought back a bunch of good memories going to Austin or College Station on T+1. Nothing better than chanting “Poor Aggies” at Kyle after beating them and gloating afterwards at some bar in Nothgate. When I was growing up we played 3 rivalry games a year. We only have 1 now. We used to play in the best conference in the country. Remember the excitement of having a top 10 Nebraska team coming to Austin and us beating them.

The point of all this is reminiscing is to say is it still fucking worth it with all that’s going on. Getting rid of the Eyes is going to do more damage to our fan base than anyone can imagine. I know the Cabal is ready and willing to get rid of the Eyes and are proud of these players blah blah blah. I am not. They have driven wedge between our alumni, school and football team. Now Overshown is threatening to not participate. I am going to say this loud so those in the cheap seats can hear. GO FUCK YOURSELF. I would rather have a team of walkons whose dream was to wear burnt orange and walk on the field at DKR than some punk throwing ultimatums. These kids need to be told no.

What makes college football special is the traditions and community spirit that is forged at the games. Memories of good times with friends tailgating and memorable plays you were there to watch. I don’t care about the political opinions of UT players. I don’t care about your fucking opinions and no one wants to hear mine. The demand to get rid of the Eyes will rip through the fabric that binds us. It will piss off the vast majority of our fan base - including the ones that matter with deep pockets. We have already had so much taken from us that made UT football special. We have gone through a decade of losing, the cunty reign of Steve Patterson and the gross incompetence of Chollie. You put people through shit like that, they’re going to reassess. This fucking bullshit demand of the players AT THIS TIME, is so deviously destructive. It is a kill shot to our program. We obsess about the Horns because it is an escape from the world we live in. None of us are fans because of the political views of the players. The adults in the room need to step up and speak the truth. Tell the kids to fuck off and play football or take a hike. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 6
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I am watching LHN right now and they’re showing our 2004 game against aggy. Watching it has made me long for what has been missing from UT football. Of course, number 1 is having a kick ass team with VY leading us to glory. However, it is more than that. Seeing the replay of this game brought back a bunch of good memories going to Austin or College Station on T+1. Nothing better than chanting “Poor Aggies” at Kyle after beating them and gloating afterwards at some bar in Nothgate. When I was growing up we played 3 rivalry games a year. We only have 1 now. We used to play in the best conference in the country. Remember the excitement of having a top 10 Nebraska team coming to Austin and us beating them.

The point of all this is reminiscing is to say is it still fucking worth it with all that’s going on. Getting rid of the Eyes is going to do more damage to our fan base than anyone can imagine. I know the Cabal is ready and willing to get rid of the Eyes and are proud of these players blah blah blah. I am not. They have driven wedge between our alumni, school and football team. Now Overshown is threatening to not participate. I am going to say this loud so those in the cheap seats can hear. GO FUCK YOURSELF. I would rather have a team of walkons whose dream was to wear burnt orange and walk on the field at DKR than some punk throwing ultimatums. These kids need to be told no.

What makes college football special is the traditions and community spirit that is forged at the games. Memories of good times with friends tailgating and memorable plays you were there to watch. I don’t care about the political opinions of UT players. I don’t care about your fucking opinions and no one wants to hear mine. The demand to get rid of the Eyes will rip through the fabric that binds us. It will piss off the vast majority of our fan base - including the ones that matter with deep pockets. We have already had so much taken from us that made UT football special. We have gone through a decade of losing, the cunty reign of Steve Patterson and the gross incompetence of Chollie. You put people through shit like that, they’re going to reassess. This fucking bullshit demand of the players AT THIS TIME, is so deviously destructive. It is a kill shot to our program. We obsess about the Horns because it is an escape from the world we live in. None of us are fans because of the political views of the players. The adults in the room need to step up and speak the truth. Tell the kids to fuck off and play football or take a hike. 

Those kids you want to tell to fuck off can effectively end the Texas football program if they so choose. They know that now.

17 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Downside of closing the bars due to COVID, there isn’t anyone to cut you off when you’ve had just a few too many.

• Haha 1

The people who can do the most damage have  - for the most part - little long-term skin in the game when it comes to UT, and they can just walk away and watch it burn to the ground. And I’m not just talking about players, I’m also talking about administration, CDC (I’m a fan so far), faculty, and the media. There are a lot of people who could be here for a drive-by.

• Like 3

The people who can do the most damage have  - for the most part - little long-term skin in the game when it comes to UT, and they can just walk away and watch it burn to the ground. And I’m not just talking about players, I’m also talking about administration, CDC (I’m a fan so far), faculty, and the media. There are a lot of people who could be here for a drive-by.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Those kids you want to tell to fuck off can effectively end the Texas football program if they so choose. They know that now.

Wrong.  The Texas football program will go on with or without them.  Not saying that's right or fair but that is the reality of the situation.  Texas football will continue to get players regardless.  That is the dumbest thing Iv'e ever heard.  Please go back to the political board.  

• Like 4

I don't know why anyone would think the lyrics to The Eyes are about slavery because they're obviously about pedophilia.

The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the livelong day.

This obviously refers to all the pedophiles in Texas staring at your kids.

You cannot get away.

No matter where your kids go the pedophiles will follow them around watching them

Do not think you can escape them
At night or early in the morn -

The morning and at night is the best time to watch them because they will be getting dressed and undressed

The Eyes of Texas are upon you
Til Gabriel blows his horn.

This is obviously just a euphemism for what the pedophile is doing while he's watching your kids

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

As I said. I’d rather have walkons or go Ivy League and have athletes without scholarships than to give into these assholes trying to tear us apart. I want guys who can’t wait to hit the field and wear burnt orange. Not assholes making ultimatums. I’d rather have that and keep the Eyes than get rid of it and feed these overprivileged kids 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Look man while I agree with you that this shit is getting massively overblown, I also think that is too narrow minded of a perspective to have on this.  The players feel like the song and traditions are racist and they are using the leverage they have to change it.  I'ts not necessarily that I have a problem with that.  It's the constant "if you don't do what I say at this moment then you are a terrible person"  thing that pisses me off.  The University isn't just about the players, alumni, boosters, fans, etc...  We are all in this together.  But some motherfuckers are drawing lines in between everything to make that not the case.  It's completely asinine and non productive.  These players have a voice.  And whether it's because it was brought to their attention just now or not is beyond the point.  We should support them as a TEAM  no matter what they do.  If one player of the team feels this way we should reach out and try to understand.  That doesn't mean that we should just agree and not think about every demand that is being made but we definitely need to have a long serious conversation about the issues.    This fucking ridiculous ideological view point of you're either wit us or against us has to stop.  We all bleed orange.  A lot of you motherfuckers are just pandering and alleviating yourself of the responsibility to have the conversation by just agreeing with everything the players say, and anyone who goes against that is an asshole apparently.  Most of y'all' need to go home and have a real long serious conversation with yourself about the nature of your own reality.  

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Haven’t they already done that? We’ve sucked shit through a straw for the past decade and I don’t see VY walking through the door.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

I'm completely open to having the conversation, listening, and meeting any player demands that can be reasonably met, but is anyone else not bewildered that this is a phenomenon primarily happening at Texas with so many players threatening to quit?

Yes, we are southern school in a Confederate state with plenty of racist history to be ashamed of.  We are also probably the most progressive and inclusive school in the former confederacy.  Why does it seem like this has become a UT issue and not a SEC, Clemson, or FSU issue?  Why isn't half of Auburn's team threatening to quit playing?

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'm completely open to having the conversation, listening, and meeting any player demands that can be reasonably met, but is anyone else not bewildered that this is a phenomenon primarily happening at Texas with so many players threatening to quit?

Yes, we are southern school in a Confederate state with plenty of racist history to be ashamed of.  We are also probably the most progressive and inclusive school in the former confederacy.  Why does it seem like this has become a UT issue and not a SEC, Clemson, or FSU issue?  Why isn't half of Auburn's team threatening to quit playing?

Ahhh, Herman is kind of encouraging it.

We have a pretty long history of protesting (west mall was always fun). They are just doing what thousands before have done for the causes they believe in. 

Some support. Some disagree. As it should be, but few took their ball and went home. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't know why anyone would think the lyrics to The Eyes are about slavery because they're obviously about pedophilia.

All the livelong day.

You cannot get away.

No matter where your kids go the pedophiles will follow them around watching them

The morning and at night is the best time to watch them because they will be getting dressed and undressed

This is obviously just a euphemism for what the pedophile is doing while he's watching your kids

Hits close to home cuz s austin’s mom blew my horn last night. 

Edited by SaucyJack

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Based on what a black HS schoolmate told me a couple of years ago, Austin was hardly paradise for Black students in the 80s and early 90s and now that the city is much less Black than it was then, it might be even more alienating. 

6 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Nah that is first class horseshit. They can effectively end their careers at Texas. Overshown, has pretty much made that choice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Because we have a lot of idiots who claim to care about the issues the players are expressing but they don't want to do anything other than shit on anyone who wants to have an honest discussion about what may disagree with their point of view.  There are a lot of people just mining for morality points whether they are aware of it or not.  Then you have other people who are just dismissive of the issues and tone deaf.  It creates divide and a lot of nonsense that could be taken care of if people would just listen to views that are different then theirs without having an emotional response like "YOUR RACIST" or some bullshit like that.  People are stupid and it's reflected on this board.

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

All the livelong day.

You cannot get away.

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Mileslong said:

It's in the key of G major.  I see

G, C (subdominant "all the live long"G, A, D (dominant "wayyyy") 

And then it resolves back to G.

I'm no expert in music theory but it looks like  the same chord progression that had been in use for 300 years.  Minstrel shows would have used it because it was normal.

Edited by notre dame joe
  • Like 2

And since Texas Fight echoes the same chord progression it has to go, too.  Right?  That's the logical extension of the Dump The Eyes argument.

My future bride and I were two of those in attendance at Rice Stadium on October 24, 1970 for the Texas game.  The stadium was packed with 70,000 plus on that pleasant Saturday night.  At least six or seven thousand were Rice fans.  When the Longhorn band struck up The Eyes and all those hands and voices were raised, it was cool and intimidating to me personally, as a lifelong Alabama and college football fan.  My girl tapped me in the shoulder and pointed to the VIP seats high above us.  There stood LBJ and Lady Bird.  He looked great in a snow-white Western cut suit, white hair flowing and much longer than when he was prez, white stetson doffed for The Eyes, which he was singing with what appeared to be gusto, right arm raised with the hook 'em salute.  

The moment is engraved in my memory as a positive time in my life.  And Rice's Carl Swierc ran the opening kickoff back for a touchdown.  Elated, we Rice students correctly and swiftly deduced we would lose big but that the mighty Longhorns would have to come from behind to do it, which they promptly did, 45-21.  I think Wooster had about 200 yards rushing.  

There appear to be three basic options here:

A.  Keep it

B.  Dump it

C.  Revise the lyrics

All U of Texas voices (admin, students, alums, football family, fans) should be heard and considered.  Make the call with an eye to the future and emerge better than ever.  Who makes the call?  Fuck if I know, but they need to take it seriously and not knee-jerk.

Edited by Bama Llama
Fuck it spelled fuck wrong
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Apex73 said:

Yea but what you "feel" is just that.  That doesn't make your assessment accurate.  When did everyone become a such vaginas?

The more convinced someone is that their political opinion is logic-based and devoid of emotion, the more emotional it is likely to be. I'm not singling you out on that, by the way, it's true of every political opinion held by everyone on every part of the political spectrum.

I'm sick of seeing "your fragile fucking feelings" as a political rejoinder. ALL political opinions are emotional, end of story. We don't get anywhere by putting this in the dialogue.

Look man while I agree with you that this shit is getting massively overblown, I also think that is too narrow minded of a perspective to have on this.  The players feel like the song and traditions are racist and they are using the leverage they have to change it.  I'ts not necessarily that I have a problem with that.  It's the constant "if you don't do what I say at this moment then you are a terrible person"  thing that pisses me off.  The University isn't just about the players, alumni, boosters, fans, etc...  We are all in this together.  But some motherfuckers are drawing lines in between everything to make that not the case.  It's completely asinine and non productive.  These players have a voice.  And whether it's because it was brought to their attention just now or not is beyond the point.  We should support them as a TEAM  no matter what they do.  If one player of the team feels this way we should reach out and try to understand.  That doesn't mean that we should just agree and not think about every demand that is being made but we definitely need to have a long serious conversation about the issues.    This fucking ridiculous ideological view point of you're either wit us or against us has to stop.  We all bleed orange.  A lot of you motherfuckers are just pandering and alleviating yourself of the responsibility to have the conversation by just agreeing with everything the players say, and anyone who goes against that is an asshole apparently.  Most of y'all' need to go home and have a real long serious conversation with yourself about the nature of your own reality.  

Look, Black America, we're going to need you to stop being so uppity and demanding instant change. As the last 250 years have shown, if you just have a little patience and compliance and trust in the affluent white oligarchs who run this country, you'll be well on your way to social equality. We promise. Now, shut up and go beat the hell out of each other without a wage, to enrich and entertain us.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Apex73 said:

The players feel like the song and traditions are racist and they are using the leverage they have to change it.  I'ts not necessarily that I have a problem with that.  It's the constant "if you don't do what I say at this moment then you are a terrible person"  thing that pisses me off.

There are two issues in this post and line of thought that I would like to address. I believe both play into each other. I see this second line of thinking brought up a lot in defense. Many people on one side “feel” that their views are not being heard. And once they voice their opinions, they are labeled racist and shouted down. They feel that is unfair and counter productive to change. You would like the other side to listen to your point and understand that you are not a racist. That is fair. No one who sang the song over the past 90 years or so is racist. No one is saying that. Loving that song was not racist. It was about school pride and celebrating the University. No one is debating that. That is a valid an true perspective. 

[“new” information has entered the conversation] 

1. Are Minstrel songs racist? 
2. Is “I’ve been working on a railroad” a minstrel song?

3. Was this song with new lyrics performed at a minstrel show in black face?

I’m going to let you do your own research on the above three questions. Those are the basis of the “new” information. I say new in quotation because while it may be new to you and me, and many of the players, it had been recognized by others before. The objections throughout different parts of history have been documented in this thread. However, most, because of the recently focus of BLM only just now are learning about these facts

Now, the players and many others have learned about these facts and would like it changed. They have presented their facts to you and you say I don’t believe you. I do not agree with your facts. What should that side feel about you? How should they label your opinion? They presented facts showing the songs origins and your opinion is that their facts are bullshit and you don’t believe them. How should they label you? Are you racist? Are you a terrible person? Probably not either, but you are someone that loves their school song and is unwilling to see the other side. No one is saying you are racist for singing the song for a hundred years, but after seeing the new information, and you still want to sing it. What should you be labeled? But how can you blame them for their reaction? To make matters worse, most of the alumni is white, the color of the people who originally owned slaves, and these are the people telling them no no, those facts aren’t facts. You are wrong. We really like singing this song. But we’re not racists for doing it. Your using your feelings as leverage to change my song. 

I bolded those words because they unknowingly or not attempt to lessen the veracity of the request. By using them, you have already degraded their facts to just feelings. You have degraded their request for change as manipulation. They’re not trying to manipulate you . They’re being pretty clear about it. That song was originally written as a minstrel song. Minstrel songs are racist. It was co-opted by a student and sung in black face. They want to represent a university that doesn’t celebrate its racist past. It was a part of our history. That is fine. It can be in the museum. But maybe we should all come together under a new song that celebrates everyone.