Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Everyone knows the issue that separates good schools from bad is the level of parental involvement in education. The parents who value education and impart the importance of it to get ahead will have kids going to good schools. Poor Asian kids are kicking ass in NYC speciality and talented and gifted schools and have EARNED far more seats than their percentage of the population. That’s a problem for the mayor who thinks that the composition of such schools should match the racial breakdown of the city which has nothing to do with merit.

The problem is with this analysis is that white people in America have long been the beneficiaries of a social system where they can get ahead regardless of merit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Same here. It has been the butt of jokes since I was in school.

Really? People make jokes to you about The Eyes because it is it the tune to I've Been Working on the Railroad? I hope you've gotten therapy and friends with better jokes.

I remember once at the ou sucks game, probably 1971, okies sitting by us stood and said let's sing I've been Working on the Railroad. Like I gave a fuck. They are hurt we have a loud, proud song and they don't. 

We used to sing I've been Working on the Railroad back in the 50's when I was in grade school. I never knew we were racists when we sang it in 3rd grade. Shame on us. Who and where does anyone sing it in 2020? 

Edited by Texas73
  • Like 2

The most hilarious thing to me about this thread is you have people openly calling people racist without a shred of evidence for that.  And I heard one poster justify it by saying well what are we supposed to think or what are the players supposed to think if you disagree?  Maybe it's your own problem with racism that you have in your head and you are prescribing that onto other people who disagree with you.  That's what it seems like to me.  It's this weird idea that I didn't know I was racist therefore everyone else must be too.  Ask yourself do you know what people who disagree with this are thinking or is that what you think they are thinking because you think that way?  Get over yourself.

• Like 2

A group of blind men heard that a strange animal, called an elephant, had been brought to the town, but none of them were aware of its shape and form. Out of curiosity, they said: "We must inspect and know it by touch, of which we are capable". So, they sought it out, and when they found it they groped about it. The first person, whose hand landed on the trunk, said, "This being is like a thick snake". For another one whose hand reached its ear, it seemed like a kind of fan. As for another person, whose hand was upon its leg, said, the elephant is a pillar like a tree-trunk. The blind man who placed his hand upon its side said the elephant, "is a wall". Another who felt its tail, described it as a rope. The last felt its tusk, stating the elephant is that which is hard, smooth and like a spear.

1 minute ago, Deej said:

If a compromise is reached that allows a version of "The Eyes of Texas" to continue being played, can it include a provision that the band play it at the correct tempo?

We will never get this shit fixed. 

15 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

The most hilarious thing to me about this thread is you have people openly calling people racist without a shred of evidence for that.  And I heard one poster justify it by saying well what are we supposed to think or what are the players supposed to think if you disagree?  Maybe it's your own problem with racism that you have in your head and you are prescribing that onto other people who disagree with you.  That's what it seems like to me.  It's this weird idea that I didn't know I was racist therefore everyone else must be too.  Ask yourself do you know what people who disagree with this are thinking or is that what you think they are thinking because you think that way?  Get over yourself.

Sounds exactly like something a racist would say.

• Like 1

A black man is asking a white man to stop singing a minstrel song because it’s racist and the white man is telling him it’s not racist. 

Not only that, he’s also offended that you would call him a racist for saying that. 

We live in an upside down world. 

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Hahah this was a good strawman. Maybe we should honor people who deserve to be honored, for as you said “doing things” and not whatever rich asshole wants his name on a building. If all we do is name buildings after rich donors, that pretty much makes us whores. 

Silly me, I always thought if someone wanted to donate millions of their own money that they might be pretty generous souls. 

Is there an income level where you become an "asshole"or is it based on net worth or giving? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sounds exactly like something a racist would say.

Lol see what I mean?  That's way to easy of a conclusion to make.  Unless you are trolling (high possibility) then you have no evidence of that and are drawing your own conclusion to fit your narrative.  Probably because you are uncomfortable with your own racism and you are putting that on me now.  What a fucking ignorant comment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Apex73 said:

We live in a world where people don't think for themselves and have their heads firmly shoved up their own asses.  And that is never more apparent than every time you post some nonsense like this.  Btw I guess this doesn't apply to you because on another thread I saw you say that the Mississippi State players should just get over a joking tweet Mike Leach sent out about killing his wife.  Your'e a hypocrite.  You just pick and choose which people to shit on based on the bullshit narrative you have in your head.

Your presence on this board is fucking horrible

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Lol see what I mean?  That's way to easy of a conclusion to make.  Unless you are trolling (high possibility) then you have no evidence of that and are drawing your own conclusion to fit your narrative.  Probably because you are uncomfortable with your own racism and you are putting that on me now.  What a fucking ignorant comment.

Oh Jesus, Barbara.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Silly me, I always thought if someone wanted to donate millions of their own money that they might be pretty generous souls. 

Is there an income level where you become an "asshole"or is it based on net worth or giving? 

Very generous souls 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/sep/13/jeffrey-epstein-harvard-donations

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/10/03/sackler-family-donations-imperial-college-london-university-sussex-yale/3849912002/

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/harvey-weinstein-scandal-usc-1202586250/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

So out of thousands of donations of millions dollars, you're going with that being representative? Have you met more rich assholes or poor assholes? 

• Like 2

How many corporations that make most of their money exploiting kids and other workers overseas have created ads telling us how woke they are with regard to diversity here in the us. A lot them have even given substantial amounts to the BLM movement
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, BradInATX said:
23 hours ago, MirrOlure said:
....and you’ll continue to presume, generalize and label. Time to wrap the brisket. Peace

Post the after on the smoking thread. I have a pork butt on that's got a mind of it's own. Fighting the urge to foil it through the stall.

I know it’s a day late, but your choice of pork butt over brisket makes me question your judgement. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Some thoughts on the Eyes of Texas:

Sinclair wrote a poem before he wrote a song.  These lines from the poem:

The eyes of Texas are upon you.
  They’re with you all the way.

Were changed to these lines for the song:

The eyes of Texas are upon you.
  You cannot get away.

The poem ends with the lines: 

Vandyke brown, vermillion, sepia, Prussian blue,
  Ivory black and crimson lac, and eyes of every hue.

UT has the original poem on a scrap of paper, complete with hand written edits.  Sinclair thought enough of it to keep it and somehow it ended up in the archives.

I think, if we jettison the song, it is unlikely that we will ever have something like it that unifies the community.  I travelled around the SWC in the 1980s and heard a lot of forgettable alma maters.  Before the game, we would play the Eyes of Texas and you could see how many Texas fans were at the game by looking for the horns up.  And then, the home announcer would say "please turn to page 46 in your program or direct your view to the scoreboard for the words, and sing along with the band as they play our alma mater".  And we would laugh at a school where the alumni did not know the alma mater and they had to put words up on the scoreboard.  The home band would play some lame tune and the game would begin.  "Oh we love our school it is the best we will always be true to thee". That will likely be us.

The players, the larger Black community, and everyone else who was offended have the power to find forgiveness, if they want to, and advocate to change the lyrics to be more inclusive.  If they find value in what we have, they have the power to say that what happened was wrong and everyone else has the power to say we are sorry for what happened.  We all have the power to be more inclusive every day.

But maybe the offense is too much and the song can't be saved.  If so, I understand.  I hope we can find an inclusive middle ground.  Maybe it is there and maybe it is not.

We won't - there will be nothing as unifying as a hundred thousands fans singing anything like this ....win or lose.  This is what the Eyes have always meant.  Solidarity.  Players and fans singing in unison together in mutual support and admiration.  This game, my son went and stayed for basically his first full game minus his little sister that usually spelled an early exit as she got tired.  Not him.  Not this time.  

He was enthralled.  His little Horns were up 'till the very end and he was mentally and physically exhausted at the end.  Didn't make it out of the parking lot.  Just the way to adored those players like the larger than life hero's they were to him.  Complete strangers giving him high fives in the stands and laughing with him.   This is what separates CFB from the Pro's.  The pageantry and traditions.  The rivalries.  Just the amount of history carried froward by the schools. You can't just replicate that on a whim.  That night.  Win or lose, we the fans stood with our players.  All of them.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 927 E. 41st said:

So out of thousands of donations of millions dollars, you're going with that being representative? Have you met more rich assholes or poor assholes? 

I’ve met waaaay more poor assholes, but that’s because there are very few people who are truly rich. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

We won't - there will be nothing as unifying as a hundred thousands fans singing anything like this ....win or lose.  This is what the Eyes have always meant.  Solidarity.  Players and fans singing in unison together in mutual support and admiration.  This game, my son went and stayed for basically his first full game minus his little sister that usually spelled an early exit as she got tired.  Not him.  Not this time.  

He was enthralled.  His little Horns were up 'till the very end and he was mentally and physically exhausted at the end.  Didn't make it out of the parking lot.  Just the way to adored those players like the larger than life hero's they were to him.  Complete strangers giving him high fives in the stands and laughing with him.   This is what separates CFB from the Pro's.  The pageantry and traditions.  The rivalries.  Just the amount of history carried froward by the schools. You can't just replicate that on a whim.  That night.  Win or lose, we the fans stood with our players.  All of them.  

Make that 99,999 racists and one bleached blonde woman (0:31) who refuses to play along. 

54 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

I travelled around the SWC in the 1980s and heard a lot of forgettable alma maters.  Before the game, we would play the Eyes of Texas and you could see how many Texas fans were at the game by looking for the horns up.  And then, the home announcer would say "please turn to page 46 in your program or direct your view to the scoreboard for the words, and sing along with the band as they play our alma mater".  And we would laugh at a school where the alumni did not know the alma mater and they had to put words up on the scoreboard.  The home band would play some lame tune and the game would begin.  "Oh we love our school it is the best we will always be true to thee". That will likely be us.

I was either drunk or suffering from a heat stroke at one of those games in the early 80s. When Texas fans chuckled about the “page 46” reference, I proudly and loudly sang their school song using the lyrics to my HS alma mater. 

”To these hallowed halls of learning, we will bid farewell someday. Blah blah blah blah blah we learned along the way.”

It fit beautifully, and many were amused.

Yeah, that’s just what we need at Texas. At least I have most of the words figured out  

27 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I know it’s a day late, but your choice of pork butt over brisket makes me question your judgement. 

Did a 15lb brisket last weekend. Still have some leftover in the freezer. Variety is the spice of life.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

A black man is asking a white man to stop singing a minstrel song because it’s racist and the white man is telling him it’s not racist. 

Not only that, he’s also offended that you would call him a racist for saying that. 

We live in an upside down world. 

It’s not a racist song and the reasons claimed are specious at best. Nothing proving it was sung in black face. We are not going to jump because a bunch of spoiled athletes that have never won shit are complaining. People on my side far outnumber yours. If the school gets rid of it there will be people like me singing it regardless. Then you will have a situation where a small overly sensitive group of students manipulated by a middling ethnic studies professor that took away something unifying that we all loved for over 100 years.  CDC is taking his time because he knows this is a time bomb. OU and aggy are laughing at us contorting ourselves over this shit. They couldn’t have dreamed to come up something this good to derail our entire program. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 10
  • Fuck You 2

People on my side far outnumber yours.

When you start seeing the process for social equality like this, you probably need a shrink. Regardless of how you feel about this particular issue this isn't high school and we're not going to meet after school at the flagpole and throw blows. You should get your testosterone supplements lowered a bit.

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

It’s not a racist song and the reasons claimed are specious at best. Nothing proving it was sung in black face. We are not going to jump because a bunch of spoiled athletes that have never won shit are complaining. People on my side far outnumber yours. If the school gets rid of it there will be people like me singing it regardless. Then you will have a situation where a small overly sensitive group of students manipulated by a middling ethnic studies professor that took away something unifying that we all loved for over 100 years.  CDC is taking his time because he knows this is a time bomb. OU and aggy are laughing at us contorting ourselves over this shit. They couldn’t have dreamed to come up something this good to derail our entire program. 

Uh, aggy has way bigger problems over a statue of a guy nicknamed “Negro Killer” that all their good ole ags refuse to even consider removing. The Eyes of Texas is nothing compared to that. 

11 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

They couldn’t have dreamed to come up something this good to derail our entire program. 

JFC. Get a hold of yourself. Even Satyanash thinks you’re being a giant gaping vagina. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Just replace it with Wine Wine Wine (by the Nightcaps -1959).

Something like

first verse

ninety-bottles of beer on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of beer...take one down pass it around ninety-eight bottles of beer

second verse same melody

something about horns whipping aggy ass

Go Home

6 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Based on my own life and performance, you can be flat broke and still be an asshole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Hahah this was a good strawman. Maybe we should honor people who deserve to be honored, for as you said “doing things” and not whatever rich asshole wants his name on a building. If all we do is name buildings after rich donors, that pretty much makes us whores. 

No that makes you normal.  Doers provide the money to build the palaces on your campus to give status to the Talkers.  If a SJW had a million dollars to donate, it's because he got it from a productive citizen. 

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I'm pretty sure pork butt is racist because it was eaten in the 19th Century South.  Not sure about brisket.  But any conversation about food ethics has to break Godwin's Law and remind people that Hitler was a vegetarian. 

Edited by notre dame joe
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Definitely has to be a factor as well. That poor guy, walking into the job under these unprecedented circumstances. They should name a building after him if he gets us through this mess. 

Why? They’d just tear it down in 30 years for him being a racist when they find out he ate Aunt Jemima syrup.

• Like 1

Lol... he’ll have his choice of P5 school if/when he enters the portal.  Get out of here with your bullshit.
I’m proud of DeMarvion.  Our administration as usual has done jack shit.  Mississippi changed a state flag extremely quick.  I won’t be surprised if more player sit out as well.  Unlike our moronic administration, these kids are actually trying to bring progress to the University.  It’s laughable that we still have statues and buildings named after racists.  This should be a no brainer.  It shouldn’t take 3 fucking weeks to initiate change.  And stop with the bullshit about donations stopping.  UT will be fine.  No one person is bigger than this university.  We’ve got plenty of fucking money.
To be fair, the Mississippi flag thing wasnt quite as overnight as it seems. Keeping the stars and bars in the corner of the flag was already a compromise, and one that has been under attack ever since it was adopted a while back. This whole thing was just a convenient excuse to change it once and for all and be done with it.

I'm completely open to having the conversation, listening, and meeting any player demands that can be reasonably met, but is anyone else not bewildered that this is a phenomenon primarily happening at Texas with so many players threatening to quit?

Yes, we are southern school in a Confederate state with plenty of racist history to be ashamed of.  We are also probably the most progressive and inclusive school in the former confederacy.  Why does it seem like this has become a UT issue and not a SEC, Clemson, or FSU issue?  Why isn't half of Auburn's team threatening to quit playing?

Or LSU who's mascot wasnt originally an animal, but rather actual Confederate army infantry..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Tigers

13 hours ago, Apex73 said:

The most hilarious thing to me about this thread is you have people openly calling people racist without a shred of evidence for that. 

No one has called anyone racist in the thread, as far as I have read.

People whose entire worldview is shaped by feeling like a victim but no one is oppressing them.

boot.jpg

7 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

No one has called anyone racist in the thread, as far as I have read.

People whose entire worldview is shaped by feeling like a victim but no one is oppressing them.

boot.jpg

Then you haven't read very much of it. Especially go back in look at Brad in Atx's posts.