Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

13 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

No that makes you normal.  Doers provide the money to build the palaces on your campus to give status to the Talkers.  If a SJW had a million dollars to donate, it's because he got it from a productive citizen. 

Non-doers also donate money. Not everyone with money earned it through work, especially in Texas.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:09 AM, Pancho said:

No it’s not false.  I never specified what type of $$$$ separates urban vs suburban school districts.  You assumed that on your own. 

This issue is 100% $$$$$ and any idiot knows that. 

Urban districts spend more per student than the suburban districts.  That's a fact, no matter how much you spit in the wind.

As someone that deals in negotiations all the time. The best deal is one that makes both parties feel unsatisfied. Every single successful negotiation I've ever been a part of has concluded this way and I assume this will as well.

I will always sing The Eyes in my head, because it holds a special place in my heart. Shit I sing it in my head most of the game because I'm a superstitious nut case when it comes to Texas Sports. I grew up in the 80's and never thought about it being anything other than an all-inclusive song to bring Texas fans together at the beginning and end of a game regardless of outcome. If it upsets my friends or fellow Longhorn family members I don't mind singing a new song that does the same. It's just going to take some time for the new song to mean as much as this song has meant my first 43 years. 

If it means that it can bring all people, not just fans of Texas, closer together, I'm all for that. As a white american male, I understand there are courtesies I've been afforded based on my skin color, known or unknown. I wasn't raised to treat people differently that way but I understand it. I'm an old soul and I think my largest reaction to this issue is that the "kids" are asking for it. My "these kids today and their music" jumps up and reacts instinctively negative to the suggested changes. I asked myself if I would have an issue if there was a more vocal voice of older adults asking for it and my answer was no. I'm also super competitive and it feels like I'm somehow losing if I relent, but when I step back and look at both sides of the issue as a negotiator, I can see that my view is short sighted.

At the end of the day, I want someone playing/representing The University because they are proud to be a part of it. Singing a song, wearing a t-shirt, or throwing up the "Hook 'em" to me means that we are all on the same team and love the Longhorns. I feel like a lot of people feel the song should stay because if it changes they will in some way lose a part of what makes The University special to them. I now see this potential change as a way to make The University even more special and solidify the greatness that is The University of Texas. "What starts here, changes the world." and we should continue to do so for the betterment of all mankind. Hook'em for ever!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 11:46 PM, Valmy77 said:

You know who wasn't a Confederate in this state at his age? The other big donor, George Brackenridge. Should have let him put Lincoln statues up. Sure it would have been a little controversial back in 1883 but much better today.

He's had a series of dorms named after him.  Nothing controversial on campus about honoring Brackenridge.  He was born in Indiana, moved here when young and had 3 brothers fight for the Confederacy.  Guess we can't have a Brackenridge name on anything.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 12:11 PM, David Dennison said:

The problem is with this analysis is that white people in America have long been the beneficiaries of a social system where they can get ahead regardless of merit. 

What planet do you live on?  Obviously its not one where the majority of the poor are white.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:29 PM, Apex73 said:

The most hilarious thing to me about this thread is you have people openly calling people racist without a shred of evidence for that.  And I heard one poster justify it by saying well what are we supposed to think or what are the players supposed to think if you disagree?  Maybe it's your own problem with racism that you have in your head and you are prescribing that onto other people who disagree with you.  That's what it seems like to me.  It's this weird idea that I didn't know I was racist therefore everyone else must be too.  Ask yourself do you know what people who disagree with this are thinking or is that what you think they are thinking because you think that way?  Get over yourself.

Translation:  MUH TURDITION DERRRR

Siap...

Former Texas Longhorns linebacker and All-Southwest honoree Brian Jones weighed in on the “The Eyes of Texas” controversy in a recent column with the Houston Chronicle.

He suggest not just the players, but coaches, fans, everyone, kneel to the song.

From the Chronicle: “To mark the moment of the song’s transformation from school song to anthem of accountability, I hope the team will not only sing along with their “Hook ’em Horns” hand sign, but do so kneeling, signaling not submission but instead taking a reverential pose to convey their embrace of the solemnity of the moment. The idea of a stadium full of Longhorns players and fans kneeling together is almost too moving to imagine.With that new underpinning, the song will take on even greater meaning, whether it is sung at sporting events or Longhorns family reunions and weddings. We are fond of saying that “what starts at the University of Texas changes the world,” and we can prove it with this move toward a new era of justice and equality for all.  I’ve always loved the song’s ending, when we shout, “The Eyes of Texas are upon you until Gabriel blows his horn.” In the coming days, when we sing that together, we will be reminded that a struggle as old as humanity can be brought to a heavenly conclusion on earth in our lifetimes. That will be a legacy that any old athlete, any human would be proud to have.”

(Kinda hard for fans in the stands to kneel, but the coaches, players, and folks on the field could certainly kneel.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Non-doers also donate money. Not everyone with money earned it through work, especially in Texas.

More than 80% of all American millionaires are self made; fewer than 20% inherited at least 10% of their wealth.  More than 50% of all millionaires did not inherit a dollar.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap...

Former Texas Longhorns linebacker and All-Southwest honoree Brian Jones weighed in on the “The Eyes of Texas” controversy in a recent column with the Houston Chronicle.

He suggest not just the players, but coaches, fans, everyone, kneel to the song.

From the Chronicle: “To mark the moment of the song’s transformation from school song to anthem of accountability, I hope the team will not only sing along with their “Hook ’em Horns” hand sign, but do so kneeling, signaling not submission but instead taking a reverential pose to convey their embrace of the solemnity of the moment. The idea of a stadium full of Longhorns players and fans kneeling together is almost too moving to imagine.With that new underpinning, the song will take on even greater meaning, whether it is sung at sporting events or Longhorns family reunions and weddings. We are fond of saying that “what starts at the University of Texas changes the world,” and we can prove it with this move toward a new era of justice and equality for all.  I’ve always loved the song’s ending, when we shout, “The Eyes of Texas are upon you until Gabriel blows his horn.” In the coming days, when we sing that together, we will be reminded that a struggle as old as humanity can be brought to a heavenly conclusion on earth in our lifetimes. That will be a legacy that any old athlete, any human would be proud to have.”

(Kinda hard for fans in the stands to kneel, but the coaches, players, and folks on the field could certainly kneel.)

Also this podcast...         (Siap)

Edited by LTtxfan

More than 80% of all American millionaires are self made; fewer than 20% inherited at least 10% of their wealth.  More than 50% of all millionaires did not inherit a dollar.

Two things here. First post the source. Second, millionaires making sure their kids get incredibly good educations and jobs out of college makes it almost a certainty that the kids become millionaires before they inherit anything.
  • Like 4

Then you haven't read very much of it. Especially go back in look at Brad in Atx's posts.

It's telling that you equate having to deal with the loss of symbols of racism to having a boot on your head. Not that anyone on this thread is surprised by that.

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Two things here. First post the source. Second, millionaires making sure their kids get incredibly good educations and jobs out of college makes it almost a certainty that the kids become millionaires before they inherit anything.

The book is: "The Millionaire Next Door."

Getting a good education and a good job = earning money through work.  In fact, that precisely is the path to prosperity. 

The poster I was responding to stated "Not everyone with money earned it through work, especially in Texas."  The implication he was trying to make is that Texas is full of a bunch of millionaires living off their O&G trust funds.  Sure, there are some of those.  They are the large minority.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's telling that you equate having to deal with the loss of symbols of racism to having a boot on your head. Not that anyone on this thread is surprised by that.

No dumbfuck.  I was pointing out that earlier you kept calling me racist without a shred of evidence to support your baseless claim.  I wasn't reacting to the photo at all.

The way The Millionaire Next Door works is that basically millionaire doesn't mean much anymore.

It's probably still a fairly rarefied percentage of the American population because Americans are lousy savers.  Looks like its about 3% of the US population. It means they'll probably have a comfortable retirement if health doesn't get in the way.

But a millionaire is middle or upper middle class that saved and invested and probably made good home choices and did not live an extravagant lifestyle.  Not much more.  Relative to the "moneyed elite" that wield power and have fuck you money, there are probably 100x more millionaires, maybe even 1000x.  A millionaire is not fuck you money.  Neither is a multi-millionaire.  Multiple 10s or 100s of millions is getting there.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, Stannis said:

So what you're saying is, a whole lot of the richest Americans inherited all or sizable portion of their wealth.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The way The Millionaire Next Door works is that basically millionaire doesn't mean much anymore.

It's probably still a fairly rarefied percentage of the American population because Americans are lousy savers.  Looks like its about 3% of the US population. It means they'll probably have a comfortable retirement if health doesn't get in the way.

But a millionaire is middle or upper middle class that saved and invested and probably made good home choices and did not live an extravagant lifestyle.  Not much more.  Relative to the "moneyed elite" that wield power and have fuck you money, there are probably 100x more millionaires, maybe even 1000x.  A millionaire is not fuck you money.  Neither is a multi-millionaire.  Multiple 10s or 100s of millions is getting there.

Thats what I was thinking. It’s not that hard to be a millionaire now a days. 

Edited by Xian

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Also this podcast...         (Siap)

Sorry to say this but after standing a game in the heat, the last thing anyone could pay me to do is kneel. As to an entire crowd of fans, there is not a stadium in America that would allow it to be physically possible.

Urban districts spend more per student than the suburban districts.  That's a fact, no matter how much you spit in the wind.

One extremely significant factor that isn’t reflected in district spending per student is parental involvement with both time and money (extracurricular and donations to PTA that gets funneled into the school). I can’t cite any numbers but I would imagine that involvement will be heavily weighted in favor of suburban districts.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Have our LBs tweeted out anything about all the young minorities that were murdered this weekend?

If they did, would you actually give a shit about what they want changed? Somehow I doubt it. They don't have to tweet about every young minority murdered over the weekend. They are wanting specific changes from the university they attend and play for. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

One extremely significant factor that isn’t reflected in district spending per student is parental involvement with both time and money (extracurricular and donations to PTA that gets funneled into the school). I can’t cite any numbers but I would imagine that involvement will be heavily weighted in favor of suburban districts.

Yes it much harder for single parent families to be heavily involved with both time and money.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

If they did, would you actually give a shit about what they want changed? Somehow I doubt it. They don't have to tweet about every young minority murdered over the weekend. They are wanting specific changes from the university they attend and play for. 

So then Black Lives don't really matter. If you want them to have a voice, I do, then be consistent with your messaging. Remember this didn't start with statues, building names, or the Eyes. It started because of the brutal murder of a black man.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So then Black Lives don't really matter. If you want them to have a voice, I do, then be consistent with your messaging. Remember this didn't start with statues, building names, or the Eyes. It started because of the brutal murder of a black man.

No, you're conflating two different things. They already did their march and made their voices heard on BLM. Now they want to change icons to racism at UT like statues, building names, and debatably, the Eyes. Just because they don't speak about every young black man or woman killed over a given weekend doesn't mean their message is inconsistent. They are using their voices after becoming active based on George Floyd's murder. This trying to catch them as being inconsistent so you can write off what they're wanting is disingenuous at best. Just like all the other ridiculous slippery slope arguments made on here. 

Edited by mdmost

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Still believe things will get worked out...

Some players anxious to play Texas Football Again!! 🤘 

I'm curious what Jordan's life experience was growing up in a small Texas town opposed to Brenan Eagles or Anthony Cook being from Waco or Houston, (still confused on that one). I'm guessing Jordan knew just about everyone in Cuero and vice-versa which probably made his experience much more pleasant. I'm guessing small town athletes experience far less racism compared to their urban school counterparts. IMO, the best way to get over racist tendencies is to get to know people. Hard to hate someone simply because of skin color once you get to know them. Now if they're an asshole it's pretty damn easy to dislike regardless of skin color. 

7 hours ago, bullet said:

He's had a series of dorms named after him.  Nothing controversial on campus about honoring Brackenridge.  He was born in Indiana, moved here when young and had 3 brothers fight for the Confederacy.  Guess we can't have a Brackenridge name on anything.

I am aware of who Brackenridge was. Littlefield wasn't born in Texas either, btw. It was just a joke about their rivalry to see who could be the biggest donor in Austin, with the fact that Brackenridge was a Unionist who served in the Lincoln administration (despite his treasonous brothers) and Littlefield was a rebel being the backdrop.

I don't think we should cancel a man because his brothers suck. I mean who wouldn't be canceled in that case?

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I'm curious what Jordan's life experience was growing up in a small Texas town opposed to Brenan Eagles or Anthony Cook being from Waco or Houston, (still confused on that one). I'm guessing Jordan knew just about everyone in Cuero and vice-versa which probably made his experience much more pleasant. I'm guessing small town athletes experience far less racism compared to their urban school counterparts. IMO, the best way to get over racist tendencies is to get to know people. Hard to hate someone simply because of skin color once you get to know them. Now if they're an asshole it's pretty damn easy to dislike regardless of skin color. 

That is a theory. I am not sure that holds up, that small towns are less racist, but it is a nice thought.

To be fair, the Mississippi flag thing wasnt quite as overnight as it seems. Keeping the stars and bars in the corner of the flag was already a compromise, and one that has been under attack ever since it was adopted a while back. This whole thing was just a convenient excuse to change it once and for all and be done with it.
The Georgia flag is an almost exact copy of the stars and bars. The Mississippi flag had the confederate battle flag in the corner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Yea, lotsa small texas towns are pretty fuckin racist

East Texas might be the most racist area in the state and is almost entirely made up of small towns. I remember playing Huffman-Hargrave in highschool and I had never heard so much racist shit in my life.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:51 PM, BradInATX said:

Yep, I'm clearly the emotional one here.

~~~Sweeeeeeeeeeeet Emooootion~~~

Talkin' bout things but nobody cares,

Wearin' out things that nobody wears,

You're calling my name but I gotta make clear,

Can't say baby where I'll be in a year

16 hours ago, David Dennison said:

So what you're saying is, a whole lot of the richest Americans inherited all or sizable portion of their wealth.

No, he’s trying to tell you only 12% inherited more than 10% of their wealth.

88% is a “whole lot”, 12% not so much.

• Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, Goodman said:

Sorry to say this but after standing a game in the heat, the last thing anyone could pay me to do is kneel. As to an entire crowd of fans, there is not a stadium in America that would allow it to be physically possible.

I’ll be happy to kneel on your wife’s neck in front of my seat.

Does she have long hair?

Edited by Armybrat

6 hours ago, BayouBill said:

East Texas might be the most racist area in the state and is almost entirely made up of small towns. I remember playing Huffman-Hargrave in highschool and I had never heard so much racist shit in my life.

Might be?

Um yeah...

The Jasper/Vidor combination pretty much confirms it. 

image.png.c1aef49940ab6c7e6b40a429b5e87137.png

On 7/3/2020 at 6:29 PM, David Dennison said:

Those kids you want to tell to fuck off can effectively end the Texas football program if they so choose. They know that now.

Nothing's over til we say it's over...was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor......

On 7/4/2020 at 12:59 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

If we follow this sound reasoning....

150yrs ago White people owned slaves. They were racists

Ergo, all White people are racist. 

Any argument otherwise is racist. 

You know what I think about all this race shit?

Richard Petty won more of them than anyone else...

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You got any objections to "Working on South Austins Mom"?

We can come up with some dandy lyrics.

Pair it up with “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door”
& you might actually have something here.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 7/6/2020 at 9:13 PM, mdmost said:

silence-is-violence-george-floyd-protest

Slippery slope somethin' somethin'...

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1