Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

Never let anyone tell you protests don't work. Incredibly proud of Josh Thompson, Caden Sterns, DeMarvion Overshown and the group for standing up and speaking out, the blowback the received was vulgar and they are examples of great Longhorns. 

Good on UT for listening. I expect more changes coming. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Never let anyone tell you protests don't work. Incredibly proud of Josh Thompson, Caden Sterns, DeMarvion Overshown and the group for standing up and speaking out, the blowback the received was vulgar and they are examples of great Longhorns. 

Good on UT for listening. I expect more changes coming. 

Absolutely, seems like this was done the correct way by both sides. Every player that put their name out there for this cause is really commendable and represents the best of the University. Feels like the first nugget of good news we've gotten on this board in a long time, feels nice. Hook'em

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

Renaming RLM with a generic name (not after any person);

Associating Heman Sweatt's name prominently at Painter Hall (ode to Sweatt vs. Painter)

"Educate....about history and context" as to the rest.

And I'm pretty sure they've previously removed all Confederate-related statues.

Why not just tear RLM down.

That place sucked just as much as the real dude

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Especially if the players who choose to leave get criticized by fans for doing so. 

The interesting thing will be do players see it impact their ability to earn dollars while they are at UT? With their ability to make $ off of their likeness this will be a great first time for players to have to deal with potential impact to their sponsorship dollars etc.

I do not think it is a big issue but I could see where some do and vote with their pocketbook. End of the day if team is winning no one will care if a player stays or not.

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

Nice compromise by the school listening to the feelings of the black players.   There will be a large microscope on who stays and who sings. 

We'll see how it plays out in '21. 

ISWYDT and I hate it. 

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

I would contribute that a demolition effort. Last set foot in that building in 1987, and just looking at it still gives me the heebeejeebees

Last stepped into that mess in 2007

Pretty sure that not much has changed since 1987.

59 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

They can put Jamail’s name on the bar/club in the new South endzone.

That, and how's about a competition to name a (new) mixed drink after ol' Joe?

The bar will need a video screen with a lopp showing Joe leaping across the table to strangle a deponent.

... coulda been a line backer, yeah?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

That, and how's about a competition to name a (new) mixed drink after ol' Joe?

The bar will need a video screen with a lopp showing Joe leaping across the table to strangle a deponent.

... coulda been a line backer, yeah?

The Fat Boy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Hope all the players are united on these decisions...

Overshown already supported it, Juwan Mitchell hasn't said anything, the other black players seem very aligned. Can't imagine the white players would have any issues. I think it's looking good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Fat Boy. 

Yeah, is my second choice. First is "Fuck You, Motherfucker", but too salty, I reckon, so maybe FYM (lotsa folks be thinking "Mack").

EDIT: Actually, "Gimme four FYMs. barkeep" rolls off the tongue nicely...

Edited by Tex Long

10 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Nice compromise by the school listening to the feelings of the black our players players.   There will be a large microscope on who stays and who sings. 

We'll see how it plays out in '21. 

To me, they are "our" players.  I, not anyone I know cares about the color of any player who represents the school.  Every fateful year, I act like a fool for the school and the uniform.  I cheered just as loud when Shipley returned the kick as I did when Young sent the masses in Red home early.  

Ride or die.  Shoulder to shoulder.  Fuck everyone else.  

PWLCDHTCF5DBBO32C53PSGOA6U.jpgMTGLKSX6INDEBKFNZ7MFZ5O7UM.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

And we rightly removed it.

ens.png

That place was awful. 

It was like a soviet morgue.

I celebrated with a pitcher at the Posse they day they demo'd that monstrosity.  We always called it "the toilet" because of all those little bathroom tiles all over the walls.  Hated that building.

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

If the team as a whole stops staying for the eyes it will eventually die out

But if they stay, isn't the university still left w/ black eyes when it comes to the public?

3 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I'm an engineer

I cannot speak to this building to which you refer.

Twas the first "academic" building I had to find on campus to meet my adviser during orientation.

It was like 101 degrees, on the opposite of campus from Jester.  Buried in the middle of BME and PHR and I couldn't find it.  And its so fucking ugly, it looks like it belongs in College Station. 

University of Texas at Austin - Burdine Hall | Burdine Hall-… | Flickr

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Have you seen the new ENS???

Yes, it's a vast improvement.  But that's not the one I was talking about.  My daughter is inclined toward math and science and computers, I'm hopeful she'll follow in my footsteps and become a UTEE as well, and get to enjoy the new building.  :)  

(on full scholarship, of course.  Otherwise ACC is looking pretty good!)

Edited by utee94

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Twas the first "academic" building I had to find on campus to meet my adviser during orientation.

It was like 101 degrees, on the opposite of campus from Jester.  Buried in the middle of BME and PHR and I couldn't find it.  And its so fucking ugly, it looks like it belongs in College Station. 

University of Texas at Austin - Burdine Hall | Burdine Hall-… | Flickr

I just assumed they tore it down when they built the Biomedical Engineering building.

Huh.

shooting star GIF