Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

I stand with the players.  Always.  No song defines our history.  The players that risk their lives every Saturday do. 

Bad move not listening to the players on this one.   We could have dropped the dumb ass song and lost absolutely nothing.  Now we risk alienating our players and it puts everyone in an awkward spot. 

• Fuck You 24

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Racist, imo.  Them Mormons like Gabriel a lot.  And they have been mean to black people.

13 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

That’s Moroni, you moron(i). 

Mormons believe that Gabrielle is the angelic form of Noah.

They're the same being.

Noah was just his name in human form while Gabrielle is his name in the angelic form.

Edited by Dnaguy

1 minute ago, DiceHands said:

I stand with the players.  Always.  No song defines our history.  The players that risk their lives every Saturday do. 

Bad move not listening to the players on this one.   We could have dropped the dumb ass song and lost absolutely nothing.  Now we risk alienating our players and it puts everyone in an awkward spot. 

Lol. They listened to everyone, including the students and alums who love the song. It's not racist in content, they're going to educate around the history, it should be fine.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Renaming RLM with a generic name (not after any person);

Associating Heman Sweatt's name prominently at Painter Hall (ode to Sweatt vs. Painter)

"Educate....about history and context" as to the rest.

And I'm pretty sure they've previously removed all random Confederate-related statues of people that had no association with UT or Texas.

They also removed statues of people who had large association with Texas (Albert Sidney Johnston - general United States Army, Texian Army, and the Confederate States Army and John Reagan - US House of Representatives from Texas, U.S. Senator from Texas) and people who had nothing to do with the Confederacy (Woodrow Wilson - I count US president as association with UT or Texas; otherwise watch out George Washington).

4 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

Fuck off. Sounds like everyone but a couple of douche rags is happy with the changes.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Lol. They listened to everyone, including the students and alums who love the song. It's not racist in content, they're going to educate around the history, it should be fine.

Correct.

But current students will become alums.

Armed with the history of the song, new students will push for change. 

Just now, texifornia said:

Seeing the player's responses so far is encouraging.  I appreciate that they all came together on this and were able to come up with a solution that seems like everyone is ok with.

I just cant help but feel like when we hear them say "please rise for the eyes of texas", its going to feel like the crowd is singing it AT a group, rather than WITH them.  When 75% of the players walk off the field during it, is it really all that special any more?  When we hear the Karens of the world criticize them for standing up for what they believe in, is it really gonna feel good to sing the song after a win or a loss? 

Again, im envisioning worst case scenario here (can you blame me? its 2020), but I hope that it doesnt become a bigger distraction than its worth.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

This is how Change is made. Conviction, patience, understanding and resolve to work the best solution for most parties.

Extremely proud of the athletes, the administration, and the fucking rich white dudes who didn't have to do shit but did anyway. 

It doesn't get more family then what just happened.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

You just nailed the biggest issue 

The players feel like this is a big win and when I see Overshown say "We Are One" I'm guessing you won't see any of the players leave the field for the song.  The school gave a lot on this deal with renaming the field, the Whittier statue and other things plus acknowledging that the Eyes had bad roots and that it wanted to continue to redefine what it stands for.  And, though not required, I'm guessing that includes all players staying on the field for it that previously did not want to in order to provide further unification.

Make no mistake - the university was willing to give a lot on this thing but it also wanted something in return.  The above was probably its one / only ask. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

The players feel like this is a big win and when I see Overshown say "We Are One" I'm guessing you won't see any of the players leave the field for the song.  The school gave a lot on this deal with renaming the field, the Whittier statue and other things plus acknowledging that the Eyes had bad roots and that it wanted to continue to redefine what it stands for.  And, though not required, I'm guessing that includes all players staying on the field for it that previously did not want to in order to provide further unification.

Make no mistake - the university was willing to give a lot on this thing but it also wanted something in return.  The above was probably its one / only ask. 

Sterns already said he won't sing it

47 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This is how Change is made. Conviction, patience, understanding and resolve to work the best solution for most parties.

Extremely proud of the athletes, the administration, and the fucking rich white dudes who didn't have to do shit but did anyway. 

It doesn't get more family then what just happened.

Wonder what Sul Ross thinks?

2 hours ago, Earl Haffler said:

It's stunning.  Broke into there a couple of years ago when I was visiting (had to get a student to let me in).  I did most of my studies in ENS back in the day.

I still haven't been inside.  Current and future students will never understand the camaraderie built when cramming for EE316 on the 3rd floor of the old ENS 😆

• Like 1

I was fully prepared to say goodbye to The Eyes, and not real sure how I feel about its perpetuation, including the concern mentioned by others that, at the end of games, some team members gathering on the field and others heading to the locker room could become divisive.  All that said, its a damn good day to be a longhorn.  I'm proud of everyone involved in this, beginning with the team members voicing initial criticism.  Hook 'em!

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

I would contribute that a demolition effort. Last set foot in that building in 1987, and just looking at it still gives me the heebeejeebees

Yeah, i didn't care too much for RLM but then again, i didn't even think to look at what person it stood for.  I just thought it was RLM like ENS. 

I've stayed out of The Eyes debate after initially venting my spleen on it.

Hopefully, now that it has been aired out, there is no lingering belief that "the eyes of Texas are upon you" is some sort of slave surveillance statement.

It became rather clear to me that there were some foul and false rumors persisting about it.  I think those rumors were given credibility without understanding by Dr. Edwards' statements about it.

Now that maybe  those have been cleared up and the facts made clear that a century's worth of students sang the song without malice toward blacks, at least insofar as the song is concerned, the divisiveness will be reduced or eliminated.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tonesky said:

including the concern mentioned by others that, at the end of games, some team members gathering on the field and others heading to the locker room could become divisive.

it will absolutely be divisive and will become a problem.  I wish these players would be a tad more selfless and just compromise and sing the damn song in the interest of unity with the fanbase after getting so many of their other demands met.  y’all are naive if you think dennison is wrong.  the issue with the eyes simply will not go away if players continue to take a stance against it.  

My take is that the Team will stay to sing the song after the game as a Team as I would think that part of the approval of keeping the song was that all parties are good with the direction that is being taken.  There may be some outliers that still have an issue with the song but with the concept of Team unity they will stay on the field to sing it.

The history and story about the origins of the poem, and the performance and adaptation of the song is out in the open.  If the statement from the president is to be accepted, the school is going to continue the dialogue and education about where The Eyes came from, and what it means.  Any player that chooses to attend The University will know more and be better versed in what those words mean, where they came from, and their decision should be fully informed on the issue.  Eyes wide open now.  Those seeking to squeeze more blood from this to dissuade future student athletes have ill intentions toward the university and its institutions, in my opinion.

• Like 5