Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

2 weeks ago: Now that we know this was sung at minstrel shows, we should stop singing The Eyes. If you disagree, you are racist and not woke as it’s insensitive to our black athletes. 

Today: This is a good compromise. Way to go UT!

Surly gonna Surly

The important thing was not to keep doing it if it made most of the players, who actually are the team, uncomfortable. Now that they have a compromise everyone seems happy with, and the players concerns were satisfactorily heard and acted on, it solves the problem.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

My FIL's cub scout troop in late 30's performed a minstrel show as part of a pack talent show.

007aecf2b5861ef07e1f285846eda16f.jpg

Well, the Cub Scouts recently made up for that by admitting girls to their ranks.

Edited by Armybrat

55 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

2 weeks ago: Now that we know this was sung at minstrel shows, we should stop singing The Eyes. If you disagree, you are racist and not woke as it’s insensitive to our black athletes. 

Today: This is a good compromise. Way to go UT!

Surly gonna Surly

2 weeks ago: THIS MEANS EVERYTHING EVER IS GOING TO BE REMOVED! 

Today: Oh we were just being giant vaginas and things actually turned out fine. Way to go UT!

Surly gonna Surly. 

• Like 7

The only thing I have to say is thank God our players and students have more sense than a lot of the fucking idiots on this board.  I'm sure this isn't the last we've heard of this forever but at least both sides have shown they can listen and have come to a compromise.  Anyone who can't see that has their heads shoved firmly up their own ass.  I support Sterns in not singing if that's what he chooses.  I have no problem with that whatsoever.  Just glad that it's not a required change for everyone else who believes the song is special.  Once again, just because YOU feel that something is bad doesn't mean that everyone shares that opinion and should have to bow to your demands and I think they get that.  Good on both sides for listening and coming to a compromise.  Now let's put all this behind us for now and play some football.  Hook Em.

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, futureman said:

you think juwan mitchell is standing with his horns up during the eyes?  sure would be nice. 

Can't control what everyone does.  I support him in his decision either way.  Just glad the song didn't become a part of cancel culture for now.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

The important thing was not to keep doing it if it made most of the players, who actually are the team, uncomfortable. Now that they have a compromise everyone seems happy with, and the players concerns were satisfactorily heard and acted on, it solves the problem.

Yea but to be fair what he is saying is there were a lot of people on here who were assuming how all the black players felt because there's this weird belief some have that all black people think the same way.  He's just pointing out the hypocrisy of the pandering and virtue signaling by those clowns.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Call me an idiot, but I think if the right people show up to the dedication of the Whittier statue and say they want to sing the eyes, the vast majority of players will most likely stay.  I'm talking Ricky, Earl, Vince, and descendants of Whittier.  

I still want them to build a statue for the guys who kidnapped Reville back in the 90s.

Also....I got teary-eyed when I read about the Jamail family gesture to Earl and Ricky. We're all burnt orange. Everyone who has walked the 40 as a student. We're family.

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Guys.  You feel that?  That’s the feeling of inclusion.  I hope some of my fellow Italians and Greeks can get some of that too. They don’t seem to be well represented 

Don't forget about Lebanese scatback Chris Gilbert.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Call me an idiot, but I think if the right people show up to the dedication of the Whittier statue and say they want to sing the eyes, the vast majority of players will most likely stay.  I'm talking Ricky, Earl, Vince, and descendants of Whittier.  

Honestly I see the players staying out for it and throwing up the hook em with team mates but not singing. After a win do you really not want to celebrate with fans and teammates?

9 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Why not just tear RLM down.

That place sucked just as much as the real dude

As a math major I took probability there in the fall of '72 and it was the PMA building. Yep, the Physics, Math, Astronomy building. It was named after R L Moore the next fall. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, speed817 said:

I still haven't been inside.  Current and future students will never understand the camaraderie built when cramming for EE316 on the 3rd floor of the old ENS 😆

I'm pretty sure I finished EE316 in the shortest number of days that was possible-- because that's how long I waited to get started on it.  

It also turned out to be one of my favorite classes and shaped the direction of my career in many ways.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, speed817 said:

I still haven't been inside.  Current and future students will never understand the camaraderie built when cramming for EE316 on the 3rd floor of the old ENS 😆

There's a special kind of camaraderie built when cramming in the ACA (portable in front of ENS as it was torn down). Probably different but also something that is shared by very few people.

2 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

There's a special kind of camaraderie built when cramming in the ACA (portable in front of ENS as it was torn down). Probably different but also something that is shared by very few people.

There’s a special kind of camaraderie built when cramming in your mother. This is shared by most of humanity. 

10 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Guys.  You feel that?  That’s the feeling of inclusion.  I hope some of my fellow Italians and Greeks can get some of that too. They don’t seem to be well represented 

Sorry man, ya’ll had Columbus, but the  mob rules against Catholics and explorers.

12 hours ago, Apex73 said:

The only thing I have to say is thank God our players and students have more sense than a lot of the fucking idiots on this board.  I'm sure this isn't the last we've heard of this forever but at least both sides have shown they can listen and have come to a compromise.  Anyone who can't see that has their heads shoved firmly up their own ass.  I support Sterns in not singing if that's what he chooses.  I have no problem with that whatsoever.  Just glad that it's not a required change for everyone else who believes the song is special.  Once again, just because YOU feel that something is bad doesn't mean that everyone shares that opinion and should have to bow to your demands and I think they get that.  Good on both sides for listening and coming to a compromise.  Now let's put all this behind us for now and play some football.  Hook Em.

Sorry dude, I hit the wrong reaction button on this post. Meant to hit the “Like” button. 

18 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yes, it's a vast improvement.  But that's not the one I was talking about.  My daughter is inclined toward math and science and computers, I'm hopeful she'll follow in my footsteps and become a UTEE as well, and get to enjoy the new building.  :)  

(on full scholarship, of course.  Otherwise ACC is looking pretty good!)

Selling computer parts not what it used to be, I guess?