Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

53 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Reading between the lines but doesn't seem like Charles is fully on board with the Eyes staying.

Yea I mean he has every right to feel that way but I never heard about him having any beef with it when he was here.  Maybe I missed something but I never expected everyone to be fully on board with it staying.  

38 minutes ago, stone oak said:

Friendly reminder that this titty baby threw an embarrassing as fuck toddler tantrum on national televsion after we lost to Kansas because Strong was (rightfully) getting fired.

He can fuck off.

Damn, I had forgotten about that.

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'm pretty sure I finished EE316 in the shortest number of days that was possible-- because that's how long I waited to get started on it.  

It also turned out to be one of my favorite classes and shaped the direction of my career in many ways.

Oh my god, fuck that class for being self-paced. This post gave me PTSD. I hate you.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I think it's hilarious that people hold sacred a song that's just new lyrics set to "I've been working on the railroad." Why would anyone give a shit if the players sing the Eyes or if they go back to the locker room while the fans sing it?  

Speaking of, I have no idea what the lyrics are to that song.

"I've been working on the railroad

All the livelong day?

I've been working on the railroad

(silence)

No clue what's next.  

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Speaking of, I have no idea what the lyrics are to that song.

"I've been working on the railroad

All the livelong day?

(silence)

No clue what's next.  

Ok...I'll bite:

All the live long day
Just to pass the time away
Can't you hear the whistle blowing
Rise up so early in the morn
Dinah, blow your horn
Dinah won't you blow
Dinah won't you blow
Dinah, won't you blow your horn
Dinah, won't you blow,
Dinah, won't you blow,
Someone's in the kitchen with dinah
Someone's in the kitchen i know
Strumming on the old banjo
Fee fie fiddle eell o
Fee fie fiddle eell o
Fee fie fiddle eell o
Strumming on the old banjo.

Now...ya know.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I think it's hilarious that people hold sacred a song that's just new lyrics set to "I've been working on the railroad." Why would anyone give a shit if the players sing the Eyes or if they go back to the locker room while the fans sing it?  

I have a feeling a large percentage of the players will simply do their prayer at midfield with the other team while Eyes is going on.  Not a big deal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Ok...I'll bite:

All the live long day
Just to pass the time away
Rise up so early in the morn
Dinah, blow your horn
Dinah won't you blow
Dinah won't you blow
Dinah, won't you blow,
Dinah, won't you blow,
Fee fie fiddle eell o
Fee fie fiddle eell o
Fee fie fiddle eell o
Strumming on the old banjo.

Now...ya know.

And who the fuck is Dinah?

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I have a feeling a large percentage of the players will simply do their prayer at midfield with the other team while Eyes is going on.  Not a big deal.

Pray. Walk to the locker room. Sit on the bench and drink a gatorade. Catch up with players they know on the opposing team. Who gives a shit. There shouldn't be compulsory parameters for what behavior is acceptable while fans sing "I've been working on the railroad."

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Back atcha, Danny Boy! ;)

55 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

and some people hold sacred some gibberish sung to the tune of an old English drinking song

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stone oak said:

Friendly reminder that this titty baby threw an embarrassing as fuck toddler tantrum on national televsion after we lost to Kansas because Strong was (rightfully) getting fired.

He can fuck off.

"Titty baby" is a term that needs to be used more often in these difficult and trying times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Pancho said:

And who the fuck is Dinah?

Wiki: The "Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah" section, with its noticeably different melody, is actually an older song that has been absorbed by "I've Been Working on the Railroad". It was published as "Old Joe, or Somebody in the House with Dinah" in London in the 1830s or '40s with music credited to J.H. Cave.[7] "Dinah" was a generic name for a slave woman and, by extension, any woman of African-American descent. 

This is probably related to the Biblical character "Dinah" from Genesis. Still don't know what the song actually means...

5 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Wiki: The "Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah" section, with its noticeably different melody, is actually an older song that has been absorbed by "I've Been Working on the Railroad". It was published as "Old Joe, or Somebody in the House with Dinah" in London in the 1830s or '40s with music credited to J.H. Cave.[7] "Dinah" was a generic name for a slave woman and, by extension, any woman of African-American descent. 

This is probably related to the Biblical character "Dinah" from Genesis. Still don't know what the song actually means...

Combined with

=

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

How about "Texas Our Texas"

Or a select verse or so since the whole thing would be too long.

Edited by SHOOTER12

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Yea its just tradition.  What's special about it is subjective.  That being said, I think you're correct that I don't think anyone should care if they go back to the locker room while the fans sing it.  Hell personally, I wouldn't care if they gave everyone the middle finger while going back to the locker room if we win all the games.

3 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Yea its just tradition.  What's special about it is subjective.  That being said, I think you're correct that I don't think anyone should care if they go back to the locker room while the fans sing it.  Hell personally, I wouldn't care if they gave everyone the middle finger while going back to the locker room if we win all the games.

Wow, I didn't take you for an ag fan...

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I knew that song separate, not as part of Railroad.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:02 PM, Saint Austin said:

I've always been in the pro-"Eyes" camp, so while I'm glad it's being retained, I also feel like the University could have given in to more of the players' requests. Getting rid of RLM was a no-brainer, but I don't see why Painter, Hogg, or even Littlefield are so sacred. I'll be interested to hear the players' replies to this.

It was a win-win all around.  I don't know why a few football players and one professor should dictate everything the university does.  Its about coming up with reasonable solutions.

Its almost like they read my earlier post about doing better than they asked when I suggested a Painter-Sweatt Hall.  They're putting the Sweatt statue up in front of Painter Hall.

And how can anyone not be happy about Campbell-Williams Field?  Apparently Jamail's family suggested it.

And if they are part of the 1% who doesn't like the eyes, they can go in the locker room.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bullet said:

It was a win-win all around.  I don't know why a few football players and one professor should dictate everything the university does.  Its about coming up with reasonable solutions.

Its almost like they read my earlier post about doing better than they asked when I suggested a Painter-Sweatt Hall.  They're putting the Sweatt statue up in front of Painter Hall.

And how can anyone not be happy about Campbell-Williams Field?  Apparently Jamail's family suggested it.

And if they are part of the 1% who doesn't like the eyes, they can go in the locker room.

Exactly.  Negotiations are just a part of almost every aspect of life.  You have to learn that for progress to be made that you don't always get your way.  Unfortunately too many people today think if you don't give into their demands then you are a terrible person especially when it comes to sensitive issues like these.  Growing up is hard but overall I'm proud of the way the players and administration handled the situation.

I'm totally opposed to this idea of letting 1% of the team head to the locker room while everyone else is outside singing the song. Either all or nothing. Otherwise it undermines the Herman mantra of doing things for the guy next to you as a way to build a family. 

3 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm totally opposed to this idea of letting 1% of the team head to the locker room while everyone else is outside singing the song. Either all or nothing. Otherwise it undermines the Herman mantra of doing things for the guy next to you as a way to build a family. 

They'll probably be around on the field. 

Herman pointedly pushed the players to have a voice and make changes, he's been better at this than he has been at actual coaching so far, he'll make it work.

Edited by texifornia
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Na I'm not a fan of making people do something they don't want to.  Say they win every game.  Would you still feel the same way?

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Well, we sang it at my grandfather’s funeral and my great aunt’s funeral which some of her former players attended.  So, me, my dad and my aunt were all going to be done if it was removed.  It means different things to different people.  Did you attend UT?

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Exactly.  Negotiations are just a part of almost every aspect of life.  You have to learn that for progress to be made that you don't always get your way.  Unfortunately too many people today think if you don't give into their demands then you are a terrible person especially when it comes to sensitive issues like these.  Growing up is hard but overall I'm proud of the way the players and administration handled the situation.

No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Herman pointedly pushed the players to have a voice and make changes, he's been better at this than he has been at actual coaching so far, he'll make it work.

sighs loudly. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Well, we sang it at my grandfather’s funeral and my great aunt’s funeral which some of her former players attended.  So, me, my dad and my aunt were all going to be done if it was removed.  It means different things to different people.  Did you attend UT?

Also, it's not holding sacred to a song. It's holding onto the truth. Some young adults screaming racism has shown who cares about virtue signaling vs the actual truth.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

Also, it's not holding sacred to a song. It's holding onto the truth. Some young adults screaming racism has shown who cares about virtue signaling vs the actual truth.

The fact is, the Eyes of Texas was originally performed by white students in black face at minstrel shows. That happened.

What truth you take from that depends on who you are. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Post .....of.......the.......year? At least best post of the summer. 

23 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

My FIL's cub scout troop in late 30's performed a minstrel show as part of a pack talent show.

007aecf2b5861ef07e1f285846eda16f.jpg

He danced for those at minstrel shows and county fairs?
Throughout the south?
Did he have dog that up and died and he still grieves after 20 years?
Does he dance now at every chance and honky tonks for drinks and tips?
  • Like 1