Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

The fact is, the Eyes of Texas was originally performed by white students in black face at minstrel shows. That happened.

What truth you take from that depends on who you are. 

Actually, the fact is it was originally performed at a minstrel show. There is no firsthand account of blackface, and not all performances at minstrel shows were in blackface. 

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Actually, the fact is it was originally performed at a minstrel show. There is no firsthand account of blackface, and not all performances at minstrel shows were in blackface. 

The fact that it was originally performed at a minstrel show is troubling enough for people who have a problem with it.

That's why this is an issue that is going to come up again every so often.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

The fact is, the Eyes of Texas was originally performed by white students in black face at minstrel shows. That happened.

What truth you take from that depends on who you are. 

I'll make a deal with you. I will support a ban on The Eyes of Texas if you will support a ban on Mo Bamba being played on campus/in the locker room as well as any other song that features the use of racial slurs. 

3 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I'll make a deal with you. I will support a ban on The Eyes of Texas if you will support a ban on Mo Bamba being played on campus/in the locker room as well as any other song that features the use of racial slurs. 

Dude don't feed this prick.  He's obviously had his head shoved firmly up his own ass this entire thread.

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

I don't support a ban on the Eyes of Texas.

But it's not up to me. Which is the whole point. This train has left the station. The end result will eventually be the ending of this particular tradition. It's not if but when.

7 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Dude don't feed this prick.  He's obviously had his head shoved firmly up his own ass this entire thread.

Through the entire thread?  The entire thread?  Dude you've got to go waaaayyy further back than that.  It runs far deeper than that.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The fact that it was originally performed at a minstrel show is troubling enough for people who have a problem with it.

I just wanted to be sure we had our facts straight.

27 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Yeah. That's why.

You’re such a miserable prick.  Right now it’s settled. Nobody is saying that it  will never change and not be eliminated in the future. For now, you’re welcome to not sing the song and apologize to black fans in the stands who choose to sing it before and after the game.  

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The only thing still worth a shit in The NY Times is the book section and the crossword puzzle

The crossword app has gotten me through a lifetime of subway delays.  It's so much better than the Post/LAT/USA Today/etc.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

You’re such a miserable prick.  Right now it’s settled. Nobody is saying that it  will never change and be eliminated in the future. For now, you’re welcome to not sing the song and apologize to black fans in the stands who choose to sing it before and after the game.  

You're about to stroke out on a message board, bruh. Maybe take a look in the mirror.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Lol, the NYT has some great writers, but they couldn't have framed this more aggressively

The local TV station ran the story yesterday that UT "rejected" the request to quite singing the "Eyes of Texas".  This was reported during the 5:00pm news.  I immediately emailed the station a copy of the letter as sent out by the Interim President along with my objection of their reporting.  Within 20 minutes I received a reply from them about the word "rejected":

Email follows:

TV Station Reply:  Thank you for writing in.  I think you bring up a great and fair point. The source on that story was the Associated Press out of Austin. I agree their wording, and as a result ours,  could have better reflected the outcome. “Rejected” assumes too much.    I appreciate you for bringing it to our attention.

Text for the story:

RACIAL INJUSTICE-TEXAS

Texas keeps 'The Eyes of Texas' despite athlete demands

The University of Texas has rejected calls by its athletes to change a school song that they believe has racist undertones. “The Eyes of Texas” has long been criticized for its connection to minstrel shows with characters in blackface in the early 1900s. The school says the song will remain. Texas interim president Jim Hartzell says the Texas community has the power to determine “what the ‘Eyes of Texas’ expect of us, what they demand of us.” 

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

That being the case, you can understand why this particular issue will continue to come up.

Yeah, which is why this feels like kicking a can down the road.

Perhaps this continuing education of the players and fans will result in perfect unity, but until that holy day we're already seeing in this thread, at this time when people are on their best behavior, the seeds of character assassination against the players who leave during The Eyes. Ideally we can avoid that and those who are incapable of discussing this without falling into personal attacks grow up by the time our players are able to take advantage of this new purported freedom.

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Just put him on ignore.  He brings zero value.  His rep only validates that the Cloak Room is a bastion of self-congratulating simpletons.

David Dennison lives in Severodvinsk, Russia.  He's a junior agent of the Federal Security Service and has spent years spouting off nauseating takes on all matters of subjects on this board and 12 others similar to the surl.  This is a "fact." 

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Lol, the NYT has some great writers, but they couldn't have framed this more aggressively

Great example of the crap narrative coming out of the majority of ‘news’ sources these days.   Thanks for posting this.   

• Like 7

Integrity (and sometimes basic spelling/grammar) in journalism is a thing of the past. The need for speed and to be first means facts are loosely checked or not at all, and editors do very little editing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ousux said:

Integrity (and sometimes basic spelling/grammar) in journalism is a thing of the past. The need for speed and to be first means facts are loosely checked or not at all, and editors do very little editing.

I mean it was never great but the speed issue in the internet age has not helped it that is for sure.

10 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

The local TV station ran the story yesterday that UT "rejected" the request to quite singing the "Eyes of Texas".  This was reported during the 5:00pm news.  I immediately emailed the station a copy of the letter as sent out by the Interim President along with my objection of their reporting.  Within 20 minutes I received a reply from them about the word "rejected":

Email follows:

TV Station Reply:  Thank you for writing in.  I think you bring up a great and fair point. The source on that story was the Associated Press out of Austin. I agree their wording, and as a result ours,  could have better reflected the outcome. “Rejected” assumes too much.    I appreciate you for bringing it to our attention.

Text for the story:

RACIAL INJUSTICE-TEXAS

Texas keeps 'The Eyes of Texas' despite athlete demands

The University of Texas has rejected calls by its athletes to change a school song that they believe has racist undertones. “The Eyes of Texas” has long been criticized for its connection to minstrel shows with characters in blackface in the early 1900s. The school says the song will remain. Texas interim president Jim Hartzell says the Texas community has the power to determine “what the ‘Eyes of Texas’ expect of us, what they demand of us.” 

Dale Hansen's reporting, I presume?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Wiki: The "Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah" section, with its noticeably different melody, is actually an older song that has been absorbed by "I've Been Working on the Railroad". It was published as "Old Joe, or Somebody in the House with Dinah" in London in the 1830s or '40s with music credited to J.H. Cave.[7] "Dinah" was a generic name for a slave woman and, by extension, any woman of African-American descent. 

This is probably related to the Biblical character "Dinah" from Genesis. Still don't know what the song actually means...

Interesting.  I'm almost positive the bit about the slave name was not in that article when this thread started, although it appears to be accurate.

I knew it as a mostly Hebrew name (Dinah Shore).  A gal I went to HS and Texas with was named Dinah.  I had a crush on her in 6th grade.  She was not black, a slave, or Jewish.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ousux said:

Given that it mirrors the AP verbiage that @mininghorn88 posted almost exactly, I'd guess that's the big problem in this case.

14 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Sensitive-Posters.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, ousux said:

The NYT editors probably drafted the headline.  The primary goal of the NYT editors is now to advance their political goals and agenda, no different than Fox News.  Facts be damned.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

The NYT editors probably drafted the headline.  The primary goal of the NYT editors is now to advance their political goals and agenda, no different than Fox News.  Facts be damned.

The funny part is is that often when you actually read the story the journalist did a pretty good job reporting the issues, but then it has this crazy inflammatory headline which is mostly what anybody reads.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The funny part is is that often when you actually read the story the journalist did a pretty good job reporting the issues, but then it has this crazy inflammatory headline which is mostly what anybody reads.

Exactly what @alincoln said - good journalist writes a solid, well-researched article, and the editor puts a political spin on it at the top. It'll probably get more clicks this way on social media at least.

• Like 2