Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

15 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Earl and Ricky have already expressed themselves over this issue.  Why is it even being discussed?

Cause kids don’t care about what Ricky and Earl think. Their mind has already been made up that the Eyes of Texas is a racist arm of a racist institution that must be uprooted. 

43 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Earl and Ricky have already expressed themselves over this issue.  Why is it even being discussed?

Because Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams aren't the final word on how young black men and women should feel about a particular subject. There are quite a few black people out there, and some of them might disagree with Earl and Ricky to various extents.

Edited by touchthemonolith
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

They play the stupid song now right when the game ends so the players don't have to pay attention to it now, right? That seems like a solid compromise to me

But they still play what many somehow believe is a racist song and the team captain of the Longhorn football team who just was promoted nationally by its ESPN network has consistently spoken about his disdain for the song whenever a microphone is placed in front of him

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

I didn't know that Earl and Ricky speak for all black people. Interesting. Next you're gonna tell me that different black people can have different opinions on things....

Mind Blown GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, randygilman said:

But they still play what many somehow believe is a racist song and the team captain of the Longhorn football team who just was promoted nationally by its ESPN network has consistently spoken about his disdain for the song whenever a microphone is placed in front of him

So?

Of course Earl and Ricky don't speak for all black people.  I mean shit Barack Obama or somebody like MLK didn't speak for ALL black people.  Nobody speaks for everybody.  That said some folks have a real difficult time with the real world notion that some opinions are much more highly valued than others and that can be the result of a variety of reasons (both good and sometimes bad)   Does it mean that what those two think "closes" the issue...of course not.  Does it mean it will take a lot more than a few social media pages and several current players thoughts to de-prioritize those opinions to the point where there is another substantive conversation to be had...absolutely.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

36 minutes ago, randygilman said:

You will get nothing more than “it’s racist” and you will have to accept it

That's good enough for me.  I don't like how this becomes a negotiation between us and them. Why should I get to decide more than another citizen? An element of us didn't have a voice in many decisions that were make over the decades. I want UT to be inclusive.

Another thing, I hate forced traditions. Mack Brown created a lot of new fairly shallow traditions that the players seemed to execute by rote rather than with any emotion. If, one day, the players choose to run over and sing with the fans after a particularly emotional game, think how much more meaningful that would be than just something they do after every game as team policy.

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That's good enough for me.  I don't like how this becomes a negotiation between us and them. Why should I get to decide more than another citizen? An element of us didn't have a voice in many decisions that were make over the decades. I want UT to be inclusive.

I mean I want them to have a voice. Use it and clarify the issue. This is a university is it not? Ideas are supposed to be exchanged and rationally discussed.

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Another thing, I hate forced traditions. Mack Brown created a lot of new fairly shallow traditions that the players seemed to execute by rote rather than with any emotion. If, one day, the players choose to run over and sing with the fans after a particularly emotional game, think how much more meaningful that would be than just something they do after every game as team policy.

The Eyes of Texas isn’t a forced tradition you dolt. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, randygilman said:

Cause kids don’t care about what Ricky and Earl think. Their mind has already been made up that the Eyes of Texas is a racist arm of a racist institution that must be uprooted. 

They aren't the only ones who should have a say in the matter.

1 hour ago, randygilman said:

And he has a right to his opinion.  But he is only one person out of 50,000+ students and hundreds of thousands of alumni.  Yeah, he has a pulpit and a microphone, but The University knows better than to roll over for a small group of people on campus right now making noise.  This is about way more than those kids.

Because Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams aren't the final word on how young black men and women should feel about a particular subject. There are quite a few black people out there, and some of them might disagree with Earl and Ricky to various extents.

Username....

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Monolith....  and a person speaking about diversity withing the black community's voting....

I wasn't talking about voting: just explaining to mh88 that many--dare I say most--black people aren't Ricky Williams or Earl Campbell. But yeah, my post was about diversity in the black community. And some people debate about diversity among voting in the black community. And some people debate whether the black community votes like a proverbial monolith. And my username referencing a 60's sci-fi book and movie also contains the word monolith.

Your brain works in interesting ways.

10 hours ago, randygilman said:

You will get nothing more than “it’s racist” and you will have to accept it

Technically it doesn’t exactly have to be racist it just needs to makes them feeeel like it’s racist.  The other things on the list I get but this is a “makes me feel like I’m really doing something while in reality not doing anything” kind of thing.  Pats on the back for everyone.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I didn't know that Earl and Ricky speak for all black people. Interesting. Next you're gonna tell me that different black people can have different opinions on things....

Mind Blown GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Don’t be obtuse.  They speak for themselves just like CS speaks for himself.  Earl is from an older generation and I totally get why he thinks the way he does but Ricky is an out of the box forward thinking dude and if he’s ok with the song then I’m damn sure ok with the Eyes. 

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Don’t be obtuse.  They speak for themselves just like CS speaks for himself.  Earl is from an older generation and I totally get why he thinks the way he does but Ricky is an out of the box forward thinking dude and if he’s ok with the song then I’m damn sure ok with the Eyes. 

I was being sarcastic dumbass 

https://www.texasexes.org/about-us/history-and-traditions/eyes-texas

Original lyrics:

They watch above you all the day, The bright blue eyes of Texas. At midnight they're with you all the way, The sleepless eyes of Texas.

The Eyes of Texas are upon you, All the livelong day. The eyes of Texas are upon you, They're with you all the way. They watch you through the peaceful night, They watch you in the early dawn, When from the eastern skies the high light Tells that the night is gone.

Sing me a song of Texas, And Texas' myriad eyes Countless as the bright stars That fill the midnight skies.

Vandyke brown, vermillion, Sepia, Prussian blue, Ivory black and crimson lac, And eyes of every hue.

• Hook 'Em 1

Question: Is there a source that Lee ever even said, "the eyes of the south are upon you?"

Google comes up empty except for Texas Fight related articles from this year.  It would be a strange thing to make up, though.  Especially given that Lee was president during Prather's tenure at Washington College, and that appears to be the connection.  (Prather picked up the tradition from Lee and altered it for Texas.)

I was trying to find context for the quote.

Edited by JBJ

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Question: Is there a source that Lee ever even said, "the eyes of the south are upon you?"

Google comes up empty except for Texas Fight related articles from this year.  It would be a strange thing to make up, though.

I'm pretty sure he said it in a conversation he had with Patton

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm pretty sure he said it in a conversation he had with Patton

It appears to be a Richard Henry Lee quote wrt the American Revolution: "The eyes of the world are upon us."

Maybe became a family motto of sorts?  There's at least one REL speech where he referenced the "eyes of the world" but nothing about the eyes of the south.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

Has the person/people behind this newest movement put their names to it?  I will say this about Caden Stearns, he is to be admired for the leadership he shows in this.  I understand what he is saying, I don't necessarily agree with it all or all of what he wants but I admire that there is a man who is willing to stand there say something he believes in and put his face to it when it's likely not a popular position and has probably gotten him some personal shit none of us even want to imagine from some of the worst in our fanbase/society.  

If these folks don't put their name to it they might as well come here and argue abut it in Cloak with the rest of us internet chuckleheads/assholes because that's about as seriously as it can be taken.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1