Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

12 minutes ago, futureman said:

it’s not a racist song but being a victim is the only way some people can really feel alive.  I don’t blame them for their fragility; it’s the way of the modern world. 

People find what they are looking for even when it’s not there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, stork642 said:

People find what they are looking for even when it’s not there.  

Case in point: I've heard people say that the line "you cannot get away" directly refers to escaped or freed slaves but unless I'm completely missing something that seems to be taking considerable liberty with regards to lyrical interpretation for the sake of proving it's a "racist song"

12 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

"I still haven't found what I am looking for"

-Bono

It’s because he’s always wearing those red/blue/purple tinted glasses.  You can’t see shit through those things.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Case in point: I've heard people say that the line "you cannot get away" directly refers to escaped or freed slaves but unless I'm completely missing something that seems to be taking considerable liberty with regards to lyrical interpretation for the sake of proving it's a "racist song"

Yes. Sort of an urban legend that’s been going around for awhile. Education is key here.

I mean if it was racist I would be against it. I get that it is racist adjacent. It has a tune from "I've been working on the railroad" which was written as a minstril type song originally. It was originally performed in a minstril show I understand. And it came from making fun of the UT President being a bit too fanboyish over Robert E Lee. All that stuff is around it but I don't see how it makes it racist except by association.

And if you are convinced by that I guess you are. I would at least appreciate a bit more explanation. Do you want us to change the music? The lyrics? Both? The lyrics being racist seems especially weak to me. Just because it might have something to do with a phrase said by the Lee family does not make it racist. I am sure members of the Lee family said all kinds of things and only some of them were racist.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean if it was racist I would be against it. I get that it is racist adjacent. It has a tune from "I've been working on the railroad" which was written as a minstril type song originally. It was originally performed in a minstril show I understand. And it came from making fun of the UT President being a bit too fanboyish over Robert E Lee. All that stuff is around it but I don't see how it makes it racist except by association.

And if you are convinced by that I guess you are. I would at least appreciate a bit more explanation. Do you want us to change the music? The lyrics? Both? The lyrics being racist seems especially weak to me. Just because it might have something to do with a phrase said by the Lee family does not make it racist. I am sure members of the Lee family said all kinds of things and only some of them were racist.

Lee’s last words were, “Strike the tent.” It’s why I refuse to engage in the clearly racist pursuit of camping.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, futureman said:

it’s not a racist song but being a victim is the only way some people can really feel alive.  I don’t blame them for their fragility; it’s the way of the modern world. 

Does that also apply to the victims of not having the song sung when they want it, in the manner that want it?

I would venture that the vast majority of this camp fall into the “I watch the game from the air conditioned comfort of my couch with my own cold beer” camp; their opinion about what happens in the stadium doesn’t mean shit, but they’re sure fucking loud about it...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't get the "silly little song" thing.  Culture is powerful and you'd be a fool to argue that music isn't a piece of the larger quilt of culture.  What songs does somebody care about.  What makes one song worth caring about and another "silly".   I guess I could argue that not giving a shit is also part of the culture, they've written books abut not giving a fuck.  Ahhh beeeeeersssss.  More beeeeeeerrrrs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

The players have expressed their reasons for why they find the song offensive. You don’t have to agree with it, but that’s how they feel.

53 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The players have expressed their reasons for why they find the song offensive. You don’t have to agree with it, but that’s how they feel.

I believe I stated that in my post. But my issue here is not with the players. I agree with everything they and the school agreed to.

I am talking about this social media movement and their re-write demands. Re-write which part and why?

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I believe I stated that in my post. But my issue here is not with the players. I agree with everything they and the school agreed to.

I am talking about this social media movement and their re-write demands. Re-write which part and why?

And if the campaign is anonymous, why should we even believe it's coming from anyone affiliated with The University?

• Hook 'Em 1

As a chronic stalker I always enjoyed quietly singing this little ditty, usually in a tree but at least 100 yards from a bedroom window. Damn restraining orders.

Every breath you take and every move you make
Every bond you break, every step you take, I'll be watching you
Every single day and every word you say
Every game you play, every night you stay, I'll be watching you

Oh, can't you see you belong to me
How my poor heart aches with every step you take

Every move you make, and every vow you break
Every smile you fake, every claim you stake, I'll be watching you

Since you've gone I've been lost without a trace
I dream at night, I can only see your face
I look around but it's you I can't replace
I feel so cold and I long for your embrace
I keep crying, "Baby, baby, please"

Oh, can't you see you belong to me
How my poor heart aches with every step you take

Every move you make and every vow you break
Every smile you fake, every claim you stake, I'll be watching you
Every move you make, every step you take, I'll be watching you

I'll be watching you
Every breath you take and every move you make
Every bond you break, every step you take (I'll be watching you)
Every single day, every word you say
Every game you play, every night you stay (I'll be watching you)
Every move you make, every vow you break
Every smile you fake, every claim you stake (I'll be watching you)

Every breath you take, every move you make
Every bond you break, every step you take (I'll be watching you)
Every move you make, every vow you break
Every smile you fake, every claim you stake (I'll be watching you)

One thing I’ve wondered was were the players bothered by the fact that the school they chose to attend had such a supposedly racist song?  Or were they made aware only after they were on campus.  Sometimes we need someone to tell us what to be outraged about I guess.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I went to the website referenced in the Instagram account. From there it had links to resources to support their views.  I pulled the relevant quote on the REL thing.  It's weak AF, as expected:

"President Prather also provided the University with the words "The Eyes of Texas are upon you," which later became the title of the institution's official song. As a student, he reportedly heard Washington and Lee University President Robert E. Lee tell students, "Young men, the eyes of the South are upon you." President Prather changed the words slightly and used them as opening and parting comments he made to students. "The Eyes of Texas are upon you" was placed under trademark registration in 1936."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

One thing I’ve wondered was were the players bothered by the fact that the school they chose to attend had such a supposedly racist song?  Or were they made aware only after they were on campus.  Sometimes we need someone to tell us what to be outraged about I guess.  

I'm sure they weren't aware, and now that it's out there you can bet opposing teams will use the song as negative recruiting material,

7 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

All this about some song some jackass made by ripping off a children's nursery rhyme. Many of you would rather alienate the talent pool that's necessary for your school to win games and have any shot at a championship again over a ripped off nursery rhyme song.

That's hilarious to me

Pretty much every post of yours I’ve seen has been a terrible one, so it’s good to know you’re consistent. 

10 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

All this about some song some jackass made by ripping off a children's nursery rhyme. Many of you would rather alienate the talent pool that's necessary for your school to win games and have any shot at a championship again over a ripped off nursery rhyme song.

That's hilarious to me

That was not a nursery rhyme song, it was actually a pop song from that era like most school songs. The funny part is I think THAT song is actually kind of racist and was written to be a minstril show type song. 

I would be perfectly fine with changing it in some way, I don't think my request of this movement is unreasonable. Show which part of the song is racist and why and we can change that part of it. Personally I find the whole having a school song thing kind of antiquated so if it is not going to be some ancient tradition I would prefer we just get rid of it. I shudder to think how 2020 would write a school song. The school song committee would produce something stirring I am sure.

I mean we have just made a ton of concessions to the "talent pool" and they were satisfied. I don't know who these other people are and if they speak for the "talent pool".

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

That's hilarious to me

Having a simple, familiar, and easily sung melody is actually a benefit for the song.  It's one of the drawbacks of the national anthem, for example.

Also, it's not a nursery rhyme.  The song has become a familiar children's tune over the last century or so and, as such, has lost  all significance it may have once had as racist, containing demeaning lyrics, or having "racist origins," whatever that means.

There's all kinds of vestigial racism at Texas and any other university you want to name.  If someone is going to conclude that it's currently some kind of racist institution based on a racially neutral song, then, whatever I guess.

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That was not a nursery rhyme song, it was actually a pop song from that era like most school songs. The funny part is I think THAT song is actually kind of racist and was written to be a minstril show type song. 

I would be perfectly fine with changing it in some way, I don't think my request of this movement is unreasonable. Show which part of the song is racist and why and we can change that part of it. Personally I find the whole having a school song thing kind of antiquated so if it is not going to be some ancient tradition I would prefer we just get rid of it. I shudder to think how 2020 would write a school song. The school song committee would produce something stirring I am sure.

I mean we have just made a ton of concessions to the "talent pool" and they were satisfied. I don't know who these other people are and if they speak for the "talent pool".

Its origins are really murky.  What is clear is that one early variant contained lyrics in "Negro dialect," but whether that's a result of minstrelsy or something else is unclear.

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

"The Eyes of Texas are upon you" was placed under trademark registration in 1936."

This is dumb.  While it is a common mistake to confuse copyright and trademark, the source of this, the Alcalde story, does not confuse the two.  To report the copyright registration as a trademark registration is just stupid.

I respect a guy like Caden sticking his neck out for something he believes in as a “public figure”,  but id be interested to hear him articulate why exactly he “wont be singing that song anymore”. Is he factually and actually correct, or is it sole PC bullshit that’s been fed (IMO, likely, as has been much of this issue)?

Other times it’s come up WRT the eyes I’ve read different perspectives, mostly saying that the song brings people together, if you look into the past of anything it’ll be bad, or even they don’t sing it but have no problem with others doing it etc etc (all from black students at the time).

you can’t strike something as meaningful to the culture of being a UT student (IMO) as The Eyes from the records without facing some serious backlash. I’ve not heard anything compelling about how the song is racist other than how some people feel it is, however they choose to interpret facts. I think the school had a great response this summer regarding educating the students about the history of the song and where it was debuted, but I hope it also is mentioned the song want written for a minstrel show, was just debuted at one. 

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Having a simple, familiar, and easily sung melody is actually a benefit for the song.  It's one of the drawbacks of the national anthem, for example.

Also, it's not a nursery rhyme.  The song has become a familiar children's tune over the last century or so and, as such, has lost  all significance it may have once had as racist, containing demeaning lyrics, or having "racist origins," whatever that means.

There's all kinds of vestigial racism at Texas and any other university you want to name.  If someone is going to conclude that it's currently some kind of racist institution based on a racially neutral song, then, whatever I guess.

I'm not even saying it's racist. I'm saying people willing to cling to it so much they'd rather risk alienating the only talent pool that can make their university nationally competitive in just about every sport except golf is hilarious to me. 

Now right now there's no evidence I've seen that the adjustment they've made to not require the players to stand for and sing it anymore isn't sufficient. It probably is, but some of the things people on here say make it clear they'd side with a silly little jingle over the necessary talent pool if it ever comes down to it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

the whole thing is stupid.  have the band play the song after the game and tell the players they can do whatever they want, kneel, go straight to the locker room, hang around, do cartwheels, go talk to their parents, whatever.  the song isn't racist.

I always thought the people who complained about players not holding horns up, not singing, or going to the locker room right away were stupid. do whatever the hell you want.   I'm singing the song because its the school song but its dumb to make singing it or holding your horns up a requirement if you don't want to.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I'm not even saying it's racist. I'm saying people willing to cling to it so much they'd rather risk alienating the only talent pool that can make their university nationally competitive in just about every sport except golf is hilarious to me. 

Now right now there's no evidence I've seen that the adjustment they've made to not require the players to stand for and sing it anymore isn't sufficient. It probably is, but some of the things people on here say make it clear they'd side with a silly little jingle over the necessary talent pool if it ever comes down to it. 

“The Eyes” is sung at just about every UT event or gathering of current and ex-students. It goes beyond appeasing football players. I would bet that there are others out there that proudly sing “The Eyes” that could give 2 rips about Texas football.

• Hook 'Em 4

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the whole thing is stupid.  have the band play the song after the game and tell the players they can do whatever they want, kneel, go straight to the locker room, hang around, do cartwheels, go talk to their parents, whatever.  the song isn't racist.

I always thought the people who complained about players not holding horns up, not singing, or going to the locker room right away were stupid. do whatever the hell you want.   I'm singing the song because its the school song but its dumb to make singing it or holding your horns up a requirement if you don't want to.

This is how I feel. I wasn’t compelled or mandated to stay for it as a fan, as a student, or as an alumnus. Why should athletes be any different?  They are students just like the ones in the stands rooting for them. 

13 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

“The Eyes” is sung at just about every UT event or gathering of current and ex-students. It goes beyond appeasing football players. I would bet that there are others out there that proudly sing “The Eyes” that could give 2 rips about Texas football.

Somehow or other, it is meaningful to me.  Texas football sucked shit through a straw the whole time I was on campus, save 1990, so it isn't strictly football that created the association.  The other sport I attended regularly was baseball.  But I think it's other things that created the meaning:  student orgs, commencements, other stuff.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

But do they play it at weddings and rock back and forth creating awkward tension?
  • Hook 'Em 1

But do they play it at weddings and rock back and forth creating awkward tension?

16 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

And nobody is saying you can't play it at all of those things. Just IMO if you need black athletes to compete for championships and black athletes are showing some discontent with regards to the song it's probably prudent to not try and force it on them anymore while expecting them to stand and sing it while putting their index and pinky fingers in the air. Just let them be and move on

6 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

And nobody is saying you can't play it at all of those things. Just IMO if you need black athletes to compete for championships and black athletes are showing some discontent with regards to the song it's probably prudent to not try and force it on them anymore while expecting them to stand and sing it while putting their index and pinky fingers in the air. Just let them be and move on

This is the exact agreement that has already been made.  So it seems like your stance has been adopted by the University.  Problem solved.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/19/2020 at 10:05 AM, dcar00 said:

the whole thing is stupid.  have the band play the song after the game and tell the players they can do whatever they want, kneel, go straight to the locker room, hang around, do cartwheels, go talk to their parents, whatever.

Whoa whoa whoa.  Cartwheels?  There’s no way we wouldn’t lose someone to injury.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Why is the band holding the University hostage? They were told to play it and now they don't even show up? 

The band is holding the University hostage? 

Maybe we should call a Negotiator. What do they want? Isn't is better uniforms?