Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

46 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Look here man, it's already been decided on a different thread that Patricio Swayze is who is going to be the next Longhorn head coach. 

After providing some free online coaching lessons for sharing with the players I got promoted to Pom Squad liaison. I damn well aim to do my duty with diligence.

I don't appreciate your tone. If you don't like my actions take it up the the new head coach. I think he's Brazilian too, so perhaps he can speak your fucking language.

Now, one more comment about dropping Pom and I'm coming through this screen to fucking choke you out.

Never would I recommend Pom being dropped. Triple or quadruple Pom and drop band. That’s my platform. Outfit Bevo with A Gatling gun platform and anti-tank weapons to take out the Sooner Schooner while we are at it. 

4 hours ago, maninblack said:

Fade this team the rest of the year. Not focused and weak minded. Just lost to TCU and should've lost to Tech and they're thinking about a song. Pussies

The players aren't participating in the song nor are they acknowledging it in the slightest. Not sure how you can say the players are obsessing over the song.

On 10/6/2020 at 8:12 PM, Shaggybevo said:

I've gone to the first two home games. I haven't missed the band. They've been playing the same songs and doing the same marches for 50 years. People used to love typewriters and phone booths too, but they're obsolete. Instead, perhaps put local bands on the jumbotron, or something like that. Time to think outside the box. How many times do you really need to hear march grandisio?

Every game and now...

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Every game and now...

this song, before the game tomorrow, when the band pauses for about 4 seconds, is the absolute fucking best.  OU fans booing and they start right back up.  I love it.  Damn this pandemic for taking that moment away.

• Hook 'Em 8

I would offer this to the student athletes.. We will revisit changing the song 1 year from now IF you obtain 100 hours of community service mentoring area youths in low income parts of town.. We aren't changing jack shit for a twitter warrior. Put down your phone and go make a difference in a child's life. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

The players aren't participating in the song nor are they acknowledging it in the slightest. Not sure how you can say the players are obsessing over the song.

Well they're not obsessing over tackling or any other football shit

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tjhooker said:

From how this team plays, to how it bitches on Twitter, to how it hates our great fight song I am no longer giving a shit.  It's not the university I went to or supported throughout the yrs.  Players and admin wouldn't of put up with any of this nonsense not that long ago. I was a devout fan.  Traveling all over to watch my Alma Mater. Now I just kinda don't care.  It's all sad to me TBH. 

There are many of us who feel Like you. Wrecking the past is no way to achieve unity or brotherhood. It starts with treating people right NOW, today. We cannot continue to apologize for others actions. 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Beyond that, where did all this originate? I recall Eagles bringing it up first. In my life I had never even heard about the claims by anyone ever that it was racist. Wasn't Eagles already disenfranchised with the program prior to this? 

Urban legend that's been going around for awhile, that "do not think you can escape them" refers to slaves. 

On 10/9/2020 at 7:18 AM, Bevo VIII said:

I find this tweet interesting. Will be interesting to see if the football team follows

I thought I saw that, but LHN kind of cut away from it.

After the first or second match, when they pretty conspicuously ignored the song, they interviewed Logan Eggleston and she confirmed that they were "not supporting it."  She didn't say it in a strident way or anything, it sounded more like solidarity with those who found it offensive without expressing an opinion either way.

I would have to guess that students said something to them about the sort of "awk" nature of just ignoring it, so they quit doing that.  I guess students because I don't think Elliott or anyone on staff would say anything, and I think volleyball players are a bit more integrated with their fan base and students generally than most of our other high-profile athletes.

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Never heard that, but fair enough.

So all this is based on Urban legend aka conspiracy theory and now with the social media echo chamber it is as real as a flat earth. Right on. 

There have been several articles over the years in Alcalde tracing its origins that make it's "connection" to a minstrel show pretty clear.  And to a greater or lesser extent to Prather and in turn to R.E. Lee.

That or other information had filtered down to the team in a game of racial "telephone" to create an unfounded rumor or belief that its lyrics were racially threatening.  That, plus "corny" (I have zero doubt that that term was applied to it repeatedly by athletes of a more urban background), seem to have contributed to a groundswell of unpopularity.

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I thought I saw that, but LHN kind of cut away from it.

After the first or second match, when they pretty conspicuously ignored the song, they interviewed Logan Eggleston and she confirmed that they were "not supporting it."  She didn't say it in a strident way or anything, it sounded more like solidarity with those who found it offensive without expressing an opinion either way.

I would have to guess that students said something to them about the sort of "awk" nature of just ignoring it, so they quit doing that.  I guess students because I don't think Elliott or anyone on staff would say anything, and I think volleyball players are a bit more integrated with their fan base and students generally than most of our other high-profile athletes.

I think this tweet is why there has been a change. That’s why I said earlier let’s see if other teams follow suit. I think some big money guys are getting pissed at the thought of it possibly going away. 

Edited by Bevo VIII

“The eyes of the South are upon you. Go home and make as good citizens as you’ve made soldiers.” Robert E. Lee’s farewell address to the Army of Northern Virginia. 

That’s what it’s all about to me. Parody or not, or the fact William Lamdin Prather graduates from Washington College while Lee was President there, no big deal. Whether people want to admit it or not, those veterans built this state, and built the University. 

Gov. O.M. Roberts, former Colonel of 11th Texas. Signed the University into existence. 

George W. Littlefield, Quartermaster of Terry’s Texas Rangers. established endowment for the University.

Dr. Ashbel Smith, Colonel of 2nd Texas. First President of UT School of Medicine (read his official report of the part played by 2nd Texas in the defense of Vicksburg, amazing). Not to mention, all the members of the State Legislature, the early professors, contributors, Board of Regents, etc. doctors, lawyers, educators, merchants, farmers, fathers. The list goes on and on.

Those guys built the school, and in many ways, helped the “an institution of the first class” ideal. So, erase their names from history, rename schools, take down their statues, call them racists, it doesn’t change the facts. 

The bottom line: don’t sing it, if you don’t want to. But, don’t keep me from singing it. 

Edited by Mossyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mossyhorn said:

“The eyes of the South are upon you. Go home and make as good citizens as you’ve made soldiers.” Robert E. Lee’s farewell address to the Army of Northern Virginia. 

That’s what it’s all about to me. Parody or not, or the fact William Lamdin Prather graduates from Washington College while Lee was President there, no big deal. Whether people want to admit it or not, those veterans built this state, and built the University. 

Gov. O.M. Roberts, former Colonel of 11th Texas. Signed the University into existence. 

George W. Littlefield, Quartermaster of Terry’s Texas Rangers. established endowment for the University.

Dr. Ashbel Smith, Colonel of 2nd Texas. First President of UT School of Medicine (read his official report of the part played by 2nd Texas in the defense of Vicksburg, amazing). Not to mention, all the members of the State Legislature, the early professors, contributors, Board of Regents, etc. doctors, lawyers, educators, merchants, farmers, fathers. The list goes on and on.

Those guys built the school, and in many ways, helped the “an institution of the first class” ideal. So, erase their names from history, rename schools, take down their statues, call them racists, it doesn’t change the facts. 

The organization of the University into colleges and more broadly was based on the University of Virginia.  

UT, as a southern institution is deeply connected to the confederacy and southern politics and political figures.  Unfortunately, it also maintained a lot of that past its expiration date, e.g. Sweatt v. Painter, minstrelsy, so on and so forth.

At some level, if you carry this "eradication" to its logical conclusion, you have to condemn the University in its entirety.

On the other hand, there's an argument that the University, as an institution, has at least partially overcome its ignominious past.  I think the same could be said of The Eyes of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'm familiar with the minstrel show stuff. 

I'm also familiar with the rest of the myth.

They have a right to protest whatever whenever, but I have a right to think they are full of shit.

I watch sports to get away from the reality of he world and be entertained.

Neither happens right now, in fact, I become frustrated and get bombarded with politics all while my University's image is tarnished.

So, I ask myself, why do I even watch anymore. It's a fucking valid question.

I'm with you on not really wanting politics with my sports.  Sports are where I permit my mind to disengage from such things.

And, I don't really respect the opinions of athletes or other celebrities as a general matter, at least not because of their celebrity status.  

But, I totally get that black people don't think anyone is or has been listening.  And I get that athletes have a voice and maybe should use it.  And, while I don't hold the political or policy opinions of athletes in high esteem, I can't really argue with black person, athlete or not, expressing how they feel.

It's a conundrum.  I do think that the SJ stuff on LHN has been pretty well done (the ads and whatnot).

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mossyhorn said:

This right here and some other recent posts are spot on.

Herd mentality takes over and people protest for the sake of protesting and do not do their own research or they only live in the moment and do not even know what their end game is. Logic is being defied. I don’t understand how the knowledge of this song was only known to, or at least promoted, to a certain group of people? I was on campus in the mid-80’s and never heard as such.

What is next in the pipeline?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

If I'm tom herman i tell the defense, play like OU is asking you to sing the eyes,  hit rattler like he tweeted something in favor of something you don't like.  Play with the level of anger, that matches your level of being lit on IG, do that and you will shut out every opponent this year.

Just play like the other team wants you to sing a song you don't like 

• Haha 1

This shit again.  Like I said back in the summer when this was first posted, if a song is "hurting" our players then I am extremely concerned about their mental toughness going forward and now look a the product.  They are soft and it looks like Tom has let the inmates run the asylum now.  They have the control and he looks like he's too much of a pussy to do anything about it.  This is what happens when you spend all offseason worried about woke nonsense and not about football.  These players say that they will play for their brother and they were willing to do the things the coaches asked of them and now I can tell that they aren't.  Things will not change until their is an actual culture change that is committed to winning championships.  What makes me laugh is the people on here doing all the pandering for  morality points want Urban Meyer to coach at Texas now.  So hypocritical.  I'm not gonna watch these vaginas anymore until they have an untoxic locker room.  Truly is one of the saddest states Iv'e ever seen Texas football in.  It's clear these players don't respect the name on the jersey.  Fuck em.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

i'm impressed by the "we're going to do an entire review of the history of a 1 minute song sung to the tune of I've been working on the railroad" bit of theater.

The song will be gone. its already been branded racist so no way to resurrect it.  they'll come up with a new song sung to the tune of some other childrens tune.  I'll enjoy the marketing campaign to explain what we can do to make this our new tradition.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm a Trump hating liberal and hope the Republican party withers and dies before my children are of voting age. 

That being said....  The song isn't racist. The bullshit 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon trying to make it racist is complete garbage. The entitlement of this team to use the song as some sort of crutch to validate their pussiness is enough to make me want to get rid of all of them, sans Sam. I was upset that we lost today. When i saw that pic of Sam by himself today, I was crushed. That's the worst feeling I've had as a Longhorn football fan in my entire life. UT football culture is at rock bottom. Those that say "oh it's just a song" just don't get it. It's about solidarity. It's about pride. Shunning all of that because your sister's cousin's professor told you the song might be racist is weak as fuck. Weak. As. Fuck. Just like this football team is. 

Good luck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Maybe we can replace it with “Don’t Stop Believing”??  
Wait, is that racist?  Did Journey have any black members?  Nope, don’t think so. Racist bastards. 

It was the song playing at the end of The Sopranos. Tony Soprano was a very racist character. Therefore, that song is racist. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Maybe we can replace it with “Don’t Stop Believing”??  
Wait, is that racist?  Did Journey have any black members?  Nope, don’t think so. Racist bastards. 

Replace it with a rendition of "We are the world". 

Fuck the SJWs including Mensa

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1