Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Some of y’all sure do like the word “woke.”

And if you are gonna shit all over the players for things that have nothing to do with the field of play and doesn’t fit your political non “woke” narrative then find another team to root for.

This ain’t the pros where you are free to crap over any player you want for any reason you want. These players are representing Texas.

If you hate the players just because they don’t want to sing a song then start rooting for the Cowboys and Jerry Jones or something. 

Uh no.  People are allowed to criticize the ridiculousness that this has been and it deserves a fair amount of mockery.  The players have shit all over themselves and the team.  Sorry you can't understand why people would be outraged at what happened yesterday.  Guess you've never been apart of a team otherwise you would know how bad that looks.  They just abandoned the only guy on the team who looks like he gives a shit and almost willed them to victory.  They are soft pussies and people use the word "woke" because that's the nonsense word that has been used to start all this bs.  They are here to play football.  Nothing more and nothing less.  But these guys look like they could give less a shit about football.  The only thing you said that I agree with is that they represent Texas.  And they don't do it well at all. You wanna argue that?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

"Woke SJWs" is just a way to say "Liberals" without being directly political. This thread is the most political thread on the board currently. It's a proxy political battle starring a bunch of angry white men vs. the "Woke SJWs". What a god-awful thread by everyone involved.

Yet here you are, contributing to it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
36 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:
UT football players are not woke SJWs. That take is nothing but yours and others' inability to differentiate between things that make you angry. 
UT football players are not woke SJWs. They aren't putting trans flags on their dorm room doors. They aren't participating in callout circles to talk about their privilege. They aren't dying their hair blue and on Twitter trying to cancel people for gendering babies. They aren't protesting for PETA. They aren't boycotting Nike for using leather in their products. They aren't demanding to play with vegan footballs. They aren't counter-protesting MAGA rallies.
UT football players are not woke SJWs. Anyone arguing they are is either genuinely stupid or dishonest. Anyone arguing that the UT football players are woke SJWs is just infecting our shared university and its athletics with their political bitterness.
The UT football players are concerned with one single issue here: Black rights.
Regarding The Eyes, you are focusing on the lyrics and origin of the song itself as if the ONLY objection to it is that the song itself is inherently racist. Whether or not it is can be immaterial to a black athlete or Longhorn, because as you acknowledge: The song was introduced to us at a minstrel show.
"BUT THE SONG ITSELF ISN'T RACIST!"
- OK, great, it was still introduced at a minstrel show.

"BUT IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD!"
- "OK, great, it was still introduced at a minstrel show.
If all of our black players say, "We can overlook the fact that it was born in minstrelsy" then great, we can sing it.
If our black players say, "We cannot overlook the fact that it was born in minstrelsy" then we shouldn't sing it.
It's out of your hands. It's out of my hands. It's out of our hands as white people. We got to decide for well over a century and now we don't get to decide this one anymore. We can either be gracious as our black friends work it out or we can be toxic, divisive, awful shitheads. That is the only actual choice we have.

This isn't a woke thing. This is a basic common decency thing and a desire to stand united behind our players.

Read more  

"Woke SJWs" is just a way to say "Liberals" without being directly political. This thread is the most political thread on the board currently. It's a proxy political battle starring a bunch of angry white men vs. the "Woke SJWs". What a god-awful thread by everyone involved.

Especially the posts you have contributed.  What a load of dog shit.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Yet here you are, contributing to it.

Oh I have no intention of contributing to it or continuing to read it, don't worry. If I wanted to drown in the anger of a room full of sensitive white baby boomers terrified of a changing world I'd go to a Toby Keith concert at the WinStar or an aggy game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Apex73 said:

Uh no.  People are allowed to criticize the ridiculousness that this has been and it deserves a fair amount of mockery.  The players have shit all over themselves and the team.  Sorry you can't understand why people would be outraged at what happened yesterday.  Guess you've never been apart of a team otherwise you would know how bad that looks.  They just abandoned the only guy on the team who looks like he gives a shit and almost willed them to victory.  They are soft pussies and people use the word "woke" because that's the nonsense word that has been used to start all this bs.  They are here to play football.  Nothing more and nothing less.  But these guys look like they could give less a shit about football.  The only thing you said that I agree with is that they represent Texas.  And they don't do it well at all. You wanna argue that?

They don’t represent Texas well on the football field but I blame that on the head coach Tom Herman who I have always believed never should have been hired in the first place and is clearly in over his head.

The rest is just political bullshit that has no place in rooting for a team and you should frankly start gettin “woke” to that fact or else just start rooting for some other team. If you hate the players due to their politics then leave.

26 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

You didn't address any of my points.

Your overall point is that the song itself is not racist. I will stipulate to that so I don't need or want to counter it. I'm glad you've done a lot of historical research to analyze the lyrics and origin of the song itself. That's great.

Whether or not the song itself is racist is not the only point of contention. There is more to it, whether you like it or not.

11 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Sorry you can't understand why people would be outraged at what happened yesterday.

I think we understand perfectly why you and yours are furious right now.

The only thing you said that I agree with is that they represent Texas.  And they don't do it well at all. You wanna argue that?

They represent it far better than you and the angry shitheads in this thread just like you. They are gods of discretion and maturity compared to the posters in this thread.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Your overall point is that the song itself is not racist. I will stipulate to that so I don't need or want to counter it. I'm glad you've done a lot of historical research to analyze the lyrics and origin of the song itself. That's great.

Whether or not the song itself is racist is not the only point of contention. There is more to it, whether you like it or not.

Jesus you are such a cunt. The song isn't racist _ check. The players are being bitches (just like you)_ check 

Lets not muddy the waters any more than that. 

You wear a pad to cover your vagina 24/7 _ check 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Women have more emotional control than many of the posters in this thread who have spent the last 24+ hours furious at our players.

You

are 

cunt

You try to muddy the waters and differ , but in the end deep down you know you are a cunt making up horseshit. You are miserable 

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

That's a tremendous amount of authentic frontier gibberish to provide no evidence that the UT students in 1903 had any awareness of the reason Prather used Lee's phrase that Prather had heard at a minimum of 33 years prior. 

Robert E. Lee died in 1870.  The 1903 students would be conceived at least 10 years later.

Please show your work and provide historical evidence that Lee's use of the phrase "the eyes of the south are upon you" before 1870 was a racist inspiration for the UT students in 1903 when they turned Prather's use of the phrase in to a lyric to a folk song.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

I realize that this is difficult to accept for people like you and me who have spent our lives believing otherwise.

I engaged in the same kind of thinking when I found out Bill Cosby was kinda sorta super rapey. Cosby'd been a hero of mine for decades, long before the hit TV series, so I really fought the evidence. Like you're doing here, I tried to rules-lawyer my way into finding excuses for my previous beliefs. I tried to find holes in the women's testimonies. I looked for conspiracies. I blamed victims. But eventually, I had to accept the facts as facts, that Bill Cosby had date-raped not just one woman, but dozens.

This is what you're doing. You're in the denial phase. You're looking for ways to make this racist thing into something that wasn't as racist.

You're smart enough to realize why what you typed here is ridiculous. Just think if you applied this same logic to something else, and you'll see it.

They represent it far better than you and the angry shitheads in this thread just like you. They are gods of discretion and maturity compared to the posters in this thread.

How? They suck at the main thing they’re supposed to be doing in exchange for the free ride and perks. Then most of them slink off the field like a bunch of pussies feeling sorry for themselves. Then bitch and whine on social media when they get called out.

The hilariously ironic thing that is lost on a lot of them, and especially on the dipshit snowflakes pimping this Fairy Tale to them is.....this much ballyhooed “platform” that they have is based almost entirely on winning a lot of games and championships, and the dollars that pour in because of it. So the more they fuck around and lose, nobody cares what they say or what they want, or if they stay or if they go.

This years team doesn’t have a single player that isn’t imminently replaceable. There’s maybe 5 guys who’s names will even be remembered 10 years from now. Players who can’t run, tackle, block, catch, cover and who don’t give a shit about anything except their tender feelings are a dime a dozen.

Three more weeks of this garbage football and the trap door on that “platform” swings open and they can cry all they want. Nobody who matters will be listening
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I realize that this is difficult to accept for people like you and me who have spent our lives believing otherwise.
I engaged in the same kind of thinking when I found out Bill Cosby was kinda sorta super rapey. Cosby'd been a hero of mine for decades, long before the hit TV series, so I really fought the evidence. Like you're doing here, I tried to rules-lawyer my way into finding excuses for my previous beliefs. I tried to find holes in the women's testimonies. I looked for conspiracies. I blamed victims. But eventually, I had to accept the facts as facts, that Bill Cosby had date-raped not just one woman, but dozens.
This is what you're doing. You're in the denial phase. You're looking for ways to make this racist thing into something that wasn't as racist.
You're smart enough to realize why what you typed here is ridiculous. Just think if you applied this same logic to something else, and you'll see it.

That quite possibly be the worst fucking analogy in the history of mankind, and one of the most stupid posts in the history of Surly, if not the entire Internet. It takes a special level of the retarded to come up with something like that, so there’s that.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Then most of them slink off the field like a bunch of pussies feeling sorry for themselves. Then bitch and whine on social media when they get called out.

Did they "slink" or just walk off? Are most of them bitching and whining on social media?

What do you think you are doing right now?

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Whats useful about censuring AND censoring things on grounds of some spirit that's long evaporated and relevant to nobody today.

The VW beetle was ideated by Hitler.  Should that car be banished today because that narrow-moustached fuck thought about it before my parents were even born?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

It's based on the history of the song being performed at minstrel shows at the University of Texas.

Black student athletes aren't having it anymore. A whole lot of white ones seem to agree.

Deal with it.

Not that it's surprising but thank you for self identifying as an idiot

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Holy shit.  The Bill Cosby / The Eyes analogy.  Didn't see that one coming.  I was expecting more of a Hitler / The Eyes analogy.  Good work! 

You breached Godwin first so my post gets a free pass

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The VW beetle was ideated by Hitler.  Should that car be banished today because that narrow-moustached fuck thought about it before my parents were even born?

Should Jewish people be allowed (legally and socially) to not purchase VW's because of this? Because that's what we're talking about.

The student-athletes simply want the right to choose to not sing The Eyes. As far as I am aware, none of them have advocated for an actual ban on people singing The Eyes.

i find it completely odd about neg or pos rep. Who gives a fuck 

The only thing I know is folks like bad fans spanking their vagina over fake social justice bullshit. Their own insecurities ( along with some of our players) is showing their snail trail.

God , the players are playing like shit, the coaches are coaching like shit. But but the evil song the racist song (its not you fucking weak feeble worthless cunts ). Fuck that. You soft cunts. CUNTS

• Haha 1

Just now, tjhooker said:

I don't think any of us would force them to sing it.  Just observe the tradition of being together as a team after the game thanking the student section.  Just out your horns up and don't sing.

Ah so they shouldn't be forced to sing it, but should be forced to stand there and pretend to feel connected to a bunch of white people singing a minstrel show song AT them that they don't want sung at them?

A distinction without difference.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

I agree that we should unite as fans and team at the end of every game. There's a hurdle to that right now. We should remove that hurdle.

Maybe things will change over time and The Eyes can come back. But the important thing about that tradition isn't the song, but the unity between fans and team.

• Fuck You 2

nobody gives a fuck if this shitty team full of shitty players and shitty coaches sings the eyes.  go play school and get a degree.  we're Cal without the actual academic rep.  no one cares and we for sure don't care about being good in football, basketball or baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is the oddest hill to charge . it's made up . Completely fabricated crap to rally around and "woke" people gather around this red herring . Oh wait , is "red" offensive. I am sure someone is charging that hill as I post ( bad_teamate) cough cough ( no Coivd bro...pussy)

You are insecure and trying to find justice where none is needed. there are sooooo many issues on campus and in this world that we can solve to improve racial justice , but you dumb cunts pick a song that has united the fans of this awesome university for 100 years. Really Really ? FUCK YOU 

You are a frightened insecure and need therapy to find a modicum of self worth in your worthless self loathing life. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Just now, Bevo VIII said:

Dude it’s not even about the song. Players stayed after tech win....they walked off after 2 straight losses. This team has no accountability or discipline. 

And that’s a Tom Herman and football issue. This thread has nothing to do with that. It’s a bunch of dudes making the fact that we suck at football somehow a political issue, which it’s not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, JimmyJames said:

And that’s a Tom Herman and football issue. This thread has nothing to do with that. It’s a bunch of dudes making the fact that we suck at football somehow a political issue, which it’s not. 

No it’s players using a political issue as an excuse. No other teams are doing this kind of shit. It’s exclusive to our players. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I agree that we should unite as fans and team at the end of every game. There's a hurdle to that right now. We should remove that hurdle.

Maybe things will change over time and The Eyes can come back. But the important thing about that tradition isn't the song, but the unity between fans and team.

whatever.  there is no need for unity between players and fans after the game.  just play and walk off the field.  we can play don't stop believin' if we win and even the losers if we lose.  we need to just shoot the Eyes in the head right now so we can't be branded as racists by a bunch of woke SJW's.

Edited by dcar00

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

hey dumbass you understand he can't make them stay or he is a racist.

Just now, JimmyJames said:

So the players are saying they lost because of politics? You got a link for that one?

Don’t be an obtuse fuckhead. 

you don’t see ole miss “rebels” players being all “woke” about their mascot. 

this team is an undisciplined clusterfuck because their head coach has no fucking back bone. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

hey dumbass you understand he can't make them stay or he is a racist.

Maybe Herman should tell them anyone who doesn’t sing the eyes of Texas at the end of the game with a full throated voice is immediately kicked off the team. Would that satisfy you?

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Don’t be an obtuse fuckhead. 

you don’t see ole miss “rebels” players being all “woke” about their mascot. 

this team is an undisciplined clusterfuck because their head coach has no fucking back bone. 

I agree completely with your last sentence.

I don’t recall ole miss winning much of anything, ever, either. 

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Maybe Herman should tell them anyone who doesn’t sing the eyes of Texas at the end of the game with a full throated voice is immediately kicked off the team. Would that satisfy you?

The team walked off on Tom and Sam. That tells you all you need to know. It isn’t about singing you fucking worthless fuck. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

No, but Herman shouldn't rally around NOT singing the song and being "woke" on false pretenses 

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

he tells them they have to be out there for the racist national anthem. they don't sing that.  what would be the difference if he told them they needed to stay for the Eyes as a team before they head to the locker room.

I'm still not sure why they haven't said they aren't going to come out until after the national anthem is played.  and carrying the racist Texas and American flags out, what the fuck is up with that?

2 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

The projection is strong with you.  

It's the truth.

No one is mad that Sam stayed out to sing it. There is only one group of people hurt and furious about this completely irrelevant thing.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

he tells them they have to be out there for the racist national anthem. they don't sing that.  what would be the difference if he told them they needed to stay for the Eyes as a team before they head to the locker room.

Why would you want them standing there knowing they don't want to be there?

I'm still not sure why they haven't said they aren't going to come out until after the national anthem is played.  and carrying the racist Texas and American flags out, what the fuck is up with that?

It's because they aren't actually woke SJWs. 

I know you guys can't accept that because it would make you face the real reason you're so furious, but it's the truth. 

• Hook 'Em 1