Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

We didn’t put our foot down and caved hard to the players because we thought we were lined up for a special season and didn’t want to jeopardize that.  Now that the season has already gone to shit, we seem to be regretting that. 

The aggies had just as high hopes as we did for this season, but Jimbo somehow kept them all in line without having 2-3 players a week threatening to quit/transfer all summer. Yeah, Mond had his short stint as a SJW, but never did he mentioned quitting or sitting out and after those couple days, never another peep about that statue.  Did Jimbo risk the season and put his foot down and tell them to shut up and play (risking a mutiny) or do the aggy players just care more about football and winning than they do about all the “racial injustices” on their campus?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We caved on everything the players wanted except the eyes from their list of demands. Get the fuck outta here with that reply

We didn’t get rid of the song, but told them they don’t have to acknowledge or stick around after the game for it and tried to sneak it in real quick after the first home game to make it “less awkward”.  Well, here we are and shits more awkward than ever.

We should have just won those last 2 games and all would be well and good. 

Edited by EZ$

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

We didn’t get rid of the song, but told them they don’t have to acknowledge or stick around after the game for it and tried to sneak it in real quick after the first home game to make it “less awkward”.  Well, he we are and shits more awkward than ever.

We should have just won those last 2 games and all would be well and good. 

According to the Texas coaches on record they were told the players had to stick around after the games out of respect to the fans and alumni. Only one program isn’t doing that. They were told they didn’t have to participate, yes. But they were not told they didn’t have to stick around unless that was by their lame duck coach who lacks discipline and went against what his boss told him while 2 of the 3 active sports are doing what their boss said to do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

None of this conversation even matters the president of the university said the song isn’t going anywhere. 

The woke mob will be out for blood because they were told yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and no.  It’s just so unfair.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 4

It’s just a toxic cocktail of hubris, naivety, and stupidity.  Why else would the athletes takes on the the elimination of the most recognizable school song in our country (with no hint of racism)?  Surely the football players had to know if they didn’t have a championship season that the reaction was going to be overwhelmingly negative.  Why fight that battle?    Just young and stupid.   A good coach and AD should have helped them and protected them.   

The band going all-in in the cancel culture after the shit had already hit the fan is a head scratcher.   Again poor leadership.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lam, Ham & Jam said:

I assume that our fans in attendance will still sing "The Eyes" on their own when the game ends. Don't need the band. 

It will be piped in.   Just like the tcu and ou games.  After the tcu game they played the eot right after the clock hit 0:00.  So no chance for the players to sing it.  After ou it was several minutes until the eot was played and the players already had mostly left the field as ou planted their flag on the 50.    

I’m going to the Baylor game as well.  I’m about 50% on wanting to see the game and 50% wanting to witness the train wreck after the game.  It’s frankly a disgrace but hard to look away. 

• Like 1

If any current LHB members read this, please do the right thing and resign if you're offended by The Eyes of Texas. You're taking a stand against a "racist" action that you carried on last year, the year before, and even during auditions. You should apologize to the community for the racial hatred you spewed on Saturdays as well as the nationally televised Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon. 
You don't play the eyes during your audition.

2 minutes ago, vtaenz said:
2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:
If any current LHB members read this, please do the right thing and resign if you're offended by The Eyes of Texas. You're taking a stand against a "racist" action that you carried on last year, the year before, and even during auditions. You should apologize to the community for the racial hatred you spewed on Saturdays as well as the nationally televised Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon. 

You don't play the eyes during your audition.

Still need to apologize.

"I'm proud of that song,” Earl Campbell said on a Zoom call with the media. “I think there's a lot of things that can be done other than that song in my opinion. I just believe 'The Eyes of Texas' stands for something."

Fellow Longhorns Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams also talked about the school’s ties to the song.

"I think it's important to understand our history and to understand where the song came from, but I think it's more powerful to transform the meaning of the song and the definition of the song rather than trying to erase our history like it never existed,” Williams said.

• Hook 'Em 6

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Diversity professors find division and racism everywhere. Their job depends on it!!

Grievance Studies Job Description: Applicants will be evaluated (affirmative action of course, so you'll automatically get a perfect score) based on their ability to generate outrage from legitimate and dubious claims of so-called "racism," and if you can make it "systematic" then preferred. Particular interest will be played into those narratives that paint the United States and uniquely racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-Islamic, yada yada yada ... we'll just ignore that whole part about African slavery, misogyny, and anti-homo, you dig? Bonus credit given for random, uncorroborated assertions about how long-standing, unifying institutions can be declared racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-Islamic, etc ... we'll just ignore Islams view on bleks, women, and homos ... and the other letters of that grievance group.

38 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Why do you sing the song? Is the song whats important or is Texas whats important? Did no one love and honor the university before this song existed? You people claiming tradition are no better than Aggy. It doesn't matter what you do , it matters why you do it. Pick something else.

Pick another mascot and a color other than burnt orange while you’re at it. It is not faux tradition. The song has been sang at most academic and sporting events for over a century. It’s not like “Give me a Phat Beat” that originated in 1998.

Isn’t an appropriate compromise to keep the song and unanimously denounce minstrel shows at which it was played a few times? Tangential and unrelated racism that no athletes or alumni knew about for 80+ years while the tradition was cemented should not justify tearing down a seam of the university just to tally a moral victory for social justice warriorism and get one over on “the man.” Of course not, I suppose, in the new world of extreme partisanism on every issue without compromise. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Grievance Studies Job Description: Applicants will be evaluated (affirmative action of course, so you'll automatically get a perfect score) based on their ability to generate outrage from legitimate and dubious claims of so-called "racism," and if you can make it "systematic" then preferred. Particular interest will be played into those narratives that paint the United States and uniquely racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-Islamic, yada yada yada ... we'll just ignore that whole part about African slavery, misogyny, and anti-homo, you dig? Bonus credit given for random, uncorroborated assertions about how long-standing, unifying institutions can be declared racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-Islamic, etc ... we'll just ignore Islams view on bleks, women, and homos ... and the other letters of that grievance group.

We all know who the true victims are.

13 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Pick another mascot and a color other than burnt orange while you’re at it. It is not faux tradition. The song has been sang at most academic and sporting events for over a century. It’s not like “Give me a Phat Beat” that originated in 1998.

Isn’t an appropriate compromise to keep the song and unanimously denounce minstrel shows at which it was played a few times? Tangential and unrelated racism that no athletes or alumni knew about for 80+ years while the tradition was cemented should not justify tearing down a seam of the university just to tally a moral victory for social justice warriorism and get one over on “the man.” Of course not, I suppose, in the new world of extreme partisanism on every issue without compromise. 

Making 0 changes is always an easy compromise for you. Who's the extreme partisan denying racism existed in the past and currently exists in the present. Maybe compromise a little.

• Fuck You 1

49 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"I'm proud of that song,” Earl Campbell said on a Zoom call with the media. “I think there's a lot of things that can be done other than that song in my opinion. I just believe 'The Eyes of Texas' stands for something."

Fellow Longhorns Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams also talked about the school’s ties to the song.

"I think it's important to understand our history and to understand where the song came from, but I think it's more powerful to transform the meaning of the song and the definition of the song rather than trying to erase our history like it never existed,” Williams said.

I love Ricky but the song isn't racist and there is no reason to transform a song that was never racist.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Covri said:

It doesn’t just rhyme it’s the weird al yankovic version of “I’ve been working on the railroad.”

We could probably change it to “down on the field to play” and hope no one notices.

As I went down on the field to play,
Playing about that Texas way,
When you shall wear the orange n’  white,
Good Lord, show me the way.
O longhorn, let's go fight, let's go fight, let's go fight,
O longhorn, let's go fight,
Down on the field to play

2f2fc57e-7522-434e-a638-edc440ad1c0f-scr

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Just tell them that the Eyes represents the secret decoder glasses that uniquely can see this mysterious so-called "systematic" racism that no one else seems to be able to see or identify.