Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Some of those emails are straight up embarrassing for the university.  Full on racist dog whistles 

This one was really bad

"It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

• Rage+1 2

On 1/13/2021 at 12:16 PM, El Squared said:

Its thing for some people, just don't like all the recreationally triggered/offended by everything crowd that wants to see controversy under every rock and and in every molecule of air. I wish they would find some real causes to rail on, and check their shinebox orange slice supply levels.

Yep. Unemployment, wealth gap, poverty, 20 years of unnecessary war... and they pick a goddamn school song. Laugh my ass off.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This one was really bad

"It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

"Less than 6% of our current student body is black," wrote Larry Wilkinson, a donor who graduated in 1970, quoting a statistic UT-Austin officials have stated they’re working to improve. "The tail cannot be allowed to wag the dog….. and the dog must instead stand up for what is right. Nothing forces those students to attend UT Austin. Encourage them to select an alternate school ….NOW!"

"This professor is in charge of the team/ that tells us whether the song is racist or not? His Twitter account is filled with race baiting and cry baby [Black Lives Matter] junk," the caption below the photo read. "UT better get it together and use its brains, not this biased 'victim' professor at UT!"

"I truly hope that you value diversity of opinion...but if you are similar to today's academia you will shut down conservative viewpoints and true facts," wrote one alumni identified as Myers, who called themselves a "disgusted alumni" from the class of 1984. "I do not support UT anymore (even though my family has 3 generations of graduates) because it has become a bastion of far liberal indoctrination and only teaches one point of view...liberalism. Sorry, but it is clear at UT that the white male is totally screwed unless you are 'woke'."

Some of the Daily Texan posters went hog wild with their emails. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

I guess DD hasn't posted yet because he choked himself out masturbating to that article?  

That report will get released and then everyone will move on because.........the song isn't racist (even if some of our old donors got some racist ass hot takes).

• Like 3

My favorite is Sooners and Aggies acting like they are going to be able to use the opinion of a couple of donors to get a kid to re-think their interest in Texas. 99% of these kids just want to win and be developed for the NFL. This has honestly just turned into a pissing contest between fans and donors.

Typical offseason garbage. I bet you could find this at every university in the country if you submit an open records request.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Texas recruiting heating up, so whatever aggy it is working over at the Texas Tribune has gotta bring this shit back up. Right on time. 

Evan Smith is the editor of the Texas Trib. Those who don't know Evan are missing nothing.

Back when the Trib was publishing incorrect stories about aggy's "revenue" during their capital campaign to pay their initial $140 mil stadium payment (the rest was financed with debt, making A&M one of the most deeply indebted schools in the nation) I reached out to Evan to point out how Matt Watkins, the writer, conflated operating revenue with capital contributions Evan was predictably an asshole and saw absolutely nothing wrong with assigning an aggy to write a story about A&M with said aggy getting it all wrong. 

Take what the Texas Tribune publishes with a grain of salt. Evan depends greatly on donor money. He pumps sunshine when the option presents itself. He also knows that certain donors can't politically pull any funding until and unless he crosses some very well defined lines. He gets about $2 mil/yr from UT and about $1 mil/yr from aggy.

One thing you can count on Evan never doing is speaking very uncomfortable truths about donors. The EOT thing is a sideshow compared to other issues on the 40 acres. He can pretty much publish what he wants about that subject and get no reaction from UT, as long as he doesn't cross any lines. He will poke Ut Austin with a stick because it keeps John Sharp and his aggy donors happy. I would be shocked to see him ever ask serious questions about A&M's "Sul Ross problem" or point out that Ross' own daughter pains him as a dedicated white supremacist. Never. Gonna. Happen.

Evan's donor list is available here: https://www.texastribune.org/support-us/corporate-sponsors/

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Some of those emails are straight up embarrassing for the university.  Full on racist dog whistles 

That wasn't a dog-whistle.  Some of that shit was straight-up racist.  

I mean, it was coming from some guys who are older than dirt.  And it's hardly a newsflash that 70-year old white guys from Texas can have racist opinions.  But still . . . how stupid are you to send that shit in writing to a recipient that has to comply with the Public Information Act?

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Calling them dog whistles is generous...they're fucking megaphones. I wish TT would have released the names of each person who sent those emails

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This one was really bad

The Eyes has a racist foundation. Like it or not, that is the truth. You may not think you are racist, but if you want to retain the Eyes, you are aligning yourself with people like this. Some of you won't care - likely because you are also racist. I hope it gives some of you a moment's pause, and encourages you to reevaluate your position. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 33

Since this issue is now being rehashed by the Tribune and as a result also in CFB media, it would be a good time for Hartzell and company to release the results of the commission on the history of the EOT. Says on the website they would release the results in January 2021. https://president.utexas.edu/eyes-texas-history-committee

I doubt much substance or changing of opinions will come of whatever they find so might as well get it out now when the story is being talked about again rather than let it be stirred up yet another time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Since this issue is now being rehashed by the Tribune and as a result also in CFB media, it would be a good time for Hartzell and company to release the results of the commission on the history of the EOT. Says on the website they would release the results in January 2021. https://president.utexas.edu/eyes-texas-history-committee

I doubt much substance or changing of opinions will come of whatever they find so might as well get it out now when the story is being talked about again rather than let it be stirred up yet another time.

They are releasing it next week. It was supposed to be this week but the winter storms pushed everything back a week.

53 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Evan Smith and the Texas Tribune put out some of the best journalism in the country and you are a fucking rube. 

We each have our opinions.

He consistently fails to get to the core issue of many subjects, especially when it comes to his contributors and he's extremely thin skinned. It astounds me how many times he fails to ensure the questions needing to be asked are asked when dealing with subjects of importance.

I've spoken with Evan personally. I've talked about Evan with people he has worked with at other points in his career. I'm comfortable with my assessment of Evan, and his publication.

To sum up the standard of journalism he promotes in one word, I would offer "superficial."

But some people like superficial journalism. I can understand how opinions can differ.

Edited by Randolph Duke

5 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

We each have our opinions.

He consistently fails to get to the core issue of many subjects, especially when it comes to his contributors and he's extremely thin skinned. It astounds me how many times he fails to ensure the questions needing to be asked are asked when dealing with subjects of importance.

To sum up the standard of journalism he promotes in one word, I would offer "superficial."

But some people like superficial journalism. So I can understand how opinions differ.

You think it’s a conspiracy when they don’t give you a receipt at McDonalds so pardon me if I don’t listen to your ramblings about journalism standards. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You think it’s a conspiracy when they don’t give you a receipt at McDonalds so pardon me if I don’t listen to your ramblings about journalism standards. 

I'm not sure where your "McDonalds" comment came from. I'm certainly not a conspiracy nut.

I've spoken with Evan personally. I've talked about Evan with people he has worked with at other points in his career. I'm comfortable with my assessment of Evan, and his publication.

I'm not saying Evan is conspiring in any way. I am sure Evan is doing his professional best.

And therein lies the problem.

1 hour ago, theaveragejon said:

As a Texas grad who bleeds burnt orange. I can’t think of anything I care less about then the song. If you wrap so much of your Texas identity into a song. You’re truly missing so much about what makes Texas great. 

Because it's not their school that they feel is being attacked but their whiteness. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm so glad this thread got bumped. I'm excited to see which new and insightful takes come around this time. 

Exactly. The story generates questions instead of offering newsworthy information.

At least give an update on what the committee has been doing and when we can expect some work product.

Nothing happened in the story arc of the EOT controversy that necessitated the publication of this story at this time?

This isn't newsworthy. It's stale information that leaves us with no more knowledge of the subject than the last time the internal emails were published.

If the Texas Tribune had an ombudsman this would be a perfect time to ask that person Even's rationale for publishing this story today. Doing so would certainly give the reader a better understanding of the underlying editorial thought process.

But unfortunately the Texas Tribune doesn't work that way.

And therein is the problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

The Eyes has a racist foundation. Like it or not, that is the truth. You may not think you are racist, but if you want to retain the Eyes, you are aligning yourself with people like this. Some of you won't care - likely because you are also racist. I hope it gives some of you a moment's pause, and encourages you to reevaluate your position. 

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Can't spread anymore rep right now but wanted to be sure and say Fuck You!  The EOT isn't Horst-Wessel-Lied.  If you don't like it then don't sing it and feel free not to attend any games. 

• Hook 'Em 2

In a shocking development, the woke Twitter mob actually does not have any financial resources. I’m really surprised by this. I assumed these were the most successful and influential people in our community. 

• Haha 7

From the article:

"Went through the [Eyes of Texas]-themed mail inbox again this morning," Gary Susswein, former chief communications officer, wrote to Hartzell and his deputy, Nancy Brazzil, in mid-October. "Nearly 100 percent support for the Eyes of Texas."

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

In a shocking development, the woke Twitter mob actually does not have any financial resources. I’m really surprised by this. I assumed these were the most successful and influential people in our community. 

Correct. From these emails, it appears the most successful and influential people in our community are racists.

• Fuck You 4

13 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Don't worry. They'll all be multi-millionaires one day. Just ask them. Isn't that the way 21st century capitalism works? 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, JFKFC said:

The Eyes National Anthem, Flag, United States of America, Money and every University in this country, our last president and so on...has a racist foundation. Like it or not, that is the truth. You may not think you are racist, but if you want to retain the Eyes any of those things you are aligning yourself with people like this. Some of you won't care - likely because you are also racist. I hope it gives some of you a moment's pause, and encourages you to reevaluate your position. 

You are simple minded at best.  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This one was really bad

Disgusting.  I hope nature runs its course on these types of people, sooner rather than later.   

I'd like to see Caden Sterns  to clarify what "some alumni" means. A dipshit 23 year old recent grad talking shit at a bar to him? Or a wealthy older donor?

"Some alumni" could be anyone on Twitter purporting to represent the university as a graduate.

Anyone who seizes that blurb as a legit talking point is taking some pretty loaded bait.

Ultimately though the news that old white donors can be racists shouldn't come as a big shock to anyone.

My vote has been throughout to get rid of the EOT, ditch the LHB, double down on times that Pom performs or now that we have a poleassassin and a monkey go that route at the end of games for all I care. Traditions are great, but one needs to be flexible in terms of adapting to societal change. This just doesn't seem like a hill worth fighting over when there are multiple end of game options available.

I understand how powerful a rousing rendition of the EOT after a great game can be. I also think it could easily be replaced with just a moment of all the fans and the team standing with the Horns Up together and cheering for one another (or pick a different song to sing post game). Shit find a compromise here.

edit - realized original statement re: Sterns had it where he "needed" to define what he meant. edited it to be I'd like to see him provide proof. (as I am curious which alumni)

Edited by BrazilHorn

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Caden Sterns can kindly go shut up. Nobody hurt him. So what? This is simply the reverse of what athletes are told when they are recruited. Come to SCHOOL X and you'll be lined up with the network to launch a successful career in STATE X. Nobody hurt you. Cry me a river, Sterns.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 9

4 hours ago, JFKFC said:

A2BB5656-6CC1-4C26-B77B-ED24A9F0B028.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1