Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

3 minutes ago, jkates said:

Caden Sterns can kindly go shut up. Nobody hurt him. So what? This is simply the reverse of what athletes are told when they are recruited. Come to SCHOOL X and you'll be lined up with the network to launch a successful career in STATE X. Nobody hurt you. Cry me a river, Sterns.

wat

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, jkates said:

Caden Sterns can kindly go shut up. Nobody hurt him. So what? This is simply the reverse of what athletes are told when they are recruited. Come to SCHOOL X and you'll be lined up with the network to launch a successful career in STATE X. Nobody hurt you. Cry me a river, Sterns.

x factor what GIF

• Haha 3

I am not certain it was confirmed one way or another but weren't some players threatening to not play? At a minimum it was implied they would consider not playing.

Are both sides pissed the other side threatened to use power to their advantage?

If Caden makes it in the NFL and manages his money well, he may never have to work the rest of his life. So I guess I'm going to go with he's trying to stir stuff up.

I think we should let current students vote on it and just let their decision stand. Before the season opener we can reveal the winner.

Best case scenario, it will be hushed and somberly start  “I... get no kick from champagne...”

Worst case it would be a K-pop song. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

I think we should let current students vote on it and just let their decision stand. Before the season opener we can reveal the winner.

Best case scenario, it will be hushed and somberly start  “I... get no kick from champagne...”

I wouldn't let most college students pick my lunch much less this.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

At this point nobody is going to be happy with any decision. Everyone has their minds made up and nobody is going to convince them otherwise. I don’t know what the admin needs to do but they need to do something because it’s been handled extremely poorly.

If it was me, play the eyes as soon as the final gun sounds and the players are shaking hands JUST LIKE THEY DID AGAINST UTEP WHEN NO ONE GAVE A DAMN AND THE MEDIA PRAISED THE WAY IT WAS HANDLED.The fans can sing it, players don’t even need to knowledge it, everyone goes home.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

We could also let them design the course catalog and major requirements

48 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Any truth to this?

Dammit, this situation is fucked up enough without adding complete bullshit narratives to further complicate things. Herman was fired after he need a miracle to beat Tech in overtime and then lost back to back games against TCU and OU. His fate was sealed once we pissed away another season and we just played out the string. Had he dropped the regular season finale in 2019 against Tech he probably would have been fired a year earlier and that was before the EOT controversy was even on people's radar. 

Or to put it more succinctly:

13 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

Hey heres an idea, Tom herman was fired because he fucking sucked

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Remind me again who came up with this grand ‘ol song in the first place? 

We could always go back to his first attempt

For we are jolly students of the ‘Varsity, the ‘Varsity!

We are a merry, merry crew.

We’ll show the chief of all policemen who we are

Rah! Rah! Rah!

Down on the Avenue.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sterns has turned into such a fucking beating. 

If he turns out to be solid in the pros, I'll be convinced he intentionally lacked effort on the field his soph and junior seasons as his own way of protesting perceived injustices in the program and you can't convince me otherwise

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I really really hope the players all stand up and transfer so you guys and your "deal it it or leave" can get what you want. 

And transfer where, to the school whose system chancellor has insisted their on-campus shrine to "the gallant Negro killer of Texas" will stand today, tomorrow, and forever?

Possibly to the school whose basketball coach tried to cover up a murder of a player and then whose football coach was let go for perpetuating a culture of rape within the program?

Possibly to the school that defined corruption and still hasn't ever recovered from the death penalty for their football program.

Point me to where your ethical compass says is clean and pure.

Point out to me exactly which university in Texas is exempt from scorn for good reason. Hell, even Trinity in San Antonio and St Ed's in Houston are at least tangentially tied to the multi-generational Catholic Church child rape atrocity.

So, transfer to exactly where? You name a school, and I will help point out their brutally offensive past.

It is disingenuous to select one element of the state's past without openly discussing the entire state's past.

I wholeheartedly support an open and wide ranging discussion of the state's racist past as long as it is comprehensive and supported by the historical record. This selective picking and choosing of what we will acknowledge and what we will choose to completely ignore isn't constructive. No remembrance of any other aspect of the school's past?

"The eyes of the south are upon you" - R.E. Lee

"The eyes of Texas are upon you" - UT Austin

"The eyes of the world are upon you" - Gen. Dwight Eisenhower

For the record, I am an ardent supporter for re-opening the racial scars of the past.

This isn't a discussion we should run from or be afraid of. But let's make this intellectually honest and be done with the sniping and selective historical recollection that only serves the interests of the truly culpable.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Any truth to this?

Not to belabor this (I've written this in a previous post and it'll echo what we presume to be true and common sense) but Herman was fired for multiple reasons and how he handled the EOT among them.  It's in the basket with how donors and some parents felt they were treated, the fact that the high school coaches hated him, multiple occasions of drinking to excess during or before university activities, including while on recruiting visits.  Literally the only stakeholders resistant to a change were blushing at the buyout cost and the volatility of another coaching switch and not because they held faith that Herman would turn it around. 

It's something of a credit to the decision makers that they didn't wait until the wheels REALLY fell off or based a decision on the bowl game to make the change. 

I still like Herman's embrace of data and Sarkisian will have a much easier road to success as a result of Herman's tenure (at least in terms of updating operations in the football admin to more resemble the Ohio State/Alabama professionalized approach, PWO program, analyst bullpen for fired coaches, etc.).  Sterns is likely to join the list of players who will be very public about their negative experience on campus rather than all of the positives available to a football player.  Hopefully over time the attention paid to him is dwarfed by more positive stories and on the field success. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sterns has turned into such a fucking beating. 

Just another "look at me" drama queen who just can't stand the fact that he's lost his giant group of Burnt Orange enablers to do his weekly victimhood performance art in front of.

We've had plenty of those.

Some of them still get paid to hang around with microphones.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Not to belabor this (I've written this in a previous post and it'll echo what we presume to be true and common sense) but Herman was fired for multiple reasons and how he handled the EOT among them.  It's in the basket with how donors and some parents felt they were treated, the fact that the high school coaches hated him, multiple occasions of drinking to excess during or before university activities, including while on recruiting visits. 

So even if it was on the list (non of which would have really mattered had he just won the conference this year) with the other things you cite, I think you phrased it correctly. "how he handled the EOT". Herman completely failed in his position as the leader of the football program and let this thing spin out of control more so than it ever needed to. 

For Clarence to tweet that it was because he "didn't make the players stay on the field" is just utter bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m always confused if it’s the player who sucks and is a piece of shit or if it’s the coaching staff that sucks and gets fired because they can’t coach up the stupid piece of shit players. The best way I’ve found to discern this is which one has political/social views I agree with, which clearly makes them correct. 

Maybe circle back on this when Overshown is balling out next season.

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Thing is, if the song truly was racist, we would all be in favor of scrapping it.

^ this. If it was lyrically racist, written with a racist agenda, or held any racist sentiment by anyone alive today, it wouldn’t be very defendable. In the era of 2016-present, if you are not seeking out social injustices to protest, you are a bigot nazi. 

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

And transfer where, to the school whose system chancellor has insisted their on-campus shrine to "the gallant Negro killer of Texas" will stand today, tomorrow, and forever?

Possibly to the school whose basketball coach tried to cover up a murder of a player and then whose football coach was let go for perpetuating a culture of rape within the program?

Possibly to the school that defined corruption and still hasn't ever recovered from the death penalty for their football program.

Point me to where your ethical compass says is clean and pure.

Point out to me exactly which university in Texas is exempt from scorn for good reason. Hell, even Trinity in San Antonio and St Ed's in Houston are at least tangentially tied to the multi-generational Catholic Church child rape atrocity.

So, transfer to exactly where? You name a school, and I will help point out their brutally offensive past.

It is disingenuous to select one element of the state's past without openly discussing the entire state's past.

I wholeheartedly support an open and wide ranging discussion of the state's racist past as long as it is comprehensive and supported by the historical record. This selective picking and choosing of what we will acknowledge and what we will choose to completely ignore isn't constructive. No remembrance of any other aspect of the school's past?

"The eyes of the south are upon you" - R.E. Lee

"The eyes of Texas are upon you" - UT Austin

"The eyes of the world are upon you" - Gen. Dwight Eisenhower

For the record, I am an ardent supporter for re-opening the racial scars of the past.

This isn't a discussion we should run from or be afraid of. But let's make this intellectually honest and be done with the sniping and selective historical recollection that only serves the interests of the truly culpable.

HBCU time

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

So even if it was on the list (non of which would have really mattered had he just won the conference this year) with the other things you cite, I think you phrased it correctly. "how he handled the EOT". Herman completely failed in his position as the leader of the football program and let this thing spin out of control more so than it ever needed to. 

For Clarence to tweet that it was because he "didn't make the players stay on the field" is just utter bullshit.

This is just my opinion rather than what I've been told (what I posted earlier is from an impeccable non $9.95 source), but I'd imagine Sarkisian is at least somewhat grateful that EOT blew up under Herman and not him.  Probably Mack is the only coach in modern Texas history that could have managed it as it placed the head coach either on the side of his players or the alumni/donors.  I'm not sure it's a failure of leadership--Herman knew he had to win and whether (in his heart) he shared the players position or not, he needed to not have the EOT divide the locker room. 

CDC will tell you that the players were the only group somewhat arguing to retain Herman (though they could see the writing on the wall with the team's performance, particularly when they are seeing their high school rivals get more attention at OU and A&M in 2020). 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If he turns out to be solid in the pros, I'll be convinced he intentionally lacked effort on the field his soph and junior seasons as his own way of protesting perceived injustices in the program and you can't convince me otherwise

Or pulling an Adrian Phillips and just be solid in college then turn it on come nfl time. God damn. Sterns was my favorite player on that 2018 team. He looked like the next Earl Thomas then proceeded to be completely average his last 2 years here 

16 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Thing is, if the song truly was racist, we would all be in favor of scrapping it.

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

^ this. If it was lyrically racist, written with a racist agenda, or held any racist sentiment by anyone alive today, it wouldn’t be very defendable. In the era of 2016-present, if you are not seeking out social injustices to protest, you are a bigot nazi. 

Right, we all know how easy all the confederate monuments and named buildings have gone down the last few years. Hardly a peep! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

I am not certain it was confirmed one way or another but weren't some players threatening to not play? At a minimum it was implied they would consider not playing.

Are both sides pissed the other side threatened to use power to their advantage?

If Caden makes it in the NFL and manages his money well, he may never have to work the rest of his life. So I guess I'm going to go with he's trying to stir stuff up.

The NFL isn't the windfall you're intimating unless you're a 1st round pick or get a 2nd round contract. Caden simply managing the 600k/yr he makes as a 4tth or 5th round pick for his inital 4 year contract isn't going to keep him from working the rest of his life if he doesn't get a 2nd contract.

56 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m always confused if it’s the player who sucks and is a piece of shit or if it’s the coaching staff that sucks and gets fired because they can’t coach up the stupid piece of shit players. The best way I’ve found to discern this is which one has political/social views I agree with, which clearly makes them correct. 

First, bravo. Second, I don't have a problem with Sterns political views, whatever they are (I don't really care), it's his attitude, character and the whole quitting after 2.5 years thing that I question and take issue with. When he does things like chime in to add fuel to the fire when I'm not sure how much he actually cares about Texas football it reinforces some of my reservations. There's nothing wrong with looking out for yourself but pardon me if I don't weep over your exit or care much what you have to say once you're off campus. 

Now, if there is smoke to what he's saying then that is something that needs to be addressed, especially if what he's claiming is corroborated, but I have to roll my eyes that it's Caden Sterns piping up about it when the news cycle comes back around to the issue. 

Fortunately all of this was under a head coach that is no longer here and by all accounts managed stuff like this poorly. 

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This one was really bad

"It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

This person is free and it's time for him to move on to another school.

Fuck this guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

This person is free and it's time for him to move on to another school.

Fuck this guy.

That guy is very likely an ass. However, you don't get to decide that unless the corporations and obscenely rich appoint you Alumni Worthiness Oberfuhrer. Sieg Heil.

• Fuck You 5