Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

So there are two ways to look at this, IMO.  One is if it helps us get better players, scrap the song, wear alt uniforms with crazy helmets, permit anything the players want to do to go on, whatever.  Stand for nothing other than whatever gets the most quality players here. The other way is to steadfastly stand for all "traditions," no matter how nonsensical or crazy, and demand absolute obedience and observance no matter how ridiculous it gets.

We play one of those every October.  The other we used to play every T+1.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I wouldn't let most college students pick my lunch much less this.

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

You wouldn’t let students pick their own song to the school the currently attend? 

what could go wrong

64ef2f81544448e8da8b10798a988f3d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Cajun said:

You don't need names, just watch for anyone who doesn't agree with you and there ya go!

Great racket.

For all you know I wasn't even talking about you, but awfully nice of you to go ahead and jump on the hook yourself. Good fish.

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

For all you know I wasn't even talking about you, but awfully nice of you to go ahead and jump on the hook yourself. Good fish.

Never said you were talking about me, but helluva an attempt at a strawman, albeit predictable.  LMAO

What is it called when a "fish" catches a fish?

hmmmmm

No matter.  Too small, so be FREE little fella!

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1

The NFL isn't the windfall you're intimating unless you're a 1st round pick or get a 2nd round contract. Caden simply managing the 600k/yr he makes as a 4tth or 5th round pick for his inital 4 year contract isn't going to keep him from working the rest of his life if he doesn't get a 2nd contract.
You're right. I was using "makes it" too generically. He'd have to hit that 2nd contract. I suppose in my mind that is "making it" not simply making a team for a year or two never to be heard from again. And at that point, if he does have to work, he'll have significant flexibility.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Over under on when the school caves and gets rid of the song?

This is similar to the Washington Redskins predicament. The University may kick the can down the road for a year or two but it will change in the near future. Guaranteed.

4 minutes ago, Texas said:

This is similar to the Washington Redskins predicament. The University may kick the can down the road for a year or two but it will change in the near future. Guaranteed.

The University stressed since last fall they would be "educating" students on the history of the song. I guess that hasn't been working? 

Sung to the tune of Barney the purple dinosaur:

I love you, you love me
We're a happy (multiracial) family
We got blacks, whites, latins
And Asians too
With one strong voice we say
FUCK OU!

There. Unity!

**Probably should add a couple more verses to include Pacific islanders, native Americans, LGBTQHLMNOP, the Arabs, those amazon pygmies, and the Jews.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

So this is all because it’s to the beat of I’ve been working on the railroad and samples another song that imply’s racism but the final product the one we have now is in no way has any racist meaning correct?  That’s from what I’ve read but maybe I’m wrong.   If it didn’t take any of the bad parts of the music over a hundred years ago I don’t see the issue now.  A songs meaning isn’t at all related to a song it took samples from ask any artist.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hook1997 said:

So this is all because it’s to the beat of I’ve been working on the railroad and samples another song that imply’s racism but the final product the one we have now is in no way has any racist meaning correct?  That’s from what I’ve read but maybe I’m wrong.   If it didn’t take any of the bad parts of the music over a hundred years ago I don’t see the issue now.  A songs meaning isn’t at all related to a song it took samples from ask any artist.

The original guys who came up with the song and sang it dressed up like this:

spacer.png

.....I'm pretty sure that’s part of the beef.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I love the Eyes of Texas but I love winning football games more. This is not Sark or Herman’s or the donors fault. This falls on CDC and the admin to get control of this like they should have done a long ass time ago.

The emails are kinda the donors' fault.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The emails are kinda the donors' fault.

Yeah, I said it months ago either up thread here, or in another thread - if donors are pulling their money because of this, good.  And fuck them.  Those emails are fucking embarrassing and I'd support telling each of them to fuck off with their money.  There is more $$ to take its place that isn't scared of a bit of a privilege check.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Correct. I hate this thread so much. It’s a fucking song and a badass one at that, especially when we whip the shit out of whoever we’re playing. It’s the fucking school song. I never leave a game early so I can sing the eyes out of respect to the players. Just fuck this whole saga 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1