Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Approximately zero people under 55 or so give a fuck about keeping the song. 

Don’t disagree. That’s why I’d love to see Stern name the alumni that he says threatened his job prospects. 
Big difference between the three examples I laid out. 

First of all: Fuck Clarence and his bullshit attempt at slander.

I never was a fan of the “cancel culture” or “my passion for social justice runs as deep as my Instagram” movements.

I enjoyed listening to the EOT after our memorable football wins of the past 21 years. However, after discovering the origin of the song and the comments the boosters made, it’s become clear that this isn’t the fucking hill to die on. If the athletes that have busted their ass for the university (and no, I’m not including Caden in that group) feel uncomfortable singing the song, then they shouldn’t be forced to do so. This goes beyond cancel culture. This is about applying reason and logic to resolve a real problem. 

• Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Care to put that to a poll of ex students?  That’s not even close to true.  It’s one of the best college songs in the country and no part of the song in it’s current or past hundred year form is racist, the song it’s self that is...  How some people performed it a hundred and twenty years ago still doesn’t make the meaning of the song racist.

I sure as shit don't know the words to SMU's school song. 

That might help the argument for getting rid of the Eyes, though. 

6 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

If I were Sark, I would ask Earl and Ricky if they could do me a "solid" and have them on speed dial during recruiting so a potential commit could call them and ask their position personally.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/earl-campbell-still-supports-his-schools-eyes-of-texas-song/ar-BB18RTsc

CHIEF

‘I’m proud of that song’: Texas Heisman winners Campbell, Williams both support ‘The Eyes’ 

https://www.hookem.com/story/20200909/im-proud-song-texas-heisman-winners-campbell-williams-support-eyes/

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Don’t disagree. That’s why I’d love to see Stern name the alumni that he says threatened his job prospects. 
Big difference between the three examples I laid out. 

I assumed he was referring to the Texas Trib article and the HUNDREDS of letters from angry boomer alums

37 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Care to put that to a poll of ex students?  That’s not even close to true.  It’s one of the best college songs in the country and no part of the song in it’s current or past hundred year form is racist, the song it’s self that is...  How some people performed it a hundred and twenty years ago still doesn’t make the meaning of the song racist.

Its days are numbered.

56 minutes ago, Snacks said:
4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:
Thing is, if the song truly was racist, we would all be in favor of scrapping it.

What other things would we all be in favor scrapping?

Well, one of 'em is now employed by Da Bears.

amirite?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I love the tradition, but "I've Been Working on the Railroad with Better Lyrics" ain't cracking the top 50. Texas' own fight song is a better college song.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Don’t think the EOT is racist itself. But its history is murky enough that this conversation was inevitable and needed to happen.

But what I DO know is that a bunch of our BMDs are racist pieces of shot who should fuck right off and not have anything to do with our university any longer. If the price of getting your donations is that we have to listen to your racist rants about “the blacks” and such....nope. Keep your money, and fuck off.

CDC reading that last sentence --

tenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I had no idea Ricky and Earl were such heartless, ra...

oh, never mind, it's too easy.

This is some tired shit. Nobody is saying people that care about the eyes are heartless or are racist. Sterns, who has carried the bulk of the blame for the whole thing from the fan base didn’t say it:

You guys can either keep fucking that chicken with your fingers in your ears or just maybe listen for a second and we can find a way to get past this that works for everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Nobody is saying people that care about the eyes are heartless or are racist. 

You sure about that?  Nobody?  No one?  Really?

You know what else is some tired shit?

Edited by Cajun
Hint: It ain't about race. Also, my post had to do with other posters here, not Caden Sterns, so while we're on the subject of chicken fornication...

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I love the tradition, but "I've Been Working on the Railroad with Better Lyrics" ain't cracking the top 50. Texas' own fight song is a better college song.

No one thought about “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad” when the song played for the last 50 years until recently.  I just don’t get how it’s racist today because it has the same beat as a song from a hundred and twenty years ago, that makes no sense a beat has nothing to do with the meaning of a song and it’s words.  Most black, white, ect ex athletes that played for Texas agree including the two the field is named after.

Edited by Hook1997

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

No one thought about “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad” when the song played for the last 50 years until recently.  I just don’t get how it’s racist today cause it has the same beat as a song from a hundred and twenty years ago, that makes no sense.  Most black, white, ect ex athletes that played for Texas agree including the two the field is named after.

They aren't playing football anymore. It's the current players and recruits who matter. 

22 minutes ago, Cajun said:

You know what else is some tired shit?

Guess a may need another hint, I have no clue what you are getting at. 

If your post wasn’t a clumsy “gotcha” at the straw-man that players think people who sing the song today are racist then fine, sorry I quoted you in the response. I don’t have a spreadsheet tracking each poster’s stance on the matter.

The point still stands through, as plenty of other posters have been fucking the shit out of that aforementioned chicken. 

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I sure as shit don't know the words to SMU's school song. 

That might help the argument for getting rid of the Eyes, though. 

I don't know the words either, however I do know:

There are only seven notes in their song
There are only seven notes
There are only seven notes in their song.

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

If your post wasn’t a clumsy “gotcha” at the straw-man that players think people who sing the song today are racist then fine, sorry I quoted you in the response. I don’t have a spreadsheet tracking each poster’s stance on the matter.

It wasn't.  Just as there are handful of real, full-on, racists sending in their dumbass emails and such, there's a small number (relatively) of morons who absolutely believe that anyone who stands or sings for The Eyes or wants it to remain the school song is absolutely a racist down to their very core.  They exist.  They post here.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The BMDs and their money can be replaced. Texas is a big state with a lot of rich alums who want to show off with or without the Eyes of Texas.

Jesus, give it a rest.  It was a joke.  

We get it.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

I don't know the words either, however I do know:

There are only seven notes in their song.

I just looked it up to listen. It sucks. I don't think there'd be more than a blurb in the campus newspaper if a group of students claimed it was racist. Then again I'm not sure anyone af SMU has participated in sports traditions for like 35 years. Besides the basketball and golf staffs tacking on more major NCAA violations which is our best running tradition. 

I guess what I'm getting at is that the eyes really is a great school song and tradition, but I can also understand the "it's just a song" argument. 

14 minutes ago, Cajun said:

It wasn't.  Just as there are handful of real, full-on, racists sending in their dumbass emails and such, there's a small number (relatively) of morons who absolutely believe that anyone who stands or sings for The Eyes or wants it to remain the school song is absolutely a racist down to their very core.  They exist.  They post here.

Fair enough, mea culpa. Honestly I want to push back on the bolded but there was a poster on here today that pretty much said exactly that. 

I guess I’ll just say that I haven’t heard the players (who this is about) express that. And it sucks that many members of the first extreme group are donors who feel comfortable emailing their bullshit and trying to throw their weight around instead of a handful of dipshit Surly posters. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, no.

It's a non-zero number but I'd bet if you did a poll of all alumni from the last 40-50 years about who would care if the song went away, this would be the bar graph broken down by age range:

45-451994_bar-graph-increase-png-clipart

The football players and probably most students couldn't give a shit about the opinions of all the olds/boomers who attended in the 70's and 80's for $500 a year, back when UT wasn't as prestigious as it is now. 

• Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

I think we should let current students vote on it and just let their decision stand. Before the season opener we can reveal the winner.

Best case scenario, it will be hushed and somberly start  “I... get no kick from champagne...”

Worst case it would be a K-pop song. 

This is terrible, this idea.

4 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

First of all: Fuck Clarence and his bullshit attempt at slander.

I never was a fan of the “cancel culture” or “my passion for social justice runs as deep as my Instagram” movements.

I enjoyed listening to the EOT after our memorable football wins of the past 21 years. However, after discovering the origin of the song and the comments the boosters made, it’s become clear that this isn’t the fucking hill to die on. If the athletes that have busted their ass for the university (and no, I’m not including Caden in that group) feel uncomfortable singing the song, then they shouldn’t be forced to do so. This goes beyond cancel culture. This is about applying reason and logic to resolve a real problem. 

Who in all of this is in favor of forcing them to sing?

Nobody, so far as I know.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

^^Yeah, they all suck.  Not sure it'll ever happen, but I really fantasize about a day when we'll just get back to football.

Period. The game.

Crazy talk, I know.

Yep, this. I don't even care if they play the national anthem at games anymore. I mean the Olympics and World Cup sure, yeah it makes sense. Every other domestic matchup or a Dallas vs Toronto NBA game, who gives a shit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

This is terrible, this idea.

Who in all of this is in favor of forcing them to sing?

Nobody, so far as I know.

Exactly.  People chime in without knowing what has already been discussed and agreed upon by most of the student leadership and admin.  Tis life.

Edited by RollLeft

I'm going to be brutally honest, the first time I saw Texas fans singing EOT, I looked at my buddy and said "why are they singing 'I've Been Workin' On The Railroad'"?

From the outside looking in, many of the traditions that Texans and the fans of Texas schools hold so dear look very silly.  What gives them power is the number of you who participate and the enthusiasm those people have for it.  They command gravitas because so many people insist on it.  That's all really any tradition has going for it at the end of the day - a critical mass of people who've agreed that this ritual is important.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I wonder what he thinks would happen to Texas football if it didn't have any black athletes?

If it comes down to falsifying history and giving in to their every little spoiled whine and moan, I don't think a lot of us have any fucks left to give... or any money or time. It can dry up and blow away.

• Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Thing is, if the song truly was racist, we would all be in favor of scrapping it.

Yeah not sure who ‘we’ is but this guy would probably want to turn said song into the national anthem.

"It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

Also, there would be HELL to pay if anyone tried to take BoomerSooner from me.  

Statement from office of President on the emails:

The Tribune’s use of a small sample of around 75 emails misrepresents the views of over 540,000 living alumni. This has led some to make false inferences about our values and actions. With regard to the very small number of emails I have received and comments made that are abhorrent or hateful, I categorically reject them and they bear no influence on any aspect of our decision-making as a university. They also do not represent the Longhorn nation I and so many others know and love. The Eyes of Texas represents a difficult conversation focused on a hard topic. The fact that we don’t all agree doesn’t mean that we don’t all belong. Next week, the Eyes of Texas History Committee will release its report. Equipped with a common set of facts, we will then continue the conversation about our school song. Having spoken to students and faculty on the committee, I truly believe we can be a model for how communities address complex problems and move forward together.

link

• Hook 'Em 8

21 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

If it comes down to falsifying history and giving in to their every little spoiled whine and moan, I don't think a lot of us have any fucks left to give... or any money or time. It can dry up and blow away.

Lol Texas football will be fine without your money and a few others

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Statement from office of President on the emails:

link

Expecting Evan Smith to include the fact that a committee report will be released next week would be asking him to exceed his professional abilities. 

Instead, he simply publishes a story that adds nothing to the discussion.

The people of Texas deserve more for the money we pay Evan than a muckraker. 

The $2 million UT pays to support The Texas Tribune should be redirected to a Black owned publication to support both diversity and journalism. Both are lacking at Texas Tribune. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

You started with "middle ground" and ended up with a binary false choice.  Interesting.

But that isn't even the issue and the issue isn't even race.  The booger blob of offended outrage insists on surviving and to survive it needs a constant stream of offenses to consume.  If it can't locate any organic ones, it is more than capable planting new ones in the soil of the idiocy of our current culture and watering it daily with "reimagine" sauce until it has plenty eat.

It is never satisfied.

Ever.

The binary choice seems to be imposed by donors that are willing to walk away from football over the song.

I don't disagree with your point about the blob of outrage.  It will always find something to react to, but I guess I think the better strategy with those folks is to mostly ignore them.  They're very much empowered by the extreme outrage and offense they provoke in others.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The binary choice seems to be imposed by donors that are willing to walk away from football over the song.

I don't disagree with your point about the blob of outrage.  It will always find something to react to, but I guess I think the better strategy with those folks is to mostly ignore them.  They're very much empowered by the extreme outrage and offense they provoke in others.

So there's no other football out there?

Nevermind, I get what you're saying.  I don't support the ones who flex b/c "fuck you n_______r" and hope they do GTFO, but the ones who understand what I said above and say, "Enough is enough", uh huh.

And you're spot on in that last sentence.  

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

So there's no other football out there?

Who's implying that?  I pointed out that there are options other than either capitulating to the woke mob, or taking the stance of you "fuck you, black people" that at least one of your donors is doing.  I also gave an opinion that breaking up with your alma mater's football program over whether or not the players sing a song seems like over the top butthurt.

Then you said I'm imposing a false binary choice.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

Who's implying that?  I pointed out that there are options other than either capitulating to the woke mob, or taking the stance of you "fuck you, black people" that at least one of your donors is doing.  I also gave an opinion that breaking up with your alma mater's football program over whether or not the players sing a song seems like over the top butthurt.

Then you said I'm imposing a false binary choice.

That's why I edited and said, "Nevermind, I get what you're saying".

• Hook 'Em 1

I always liked the unifying aspect of the song and having players and fans get a moment together after a tough battle.

If the song is to be axed, i just hope they can still keep a way for players and fans to have that moment, its a very unique thing in college sports and i'd hate to see it go away completely.

• Hook 'Em 1