Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

The people who find EOT racist because of its "minstrel roots" would be blown away to learn that to this very day there is a Minstrel Carnival in Cape Town where Blacks wear white face and dress in striped jackets.

I guess its time we send enlightened Americans over to South Africa to tell Blacks to quit venerating their white privilege and stop acting like racists.

This year's Minstrel Carnival will be in June. Plenty of time to book plane tickets.

Blacks can dress in white face and celebrate minstrel traditions. Insisting they stop would be racist. Meanwhile, whites can't sing EOT because its minstrel roots makes it blatantly racist. Welcome to 2021.

The Cape Town Street Parade, commonly known as the Cape Minstrel Carnival or “Tweede Nuwe Jaar” procession has been postponed to mid-June next year.

The annual klopse parade usually sees thousands of minstrels from all areas across Cape Town performing in the streets of the city centre.

The event traditionally takes place a day or two after New Year's Day, bringing the streets to life with colourful costumes, glitter, and spirited Ghoema music.

But the festivities cannot take place in January 2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

https://www.capetalk.co.za/articles/403397/cape-town-s-klopse-parade-moved-to-june-2021

5 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

The people who find EOT racist because of its "minstrel roots" would be blown away to learn that to this very day there is a Minstrel Carnival in Cape Town where Blacks wear white face and dress in striped jackets.Not

I guess its time we send enlightened Americans over to South Africa to tell Blacks to quit venerating their white privilege and stop acting like racists.

This year's Minstrel Carnival will be in June. Plenty of time to book plane tickets.

Blacks can dress in white face and celebrate minstrel traditions. Insisting they stop would be racist. Meanwhile, whites can't sing EOT because its minstrel roots makes it blatantly racist. Welcome to 2021.

Not just its minstrel show roots, but also its ties to the Confederacy.

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Not just its minstrel show roots, but also its ties to the Confederacy.

It's "ties to the confederacy" are because Robert E. Lee allegedly once said "the eyes of the south are upon you."

Do you really believe that makes it "tied to the confederacy?" If so, we need to remove more than EOT from our nation's history.

https://buckleyschool.com/magazine/articles/the-eyes-of-the-world-are-upon-you-eisenhowers-d-day-speech/

eisenhower eyes.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

It's "ties to the confederacy" are because Robert E. Lee allegedly once said "the eyes of the south are upon you."

Do you really believe that makes it "tied to the confederacy?" If so, we need to remove more than EOT from our nation's history.

https://buckleyschool.com/magazine/articles/the-eyes-of-the-world-are-upon-you-eisenhowers-d-day-speech/

eisenhower eyes.jpeg

No one is asking the Eyes of Texas to be removed from history. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

"I should be able to sing the Eyes of Texas because some black people in South Africa wear white face" is a first ballot, Randolph Duke Hall of Fame post.

How about "racism anywhere, in any form, must be challenged."

If minstrel roots are the definition of blatant racism, shouldn't we be sending enlightened Americans to Cape Town to tell them to end their racist ways? Or are you one of those who willingly ignores racism out of personal convenience.

Chuckie Finster insisting that racism be ignored because he finds doing so more aligned with his "true beliefs."

(See how easy it is to ignore someone's message and instead fly off on some meaningless tangent?)

The subject is much more complex than minstrel=blatant racism. Start trying to look at the subject less superficially.

Slavery today is extremely prevalent around the world. Most people, black or white, don't care about slavery. If they did, they would try to make the world a better place and so something about the problem.

Minstrel culture is accepted as a part of life in South Africa today because of its cultural context. Cultural context. Blacks in South Africa wearing white face can sing EOT, because minstrel celebrations are accepted there, but whites singing EOT in Texas is racist. Think about that.

Yes, you can have minstrel celebrations that are not racist. Depending on the cultural context. Think about that.

Now, help me understand the cultural context of how EOT was developed.

And please site sources. I'll hang up and take my answer off line.

Edited by Randolph Duke

The longer we keep the song and the longer we bicker about it, the worse we look. 

Get rid of the fucking song already (should have been done last year) and start a new tradition or school song. When we are all long and gone, this story will only be a footnote to the football national championships we will win because we dropped the song, anyway

Like others have said, there is no fucking way we keep the song in its current form. The sooner yall realize this, the sooner yall can accept it and move forward. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 6

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

The longer we keep the song and the longer we bicker about it, the worse we look. 

Get rid of the fucking song already (should have been done last year) and start a new tradition or school song. When we are all long and gone, this story will only be a footnote to the football national championships we will win because we dropped the song, anyway

Like others have said, there is no fucking way we keep the song in its current form. The sooner yall realize this, the sooner yall can accept it and move forward. 

It’s really that easy...At the end of the day all you want is something where everyone in the end can come together and not have any uneasy feelings...It’s really not that hard, it’s just sometimes you have ones who don’t wanna change no matter who is offended 

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

vocal minority vs vocal minority who will win out for the majority!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

No.  I can't speak for everyone, but in the 50 plus years I have been singing the eyes, my thoughts were we are the greatest university in the greatest state.   

• Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Been reading a lot of Thomas sowell, Walter williams, and Larry elder.  Eye opening.  Lots of facts.  For those easily offended, it's not for you.  🤘

“I read books by black guys who agree with me. Obviously, I'm not racist.”

Ok, now go read books by people who don't agree with you. But if you're easily offended, it's not for you.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

How about "racism anywhere, in any form, must be challenged."

If minstrel roots are the definition of blatant racism, shouldn't we be sending enlightened Americans to Cape Town to tell them to end their racist ways? Or are you one of those who willingly ignores racism out of personal convenience.

Chuckie Finster insisting that racism be ignored because he finds doing so more aligned with his "true beliefs."

(See how easy it is to ignore someone's message and instead fly off on some meaningless tangent?)

The subject is much more complex than minstrel=blatant racism. Start trying to look at the subject less superficially.

Slavery today is extremely prevalent around the world. Most people, black or white, don't care about slavery. If they did, they would try to make the world a better place and so something about the problem.

Minstrel culture is accepted as a part of life in South Africa today because of its cultural context. Cultural context. Blacks in South Africa wearing white face can sing EOT, because minstrel celebrations are accepted there, but whites singing EOT in Texas is racist. Think about that.

Yes, you can have minstrel celebrations that are not racist. Depending on the cultural context. Think about that.

Now, help me understand the cultural context of how EOT was developed.

And please site sources. I'll hang up and take my answer off line.

Is there a carbon monoxide leak in your house

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ricky and Earl still want it sung. The Godfather’s have spoken. Some of the coolest moments in my and many other Longhorn fans life has been singing the eyes before and after every game

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

5 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

“I read books by black guys who agree with me. Obviously, I'm not racist.”

Ok, now go read books by people who don't agree with you. But if you're easily offended, it's not for you.

Like Acho's book?  Done that.  Others too.  More opinions than facts mostly.  Funny how all mention slavery but never mention the 1300 year muslim slave trade in africa.  Or how it was the white people that ended slavery.  Or how Muslims casterated the black slaves.  And so on.  Most of the other books just tell me how guilty I should feel for something that happened 5-6 generations before I was born.  I can turn on the TV for that. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

21 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Is there a carbon monoxide leak in your house

When the importance of cultural context is brought up, all you could think of was a carbon monoxide leak.

We thank you for your insightful contribution.

Cultural context. Ignoring it only shows your ignorance.

The argument that EOT is racist because it is attached to minstrel culture and of Robert E. Lee's alleged statement is an argument based on ignorance.

Hopefully, the commission's report will add the required cultural context and we can finally move this discussion forward.

minstrel composite.jpeg

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

The people who find EOT racist because of its "minstrel roots" would be blown away to learn that to this very day there is a Minstrel Carnival in Cape Town where Blacks wear white face and dress in striped jackets.

Really bad news for the Cape Town Longhorns rugby team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Ricky and Earl still want it sung. The Godfather’s have spoken. Some of the coolest moments in my and many other Longhorn fans life has been singing the eyes before and after every game

Lol really?? Y’all are missing out if some of y’all’s coolest moments in a rich Texas sports history was singing a song...ijs 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

Lol really?? Y’all are missing out if some of y’all’s coolest moments in a rich Texas sports history was singing a song...ijs 

I usually enjoy the game more than singing a song at the end of the game, but that's just me. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I usually enjoy the game more than singing a song at the end of the game, but that's just me. 

Cool.  I enjoy the game too, but one of the unique qualities of college football is the tradition.  

Did you ever think the song was in any way racist until this became a headline? 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Like Acho's book?  Done that.  Others too.  More opinions than facts mostly.  Funny how all mention slavery but never mention the 1300 year muslim slave trade in africa.  Or how it was the white people that ended slavery.  Or how Muslims casterated the black slaves.  And so on.  Most of the other books just tell me how guilty I should feel for something that happened 5-6 generations before I was born.  I can turn on the TV for that. 

Funny how when talking about America we don't also incorporate Pluto in the discussion. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Cool.  I enjoy the game too, but one of the unique qualities of college football is the tradition.  

No, but to be quite frank, I graduated college and didn't really think about it much anymore.  It's not like I stood in my living room and sang it after a game. 

If you do, cool for you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

No. Personally, I still don't think the song itself is racist.

But it does have obvious ties to racists and racism. 

Which is why it is going to be retired sometime in the not too distant future. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Honestly no, never paid it any attention. But when you know better you do better, that’s how the world works now...It’s not the University of Eyes of Texas lol, rather we change the song or not we are still going to be the University of Texas, the song does not define us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Can I get a fact check from RD or someone else who follows this stuff?

Well the problem is Texas Athletics is basically run by a junta of big time boosters. 

Just now, Js1 said:

Well the problem is Texas Athletics is basically run by a junta of big time boosters. 

Which just shows that people outside the program are right....Texas has a big problem of to many cooks in the kitchen just cause they have a big pocket book 

In this as with all politically charged issues in the 21st century, both sides seem unwilling to show empathy to the opposition and see their perspective. 

I thought the university had a committee and would find a compromised solution like denouncing racism and educating on minstrel shows and other bigoted parts of university history, without canceling a song that is not itself racist. Old honkies don’t care what “the blacks” think, while progressives and SJWs seem bent on eradicating it. Seeming charged myself, can we not get to a place where people don’t feel the need to be offended and seek out controversy where none exists? This is way beyond EOT. Society is devolving into an Us vs Them turf war where one side is portrayed as being intolerant to any change while the other side would be content tearing everything down originating or celebrating a time, person, or event that occurred prior to whatever period is compliant with the contemporary acceptable social narrative. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Hook 'Em 9

2 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Which just shows that people outside the program are right....Texas has a big problem of to many cooks in the kitchen just cause they have a big pocket book 

Well yeah. Texas can forego all donor money and still be a top 5 profitable program in the country but we wouldn't be #1 and win all those Revenue Championships, which is and seemingly has been the goal of the Athletics Department since the 80s. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure why this is so hard. Let those that want to sing the song, sing the song, and whoever doesn’t want to sing it shouldn’t have to and nobody should care about the other persons decision. Why this wasn’t the compromise from the beginning I have no idea. Fuck this stupid as song shit.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well yeah. Texas can forego all donor money and still be a top 5 profitable program in the country but we wouldn't be #1 and win all those Revenue Championships, which is and seemingly has been the goal of the Athletics Department since the 80s. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c04557e84ec811fffb1d96cd9a872347.jpeg

2 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

Lol Texas football will be fine without your money and a few others

Maybe. Maybe not, dependent on numbers. Honestly, I feel little emotional attachment to that song. However, I don't care to be part of twisting history and truth to bow to neo-liberal party hacks. I say that as a life-long independent, anti-war economic leftist, and social libertarian. Both major parties and their corporate, money and attention grabbing political hacks and puppets make me sick. There is no difference between the two big parties. Neither one of them represent the middle and working classes or the growing numbers of poor. I'm done with this non-issue. Hopefully, it completely disappears from this board and from the "news".

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lord forbid we lose the revenue war but start winning in the field

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Can I get a fact check from RD or someone else who follows this stuff?

He is working off of 2018 numbers, but is not far off. For FY 2019, donations were $48.3 mil, for FY 2020 they were $49.4.

What he is ignoring is that expenses at UT are far higher than other schools, for a variety of reasons. For example, the Nike contract includes "$22.5 million over the life of the contract for “financial support of UT Austin university initiatives (outside Intercollegiate Athletics) subject to UT Austin President’s approval" and well as four paid annual internships funded by Nike for two student-athletes and two (non-student-athlete) undergraduate UT Austin students."*

There are a lot of opportunities given to students by Bellmont. And jobs, to both members of the community as well as to students wanting to pursue careers in live sports entertainment.

Yes, Texas could start refusing to accept donor contributions. To do so would necessitate a massive restructuring of the entire athletics department. It would necessitate eliminating the millions given annually by the athletics department to the academic side, something only very few schools in the nation do (LSU is the only other school in the nation that comes to mind at the moment).

Simply claiming "everything would be ok" is very simplistic.

* Source: https://www.hookem.com/uncategorized/20151030/details-of-utnike-250-million-contract-include-cash-up-front-kevin-durant-line-of-apparel/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Put me in the camp of "the song will eventually go away, so just end it now so we don't have to keep doing this." 

We can reasonably defend the song as non-racist. We can make logical arguments to justify it, many of which are valid.

But it doesn't matter. It's stained at this point; it's already done. More and more people will associate it with ugly racism - whether you think it should be or not. It doesn't matter anymore. 

My hunch is that the current student majority would vote to get rid of it. To me, this is their time. The players clearly have strong feelings about it. And every time it is covered in the media, it will carry negative connotations and we will look bad. And nothing good will come out of digging our collective heels in.  

I personally don't care about the song. Its a song. Not hearing it again will do nothing to change the fact that I had a great experience at UT, that I have pride in the institution, that I enjoy following the school's academic and athletic events, etc. And none of that is affected by whether we sing along to EOT after a football game, at all. My position is that I am not qualified to tell anyone what should or should not offend them. 

This is where I'm at. It's irrelevant whether there is or isn't a racist past with The Eyes. If the current students don't want something, then the school should go with their opinions. The school and the sports is for them first, and alumni second.

And agree 100% that no one is ever in a position to tell someone else that they're not being offended. Obviously there is a general reasonableness check on whether something should be banned or stopped but I can't say that is my role to decide. And if you are someone that wants to argue something isn't racist, that seems like a poor position to put yourself in.

finally, I could care less about a school song. Getting all worked up about keeping the song is very Aggie-like. I went to UT to avoid that. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 3

15 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

In this as with all politically charged issues in the 21st century, both sides seem unwilling to show empathy to the opposition and see their perspective. 

I thought the university had a committee and would find a compromised solution like denouncing racism and educating on minstrel shows and other bigoted parts of university history, without canceling a song that is not itself racist. Old honkies don’t care what “the blacks” think, while progressives and SJWs seem bent on eradicating it. Seeming charged myself, can we not get to a place where people don’t feel the need to be offended and seek out controversy where none exists? This is way beyond EOT. Society is devolving into an Us vs Them turf war where one side is portrayed as being intolerant to any change while the other side would be content tearing everything down originating or celebrating a time, person, or event that occurred prior to whatever period is compliant with the contemporary acceptable social narrative. 

Report from UT will be released next week per Quan Cosby who said he was on the Committee researching the history and discussing this issue.  He stated that the Committee was a diversified group of folks from various backgrounds to gather several different perspectives.

(Quan was on HornFM this morning. I'll try to add playback when available.)

FWIW... Quan has been a supporter of keeping EOT

• Hook 'Em 3