Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

25 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

As can Daniel Figurelli, under any alias. He does it on Twitter, why not in emails?

Don’t do this. Just like every school we have racists among our alumni. Let’s be accountable and try to be better. This isn’t an aggy false flag operation. 

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Don’t do this. Just like every school we have racists among our alumni. Let’s be accountable and try to be better. This isn’t an aggy false flag operation. 

I’m not saying we don’t. I am saying WE don’t know who these racist emailers are. Our admin may, but I can assure you there’s at least one Daniel Figurelli in the bunch.

I decry all forms of racism, and think it’s disgusting anyone would express himself that way in writing or otherwise. I’ve just learned not to believe everything I read all these years on the internet regarding schools and sports or anything else, really. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

You know the star spangled banner has been sung by racists throughout it's history. Probably need to cancel it. In fact, when originally written it was sung to celebrate a country full of slaves.  It was the national anthem of a country with slavery.

Holy shit. So aside from the fact that we are 9 months and 138 pages into this and you still fundamentally don’t understand what this is about, are you really unaware that many black people in this country actually do have...let’s say “complicated” feelings towards the national Anthem?

image.thumb.jpeg.0c259e619c0a14067118e6d843b5fd98.jpeg

image.thumb.png.09f0996f1bfea756d044d18a6505bc38.png

image.thumb.jpeg.340535016e5d526503c2f8643759f26e.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Holy shit. So aside from the fact that we are 9 months and 138 pages into this and you still fundamentally don’t understand what this is about, are you really unaware that many black people in this country actually do have...let’s say “complicated” feelings towards the national Anthem?

image.thumb.jpeg.0c259e619c0a14067118e6d843b5fd98.jpeg

image.thumb.png.09f0996f1bfea756d044d18a6505bc38.png

image.thumb.jpeg.340535016e5d526503c2f8643759f26e.jpeg

Actually I don't think black people have a problem with the anthem but more trying to bring awareness to police brutality (mostly). They don't think it's a racist song. 

34 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

They don't think it's a racist song. 

I’m curious what point you think you are making by bringing up the SSB while being naively hopeful you are dangerously close to making a breakthrough here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This country is one of the least racist on this planet. Doesn't excuse the racism that exists. But spend time anywhere else, any other continent. Asian, Central and South American countries take it to another level. 
Its part of the human condition. And its awful, we should all strive to be better. But if you can't see that racism and victimhood in this country has been co-opted for power and money, I don't know what to tell you. You're playing into the hands of very few that would like to divide. 

This is the truth, some just choose not to see it. Yes we still have racism in this country, but like you say..its nothing compared to Asian countries, and even some in Europe. That doesnt make us superior to those countries when it comes to race relations, but we're far from the most racist country on the planet. There are polticians and organizations who's very existence depends on keeping the race divide going indefinitely...and until we get rid of those, true equality (never mind equity which is another can of worms) will never be achieved. It seems like every time we get closer to equality, the goalposts are moved..

Asians are appalled by our treatment of black people. They believe if we would have just kept them oppressed, there could be no argument. 

The sad thing is, slavery wasn’t even the biggest form of racism in this country’s history. However, in order to right the wrongs committed towards Native Americans, we’d all have to leave the country, and that’s a sacrifice even those seeking to eradicate “all” potential references to historical injustice aren’t willing to make.

As a nation, we’ll never make substantial forward progress if we’re always looking back. We need community agendas that bring together, and this recent movement is not the way. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

well maybe if so many Texans hadn't pissed and moaned about removing Lee statues, covering up his bio, complaining about how we can't just erase his heritage and military prowess...people wouldn't be digging around looking for everything dumbass, racist thing he ever said.  

The Confederacy lost.  Every single fucking thing that stands for its memory is a participation trophy.  It's a remind of a second rate group of people (White Southerners) who could fuck up a cup of coffee, and how they'll always be lesser Americans.  People lose wars, no shame in it.  But they don't spend 150 years afterwards screaming about "Yeah, but..."  If people would shut the fuck up about Lee, and the South, and heritage, and state's rights, and all that other bullshit...the song woulda been fine and stood the test of time.  But nope, people gotta find something else to virtue signal about.  I can't be an out-and-out racist cunt at alumni gatherings anymore 'cause of that darn Top 10% rule, so I guess I'll pick some other meaningless battle.  150 years later, Southern Pride doesn't know it's a dead man walking.  

I love the song.  But a people should know when they've been conquered, particularly 6 generations later. 

I like chicory coffee, especially w Beignets. Clearly, you have no appreciation for the finer things...

As for your last statement?! You sound like a colonizer. Which kind of goes counter to the whole woke, free my people, reparations, we ain’t singing no cracker song thing. I hear that burnt orange, offends as well, ban it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think I've ever had Chicory Coffee.  And I don't know that I ever will.  

I was all for both sides picking their trivial virtual signals and idiotic hills to die on.  Didn't really have any effect on my life. 

But this one could impact recruiting so get this shit figured out, toot-sweet. 

Edited by Lobo

17 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

"As a student, he reportedly heard Washington and Lee University President Robert E. Lee tell students, "Young men, the eyes of the South are upon you." President Prather changed the words slightly and used them as opening and parting comments he made to students. "The Eyes of Texas are upon you" was placed under trademark registration in 1936."

Literally hearsay.

What's the difference of Prather saying "the eyes of Texas are you" and Dwight Eisenhower saying "The eyes of the world are upon you?"

Or is Eisenhower another figure that must be erased from history in the name of racial sensitivity?

I'm comfortable waiting for the committee report and going from there.

eisenhower eyes.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

What's the difference of Prather saying "the eyes of Texas are you" and Dwight Eisenhower saying "The eyes of the world are upon you?"

Or is Eisenhower another figure that must be erased from history in the name of racial sensitivity?

eisenhower eyes.jpeg

The difference is that Prather attributed his statement to Robert E. Lee.

I don't think I've ever had Chicory Coffee.  And I don't know that I ever will.  
I was all for both sides picking their trivial virtual signals and idiotic hills to die on.  Didn't really have any effect on my life. 
But this one could impact recruiting so get this shit figured out, toot-sweet. 
You probably had coffee with a bit of chicory in it, just didnt know it. It's not an exotic thing, pretty common really.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

If you say so.

Lonely-Sam.jpg

I guess I'm at the point where I don't give a damn. If no one wants to play football at Texas because of very flimsy evidence about the racist origins of a song, I don't care. Let the little front runners go elsewhere. I'll watch other teams, improve my golf swing, go fishing, etc. on fine fall afternoons. I'm about done with the whining and blaming and political bullSHIT. Take it elsewhere and infect some other school. 

• Like 1

I would like to see somebody submit a FOI request to see emails regarding aggy's "Sul Ross" situation from this summer. I bet they're far nastier than ours.

Second, the Musers IMO had a pretty decent discussion of the current situation on The Ticket this AM. Maybe this is a way for the university to reclaim the program and athletic department from the donors. Or is that pie-in-the-sky thinking? People have long talked about UT's crippling dysfunction because the donors truly call the shots when it comes to athletics, particularly football. Maybe we can finally start telling people that we're grateful for their donations but if they don't agree to take a back seat and remain a "fan" and not an extended member of the department, we're happy to look to get the money elsewhere. Inmates running the asylum does not seem to be the best model to follow if you want an elite athletic department.

CSB time that shows how things can change pretty quickly.

I was able to be in the living room when Mack was recruiting a highly rated black athlete in 2004 (single mother with no father present).  At one point during the pitch Mack asked the player/mother if they knew anything about the "Eyes of Texas Tradition".  They didn't say much.  Mack spent the next 15 minutes talking about the song and its meaning within the Texas community.  Really hyped up the family atmosphere of not just the team but the whole Texas experience.  He then turned directly to the mother and said essentially "and we sing that song and raise our hands whether we win or lose.  We are not going to win every game and is important to have character and part of character is doing things even when you dont feel like.  But we build men with character at Texas".   The mom was sold and the player eventually signed with Texas.

Just amazing to me that something that now is being used as a negative to UT and a perceived slight to Black players was used as a closing recruiting tool to Black players just a few years ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

eisenhower eyes.jpeg

President Dwight Eisenhower kept a picture or Robert E Lee in his office. Therefore the DavidDennisons of the world say CANCEL HIM.

55 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

I was able to be in the living room when Mack was recruiting a highly rated black athlete in 2004 (single mother with no father present).  At one point during the pitch Mack asked the player/mother if they knew anything about the "Eyes of Texas Tradition".  They didn't say much.  Mack spent the next 15 minutes talking about the song and its meaning within the Texas community.  Really hyped up the family atmosphere of not just the team but the whole Texas experience.  He then turned directly to the mother and said essentially "and we sing that song and raise our hands whether we win or lose.  We are not going to win every game and is important to have character and part of character is doing things even when you dont feel like.  But we build men with character at Texas".   The mom was sold and the player eventually signed with Texas.

Just amazing to me that something that now is being used as a negative to UT and a perceived slight to Black players was used as a closing recruiting tool to Black players just a few years ago.

Sark is about to start recruiting kids who weren't even born at that time.

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sark is about to start recruiting kids who weren't even born at that time.

Mom: Is my son going to be developed into a leader and a respectful young man under your watch and kept out of trouble? 

Recruit: Are we going to win games and give me a chance at an NFL career?

Sark: Let me tell you about this song we sing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, sheeeit said:

When in the pitch did Mack bring up the mistral show? I'm assuming he didn't close with it. Maybe just threw it in quickly at the start.

Those of you  who would rather go watch golf than the team playing without the eyes can fuck right off and go watch golf.  My commitment is to the school, students and players. They are the ones that have the right to decide which traditions they value. 

Also if losing the eyes destroys your fandom than we're better off without you.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Pasken said:

When in the pitch did Mack bring up the mistral show? I'm assuming he didn't close with it. Maybe just threw it in quickly at the start.

Those of you  who would rather go watch golf than the team playing without the eyes can fuck right off and go watch golf.  My commitment is to the school, students and players. They are the ones that have the right to decide which traditions they value. 

Also if losing the eyes destroys your fandom than we're better off without you.

Alums also have the right to decide which traditions to value. The Eyes will be staying. Deal with it.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Alums also have the right to decide which traditions to value. The Eyes will be staying. Deal with it.

An Alum is not a current member of the school. Move on with your life.  Sing the song in your shower, in your living room etc but we as alums should not feel like we can dictate the culture on campus. If you want to do that then re-apply and go back to school.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Pasken said:

An Alum is not a current member of the school. Move on with your life.  Sing the song in your shower, in your living room etc but we as alums should not feel like we can dictate the culture on campus. If you want to do that then re-apply and go back to school.

No thank you.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

If students have to be coerced to participate, then the Eyes will not only fade away, but UT will continue to be humiliated in the national press, negatively recruited, and distracted by a wedge issue.

“I’ve been working on the railroad”’s days are numbered. Perhaps you’d be more at home in College Station, where traditions are more sacred.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 5

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

If students have to be coerced to participate, then the Eyes will not only fade away, but UT will continue to be humiliated in the national press, negatively recruited, and distracted by a wedge issue.

“I’ve been working on the railroad”’s days are numbered. Perhaps you’d be more at home in College Station, where traditions are more sacred.

No one is coerced to participate. No one is required to sing.  They are required to gather near fans as the Eyes are sung.

Everyone has free will and the Eyes being our school song is not a secret. If they do not like the Eyes, they can choose another school (which probably has worse skeletons in their closet).  It is staying.  Level 1.  You will see next week.

• Hook 'Em 5

I think it's pretty obvious that the song is staying in the near future. What I've seen a couple people here and some youngsters elsewhere say about the current student population's relative apathy about the issue makes me wonder if the song does indeed have an expiration date (two or three decades from now).

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think it's pretty obvious that the song is staying in the near future. What I've seen a couple people here and some youngsters elsewhere say about the current student population's relative apathy about the issue makes me wonder if the song does indeed have an expiration date (two or three decades from now).

Well since TARS has spoken...

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

College football itself has an expiration date.  More diverse student body that cares less about sports with ever passing year, fewer students attending games every year, high prices keeping families out so children not growing up with and becoming adult fans.  Not to mention CTE, amateur/pro status, and all that.

This sport will either be completely gone, or look vastly different, within the next two decades.

Sure hope we can grab a few more championships before then.

11 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

"But when we gather face to face, we naturally gravitate toward humility, empathy, and problem solving."  

ain't it the truth.  

As opposed to Surly keyboard pomposity, assholiness, and drunken frailty.    ain't it the truth.  

• Hook 'Em 1