Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I think it's pretty obvious that the song is staying in the near future. What I've seen a couple people here and some youngsters elsewhere say about the current student population's relative apathy about the issue makes me wonder if the song does indeed have an expiration date (two or three decades from now).

If student athletes continue to press the issue once a year or so, more like three to five years.

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If student athletes continue to press the issue once a year or so, more like three to five years.

Why would they?  The players are going to be winning and competing for national championships by Sark year 3.  Right or wrong, this crap is a fart in the whirlwind when Texas wins big.  I don't see any Alabama players worried about the Battle of Mobile Bay.  .  

13 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Why would they?  The players are going to be winning and competing for national championships by Sark year 3.  Right or wrong, this crap is a fart in the whirlwind when Texas wins big.  I don't see any Alabama players worried about the Battle of Mobile Bay.  .  

Because they can. And it will work.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Because they can. And it will work.

They can.  But what will work and why?  They piss off many big donors?  Fair enough.  Then with NIL, kids and their families start making a buttload of money.  Texas stays atop the schools that will make your lucky, athletic ass rich as a college freshman?   Yeah, I am sure Sark and Del Conte and everyone else are going to  be fighting big money donors over the Eyes.  Get a fucking grip.  

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

That motherfucking Farragut…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

They can.  But what will work and why?  They piss off many big donors?  Fair enough.  Then with NIL, kids and their families start making a buttload of money.  Texas stays atop the schools that will make your lucky, athletic ass rich as a college freshman?   Yeah, I am sure Sark and Del Conte and everyone else are going to  be fighting big money donors over the Eyes.  Get a fucking grip.  

The school is eventually going to retire the song. That's going to happen. When is anyone's guess.

6 hours ago, Pasken said:

An Alum is not a current member of the school. Move on with your life.  Sing the song in your shower, in your living room etc but we as alums should not feel like we can dictate the culture on campus. If you want to do that then re-apply and go back to school.

Nah fuck that, when those kids get to writing checks, or transferring their bloated blockchain wallets they can change the song to whatever Xanax rock, auto tuned all inclusive bullshit they want. Until then, they can go re-apply to reality and Wiki the golden rule. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just about every page on this thread has one or three posters opining that current students (some of whom may never even graduate) should be able to dictate which policies and traditions should live or die.  What “lived experiences” do students  - many of whom are still teenagers, children really - have that would give them the wisdom to abandon traditions and set policies for millions of former and future students? Being offended is not wisdom. College traditions are usually established by students, but the best only endure if they have an appeal that lasts into adulthood.

I have a feeling that most of the current students who would do away with The Eyes of Texas will grow to love and appreciate it, especially if they make a little effort to learn the history. Most of those who won’t probably aren’t the type who would maintain strong ties to UT after they graduate. They won’t have any reason to hear or sing it unless they’re at a wedding or watching Viva Las Vegas.

So, I say... fuck ‘em. 

• Hook 'Em 9

Just saw this on ESPN.  I said this when this whole ordeal first started.  It is only a matter of time before this song is replaced. People outside of the UT alumni bubble view the song as racist.  The majority of current students view the song as racist.  It doesn’t help when they show emails of our old white alumni basically threatening to pull donations and to tell the “blacks” to go elsewhere.

This whole thing is a giant shit stain on the face of the university.  I personally never thought the song was racist.  I educated myself about it.  I’m not black, so I’m not going to tell a young black student or athlete how to feel about being forced to sing it or being forced to stand and have old white people sing it to you.  Just replace the damn song before this thing keeps snowballing and a national news outlet features it.  It’s a damn song... who cares.  It’s also being used by every school to negative recruit athletes about coming here.  It may not matter to us alumni, but it could matter to a 17 year old kid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Just saw this on ESPN.  I said this when this whole ordeal first started.  It is only a matter of time before this song is replaced. People outside of the UT alumni bubble view the song as racist.  The majority of current students view the song as racist.  It doesn’t help when they show emails of our old white alumni basically threatening to pull donations and to tell the “blacks” to go elsewhere.

This whole thing is a giant shit stain on the face of the university.  I personally never thought the song was racist.  I educated myself about it.  I’m not black, so I’m not going to tell a young black student or athlete how to feel about being forced to sing it or being forced to stand and have old white people sing it to you.  Just replace the damn song before this thing keeps snowballing and a national news outlet features it.  It’s a damn song... who cares.  It’s also being used by every school to negative recruit athletes about coming here.  It may not matter to us alumni, but it could matter to a 17 year old kid. 

It has been and will continue to be a PR disaster for the school. 

8 minutes ago, maninblack said:

When was this determined?

Just based on my views from speaking to my younger siblings currently enrolled and my younger cousins currently enrolled.  

Lastly, I want to be clear.  I don’t think the song is racist in the present or that anyone that chooses to sings it is racist.  BUT... it is absolutely not a good look for this university because there are elements to the song or where it was first performed or where the lyrics stemmed from that can be tied to racism.  It makes us look really bad regardless.  Let’s just hope CNN or anyone else doesn’t show our black face minstrel shows and talk about how the song had ties to it and that our alumni are forcing our black students to sing it.  It’s heading in that direction and the ESPN segment did not paint us alumni very well... 

I sang the song at every game.  I never missed a football game and attended almost every basketball game.  I don’t really care about it but I know it may mean more to others.  This is going to get messy and I just don’t see how it’s not going to get changed or removed.  

Edited by victory88

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Just based on my views from speaking to my younger siblings currently enrolled and my younger cousins currently enrolled.  

Lastly, I want to be clear.  I don’t think the song is racist in the present or that anyone that chooses to sings it is racist.  BUT... it is absolutely not a good look for this university because there are elements to the song or where it was first performed or where the lyrics stemmed from that can be tied to racism.  It makes us look really bad regardless.  Let’s just hope CNN or anyone else doesn’t show our black face minstrel shows and talk about how the song had ties to it and that our alumni are forcing our black students to sing it.  It’s heading in that direction and the ESPN segment did not paint us alumni very well... 

I sang the song at every game.  I never missed a football game and attended almost every basketball game.  I don’t really care about it but I know it may mean more to others.  This is going to get messy and I just don’t see how it’s not going to get changed or removed.  

All it takes is a handful of prominent players to refuse to be anywhere on the field or court when the song is played after games and you have a situation that becomes untenable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

I sang the song at every game.  I never missed a football game and attended almost every basketball game.  I don’t really care about it but I know it may mean more to others.  This is going to get messy.  

As you get older you will realize how many opinions young people have and how little they matter because most of them are uninformed.    

People who are worried about hos this makes us "look" are weak people anyway.  Let them go cower in the corner.  I for one hope cnn shows more of this shit.  Those with nothing to hide are not afraid of a real conversation.  Bring it to the table and let's talk about the root of the issue the real problem and its not this damn song.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Those with nothing to hide are not afraid of a real conversation.  Bring it to the table and let's talk about the root of the issue the real problem and its not this damn song.  

One of the points Earl Campbell has made was he believes that there are a lot more important things folks could spend their time and energy on to combat racism than EOT -- he supports keeping the song.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

As you get older you will realize how many opinions young people have and how little they matter because most of them are uninformed.    

People who are worried about hos this makes us "look" are weak people anyway.  Let them go cower in the corner.  I for one hope cnn shows more of this shit.  Those with nothing to hide are not afraid of a real conversation.  Bring it to the table and let's talk about the root of the issue the real problem and its not this damn song.  

Remember when we all thought Penn State fans were crazy for not understanding how they were being perceived by outsiders for so strenuously defending Joe Paterno?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Recruits care. It's a big deal in the recruiting landscape, if you don't understand that then idk what to tell you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Unfortunately, I’m middle aged so I know about the stupid opinions of young people. I think you should step outside of the UT bubble and realize many people will say the song is racist regardless of age that are not tied to Texas.  I love how passionate our fan base is and this university really prides traditions which I love, like keeping our uniforms the same for the most part.  But I simply don’t see us on the winning end of this.  Sam was born with burnt orange and stood by the song.  What happens if our team leaders Bijan or in the future Malik Murphy sit out games in the future and this thing snow balls?  Hartzell is already putting out comments about our fan base not being racist because those emails only make us look bad.  This is from a small news paper and OTL show that few people watch.  When this hits bigger news networks or game day features it, just get ready for more embarrassment.  It’s going to get changed whether we like it or not.  And as racist as Alabama is, they aren’t in the news... we are.  It’s already being used in recruiting against us from these schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Recruits care. It's a big deal in the recruiting landscape, if you don't understand that then idk what to tell you. 

If the committee proves that the song’s lyrics and intent were in fact racist...then I’ll be all for getting rid of it. But I’m not for getting rid of it based on innuendo and hearsay. And if the best college football players in the country still don’t want to play at UT because of a song that was proven not to be racist (with facts)...then I don’t know what to say.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is a bad look. No positive spin at all. 

they aren't allowed to present positive facts. that is seen as racist. that is the world we are living in right now. reason, logic, and truth do not matter right now.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, CowtownHorn said:

If the committee proves that the song’s lyrics and intent were in fact racist...then I’ll be all for getting rid of it. But I’m not for getting rid of it based on innuendo and hearsay. And if the best college football players in the country still don’t want to play at UT because of a song that was proven not to be racist (with facts)...then I don’t know what to say.

The song's origin story is associated with the leader of an army fighting to keep black people enslaved.

That's not going away.

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

If you don't understand that Sark more than you or I know this to be true and that even before he got here he had the opportunity to say fuck the song or at least make the case how this would negatively impact the school and his very livelihood idk what to tell you.    

this thread should be taken out back and shot. Whine about current generation. Whine about players. Whine about the big bad media conspiracy against UT. Whine about posters you don’t like bc they have a differing opinion than yours. Whine about cancel culture. 

14 minutes ago, victory88 said:

....This is from a small news paper and OTL show that few people watch.  When this hits bigger news networks or game day features it, just get ready for more embarrassment.  It’s going to get changed whether we like it or not.  And as racist as Alabama is, they aren’t in the news... we are.  It’s already being used in recruiting against us from these schools. 

Embarassment?  Why?  I, we, should be embarassed because some dumb ass alum said racist shit.  Every group/community/institution has dumb ass people.  If i'm to be embarassed every time a few people in my community says or does dumb shit i'm fucked because Dumbass Dennison is a fellow alum.  I easily give no fucks what stupid say or do.  You can't fix stupid.  I can only control what i can control.  Hence i invite conversation and discussion.   Whether things change or not I cannot state with certainty.  Neither can you.  Current recruiting moment says otherwise.   

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Embarassment?  Why?  I, we, should be embarassed because some dumb ass alum said racist shit?  Every group/community/institution has dumb ass people.  If i'm to be embarassed every time a few people in my community says or does dumb shit i'm fucked because Dumbass Dennison is a fellow alum.  I easily give no fucks what stupid say or do.  You can't fix stupid.  I can only control what i can control.  Hence i invite conversation and discussion.   Whether things change or not I cannot state with certainty.  Neither can you.  Current recruiting moment says otherwise.   Just win.

20 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

If you don't understand that Sark more than you or I know this to be true and that even before he got here he had the opportunity to say fuck the song or at least make the case how this would negatively impact the school and his very livelihood idk what to tell you.    

Oh, because he knew the Texas Tribune and ESPN were going to run with it in the middle of significant recruiting battles? Like what the fuck is wrong with you. He made a decision based on the information available, which all signs pointed to this being blown over. Then our alumni tell the players they will black ball them from employment in the state. Threaten their lives and are on record being super fucking racist and you think that Sark knew all that was gonna go down during the 2022 campaign? Shut the fuck up. This is a huge deal and it may lose us some very big commits in year 1 with a class that is potentially top 5. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Embarassment?  Why?  I, we, should be embarassed because some dumb ass alum said racist shit.  Every group/community/institution has dumb ass people.  If i'm to be embarassed every time a few people in my community says or does dumb shit i'm fucked because Dumbass Dennison is a fellow alum.  I easily give no fucks what stupid say or do.  You can't fix stupid.  I can only control what i can control.  Hence i invite conversation and discussion.   Whether things change or not I cannot state with certainty.  Neither can you.  Current recruiting moment says otherwise.   

Yeah, you mean the momentum before ESPN and the Texas Tribune put our shit on blast? The momentum we had before 2 of the star players leading the movement for change said that people wanted bad things to happen to them and to just shut up and play? 

Yeah that momentum just got turbo fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/3/2021 at 11:07 PM, UncleSonny said:

Since this is a very cool and serious question, sure, there is an employee counseling center on campus. I hope any student uses the services if they are in crisis for any reason but honestly I don’t think it will be necessary for most. We had multiple student posters here say most current students don’t give a shit either way and the players have already made it clear they are cool with it as long as they aren’t required to sing. 

I have a serious question too. Is a group of white people telling a group of black people when they are allowed to be offended (and what by) a perfect example of white supremacy in action?

You do realize their are people of multiple ethnicities that don’t have a problem with singing the song  why only call out the white ones

• Drool 1

This latest bit of sensationalist bullshit stirred by that article will blow over next week after the report is released and the positive, all inclusive PR the university will launch. The EoT is staying. If you did a Venn diagram of current students offended by the song and students that have no pride or love for the 40 and UT athletics it would cover the same small group. They’re not going to be the alums that will donate, buy tickets or fill seats watching this football team. Fuck them.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

If students have to be coerced to participate, then the Eyes will not only fade away, but UT will continue to be humiliated in the national press, negatively recruited, and distracted by a wedge issue.

“I’ve been working on the railroad”’s days are numbered. Perhaps you’d be more at home in College Station, where traditions are more sacred.

(Some) BMDs 

image.gif.9b40735d1a50f0ac9092cd60c5a8277e.gif

11 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

Yeah, not sure this is ever an issue if you're winning and sending kids to the NFL at a high rate. 

Oh right, because recruiting has nothing to do with winning or sending kids to the NFL. Players just magically appear at the University to play football and you can take any 17-18 year old and just make them into an NFL caliber player. Good to know. 

The amount of stupidity, racial insensitivity and complete lack of awareness in this thread is pathetic. 

Whether it's racist or not isn't relevant anymore. It's a PR disaster and lots of damage control is happening, and now ESPN just ran with it. I'm not sure many of you follow recruiting, but we are going to other states and this is a big deal that a national media outlet just ran essentially a hit piece on the issue and the university. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

This latest bit of of sensationalist bullshit stirred by that article will blow over next week after the report is released and the positive, all inclusive PR the university will launch. The EoT is staying. If you did a Venn diagram of  current students offended by the song and students that have no pride or love for the 40 and UT athletics it would cover the same small group. They’re not going to be the alums that will donate, buy tickets or fill seats watching this football team. Fuck them.

This is a correct take from how it will shake out, the optics of this are pretty shit and that's more the issue than the song at this point. 

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

this thread should be taken out back and shot. Whine about current generation. Whine about players. Whine about the big bad media conspiracy against UT. Whine about posters you don’t like bc they have a differing opinion than yours. Whine about cancel culture. 

This might help some folks...

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1