Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

Oh right, because recruiting has nothing to do with winning or sending kids to the NFL. Players just magically appear at the University to play football and you can take any 17-18 year old and just make them into an NFL caliber player. Good to know. 

The amount of stupidity, racial insensitivity and complete lack of awareness in this thread is pathetic. 

Whether it's racist or not isn't relevant anymore. It's a PR disaster and lots of damage control is happening, and now ESPN just ran with it. I'm not sure many of you follow recruiting, but we are going to other states and this is a big deal that a national media outlet just ran essentially a hit piece on the issue and the university. 

Alabama seems to recruit just fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 3/4/2021 at 5:33 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

Racists fuck everything up.  Racists want the song.  So the song will likely be toast.  At this point it barely matters whether the song is racist or not.  Big cigars are great but when major sponsors decide they don’t want it, it’s gone.  Maybe the major sponsors stay out of it - but I doubt that.  

Here’s the real big swinging dicks:

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/29/sponsor_0729134007.aspx

Non racists want the song as well. 

41 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

You do realize their are people of multiple ethnicities that don’t have a problem with singing the song  why only call out the white ones

Maybe reread what I wrote. Slowly if you need to. I didn’t “call out” anyone who doesn’t have a problem with the song. 

Personally I don’t really have a problem with the song. 

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Keenan-2.gif

The current students because of COVID, social media and the rest of the shit stew they have been marinating in are probably the most isolated and detached set of students we have ever had because they were prevented from creating bonds that make college experience meaningful. Let’s get rid of one of the most powerful and beloved means we have to create community and positive memories. I hope with the report’s release the university puts a lot of focus on helping students forge a strong bond amongst themselves and the university as a whole after being subjected to an atomizing, isolated online school experience. Creating culture and love for the 40 is too important to give up. The Eyes is not just a song. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, immamac said:

Oh, because he knew the Texas Tribune and ESPN were going to run with it in the middle of significant recruiting battles? Like what the fuck is wrong with you. He made a decision based on the information available, which all signs pointed to this being blown over. Then our alumni tell the players they will black ball them from employment in the state. Threaten their lives and are on record being super fucking racist and you think that Sark knew all that was gonna go down during the 2022 campaign? Shut the fuck up. This is a huge deal and it may lose us some very big commits in year 1 with a class that is potentially top 5. 

You are arguing Sark didn't know it went national news story before last week or that OU or other school wouldnt bring it up in negative recruiting again? Who is being naive or calling coach naive?  Also you seem to be emotionally fragile by, of all things, the POSSIBLE opinions of SOME 17 year old athletes IF they believe dumb shit.  No I get it.  Lets just cancel shit because if we don't we "look" racist even though shit is not nor do you even believe it is.  That is how some of you roll and what you stand for? Got it.  By all means go ahead and conflate actual racists with those of us who aren't but stand for TEOT.  We are not talking Dixie or. Conf flags or conf statues. We are talking  influence of a phrase that possibly could be taken as racists by MORONS.  Something something traditions shall not be entrusted to the weak and timid...

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

It seems like what gets lost in this larger discussion is why they brought the story back up: asshole BMDs telling the players to “shut up and sing....or else”. As others have said repeatedly on here, it doesn’t matter what the song means to you or me or if we had never heard the song’s origin until very recently. If it means something different to the players and they don’t want to sing it, how is that even a question as to whether or not the school and BMDs will “allow” that to be the case? If the Eyes continues to be played, these BMDs can continue to sing it and think back longingly at all that is has meant to them over the years. However, why in the hell would they need each and every player to also do the same in order to fully enjoy that experience?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, mdleast said:

It seems like what gets lost in this larger discussion is why they brought the story back up: asshole BMDs telling the players to “shut up and sing....or else”. As others have said repeatedly on here, it doesn’t matter what the song means to you or me or if we had never heard the song’s origin until very recently. If it means something different to the players and they don’t want to sing it, how is that even a question as to whether or not the school and BMDs will “allow” that to be the case? If the Eyes continues to be played, these BMDs can continue to sing it and think back longingly at all that is has meant to them over the years. However, why in the hell would they need each and every player to also do the same in order to fully enjoy that experience?

So where do you draw the line? Because it seems there are a lot people in this country ready, willing, and able to be offended by anything if you tell them to. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

You are arguing Sark didn't know it went national news story before last week or that OU or other school wouldnt bring it up in negative recruiting again? Who is being naive or calling coach naive?  Also you seem to be emotionally fragile by, of all things, the POSSIBLE opinions of SOME 17 year old athletes IF they believe dumb shit.  No I get it.  Lets just cancel shit because if we don't we "look" racist even though shit is not nor do you even believe it is.  That is how some of you roll and what you stand for? Got it.  By all means go ahead and conflate actual racists with those of us who aren't but stand for TEOT.  We are not talking Dixie or. Conf flags or conf statues. We are talking  influence of a phrase that possibly could be taken as racists by MORONS.  Something something traditions shall not be entrusted to the weak and timid...

You might not be talking Dixie or Confederate flags or Confederate statues when you talk about the Eyes, but outside voices are most definitely connecting those dots. That's why this issue has become so toxic for the University. 

2 minutes ago, mdleast said:

It seems like what gets lost in this larger discussion is why they brought the story back up: asshole BMDs telling the players to “shut up and sing....or else”.

Yeah, this. This isn’t being brought back to the forefront because the people who oppose it have been ratcheting up the pressure. Has there been any movement or additional demands or change from that side since we last saw them standing on the field during the anthem like they were told at the end of the season?

The racist BMD emails are the only new thing yet people still rush to this thread to bang the drum about how wokeness and cancel culture are ruining society like our players are currently going on hunger strike and picketing houses over the EOT. 

So where do you draw the line? Because it seems there are a lot people in this country ready, willing, and able to be offended by anything if you tell them to. 

The thing here is the story was about BMDs being offended that all players weren’t singing. So it’s kind of the reverse of your point: BMDs saying “that song doesn’t mean anything negative to me, therefore you shouldn’t/can’t think it’s in any way negative”. A reverse snowflake if you will. If you’re point is we shouldn’t “cancel”certain things just because some people may be offended by them then you need to be consistent and concede that we also shouldn’t force them to have to engage in the practice if they don’t agree with it (all the while you are still free to keep singing it).

Basically, my argument distills down to this: fuck off BMDs trying to force players to have the exact same opinions as you.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You might not be talking Dixie or Confederate flags or Confederate statues when you talk about the Eyes, but outside voices are most definitely connecting those dots. That's why this issue has become so toxic for the University. 

So why don't you use your voice for something positive, regarding the university, for once to those outside voices that they are being hoodwinked and bamboozled by an ignorant agenda based upon weak inference and actual racists that 98% of the University abhor.  

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

Alabama seems to recruit just fine. 

Alabama doesn't have ESPN putting their shit on blast last I checked ESPN sucks their dick as the destination to go if you are recruit. Same with Fox sports.

This isn't about the song anymore (not racist) it's about boosters and the school channeling their racism through the song and literally attacking the players. It's a fucking toxic atmosphere and one that doesn't exist at Clemson or Alabama or Ohio State.

1 minute ago, mdleast said:

The thing here is the story was about BMDs being offended that all players weren’t singing. So it’s kind of the reverse of your point: BMDs saying “that song doesn’t mean anything negative to me, therefore you shouldn’t/can’t think it’s in any way negative”. A reverse snowflake if you will. If you’re point is we shouldn’t “cancel”certain things just because some people may be offended by them then you need to be consistent and concede that we also shouldn’t force them to have to engage in the practice if they don’t agree with it (all the while you are still free to keep singing it).

Basically, my argument distills down to this: fuck off BMDs trying to force players to have the exact same opinions as you.

I could get on board with that if I didn't feel so strongly this is manufactured outrage. But I realize some people don't see the world through the same lens as me. It all just seems silly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, RollLeft said:

So why don't you use your voice for something positive, regarding the university, for once to those outside voices that they are being hoodwinked and bamboozled by an ignorant agenda based upon weak inference and actual racists that 98% of the University abhor.  

You aren't looking at this from the correct lens, you aren't wrong and that's what makes this such a frustrating issue. 

The song isn't racist, may be slightly racist in origin, but doesn't represent oppression or whatever people are attributing to it. 

There are racists (in this thread even) who took this song and made it about being racist and making it about shut up and sing or, or, or.

Now instead of the national story being "Texas is working with the players on how to address issues of social injustice and possible racist roots of the song" the narrative has completely taken on a life of it's own because Texas BMD's got fucking exposed for being racist pieces of shit. Then once the narrative wasn't controlled by the university the players chimed in and substantiated it further in damning fashion. THEN ESPN (whether you like them or not) picked it up and ran with it, sandwiched between a bunch of race related issues and les miles being a fucking pervert at LSU and getting put on administrative leave at Kansas.

The narrative can't be contained by the university anymore it's getting run with and it's a PR nightmare/doomsday scenario.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mdleast said:

It seems like what gets lost in this larger discussion is why they brought the story back up: asshole BMDs telling the players to “shut up and sing....or else”.

It was brought up again because people that wanted to push their agenda had some ammunition. In reality though they only had a few rounds that aren't all that powerful.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Personally, I don't think the material inference is weak. I think William Prather, like many W&L grads, thought very highly of Robert E. Lee. It seems extremely likely that Robert E. Lee was the inspiration behind Prather telling UT students, "The eyes of Texas are upon you." The association with Robert E. Lee, through Prather, is real. Throw in minstrel shows and black face and you have a toxic brew that will become more difficult for the University to spin as time goes on.

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

You aren't looking at this from the correct lens, you aren't wrong and that's what makes this such a frustrating issue. 

The song isn't racist, may be slightly racist in origin, but doesn't represent oppression or whatever people are attributing to it. 

There are racists (in this thread even) who took this song and made it about being racist and making it about shut up and sing or, or, or.

Now instead of the national story being "Texas is working with the players on how to address issues of social injustice and possible racist roots of the song" the narrative has completely taken on a life of it's own because Texas BMD's got fucking exposed for being racist pieces of shit. Then once the narrative wasn't controlled by the university the players chimed in and substantiated it further in damning fashion. THEN ESPN (whether you like them or not) picked it up and ran with it, sandwiched between a bunch of race related issues and les miles being a fucking pervert at LSU and getting put on administrative leave at Kansas.

The narrative can't be contained by the university anymore it's getting run with and it's a PR nightmare/doomsday scenario.

Simple. Counter PR with PR.

18 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

If students have to be coerced to participate, then the Eyes will not only fade away, but UT will continue to be humiliated in the national press, negatively recruited, and distracted by a wedge issue.

“I’ve been working on the railroad”’s days are numbered. Perhaps you’d be more at home in College Station, where traditions are more sacred.

We really won’t. If Sarkisian is successful and wins all this goes away, that’s the bottom line. Just as the Sul Ross shit went away at A&M which should be a bigger deal than the school song here. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

It was brought up again because people that wanted to push their agenda had some ammunition. In reality though they only had a few rounds that aren't all that powerful.

Then how bout you and I and all come out strongly and uniformly against the racist assholes that provided said ammunition? I don’t care about the BMDs who want the song played. My problem is obviously with the BMDs with the position that players should shut and sing or suffer consequences and obviously the one backwards ass fuck emailing about “the blacks”
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah, this. This isn’t being brought back to the forefront because the people who oppose it have been ratcheting up the pressure. Has there been any movement or additional demands or change from that side since we last saw them standing on the field during the anthem like they were told at the end of the season?

The racist BMD emails are the only new thing yet people still rush to this thread to bang the drum about how wokeness and cancel culture are ruining society like our players are currently going on hunger strike and picketing houses over the EOT. 

Did a BMD send a racist email?  Can you please link it?  The only BMD in the Tribune article was Rowling and nothing he said was anywhere close to racist.  

The medium level donor who had given a million said nothing racist either.  

You think exactly what the author of that article intended — that Texas big money donors sent a bunch of racist emails.  That is not what happened.  

I saw one racist email.  And have no idea who sent it.  

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Then how bout you and I and all come out strongly and uniformly against the racist assholes that provided said ammunition? I don’t care about the BMDs who want the song played. My problem is obviously with the BMDs with the position that players should shut and sing or suffer consequences and obviously the one backwards ass fuck emailing about “the blacks”

I agree with this. Have they released who the donors were that sent those emails? They need to be dealt with, shamed, and embarrassed. I’m sure there were a few sent by people like this masquerading as UT alumni.

image.gif.4cf6556c411d11d7814f77dad811e6c0.gif

0BC7104C-0E91-4A10-89E3-1F182A8CE2F9.jpeg

Edited by CowtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, immamac said:

Alabama doesn't have ESPN putting their shit on blast last I checked ESPN sucks their dick as the destination to go if you are recruit. Same with Fox sports.

This isn't about the song anymore (not racist) it's about boosters and the school channeling their racism through the song and literally attacking the players. It's a fucking toxic atmosphere and one that doesn't exist at Clemson or Alabama or Ohio State.

Because they win :)

On 3/4/2021 at 3:58 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah.  I absolutely believe that someone--very likely Tom Herman--told Overshown and others that.  It is so completely on-brand for Tom Herman and this athletic department that I have a hard understanding why one wouldn't believe that.

I think we may disagree with the number of people.

But regardless, I think you and I agree that there are some people.  And so the question remains--are you going to raise your horns and sing along when you know that some people around you are going to think that you're singing along to a racist song?

Maybe you will.  Maybe you're one of those guys who's all like "I don't give a shit what other people think; I'm going to wear my burnt orange skinny jeans and there's not a fucking thing you can do about it."

But a lot of people aren't like that.  A lot of people care what other people think, and don't want to be perceived as singing along to a racist song.

So you may be right.  It may be that the actual number who think the song is racist is "very small."  I don't think I agree, but it doesn't matter.  The real question is how many people are going to forego singing The Eyes because of what they think other people think about it?

I don't know the answer to that question.  But I will tell you that I think the trendline is heading in the wrong direction.

If I’m lucky enough to get to go to a game I will most definitely sing the song and have my horns raised high. If that means I’m a racist in someone else’s eyes then that’s on them. I’m quite secure in who I am. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Did a BMD send a racist email?  Can you please link it?  The only BMD in the Tribune article was Rowling and nothing he said was anywhere close to racist.  

This is fair and I’m not trying to get into a semantics argument about what a BMD is. I should have just said “donors” or “alumni”. I was pushing back on anyone blaming the opponents of the EOT for this week and not the assholes who sent the emails.

I guess you can blame the media, but eh. They are kind of just doing their job and as much as I hate that it was published the piece was probably newsworthy. You can sure believe posters here would have found it newsworthy if it were emails from aggy alumni defending their statue. 

32 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Sure no problem. Let's see the names.

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Maybe reread what I wrote. Slowly if you need to. I didn’t “call out” anyone who doesn’t have a problem with the song. 

I read this slowly 

I have a serious question too. Is a group of whitepeople telling a group of black people when they are allowed to be offended (and what by) a perfect example of white supremacy in action?

you are only asking about white people, I have seen fans of all ethnicities show support for singing the song. You didn’t ask about them, you only asked about the white people. 

I read this slowly 

I have a serious question too. Is a group of whitepeople telling a group of black people when they are allowed to be offended (and what by) a perfect example of white supremacy in action?

you are only asking about white people, I have seen fans of all ethnicities show support for singing the song. You didn’t ask about them, you only asked about the white people. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Thanks. Never heard of any of them. If the song is proven to be racist by the committee, I wouldn’t be surprised if many of those that sent those emails change their tune. If not, they’re not the kind of fans I want to associate with. 

25 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

Nope, maybe give it another pass. Or I can try and clear it up for you but I’m not sure how to be more clear. 

I didn’t say one word about a person’s or group’s support for the EOT. I’ve seen black alumni express support for the song and I appreciate their perspective. The question asks what is means when a group of white people think they have the moral authority to control what a different race is offended by. 

• Hook 'Em 1

BINGO.

TT is responsible for re-opening this wound, imo. i don't think the shitty emails from alums were sent recently...i mean, i don't know for sure but based on the content and vitriol i assumed they were emails from last fall, at the height of the controversy, probably many sent immediately after ou game.

TT did a FOIA request, got the emails and then proceeded to dredge the issue back up.

i have always found TT to be very fair and objective... but admittedly this does feel like a coordinated hit on UT...especially since they haven't done a similar stories about aggy, whose opinionated alumni had actual physical confrontations with their students. very odd.

UT definitely being held to a different standard. wait...guess that's not that odd lol.

• Hook 'Em 2

The current students because of COVID, social media and the rest of the shit stew they have been marinating in are probably the most isolated and detached set of students we have ever had because they were prevented from creating bonds that make college experience meaningful. Let’s get rid of one of the most powerful and beloved means we have to create community and positive memories. I hope with the report’s release the university puts a lot of focus on helping students forge a strong bond amongst themselves and the university as a whole after being subjected to an atomizing, isolated online school experience. Creating culture and love for the 40 is too important to give up. The Eyes is not just a song. 

The ship has sailed I think. Students fuel all of these traditions. The Eyes will only stay if the students genuinely want to keep it. No report will change that. Or maybe there is a real engagement strategy. Who knows.

I love the tradition myself, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s some silly lyrics to the tune of “Imma workin’ on the railroad.”

The ship has sailed I think. Students fuel all of these traditions. The Eyes will only stay if the students genuinely want to keep it. No report will change that. Or maybe there is a real engagement strategy. Who knows.

I love the tradition myself, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s some silly lyrics to the tune of “Imma workin’ on the railroad.”

Spoiler

Quan Cosby was on the field that magical night in January 2006 after Texas beat USC to win the national championship. He proudly sang “The Eyes of Texas,” as did thousands of UT fans in the Rose Bowl.

For the past three months, the Texas ex has been serving on a 24-person committee researching the school song’s origins to determine whether "The Eyes" is racist. Should the university ditch the century-old song or not? 

The committee’s final report will be released Tuesday. The American-Statesman has learned the university will release the 95-page document, featuring 169 footnotes detailing the report’s sourced material. People can decide with their own eyes.

School administrators have already said “The Eyes” is staying. Asked how the report will be received, Cosby said, “Nationally, I have no idea.” As for former teammates and other UT athletes, “They want to know the truth.”

“Some of their questions about the narrative that was going was, ‘Man, why didn’t they tell us this while we were at school? Why would they have us sing this song? Why did they teach us this tradition?’ ” Cosby said. 

“And so I followed up and our conversation was, ‘Hey, we’re about to learn. There was a committee formed. Let’s figure this piece of it out. And let’s hold judgment until we learn the truth.’ Facts — specifically to Longhorn Nation — I feel like will matter.”

The Statesman was not allowed to see the report but did speak to committee members as its release neared. The report will challenge the established narrative that’s divided fans, students and alumni.

For example, it’s widely believed that the phrase “The Eyes of Texas are upon you” is a spin on an old phrase coined by Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee after he became a university president in the 1860s.

“We cannot find evidence of that,” said Dr. Richard Reddick, the committee chairman and associate dean in the UT College of Education. 

“Bill Brands, our historian on our committee, contacted Washington and Lee University, and said, ‘Can you please share with us any documentation you have about “The Eyes of the South Are Upon You?” ’ ” Reddick said. “They couldn't find it at Washington and Lee University, where Robert E. Lee was president.”

As best the committee could research, that tidbit was traced back to a UT historical document published in the 1930s. Whether right or wrong, it was adopted as fact over the years and even used in UT’s documentation about “The Eyes” decades later.

“Bill Brands, our historian on our committee, contacted Washington and Lee University, and said, ‘Can you please share with us any documentation you have about “The Eyes of the South Are Upon You?” ’ ” Reddick said. “They couldn't find it at Washington and Lee University, where Robert E. Lee was president.”

As best the committee could research, that tidbit was traced back to a UT historical document published in the 1930s. Whether right or wrong, it was adopted as fact over the years and even used in UT’s documentation about “The Eyes” decades later.

For some, the connection to Lee is an automatic disqualifier. It’s become widely used as the first bullet point in an argument to dump the song. Once the issue gained traction last fall, football players refused to stand for the traditional postgame singing of “The Eyes.” Longhorn Band members refused to play it as well. 

The issue triggered a massive public relations disaster for the university. The Statesman received 130 pages of emails in November through open records requests that described fan anger over the issue. The majority of the emails sent to UT President Jay Hartzell expressed support for keeping the song and threatened to withhold donations if there was any change.

The issue came storming back to the forefront last week after The Texas Tribune published another batch of emails from alumni threatening to pull their financial support. 

Around the nation, the story was perceived as wealthy UT donors giving the school marching orders. But a UT source told the Statesman that one email author had a lifetime giving total of $50. 

In a group interview Friday with the Statesman, several committee members expressed pride in their exhaustive work. Committee members leaned on the staff at UT's renowned  Dolph Briscoe Center for American History. At the group’s first virtual meeting, dozens of documents were already loaded onto cloud storage files.

Don Carleton, executive director of the Briscoe Center, said he’s been involved with other projects that “couldn't hold a candle to the thoroughness of this.”

“The thing is, we’re going to have the evidence available for everyone,” Carleton said. “We will have it online. It’s an amazing archive of material.”

As a historian, Carleton calls himself a “professional skeptic.” Still, Texas officials are braced for the idea that some people won’t believe whatever facts are published.

“They don't have to take our word for it,” Carleton said. “We can’t make people think any way, any particular kind of direction. But we can at least provide the evidence and let them understand why we produced the report that we did.”

Graduating senior Kyanna Richard, a tuba player in the Longhorn Band, served on the committee. “Going in, I was absolutely terrified,” she said. “I quickly got over that.”

“We’re hearing all of the things that people are saying on social media, but obviously, you have to clear that out of your mind because it’s not all true,” Richard said. “It’s not backed by any sources.”

Richard said there are 13 members of the Longhorn Band who identify as Black or African American. She acknowledged that “the culture of the LHB right now is very divisive.” UT administrators eventually had to suspend the band for the entire football season because the issue caused such an uproar. School officials played taped music, including “The Eyes,” during football and basketball games.

“As soon as we get this report, I know we are set to go over it and really digest this information and acknowledge, accept and do what we have to do on a personal level,” Richard said.

Richard said she went in with a “super open mind.” Reddick started the proceedings with an anonymous survey. What did committee members think of the song? Was it racist? From there, the members found they could have dialogue in a safe environment for open expression.

“I did go in there with a little worry. Holy crap, what are we going to find out?” Cosby said. “It was dialogue. It was tough conversations. But unbelievably, I grew through going through this committee on how to go through tough situations. It actually reminded me of training camp. We have fights at camp. But it’s growth. There’s a level of respect you gain in that tough process.”

Ultimately, that’s what a university campus is supposed to be — a place for tough, fair, open and honest thought. Protest and expression are daily campus features around the UT Tower. Higher education is about opening one’s mind to new ideas.

Controversy about “The Eyes” has been drawn down political battle lines, though. Instead of an issue about a song, UT is now facing demands not to give in to “cancel culture.” Or school officials must stand up for the Black Lives Matter movement and ignore the wishes of thousands of alumni.

Hartzell has taken criticism for even forming this committee in November to do expansive research.

“When people heard a committee, their eyes rolled,” Reddick said. “You could hear the sound of collective eyes rolling across the world.”

The committee’s report is expected to become the definitive piece on the issue, serving as a permanent historical and teaching document. 

“It’s more about getting the facts out there and making sure people can at least move forward in hard conversations with a common set of facts,” Hartzell said. “There was never an ask for a judgement to be passed.”

All Texas fans can decide on their own come Tuesday.

• Hook 'Em 7

Fact: There is no evidence that Robert E. Lee said, "The eyes of the south are upon you," while he was president of Washington College.

Fact: The University of Texas maintains that William Prather attributed, "The eyes of Texas are upon you," to Robert E. Lee.

Both of these things are true.

Sounds like the report is going to be favorable towards those who want to keep the song, which means the other side will scream conspiracy and say “Of course it’s favorable towards the school since they are the ones who wanted the committee!!!”

Everyone already has their mind made up and nothing will change that.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2