Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

Just now, David Dennison said:

Good lord, dude, this is a good compromise for both sides.

The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the livelong day.
You cannot get away.
Do not think you can escape them
At night or early in the morn --
The Eyes of Texas are upon you
Til Gabriel blows his horn.

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

Brian could have clarified point #3 a little better (from the report)...

“The surviving contemporary accounts don’t allow a direct, definitive answer. Neither the printed program for the show nor reviews afterward identified cast members as specifically wearing blackface or not. No photographs from the show have been found.”

Fucking asshat misquotes a report about facts. The tone of all his coverage has been for getting rid of EOT so not shocking the misquote fits his agenda.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Hey still waiting for evidence the song is directly tied to Robert E Lee as you suggest....any factual evidence would be greatly appreciated. 

The only connection that ever existed was William Prather went to Washington College and T.U. Taylor's biography. If the University now claims Taylor's biography was flawed or poorly sourced, so be it. I have no problem with that, although I do find it funny that the connection was on the University's website as recently as this week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It probably was sung in blackface given the era.  It was not written with minstrely lyrics ridiculing black dialect like "Shortenin' Bread". I think both are true.

Minstrel shows were the entertainment of the day up until tv and radio became common.  So if you want to ban songs sung at minstrel shows, that means you probably have to cancel every song written before 1930.

If they had any consistent logic they'd be advocating for the abolishment of the university since the minstrel show itself was university sanctioned. Burn your diplomas idiots.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It probably was sung in blackface given the era.  It was not written with minstrely lyrics ridiculing black dialect like "Shortenin' Bread". I think both are true.

Minstrel shows were the entertainment of the day up until tv and radio became common.  So if you want to ban songs sung at minstrel shows, that means you probably have to cancel every song written before 1930.

True. However, the report did state there is no clear proof.

“The surviving contemporary accounts don’t allow a direct, definitive answer. Neither the printed program for the show nor reviews afterward identified cast members as specifically wearing blackface or not. No photographs from the show have been found.”

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The only connection that ever existed was William Prather went to Washington College and T.U. Taylor's biography. If the University now claims Taylor's biography was flawed or poorly sourced, so be it. I have no problem with that, although I do find it funny that the connection was on the University's website as recently as this week.

image.thumb.png.42ff9bf993348e99153cf01c7a6db394.png

Yeah ok, buddy.

19 minutes ago, elguapo said:

It's funny seeing grown men in here spiking the football over a silly little song, but whatever.

I don't think this dumb controversy is going away yet unfortunately, a significant segment of the fanbase seems to have convinced themselves that the song has racist origins and I don't see this report changing most of their minds.

can't help people who bury their head in the sand when facts slap them upside the face. it's exactly what most of us have been saying. it was performed at a minstrel show as have been countless song not considered racist but the song itself was not racist. those are the facts so fact deniers can be upset all they want but the song isn't racist. this report and hopefully the marketing around it will change some of their minds. that committee couldn't be anymore diverse BTW.

• Like 1

For the individuals that choose to ignore the facts from this report and still believe the song is racist, they have options. They don't have to sing it for one. They don't even have to attend sporting events or graduation. Prospective students can choose not to attend. They can attend another school after they cross us off their list. This happens all the time, UT gets crossed of the list for a multitude of reasons. We are not hurting for applicants and we never will being the flagship of this great state. Current students can transfer to another school without racist ties, and good luck with that. And, thanks to the transfer portal, current players can leave as well. This isn't being forced down anyone's throat. This is our song and this is what we play here.  

This is a win-win-win. Had the song been removed, the vast majority would have lost, and the woke would quickly move on to something else to cancel. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I agree.  The report said no clear proof.  They investigated it.  Based on circumstantial evidence they think it was more likely than not sung in blackface.  But it was not written minstrely in exaggerated ridiculous black dialect to ridicule blacks.  And anyone who can read could have told you that 8 months ago.

This analogy is borrowed from a friend of mine who I went to law school with as a TLDR summary of the report:

Lasagna can’t be tied to Nazism, even though some Italian Nazis may have eaten it (though, no proof exists). The rumor that lasagna was created by Hitler was not based on any factual evidence. The campus cafeterias will continue to still serve lasagna, but students won’t be forced to eat it.

DD: "Of course this is now settled for both sides because now students won't be forced to eat the lasagna like before." (Narrator: "The students were never force fed lasagna.")

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, texashorne said:

For the individuals that choose to ignore the facts from this report and still believe the song is racist, they have options. They don't have to sing it for one. They don't even have to attend sporting events or graduation. Prospective students can choose not to attend. They can attend another school after they cross us off their list. This happens all the time, UT gets crossed of the list for a multitude of reasons. We are not hurting for applicants and we never will being the flagship of this great state. Current students can transfer to another school without racist ties, and good luck with that. And, thanks to the transfer portal, current players can leave as well. This isn't being forced down anyone's throat. This is our song and this is what we play here.  

This is a win-win-win. Had the song been removed, the vast majority would have lost, and the woke would quickly move on to something else to cancel. 

The student-athletes not only don't have to sing the song, they don't have to stick around for it if they choose not to.

That's a big deal.

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I agree.  The report said no clear proof.  They investigated it.  Based on circumstantial evidence they think it was more likely than not sung in blackface.  But it was not written minstrely in exaggerated ridiculous black dialect to ridicule blacks.  And anyone who can read could have told you that 8 months ago.

This analogy is borrowed from a friend of mine who I went to law school with as a TLDR summary of the report:

Lasagna can’t be tied to Nazism, even though some Italian Nazis may have eaten it (though, no proof exists). The rumor that lasagna was created by Hitler was not based on any factual evidence. The campus cafeterias will continue to still serve lasagna, but students won’t be forced to eat it.

Whew... My wife and I love to make and eat lasagna. Thank God.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The student-athletes not only don't have to sing the song, they don't have to stick around for it if they choose not to.

That's a big deal.

Nice goal post movement brother. Your Robert E Lee and the song will go away didn't last so now you moved onto this dog shit argument now. 

All the livelong day.
You cannot get away.
Do not think you can escape them
At night or early in the morn --
The Eyes of Texas are upon you
Til Gabriel blows his horn.

From President Hartzell's email:

Another aspect of my decision leans on the concept of free speech. For this reason, let me be very clear: As always, no one is or will be required to sing “The Eyes of Texas.”

In other words, as in the past and into the future, no one is required to sing. @David Dennison wrong again!

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That's a big deal.

why wouldn’t they stick around for their alma mater?  no good reason not to. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Dear Longhorns,
Everything we do at UT Austin comes back to three things: research, teaching and changing the world. Our work around “The Eyes of Texas” is no different. In particular, the work of the history committee focused on research. Next, we will focus on teaching and changing the world. In part, that means continuing to foster an inclusive campus where all Longhorns belong and are welcome.

I want to thank every member of The Eyes of Texas History Committee, which has now released its report, for approaching this task with open minds, conducting their work with academic rigor, seeking the truth, and braving many difficult topics. Not only have they created a piece of interdisciplinary research that will benefit future generations, they have modeled an approach to a complex and emotional issue that we can replicate across campus — indeed, across society. This model is vital because we’re not moving on from this — we’re moving forward … together.

One of the ways we’re moving forward is through the committee’s excellent set of recommendations. We can enact many of them, and a few really spoke to me — for example, leveraging alumni to build a more robust mentoring network, creating history exhibits and teaching modules, and working with the Texas Exes to establish scholarships that encourage a more diverse Longhorn Band. These ideas, along with those we committed to during the summer, show how our goal of creating a welcoming campus goes far beyond discussions of our alma mater.

At the same time, I understand our conversations around the song will continue. Thanks to the committee, we move forward in those discussions equipped with a common set of facts. It’s now very clear to me, having read the report, that the history of our alma mater is complicated — more complicated than perhaps any of us knew. As the report’s executive summary points out, the story of “The Eyes” mirrors the greater history of this university, indeed that of our state and nation. Parts of that history are inspiring and surprising. Other parts are disappointing, even painful.

One aspect of my decision to keep “The Eyes of Texas” as our school song leans on this concept of mirroring. There is much we would like to change about American history. But while the American story is imperfect, I believe it is positive overall, even as we need to continue to teach and learn from the imperfections. Embracing the past means embracing both the tragedy and triumphs of our history — confessing the former and celebrating the latter.

Another aspect of my decision leans on the concept of free speech. For this reason, let me be very clear: As always, no one is or will be required to sing “The Eyes of Texas.” As Professor Rich Reddick, our committee chair, has said, “Traditions do not endure through disrespect, coercion, or threat.” I wholeheartedly agree — and in the same spirit of free speech, no one should shout down those who wish to continue in the tradition of singing. My hope is that we can sing it together, mindful of our university’s past and proud of the progress we’ve made since the 19th century.

The report makes it clear to me that “The Eyes of Texas” is a song of accountability that has been used to bring Longhorns closer together. I truly believe “The Eyes of Texas” can again be a force for accountability and unity among our students, faculty, staff and alumni. We need only look at the past for evidence. Our song started out as a request for students to do the right things at all times to protect a fledgling university from risking its future. Over time, it was sung by an increasingly diverse community of students and scholars, becoming a rallying cry for excellence as our university matured and grew into the true flagship of our state.

Finally, on some special occasions, the song was used to fight injustice. For example, Texas suffragists deployed the song in defense of voting rights during the 1910s. In another example, students sang it during the 1940s at the Texas Capitol in defense of academic freedom and educational opportunities for Black students in our state. In those special moments Longhorns flipped the script. The eyes of Texas were no longer upon them. Instead, they became the eyes of Texas, fixing their gaze on some of society’s most pressing problems and controversies.

I hope we can recover more fully this part of the song’s legacy. I would love to see “The Eyes” become one of our rallying cries as we hold ourselves and others accountable, fostering a welcoming campus and seeking a more just world. How do we do that? What do we set our eyes upon?

We will find the answer together. And it will come back to those three things I mentioned earlier: research, teaching and changing the world. Because that is what we do here — all the livelong day.

Hook 'em,
Jay Hartzell
President
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I'd be happy if Hartzell had a line in his message that if there are donors who don't like the players not being forced to sign the song then they can get fucked. 

Oh so now it's the hearing impaired huh?

Next thing you'll be saying is they should have their own schools!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'd be happy if Hartzell had a line in his message that if there are donors who don't like the players not being forced to sign the song then they can get fucked. 

I am sure the handful of donors who said that contribute hundreds of dollars per year.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Is there any evidence that this song isn't connected to Rob E Lee?  I'll hang up and listen.

Is this a joke? How could their possibly be evidence of a lack of connection? 

Edited by B00M
Ok, it was a joke. Y'all mother fuckers need Dennison on ignore. That dumb fuck was the 1st on my list years ago.

1 hour ago, CowtownHorn said:

Brian could have clarified point #3 a little better (from the report)...

“The surviving contemporary accounts don’t allow a direct, definitive answer. Neither the printed program for the show nor reviews afterward identified cast members as specifically wearing blackface or not. No photographs from the show have been found.”

From my 1963 Cactus - Roundup Weekend:

image.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1