Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

Dorothy clicked her heels in Wizard Of Oz.  
Know who else clicked their heels?  NAZIS!!!!
Cancel her and her little dog Toto too!  While at it, cancel the band Toto!  Rains in Africa?  Sheeeeeit.  Promoting the mass drowning of brown people?  Monsters!
I'm sure Kevin bacon is connected to this somehow..

But havent seen him in a while, guess he's already been cancelled
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Why is this still going on? 

UT says no racist intent in creation Of song 

UT says players and students can make their own choice to participate or not (perfect compromise) 

UT says racist emails from donors aren’t cool and don’t represent UT

End of thread. But hold on, let’s tell players to fuck off and transfer first! 

It is interesting that you would complain about the continued participation of a thread that in hindsight (and I would argue in real time) you metaphorically smeared feces all over yourself and the mirror discussing the nuances of racial tensions at the university. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Call it whatever you want, but the University of Texas was (and still is) publishing information that it now disavows.

Can you let them have at least a day or two to begin after receiving the report to begin the process of updating that various websites, or do you think this is so critical to the continued existence of the university they need to drop everything and immediately update the websites?

If you think updating the websites is absolutely critical, I’m sure your writing a big enough check to the university to cover the costs will certainly speed up the process. 

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Jesus, some of y'all almost make me wish every Black player on the roster would hit the portal just to shut you fucks up. But of course you wouldn't -- we'd get the "Well, Bye" meme a thousand times and a California-sized vineyard of sour grapes. But hey, at least the whole all white team would be out there singing with you after all those victories, right? 

you don't need to wish it.  make it happen big guy.  tell them to do it.  guess what, they won't.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you don't need to wish it.  make it happen big guy.  tell them to do it.  guess what, they won't.

I'll probably get negged into bolivian for this but I'm not running for Mr. Popular. I've never been much of a conformist, anyway. I think you're probably right. However, if a significant number of players did what maybeacoordinator describes, I suspect a significant number of college football fans would heave a sigh and care a lot less about college football. A lot of football fans - college and pro - have had enough of politics and "virtue signaling" from players, teams, and leagues. Sports is an escape. Athletes are entertainers. We don't expect or want wisdom, great philosophy, or political statements from athletes, coaches, or detached billionaire owners. Most pro and college athletes and coaches live in a bit of a bubble. Most of them may not think those activities will increase fan apathy but I'm pretty sure they will to some extent.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I hate everything about this mess. I hold the Eyes near and dear. The same goes for the truth, and the truth is, the song originated in an ugly environment, even if the song itself is not malicious. That said, I hate that people have trouble divorcing relics from the context of their times, too. And I really hate the potential this still has to divide the team and the alumni.

What I don't hate is that Terrapin Tom is gone, we've got a real pro on the sidelines, and things are looking up on the field. I truly believe winning is the best disinfectant. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

I hate everything about this mess. I hold the Eyes near and dear. The same goes for the truth, and the truth is, the song originated in an ugly environment, even if the song itself is not malicious. That said, I hate that people have trouble divorcing relics from the context of their times, too. And I really hate the potential this still has to divide the team and the alumni.

What I don't hate is that Terrapin Tom is gone, we've got a real pro on the sidelines, and things are looking up on the field. I truly believe winning is the best disinfectant. 

well it didn't need to but whatever.   you can find racial issues(of any color) anywhere if you decide you are really going to look hard enough.  these days some people like the thought of protest and the activity more than really sacrificing something significant for that protest.  

I wouldn't agree with Ali but damn if he doesn't get my respect(not that he needs it or would care about it)

we can agree that winning is a very good disinfectant and Herman needed to go.  will be good to have some fun times in the stands at DKR again and sing the Eyes at the end.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Meh. Fuck tom. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

7 hours ago, immamac said:

Why is this thread still a thing?   The decision is final and the effects will be the effects. What are you idiots babbling on about?

I'm close to just locking this thread up 

FIN

Lock it up... 🤘

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1