Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

26 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Do you think people are getting scholarships to be in band? There's about 30 scholarships totally that the band awards, and they're mainly alumni funded $1k-2k awards. And that's it. 

Everyone else pays full tuition, some extra fees to cover LHB costs, and sacrifice at least 12 hours a week during football season. I'd say they've earned their opinion on what the band should do. 

It's a shame that so many so-called horns fans want to kill LHB just because it's members want to do what they think is right. 

If the band members do not share a common culture with the alumni and supporters of The University, there is no fault in the alumni and supporters wishing the band well in their endeavors and distancing themselves from the band. 

Why is it a shame that two disparate groups with different cultures go their separate ways? These things happen. 

• "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

Band members are very much entitled to their opinions. No one is denying them that freedom. The debate is whether one group of people should be unwillingly compelled to provide financial and logistical support for outside groups with distinct and separate cultures from the common culture. 

The LHB deserves its independence from The University. I am sure they will prosper. Such a separation is far from a shame. It’s the healthiest course of action for all parties. 

I wish them well. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

If the band members do not share a common culture with the alumni and supporters of The University, there is no fault in the alumni and supporters wishing the band well in their endeavors and distancing themselves from the band. 

Why is it a shame that two disparate groups with different cultures go their separate ways? These things happen. 

• "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

Band members are very much entitled to their opinions. No one is denying them that freedom. The debate is whether one group of people should be unwillingly compelled to provide financial and logistical support for outside groups with distinct and separate cultures from the common culture. 

The LHB deserves its independence from The University. I am sure they will prosper. Such a separation is far from a shame. It’s the healthiest course of action for all parties. 

I wish them well. 

Stop being so dramatic. LHB doesn't have a "different culture" than the fans - there is more to being a Longhorn than the Eyes.

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Nobody goes to games to watch the band. They can fuck right off. 

And what about the other large proportion that are in LHB for the class credit, to socialize, and watch football games?
Quit lumping the entire band as one collective thought entity. That makes as much sense as labeling the entire GOP as white racist males.

• Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, vtaenz said:

And what about the other large proportion that are in LHB for the class credit, to socialize, and watch football games?
Quit lumping the entire band as one collective thought entity. That makes as much sense as labeling the entire GOP as white racist males.

Did you really have to go to full-on politics in the football board, for your simile? 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2020 at 7:26 PM, MontereyMX said:

fuck any player taking a knee 

TexasEx Green Beret Nate Boyer on  C. Kaepernick:

"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer says.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-nate-boyer-got-colin-kaepernick-to-go-from-sitting-to-kneeling/

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

If the LHB members find EOT so odious and repugnant, they are of a different culture than those who find the some having great redeeming value. 

For a group to essentially say “we are repulsed at what you value, but give us your money so we can more vociferously express our disgust with what you want to perpetuate, do give us money” is bold, to say the least. I don’t know if I could support your argument that two such disparate groups are culturally indistinguishable. 

I would be quite happy with doing away with LHB for a number of years and trying again at a later date to establish another school band. I don’t see any downside to the idea. If the time and energy of the current LHB is going to be focused on political and social activism and not on performing, there would be no great loss in shutting LHB down. It’s a win-win for political activism and for those wanting some day to have a school band that will play the school song. 

If I wanted to promote a political agenda, I wouldn’t direct my political donations to LHB. Unfortunately, if one wanted to support the musical arts, LHB is currently on political hiatus, so donating to LHB isn’t a viable option for that, either.

Just shut it down and try again in a couple years with a new school band. 

Based and burnt orange pilled

11 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

TexasEx Green Beret Nate Boyer on  C. Kaepernick:

"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer says.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-nate-boyer-got-colin-kaepernick-to-go-from-sitting-to-kneeling/

He should Have let Colin pout on the bench like he was doing, protesting his spot on the depth chart. 

• Like 1

I wish them well. 

This is one of the most aggy things I’ve ever read
  • Hook 'Em 1

The alumni band can show up for all I care. Fire the shitty band director. The alums will be happy to play all the traditional stuff. All they need is 100-150 per game, and by the time they all get too old or tired to keep doing this, there may be a new crop of (hopefully) less sensitive students to take back over.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 4