Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This is exactly like what Tom Herman said about the players vs the old white fans. Are the players only purpose to satisfy your entertainment? Do their voices and the value as people not matter? Or do they only matter up to the point where you are inconvenienced?

Isn’t the answer to that obvious? Do people spend millions on luxury boxes to hear Vince Young, Colt McCoy, or Sam Ehlinger speak their political opinions or to see them throw touchdowns? When players are great, fans will listen to a point as a courtesy and out of respect. When they suck, most or all don’t care. Do you subscribe to social media musings of Case McCoy or Larry Dibbles? How about the backup setter on the volleyball team? Athletes are naive if they believe they are modern day Aristotles. They and the coaches and athletic department benefit financially solely because of what they do on the field/court. If you are great at entertaining people, then people will listen to you as long as they find you entertaining. If you suck, nobody cares. Nobody cares what Joe Q. Undergrad thinks. The “it’s another NFL kneeling thing” is right. When you protest in a way that a majority of your fans think is an attack on them, you lose some of your audience directly and others indirectly after your ass gets fired. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Isn’t the answer to that obvious? Do people spend millions on luxury boxes to hear Vince Young, Colt McCoy, or Sam Ehlinger speak their political opinions or to see them throw touchdowns? When players are great, fans will listen to a point as a courtesy and out of respect. When they suck, most or all don’t care. Do you subscribe to social media musings of Case McCoy or Larry Dibbles? How about the backup setter on the volleyball team? Athletes are naive if they believe they are modern day Aristotles. They and the coaches and athletic department benefit financially solely because of what they do on the field/court. If you are great at entertaining people, then people will listen to you as long as they find you entertaining. If you suck, nobody cares. Nobody cares what Joe Q. Undergrad thinks. The “it’s another NFL kneeling thing” is right. When you protest in a way that a majority of your fans think is an attack on them, you lose some of your audience directly and others indirectly after your ass gets fired. 

So shut up and dribble?

22 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I've always thought the eyes of texas was lame as a school song because of the obvious ripoff of I've been working on the railroad.  

However, a lot of folks seem to be taking the Gordon twitter vid claiming that the song was a "minstrel song" sung for many years at minstrel shows as given. 

It was written primarily for the purpose of giving the university a school song and secondarily to poke fun at the UT president.  It  debuted publicly (by coincidence of timing) at a student-led minstrel show fundraiser for the track team, but we have no idea (at least to my knowledge) if the band members playing it were in black face.  It quickly became the school song and was played by the band in marches around campus, not as part of minstrel shows.  I'd like some of Gordon's sourcing for that claim.  

Regardless, this should be an opportunity for research, discussion, and perspective, not for "git rid of the song because twitters says it's racist."  That's so 2020.  

This is why I am confused. I thought the song was written at UT and based off I’ve been working on the railroad which was an older song. Which I was assume song in minstrels.   Is the issue with the eyes? Or it being based off of I’ve been working on the railroad? 

2 minutes ago, TornACL said:

You do realize that most of these buildings are not named after donors, right?

Some are.  For those, the only right thing to do is to return the money.  Littlefield certainly donated the money for the fountain.  $200,000 donation plus interest for 100 years is a tidy sum.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Burntcowboy said:

Not to me there not. You apparently disagree, so what

Yes, to you it's a great argument and I am sure you were proud of yourself for sharing. That's the problem. Along with your fucking spelling. 

37 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

question, before I get wrecked here for asking this.  But did these guys just decide to wake up today and say you know this 100 year song that we've been singling.  I dont like it and im not gonna play until you change it.  Perhaps these are the guys going to chaz next  i dunno. but this should provide quality recruiting ammo against us,  you know if the no draft pic shitty decade donestt work you can use this recent stuf against us 

Was posted earlier, but seems like most of these demands are based off of this statement from the UT student senate: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qj017DGgEi0lH5zkSZIVTwPIPfI4uw971cvvRpWTZf8/preview?pru=AAABcs4ctpA*35h4w0en72wq9Z3YIpnXjg

Just now, Burntcowboy said:

I still have the right to disagree though right

You will be told by most in any current public/social setting that you are not. In fact, someone will likely yell at you that you can't have your own opinion. 

Just now, John Lawrence said:

Some are.  For those, the only right thing to do is to return the money.  Littlefield certainly donated the money for the fountain.  $200,000 donation plus interest for 100 years is a tidy sum.  

Would you rather be the school who did the right thing even though it cost a lot of money, or the school who didn't do the right thing because, well, it was pretty expensive?

Just now, TornACL said:

Yes, to you it's a great argument and I am sure you were proud of yourself for sharing. That's the problem. Along with your fucking spelling. 

I was proud of myself. If the only thing you can find wrong with it is my spelling then I’m doing great. 

1 minute ago, John Lawrence said:

Powers would have done it. Only to build some state of the art Healthcare Robotics facility and say it's an extension for indigent care...

Just now, TornACL said:

Would you rather be the school who did the right thing even though it cost a lot of money, or the school who didn't do the right thing because, well, it was pretty expensive?

I don't have a problem removing them.  But don't keep the benefit.  Give them their money back with interest.

Would the right thing be to also shut down a school that excluded blacks from admission?  Why not?

What about cities and towns honoring slave owners?  Houston and Austin need new names.

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, elguapo said:

So shut up and dribble?

Yes. You want the nice new SEZ, locker rooms, and training facilities. Who the fuck do you think is paying for that? Ask the donors in the Texas Club and in the suites on gameday about their opinion about getting rid of the Eyes. I don't give a shit about the opinions of the players like I don't give a shit about the opinions of any other student. Get an education and protest to your heart's content. The value I place as a season ticket holder is the atmosphere of being at the game live. One of those amenities is singing the Eyes after a game. You want to destroy Texas football, get rid of the Eyes and see what happens.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Skipper said:

This could be a disaster.  Take away "The Eyes" and it may give a lot of fans the excuse they were looking for to say fuck it.

Right, I'm sure there are so many fans who are just looking for an excuse like a song being taken away to say fuck it and stop being a fan, you got it.

5 minutes ago, Xian said:

This is why I am confused. I thought the song was written at UT and based off I’ve been working on the railroad which was an older song. Which I was assume song in minstrels.   Is the issue with the eyes? Or it being based off of I’ve been working on the railroad? 

It's even worse: I've Been Workin' On The Railroad is a viciously sexist song, requesting a woman named Dinah to perform oral sex. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Xian said:

I think the primary issue is it was first performed at a minstrel show, not that it was a copy of a minstrel song (railroad).  

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I wanna know if lsu is gonna change their mascot/name. 

They are named the tigers because louisiana’s division in the civil war fought like (and we nicknamed) “tigers”

Who gives a shit what LSU does... We are Texas.

4 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Sure man you have the right to be as big of a dumb fuck titty baby as you want, go for it

There it is. When you can’t have a civilized discussion you revert to name calling. You low IQ is showing. 

PS

kiss my ass!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yes. You want the nice new SEZ, locker rooms, and training facilities. Who the fuck do you think is paying for that? Ask the donors in the Texas Club and in the suites on gameday about their opinion about getting rid of the Eyes. I don't give a shit about their opinions. Get an education and protest to your heart's content. The value I place as a season ticket holder is the atmosphere of being at the game live. One of those amenities is singing the Eyes after a game. You want to destroy Texas football, get rid of the Eyes and see what happens.

Arky said the same thing about “Dixie” in 1969

jfc

• Like 3

Our 1969 team is the last all-white team to win the national championship.  Should the plaque be taken down from DKR?

DKR coached that team.  Should DKR's name be taken down from the stadium?  Should the university disassociate with DKR?

All the WW1 plaques around the stadium are honoring men who fought for a military that was segregated.  Should we remove all symbols around the stadium honoring men who fought for a segregated institution?

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Right, I'm sure there are so many fans who are just looking for an excuse like a song being taken away to say fuck it and stop being a fan, you got it.

You serious Clark?  Read every ticket renewal thread every year.  There are constantly fans looking for a reason to say 'fuck it'.  That it's not worth it with the parking, crowds, heat, etc. when you can just watch it on your big screen.   Particularly when we've sucked for a decade.   If you don't think taking away traditions could be a tipping point with some you are clueless.  I'm not saying it will with me, it won't, but I guaranfuckingtee you if we ban the eyes you will have a significant percentage of folks that say fuck it.

And I'll add, if you only read this message board, you aren't getting a clear picture.  This board skews younger/moderate to liberal and smarter (even with our share of resident morons).  My buddy has an Orangebloods account, go read the Old Angry white men on that board.  It's what you would imagine.  I just skimmed it and it's full of people yelling at the clouds and threatening to cancel donations/tickets.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stannis said:

Our 1969 team is the last all-white team to win the national championship.  Should the plaque be taken down from DKR?

DKR coached that team.  Should DKR's name be taken down from the stadium?  Should the university disassociate with DKR?

All the WW1 plaques around the stadium are honoring men who fought for a military that was segregated.  Should we remove all symbols around the stadium honoring men who fought for a segregated institution?

Dammit, you shouldn’t have told them. Now we gotta blow the whole damn thing up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The only difference between you & a notable athlete is that he’s been successful enough in his field to be given a platform. I really don’t blame athletes or whoever for trying to use that platform. Blame societal values for the fact that entertainers have a far more powerful voice & platform than you or I ever will. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Greg Fenves just thought he had smooth sailing until his departure at the end of the month.

He does, small private school is a vacation vs. what he's leaving behind. He's done, this "transition" does not include current affairs.

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I don't envy CDC here.  AT all.  Both your black athletes and your old white donors have your athletic department by the balls.   How do you appease both sides?  And you know what doesn't help?  The fact that we've fucking sucked ass for a decade.  Regardless of this issue, we have a bunch of fans sick and tired of spending a shit load of money on a shit product.   So now you have these demands before a season starts where you are almost certainly going to have some form of crowd restrictions in place (giving season ticket holders the opportunity to cancel).  This could be a disaster.  Take away "The Eyes" and it may give a lot of fans the excuse they were looking for to say fuck it.

And I see some suggested the compromise be "sing the eyes but the athletes don't have to sing it".  I just don't think that's going to work.   That's going to turn every fucking UT sporting event into a protest where attendees are going to have to "declare a side" by standing for the eyes or sitting down.  That's a disaster in the making.

I don't know what the answer is but bet CDC wished he kept his ass at TCU right about now.

He's making $1.7 a year.  I'm sure he's fine. 

2 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

This is the students’ opportunity to drive the culture of the university where they choose. We all had our time. This is theirs. 

Good luck, kids. 

Except that the kids don't fund, donate and build the structures. 

Have fun, CDC.   You're making a shitload of money.  Going to earn in the coming weeks / months. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

You serious Clark?  Read every ticket renewal thread every year.  There are constantly fans looking for a reason to say 'fuck it'.  That it's not worth it with the parking, crowds, heat, etc. when you can just watch it on your big screen.   Particularly when we've sucked for a decade.   If you don't think taking away traditions could be a tipping point with some you are clueless.  I'm not saying it will with me, it won't, but I guaranfuckingtee you if we ban the eyes you will have a significant percentage of folks that say fuck it.

Bingo. Giving fans even less incentive to come when there are COVID fears, economic uncertainty, shitty product on the field and now add this. CDC needs to come up some sort of compromise with the players without sacrificing the Eyes. Think of the money issues we'd have with the capital improvements we are making with an even more demoralized fan base. Look at what has happened to Mizzou with their athletics to see our future. 

• Like 1