Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

Listened to The Blitz this morning and Babers mentioned that he’s talked to band members that will refuse to play The Eyes. Hopefully he’s wrong or this could turn into a clusterfuck. 

Live video from inside the halls of power in UT

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So what happens when we have another black heisman winner?

If that’s the case then more than likely we’ll have competed for a national championship. So name the university  after him

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Fwiw ($0) - The wife & I have been leaving the home games about halfway thru the 4th quarter and as a result have not sung the postgame Eyes for at least three years. 

That's most of us, my friend.  I think only time I've stayed for The Eyes at the end of a game over the past several years was the win over USC in 2018.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

That's most of us, my friend.  I think only time I've stayed for The Eyes at the end of a game over the past several years was the win over USC in 2018.

I haven't been to many games since we moved to Georgia, but I stayed through every second of route 66.  Worst loss ever.  Lost two QBs in the game.  And it was HOT.  If we hadn't switched seats to get under the overhand, I don't think my wife would have made it without passing out.  But we were there until the end along with about 10,000 Texas fans and 2,000 UCLA fans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 12:01 PM, UDontKnow said:

Earl was against Colt McCoy winning the Heisman? Damn, I didn't know that.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:29 PM, Scholz said:

No just all white QBs

Earl said UT football sucked because we need a talented black quarterback. He didn’t just say any black quarterback. 

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 1:29 PM, South Austin said:

I am the type that gets there early and stays until the end (sometimes the bitter end).  I only make it to a couple of games a year so being among the UT faithful I always stay and sing the "Eyes".  I also make it to a least one road game a year as well.  I have gone to the last two away WVU/UT games both of which UT won.  There is something about singing the "Eyes" on another team's turf that is so bonding with other UT fans and alumni.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2020 at 10:20 AM, Poe It Up said:

Listened to The Blitz this morning and Babers mentioned that he’s talked to band members that will refuse to play The Eyes. Hopefully he’s wrong or this could turn into a clusterfuck. 

Like i've said before.  They should protest those uniforms.  Sanders was a colonel from the south yes?

On 7/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, Armybrat said:

Fuck the NYT.

The Pulitzer Prize awarded to Walter Duranty in the 1930s for sucking up to the USSR reflects what a fraud they both are.

Yellow journalism definition should have the NYT illustrated right along side Willie Hearst.

Now, that’s the Armybrat we all know and love. 

Fwiw ($0) - The wife & I have been leaving the home games about halfway thru the 4th quarter and as a result have not sung the postgame Eyes for at least three years. 
I'm going to come kneel in your front yard while burning a red hammer and sickle flag..

6 minutes ago, ousux said:
On 7/17/2020 at 1:14 PM, Armybrat said:

I'm going to come kneel in your front yard while burning a red hammer and sickle flag..

Go right ahead, but bring your kneepads - my front yard is all gravel. :D

Edited by Armybrat

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 10:20 AM, Poe It Up said:

Welp.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/2020/08/16/ut-drum-major-says-she-wont-lead-the-eyes-of-texas-when-football-returns/?outputType=amp

Agree it isn’t her call and she can step aside.  How many follow, though?  It will look pretty awkward if a noticeable number stand with instruments at their side and don’t play.  Do they have to agree to play to walk out and represent the university?  The same arguments start to trickle everywhere and the turns into the predicted cluster.

It’s such a dishonestly written article. A lie by omission. Leaves out the fact that the song was written to mock the UT president at the time. Makes it sound as if the song was written at the behest of or to honor the president. Fails to disclose or even address the original purpose of the song. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

“I think President Hartzell made a very, I don’t want to say uneducated, but out of all the ways to respond to it, that was not the way to do it,” Morales said. “Coming from a white man that is the president of this University, it’s inappropriate for him to say, ‘Let’s reclaim this song.’”

It's like she didn't even read his statement. 

I really hope the compromise that the university and black students and organizations came up with includes some proper education so we can all move forward positively with the Eyes while also acknowledging and condemning the hateful minstrel shows where it debuted.

I don't really want to rehash this issue again and I respect that everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be able to decide for themself whether to play or sing the Eyes or not, but if you are in LHB or on the team and don't want to participate in moments like this, I just don't get it.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 8