Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

Why is the band holding the University hostage? They were told to play it and now they don't even show up? 

LHB has already been informed that they're playing The Eyes.  I assume that the LHB leadership will take appropriate actions if LHB members refuse to play the official school song - and here's a hint: there are a lot more people out there that want to be in LHB than people who are willing to get cut by not playing that song.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

On 9/20/2020 at 3:27 AM, Wanker Bob said:

And nobody is saying you can't play it at all of those things. Just IMO if you need black athletes to compete for championships and black athletes are showing some discontent with regards to the song it's probably prudent to not try and force it on them anymore while expecting them to stand and sing it while putting their index and pinky fingers in the air. Just let them be and move on

We should also let the players call plays and redesign our uniforms.  Because we need them and they'd like to do that right?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

LHB has already been informed that they're playing The Eyes.  I assume that the LHB leadership will take appropriate actions if LHB members refuse to play the official school song - and here's a hint: there are a lot more people out there that want to be in LHB than people who are willing to get cut by not playing that song.
Depends on the section.

I've gone to the first two home games. I haven't missed the band. They've been playing the same songs and doing the same marches for 50 years. People used to love typewriters and phone booths too, but they're obsolete. Instead, perhaps put local bands on the jumbotron, or something like that. Time to think outside the box. How many times do you really need to hear march grandisio?

I've gone to the first two home games. I haven't missed the band. They've been playing the same songs and doing the same marches for 50 years. People used to love typewriters and phone booths too, but they're obsolete. Instead, perhaps put local bands on the jumbotron, or something like that. Time to think outside the box. How many times do you really need to hear march grandisio?

This is the stupidest thing I have seen on this site this week, and that’s saying something
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Shaggybevo said:

This is how the society portrayed in Fahrenheit 451 began.

shame on you.

2 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

IMO the band and other school related "traditions" are key elements that separates the college football gameday experience from the pros.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

Please go some place else for your sports talk 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

Such a terrible take.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

You're a big NFL fan, aren't you?  You should just stick to that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

And you probably enjoy every aspect of our whored-out stadium including the non-stop bullshit over the PA system at 110 decibels.   It's an all-out assault on our senses.  But, again, sounds like it's up your alley.  

12 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

image.gif.23db490ca0904995234be2c770b32605.gif

On 9/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, randygilman said:

But they still play what many somehow believe is a racist song and the team captain of the Longhorn football team who just was promoted nationally by its ESPN network has consistently spoken about his disdain for the song whenever a microphone is placed in front of him

I knew the minute that this surfaced as a issue that Texas football is pretty much screwed for the next ten or twenty years. There's no really good answer, and it will have a negative effect on recruiting for a long time. Step 1 to recovery is to fire the mensa moron, and get a new coach in here that can start over on building a team culture that doesn't suck. I project we will flounder around with this for three to five years before we decide to completely disassociate ourselves from the "racist" song that fans and alumni love. Then we'll spend a decade or so trying to live down being the university that openly loved what they now admit is a racist song.  OU sux, but so does this situation.

Edited by JohnLocke

13 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

And all of a sudden, we have a new leader in the worst person in the world contest...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

Yes, let's replace the Eyes with rotating musical acts.  Nickelback, BTS, Mandy Moore.  

Just watched the end of the 1969 Texas/OU game on ESPN.

Chris Schenkle, the ABC broadcaster, said the following statement on TV after witnessing the singing of the "Eyes of Texas":

"Well, I think you have to admit, that if that doesn't grab you, well, you don't, don't only have an ear for music, you do not have much emotion."

The more I think about it the less I care if the band ever even plays at UT football (or any game for that matter). It is not even due to the protest over "The Eyes" as frankly I give zero fucks about that. It is more due to the fact that overall I cannot ever think of a game I have been at where I have been overwhelmed by the LHB even being there.

In terms of halftime I am in club drinking/eating vs watching their show so for me having them not be there at all wouldn't matter.

Could save the school a ton of $ in terms of flying band to/fro etc. I know some folks are huge LHB people, just for me they aren't a net adder to my overall gameday satisfaction. All I care is if Horns win the fucking game, having the band play doesn't matter.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

The more I think about it the less I care if the band ever even plays at UT football (or any game for that matter). It is not even due to the protest over "The Eyes" as frankly I give zero fucks about that. It is more due to the fact that overall I cannot ever think of a game I have been at where I have been overwhelmed by the LHB even being there.

In terms of halftime I am in club drinking/eating vs watching their show so for me having them not be there at all wouldn't matter.

Could save the school a ton of $ in terms of flying band to/fro etc. I know some folks are huge LHB people, just for me they aren't a net adder to my overall gameday satisfaction. All I care is if Horns win the fucking game, having the band play doesn't matter.

Might as well do away with the Pom Squad as well as I am sure that many see that as sexual exploitation. Ol' Smoky the Cannon should go away too so that those that are opposed to "guns" are appeased.  Let's also do away with Bevo on the sideline too so that PETA will be happy.  Probably should ousts the cheerleaders too although they are a diverse group; we certainly do not want a small group of kids telling the masses to stand up and cheer against their will.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mininghorn88 said:

Might as well do away with the Pom Squad as well as I am sure that many see that as sexual exploitation. Ol' Smoky the Cannon should go away too so that those that are opposed to "guns" are appeased.  Let's also do away with Bevo on the sideline too so that PETA will be happy.  Probably should ousts the cheerleaders too although they are a diverse group; we certainly do not want a small group of kids telling the masses to stand up and cheer against their will.

You took it and made my post to be some political SJW deal, that's not my point at all. I personally derive no satisfaction from the band so don't give a shit if they are there or not.

I am not saying shit about Pom, Bevo, cheerleaders etc. I also support the band's right to protest overall, I just don't like marching bands in general. Leave that shit in high school IMO.

• Like 1

You took it and made my post to be some political SJW deal, that's not my point at all. I personally derive no satisfaction from the band so don't give a shit if they are there or not.
I am not saying shit about Pom, Bevo, cheerleaders etc. I also support the band's right to protest overall, I just don't like marching bands in general. Leave that shit in high school IMO.
No he didn't. He's making a point of the absurdity of your statement and how you could make that same blanket statement for any spirit group.

1 minute ago, vtaenz said:
5 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

No he didn't. He's making a point of the absurdity of your statement and how you could make that same blanket statement for any spirit group.

Yes he did as he applied some filter around exploitation of woman and cruelty to animals. Had he just said, "Well I don't like pom squads so they should go away" then he would have done what I did, which was simply to apply a personal preference to my gameday experience which is that the LHB has had next to no impact on it and as such I can give two shits if they play "The Eyes" or any song for that matter. Frankly has zero to do with any protest the band may put forth more that for me personally I think marching bands are stupid.That's it. No big deal. Some people love the LHB, some like me don't give a shit. That's what makes the world go round.

24 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

NEVER...EVER...get rid of this...

eb9e89edff7eb24540e27cef88f18ec3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Frankly, their hurry-up bleating in between plays was annoying as hell.

2 minutes ago, TexMexBuddha said:
15 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

Frankly, their hurry-up bleating in between plays was annoying as hell.

It does seem over the last decade or so the band has had a general lack of in game awareness.. the loud and annoying playing constantly before the other team snapped the ball which I believe started last year or the year before is really dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’d kill to be a game live, with Urban at the helm, Godzillatron silent the whole game, just showing replays, and the band not doing stupid shit like the Wolf of Wall Street song.  Multiple full renditions of Texas Fight, and Horn Grandioso and Wabash Cannonball, and then more Texas Fight  Never been a big fan of The Eyes and don’t really care if it’s ever sung again regularly.

You left out the Bevo Blvd. parade leading the team, that's some good fun.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’d kill to be a game live, with Urban at the helm, Godzillatron silent the whole game, just showing replays, and the band not doing stupid shit like the Wolf of Wall Street song.  Multiple full renditions of Texas Fight, and Horn Grandioso and Wabash Cannonball, and then more Texas Fight  Never been a big fan of The Eyes and don’t really care if it’s ever sung again regularly.

Forgot about this recent shit.. I think we even play it when the other team is driving down the field. So sad. 

27 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah I’m drinking brown water or pounding beers. Ain’t nobody got time for CDC invention to entertain kids. 

Why not both? That's what we all do. You're truly missing out if you've not been on that street when the band comes through.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’ve been with my son. Herman gave him five and Sam waved at him. He thought that was really cool. It was cool. But a circus and a one-time deal for me. At least until we hire Urban  

When the band came rolling through the golf course into the Rose Bowl in January ‘06 with 512 eye black, that was fucking awesome. 

Good, the players& coaches march is not nearly as fun as the band leading them. 

6 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

If the UT band refuses to play it, maybe we should organize an "informal band" (with instruments) in the stands to play it.  I'd prefer our band play it, but if they don't, we'll do it. 

what about the LHAB? Let them sit where the band does instead of hiking 20 stories to the upper deck

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, JohnLocke said:

I project we will flounder around with this for three to five years before we decide to completely disassociate ourselves from the "racist" song that fans and alumni love. Then we'll spend a decade or so trying to live down being the university that openly loved what they now admit is a racist song. 

I’m not so sure about this. Today’s college students aren’t as likely to attend games now (or in the future as alums). The ones who are easily offended are even less likely to attend, and many of those who are offended will grow up and stop being offended. This controversy will hopefully fade from 2020 levels because, well, it won’t be 2020.

As I’ve said before, it would be very short-sighted to ditch THE ONLY school song that anyone - anywhere - recognizes. Hell, even Elvis sang it in Viva Las Vegas. When we were freshmen at UT, we used to laugh at and make up words to other school songs because they were all the same. My high school song started out with the line “From these hallowed halls of learning, we shall bid farewell some day.” The only reason any of us knew that much is because it was so lame and ridiculous it deserved mocking.

I have stopped all donations to UT outside of LHF. If they capitulate on The Eyes, that will come to an end as well. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I agree with your sentiments for the most part. I just don't see a good way for this to play out.  Players aren't going to say nevermind, we've thought it over and decided it's not racist and we''ll come sing it with you. And other schools are going to effectively use it against us in recruiting.  Eventually we will get tired of the controversy and chuck it. That's not how I want it to go down. I just can't see another path out.  Fans aren't going to like it, and well, that's how you get fair weather fans.  I'll support you when things are going good, but when things go south, well, I've got other things to do on Saturday anyway.  Not a good look for anybody, I'm sad to say.

Edited by JohnLocke

21 hours ago, JohnLocke said:

I knew the minute that this surfaced as a issue that Texas football is pretty much screwed for the next ten or twenty years. There's no really good answer, and it will have a negative effect on recruiting for a long time. Step 1 to recovery is to fire the mensa moron, and get a new coach in here that can start over on building a team culture that doesn't suck. I project we will flounder around with this for three to five years before we decide to completely disassociate ourselves from the "racist" song that fans and alumni love. Then we'll spend a decade or so trying to live down being the university that openly loved what they now admit is a racist song.  OU sux, but so does this situation.

Don't give Herman any ideas.  He'll claim the reason the football team sucks is due to systemic racism and leverage that into a contract extension.

20 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I hate parades. Marching bands and parades go together. I like the cut of your jib if it ends parades.