Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yes. You want the nice new SEZ, locker rooms, and training facilities. Who the fuck do you think is paying for that? Ask the donors in the Texas Club and in the suites on gameday about their opinion about getting rid of the Eyes. I don't give a shit about the opinions of the players like I don't give a shit about the opinions of any other student. Get an education and protest to your heart's content. The value I place as a season ticket holder is the atmosphere of being at the game live. One of those amenities is singing the Eyes after a game. You want to destroy Texas football, get rid of the Eyes and see what happens.

Nothing will happen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stannis said:

Our 1969 team is the last all-white team to win the national championship.  Should the plaque be taken down from DKR?

DKR coached that team.  Should DKR's name be taken down from the stadium?  Should the university disassociate with DKR?

All the WW1 plaques around the stadium are honoring men who fought for a military that was segregated.  Should we remove all symbols around the stadium honoring men who fought for a segregated institution?

You're not going to like the answer because this will all come up. 

My question is what do the japanese, chinese, hipanic, euros want for equality - get this all out before fb season.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Except that the kids don't fund, donate and build the structures. 

Have fun, CDC.   You're making a shitload of money.  Going to earn in the coming weeks / months. 

Students don’t fund anything? What’s UT do with the tuition money? 

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Bingo. Giving fans even less incentive to come when there are COVID fears, economic uncertainty, shitty product on the field and now add this. CDC needs to come up some sort of compromise with the players without sacrificing the Eyes. Think of the money issues we'd have with the capital improvements we are making with an even more demoralized fan base. Look at what has happened to Mizzou with their athletics to see our future. 

Or look at Ole Miss, who completely revamped most of their team traditions to move the definition of Rebels away from the Confederacy and.... everything pretty much stayed the same? Because it's inherently fun to go watch an Ole Miss game, like it usually is to watch a Texas game (well, aside from the product on the field recently).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

I don't have a problem removing them.  But don't keep the benefit.  Give them their money back with interest.

Would the right thing be to also shut down a school that excluded blacks from admission?  Why not?

What about cities and towns honoring slave owners?  Houston and Austin need new names.

The problem with these slippery slope arguments, besides the fact that they're an obvious logical fallacy, is that you're also trying to equate easy moves with extremely difficult moves. 

What the fuck does one have to do with the other?

This OMG where does it all end bullshit is just a way to deflect and delay. Make these changes, it's easy. 

• Like 1

Just now, nineliveslost said:

I will ask again

Does this work with everyone ?

What if the women of Texas wanted MLK's name removed from streets, building, schools and statues taken down because he was a womanizer and adulterer? Would that ever happen?

You sound like you have a real bone to pick with MLK, which is pretty fucking weird. Cheating on your wife =/= the whole history of American racism.

1 minute ago, nineliveslost said:

I will ask again

What if the women of Texas wanted MLK's name removed from streets, building, schools and statues taken down because he was a womanizer and adulterer? Would that ever happen?

Are you by any chance related to J Edgar Hoover?

• Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Or look at Ole Miss, who completely revamped most of their team traditions to move the definition of Rebels away from the Confederacy and.... everything pretty much stayed the same? Because it's inherently fun to go watch an Ole Miss game, like it usually is to watch a Texas game (well, aside from the product on the field recently).

Come on man, I don't have to spell out the huge difference between a nickname and flags being flown of the entity that wanted to keep blacks as slaves versus the Eyes which might have been played initially at a minstrel show. Whether the Eyes was performed in blackface would be a nice fact to know and could change my opinion.

• Like 1

no bones to pick with anyone. I just know a lot of women would have a problem with it. Just curious question

you know a lot of women who have stated that they have issues specifically about the alleged philandering of Martin Luther King, Jr?

This has somehow never come up in conversation in my 43 years of life. 

• Haha 1

The pro-song crowd might need to accept the fact that the song will go away. Not this year but in the near future. The team won’t sing it, the students largely won’t sing it, some band members might not want to play it, some regular fans won’t sing it, it’ll just be this awkward event at the end of the game. It’s going away.

On another note, I've always hated the Main Building because, well, it's that color.  So while we're at it in today's' world, let's go ahead and take the fucker down. (But someone other than that demo crew in Dallas needs to do the job.)

On another note, if you think the people that run and fund the University are going to allow the Eyes to be eliminated then you probably need to recalibrate things and / or your hopes.     Not going to happen.

• Like 3

no bones to pick with anyone. I just know a lot of women would have a problem with it. Just curious question

it's weird that you're so concerned about these hypothetical problems that women may have but to my knowledge have not expressed, but you don't seem to be concerned with the problems that have been clearly expressed,  point by point, by our athletes today. 

• Like 3

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

you know a lot of women who have stated that they have issues specifically about the alleged philandering of Martin Luther King, Jr?

This has somehow never come up in conversation in my 43 years of life. 

no, not specifically with MLK, but damn sure with the act in general

6 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I will ask again

You're going to have to be the one to take up this crusade.  Good luck with it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Come on man, I don't have to spell out the huge difference between a nickname and flags being flown of the entity that wanted to keep blacks as slaves versus the Eyes which might have been played initially at a minstrel show. Whether the Eyes was performed in blackface would be a nice fact to know and could change my opinion.

Then you can acknowledge that Mizzou had FAR greater issues with campus political division than this, and also didn't actually materially change any of their football gameday traditions. It's a very different situation, just like Ole Miss' (which actually did involve changing the gameday experience and their fight song and mascot).

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I imagine a lot of women allied with the players would have some major problems with some of the misogynistic lyrics in the music on most of these new activists' favorite playlists. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Right now Plonsky is shaving & dusting off her playbook for Adzillatron.

She's been neutered, thankfully.   In a cube out by the construction site.   Communicates by carrier pigeon now. 

We can tip our hat to Del Conte for that aspect of things.

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Except is wasn't just a song that happened to be performed at minstrel shows. From my understanding the song was literally written for a minstrel show. It's a song written to be performed by racist white people in exaggerated blackface with the specific goal of intimidating and demeaning blacks.

This. The Eyes of Texas was specifically written for a blackface show. As much as I love the song and the tradition of singing it, I can’t defend something like this knowing why it was written.

Now when I hear the song, I think of a white guy dressed up in blackface singing “you cannot get away, do not think you can escape them, at night or early in the morn”

I don’t know what to say in defense of something like this. 

And fuck those people who threaten to turn their backs on Texas football because we’re forced to stop singing a racist song. 

• Like 4

Just now, TornACL said:

it's weird that you're so concerned about these hypothetical problems that women may have but to my knowledge have not expressed, but you don't seem to be concerned with the problems that have been clearly expressed,  point by point, by our athletes today. 

I actually agree with most of what the athletes are asking. I just wanted to throw out a hypothetical. Didnt know questions werent allowed that you didnt agree with 

20 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yes. You want the nice new SEZ, locker rooms, and training facilities. Who the fuck do you think is paying for that? Ask the donors in the Texas Club and in the suites on gameday about their opinion about getting rid of the Eyes. I don't give a shit about the opinions of the players like I don't give a shit about the opinions of any other student. Get an education and protest to your heart's content. The value I place as a season ticket holder is the atmosphere of being at the game live. One of those amenities is singing the Eyes after a game. You want to destroy Texas football, get rid of the Eyes and see what happens.

Hey....ppsssttttt......they dont give a shit about yours either

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I am proud that our student athletes are educated enough and confident enough in their beliefs to speak their minds on issues that are important to them.  I really am.

I also think it's time that the University place the emphasis back on "student" in the term "student athlete," particularly if they are going to predicate their participation as athletes on the school satisfying their demands as students.  For starters, let's ensure that to gain entrance as a student athlete at the University of Texas, you must satisfy the rigorous academic requirements that every other student on campus has to satisfy to gain admittance into UT.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Honestly, and this isn't a mad reaction or anything, but.... shouldn't the players, if they feel this way about the university's history, just walk off the campus and go play somewhere else less raycess?

That's probably the next step to be honest. There's been talk of black players looking harder at HBCU’s ever since the Floyd tragedy.

6 minutes ago, TornACL said:

The problem with these slippery slope arguments, besides the fact that they're an obvious logical fallacy, is that you're also trying to equate easy moves with extremely difficult moves. 

What the fuck does one have to do with the other?

This OMG where does it all end bullshit is just a way to deflect and delay. Make these changes, it's easy. 

It's hypocritical and wrong to pull Littlefield's name from shit he donated while keeping the money he donated.  There is no "obvious logical fallacy" to that.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

7 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The cabal informed me that they'd like you to view this tweet.

no, not specifically with MLK, but damn sure with the act in general

OK. Well, sure, if there is a critical mass of women who make a compelling case that tributes to MLK and/or other adulterers should be removed on the basis of their alleged adultery, they deserve to be heard. 

3 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

She's been neutered, thankfully.   In a cube out by the construction site.   Communicates by carrier pigeon now. 

I thought her contract was up this summer?

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Of course but this is her opportunity for salvation. Lots for her to munch on with her network and current state of affairs. 

I actually agree with most of what the athletes are asking. I just wanted to throw out a hypothetical. Didnt know questions werent allowed that you didnt agree with 

Don't be a sensitive pussy. No one has said that your questions aren't allowed. 

To answer your hypothetical, if a group of women expressed that concern genuinely, it should be heard. To my knowledge it remains a hypothetical. 

I’m actually surprised by how many people want to die on this hill, and even more, they use the same tropes of “what’s next, give the state back to the Indians” hyperbole 

It is just a song. 

and people are melting down 

• Like 8

Just now, TornACL said:

Don't be a sensitive pussy. No one has said that your questions aren't allowed. 

To answer your hypothetical, if a group of women expressed that concern genuinely, it should be heard. To my knowledge it remains a hypothetical. 

no pussy here. Big hugs though 

2 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

It's hypocritical and wrong to pull Littlefield's name from shit he donated while keeping the money he donated.  There is no "obvious logical fallacy" to that.

Pass the donation bucket. I'll pitch in. 

Well, I can’t say I’m shocked that a football board thread is dripping in AIDS. My two thoughts:

1) anyone who thinks having the option to not sing it after a game will turn into anything other than a bunch of fans singing something now tabbed as racist to a bunch of black people walking off a field, BY THEIR OWN “FANS,” is whistling past a fucking graveyard or ten. 

2) Luka Skywalker is a piece of shit poster and a human being. Which I’ve already known, but in these times of uncertainty anything that is even remotely consistent is somehow a source of comfort. Even if it’s a person who should be ritualistically beaten viciously on a weekly basis with lead pipes and nail studded bats. Because fuck that guy. 

This is, one way or another, a no win situation. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1