What would you do?

Tailgate

What would you do?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What changes would you make?

• Everything requested by University of Texas athletes including changing alma mater song
    • Change building names and remove statues but don’t change the alma mater song
    • Change building names but don’t remove statues or change alma mater song
    • No changes

I voted to change buildings and statues but not the song. I’m actually not against it but think there needs to be a larger discussion had by the university community. Without that, people will just perceive this a the liberals taking things away and not do any soul searching. If the larger discussion is had and people want to keep the song then I’m fine with that too.

• Like 3

Change buildings and statues - no real reason not to, just give them Honors Hall, etc names like Clemson has done

Outreach groups in larger cities - very good idea

Freshman required at Orientation or otherwise take that course mentioned - very good idea

Whittier - yes, and very easy to do with all the new EZ expansion

Donation - not sure if feasible since government, but to NAACP or similar, BLM too many holes as to where money goes

Eyes - get rid of the Texas Cowboys, not the song.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Xian said:

It’s our alma mater.  Not fight song. FYI. 

Texas fight would be our fight song. 

A lot of “alumni” sure up in arms without being able to correctly identify that it’s not our fight song.  

13 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Change buildings and statues - no real reason not to, just give them Honors Hall, etc names like Clemson has done

Outreach groups in larger cities - very good idea

Freshman required at Orientation or otherwise take that course mentioned - very good idea

Whittier - yes, and very easy to do with all the new EZ expansion

Donation - not sure if feasible since government, but to NAACP or similar, BLM too many holes as to where money goes

Eyes - get rid of the Texas Cowboys, not the song.

Agree on buildings, statues, outreach and orientation. No brainers. I need to do more research on fight song...that’s a tough one for me.

Edited by Tailgate

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Disband college sports.   It just manipulates young athletes and then has the audacity to insult them over and over during the game.

Change everything.    Fuck the NCAA.

That's not an option in the poll so stop whining. 

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

That's not an option in the poll so stop whining. 

Fuck the poll, and your policing it.

Go play intramurals.  It solves everything.   John Salley says we're too soft. I'm inclined to agree.  We're chasing mice while getting trampled by the elephants.

Edited by Iceman

Just now, Iceman said:

Wah!  we're protesting for protesting sake.  hear us roar!!!

LOlz.

No, they're protesting for a specific purpose. To eliminate symbols of racism that were erected on campus at a time when the university fought to keep black people oppressed. I know in your black/white worldview that's a hard point to understand. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

No, they're protesting for a specific purpose. To eliminate symbols of racism that were erected on campus at a time when the university fought to keep black people oppressed. I know in your black/white worldview that's a hard point to understand. 

fuck off.  Wrong direction and you know it.

and yeah, I'd be 100% fine with disbanding college athletics.   It's corrupt AF.  

Edited by Iceman

They weren't honored as symbols of racism.  They were honored for being essential cornerstones upon which a great institution has been built.  If there is one otherwise (and there may be), then I'd support removing it.

Heroes do not have to be gods.  We can accept their failures and still celebrate their achievements.

So I voted no to all 

I would support Whittier getting further recognition as a part of this expansion or a future one.  A section in the HOF for the earliest black athletes would be nice as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

Disband college sports.   It just manipulates young athletes and then has the audacity to insult them over and over during the game.

Change everything.    Fuck the NCAA.

Ok cool. Disbanded. No reason for you to be here anymore. Fuck off the face of the earth 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JBJ said:

They weren't honored as symbols of racism.  They were honored for being essential cornerstones upon which a great institution has been built.  If there is one otherwise (and there may be), then I'd support removing it.

Heroes do not have to be gods.  We can accept their failures and still celebrate their achievements.

So I voted no to all 

I would support Whittier getting further recognition as a part of this expansion or a future one.  A section in the HOF for the earliest black athletes would be nice as well.

+1 for insightful.

Lot of truth here.

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

"I've been presented with uncomfortable ideas. Burn it all down and discontinue all of it."

-- rational person, 2020

I’ve advocated shutting down college athletics for years.  Won’t happen because...profitability, yo.

Add on the irrational overreaction of people seeking to ‘purify’ the world to their liking: and yeah, it’s a very easy option.

Fuck the money. Fuck the corruption. Fuck the apparent abuse of players. 

If I had to choose from the options given, I’d do away with the song as well as everything else listed. I think there’s a middle ground where the song is redeemed/kept and everyone comes away happy and better off.

It only happens if the people in leadership are thoughtful and take the time to hear and understand the issue. I’m optimistic that this will be the case with the University. It looks to me like the player leadership, coaching leadership, and administrative leadership are all willing to work productively to improve things. Empowering the players to improve their world is good for everyone.

Change nothing mentioned in the poll, because this is getting ridiculous.  Time to stand up to reactionary bullies.

It's many of the same voices that just a few years ago (correctly) decried the Taliban's destruction of statues and art, but given the power of the media spotlight now they choose to do the same, even defacing statues of abolitionists.

a_afghanbuddha_150306.focal-760x428.jpg

ed287e4be81910ddb9815f68dd10f5fbb3-6-isi

Edited by clapclapclap

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

I’ve advocated shutting down college athletics for years.  Won’t happen because...profitability, yo.

Add on the irrational overreaction of people seeking to ‘purify’ the world to their liking: and yeah, it’s a very easy option.

Fuck the money. Fuck the corruption. Fuck the apparent abuse of players. 

Eh. This conversation is gonna take place across the nation in many programs. I don't think anyone expects it to be perfect but maybe some things can be reconciled. We hit a boiling point. I'm not harping on you individually. I just see many with a tendency to want to shut the discussion down when it's inevitable and will take place regardless. I'm certainly no expert.

i think its a great opportunity for the university to lead here. more than just students and the city, but the state and country

allow for some public debate and discussion. Let people discuss, connect and be heard. televise it. make it a Youtube series or new part of the LHN. get athletes, alumni, faculty and other members of the city/state to join.

Rushing to the final output is missing teh point entirely IMO. we need to improve communication and understanding, not just change things

I don't have an issue with any of the asks.

Moore, Painter, etc. should have been renamed a long time ago. Painter needs to be renamed Sweatt, unless the Law School uses that name for a building. Sweatt v. Painter paved the way for me.

We sang The Eyes of Texas at my wedding. And I have sung it after countless games, whether in the stands or watching on TV. My toddlers know it. But I can't in good conscience give Washington football, Cleveland baseball, Atlanta baseball, etc fans crap about their team names/mascots/traditions and then turn a blind eye to the history of the Eyes of Texas and the fact that it is offensive to some members of the Longhorn family every time they hear it. They are Longhorns just as much as I am. And I value their presence and contribution to the Longhorn family more than a song with a racist history, despite the joy the song has brought to me over the years.

The song has to go.

• Like 2