How the hell do people ever walk out of/turn off movies?

GreenspointTexas

Sure, a movie may not be as good as I thought, but ive never walked out of a single movie in my life. Not have I ever not finished a movie. And ive seen a shit ton of them

I always chuckle when people post that they do. Are people just that dumb? Pretty fucking easy to tell if a movie is going to be worth my time just by the trailer and/or director and cast. Very similar to looking at the cocktail menu before going to a new restaurant.

52 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Sure, a movie may not be as good as I thought, but ive never walked out of a single movie in my life. Not have I ever not finished a movie. And ive seen a shit ton of them

I always chuckle when people post that they do. Are people just that dumb? Pretty fucking easy to tell if a movie is going to be worth my time just by the trailer and/or director and cast. Very similar to looking at the cocktail menu before going to a new restaurant.

I've walked out of 2, maybe three theater movies, at the most, in my life.

I'll turn that shit off in 15-20 minutes if it doesn't go somewhere at the house.

I had to try Mad Men 3 times before it finally clicked and became one of my favorite alltime series.  Trailers don't mean shit, nor do pilots.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

I’ve walked out of plenty of movies. There was a old 8 screen cinema my childhood home. I’d go up there when I was sick of basketball and the pool. I don’t want to date myself, but I remember waking out of Bio Dome, Tank Girl and She’s All That.

I miss that theater. When Varsity Blues premiered it was so packed that people were sitting in the aisles. I doubt we’ll ever see that again.

I'm too frugal to walk out of a movie at a theater, but I turn off movies all the time at home, when I'm told they could be "ok", etc.

I don't know if I ever did back in the day of VHS and DVD, but now it is too easy to just find something else to entertain you.

Edited by BNB

I was a little kid the year Harold and Maude was first released in theaters. My mother's boyfriend took us all to see it one night. It was one of those memories seared into my little kid brain because shortly into the movie my mother yank my arm and my sister's and we bolted out of there with my mother in tears. What I didn't know at that moment was that my mom's best friend committed suicide the previous day.

More recently my wife and I left the theatre during the first twenty or thirty minutes of A Quiet Passion. Total snoozefest and not ideal when you've just downed two IPAs at HH....

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Iceman said:

Trailers don't mean shit

Dude, you're talking to Greenpoint. He can accurately call the outcome of any game after the first drive 17% of the time. He knows the quality of a movie ten seconds into the trailer.

• Like 2

I walked out of one long ago.

but my fav story isnt of when I walked out, but 2 clueless parents right behind me.

When the SouthPark movie came out in 1999 it came really close to getting a NC-17 for language. 

Myself and my 2 roommates made plans to watch it at a matinee time (because it was cheaper) at one of the 20 theater multiplexes.   We got our popcorn and drinks and got in our seats early.  We were in the 2nd to last row.

Just before the previews started, a 30ish couple with a 6-7 year old came in and sat behind us.  We didnt notice until the kid started making noise and whining just as the previews started. we turned around, and flat out asked them if they were in the right theater and explained that this movie wasnt for kids. 

we were told in some sort of non-flattering language  ( but I dont think profane) to mind our own business.  As the previews ended, my roommate tried one more time asking if they were in the wrong theater, that time we were told to shut the fuck up.  so we shrugged and watched the movie.

as we all know the opening scene says the word fuck about 100 times.  The stuck up couple didnt last 2 minutes cause mama started losing her shit over the language and as they got up I had to get the last word in.... something along the lines of "we fucking told you" childish I know, but oh well. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

The only movie I ever walked out on was the Talented Mr. Ripley. I know others like it so I'm sure I'll get negged here. I hated it, and just couldn't keep watching. I've stopped watching some movies on movie channels, the last one being Her Smell, but I've also stayed and watched some really bad movies. 

32 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

My mom and I walked out of Altered States partway through. I don't know quite how far along I made it, but it was after at least two "flying nine-eyed goat-headed crucified Christ-figure" scenes. We sat in the lobby while my dad finished watching it. 

I was five. 

Great movie. Try watching it on acid sometime. 

Its been a number of years since I've even been in a theater, but I've walked out of maybe five movies in my life. Every single time, the theater has either refunded the ticket price or gave me/us free passes.  /NoKaren

I think the last movie I walked out of was Gozilla 1985 (starring Raymond Burr)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_1985

I started dating my wife when at UT back when they would show films at various auditoriums all over campus.  Around our second or third date I told her I was going to see some very random foreign flick called Montenegro (I used to just to just go see  campus flicks to postpone studying).  Even though she didn't seem interested, because I was so good looking she came along.  If memory serves, and it doesn't really, half an hour into it there was a scene where somebody is operating some kind of motorized toy with a dildo attached driving it near and around a woman who is doing some kind of striptease.  (That's it, at the bottom of the picture - not sure why cut off.)

Anyway, she had enough, and stormed out of the auditorium and I followed, and then when I got outside she asked me to go back and get her purse, which she had forgotten.

519OuC-hx8L._CR0,73,354,354_UX175.jpg

47 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Its been a number of years since I've even been in a theater, but I've walked out of maybe five movies in my life. Every single time, the theater has either refunded the ticket price or gave me/us free passes.  /NoKaren

I think the last movie I walked out of was Gozilla 1985 (starring Raymond Burr)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_1985

Japanese version was much better than the significantly PC-ed up American version. True for both the original godzilla & 1985.

This reminds me of the thread (was it here or at the old site?) where the dude proudly proclaimed his willingness to walk out on a movie and demand his money back, and a lot of people shit on him for being an asshole. 

I’ve never walked out on a movie at the theatre, but I’ve given up on a few while watching at home. I should have quit Lucy in the Sky. I was watching it and thinking, “this is kinda shitty,” and only after an hour did I Google and see my opinion was the prevailing one. How the same guy made that movie and the Fargo TV adaptations is baffling. 

We all have our opinions, but Face/Off is at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, a ridiculous but entertaining pairing of an outlandish plot and Woo/Travolta/Cage. It’s probably been 23 years since I’ve seen it, but oddly enough, it was on last night (I didn’t watch). 

And to the guy who walked out on 33 1/3, you missed Phil Donahue fucking up the Oscars.

6 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I started dating my wife when at UT back when they would show films at various auditoriums all over campus.  Around our second or third date I told her I was going to see some very random foreign flick called Montenegro (I used to just to just go see  campus flicks to postpone studying).  Even though she didn't seem interested, because I was so good looking she came along.  If memory serves, and it doesn't really, half an hour into it there was a scene where somebody is operating some kind of motorized toy with a dildo attached driving it near and around a woman who is doing some kind of striptease.  (That's it, at the bottom of the picture - not sure why cut off.)

Anyway, she had enough, and stormed out of the auditorium and I followed, and then when I got outside she asked me to go back and get her purse, which she had forgotten.

519OuC-hx8L._CR0,73,354,354_UX175.jpg

and after another hour tantric emerged.   Thanks for giving us the back story on your user name.

12 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I walked out of Grown Ups 2 ( one of the first dates with the now wife) and Naked Gun 33 1/3. 

But I will occasionally go up to the movie theater just to buy a bucket of properly layered movie popcorn.  

Hold on. If you didn’t know what you were getting into with the third Naked Gun movie, that’s on you. 

I've never walked out of a movie but I've seen other people do it. 

The three I remember off the top of my head:

2007 watching "30 Days of Night" at the dollar movies when a few minutes into the movie when the vampires show up and eat some dude a very small child's voice could be heard saying "mommy what's that? Why did he do that?" followed shortly after by some dumb lady and 3 tiny kids walking out. 

Ted - now this wasn't a walk out but after the movie when everyone was leaving the people right in front of me were 3-4 12-15 year old girls and what was obviously their grandparents. Grandpa just sighs and says "well, that was a bad idea". 

2006 or 2007 - Bruno. At least half the theater walked out after the gay bicycle dildo ass fucking scene. About a third more walked out shortly after. At the end maybe 10 people were left. 

12 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

The only movie I ever walked out on was the Talented Mr. Ripley. I know others like it so I'm sure I'll get negged here. I hated it, and just couldn't keep watching. I've stopped watching some movies on movie channels, the last one being Her Smell, but I've also stayed and watched some really bad movies. 

That was a steaming pile of shit.

I'm guessing we aren't counting kid-induced walkouts? We walked out of Where the Wild Things Are because my 5 year-old son got scared 10-15 minutes from the end. Still haven't seen the end of that movie. I remember my parents taking me out of Return of the Jedi for a few minutes when I was three because I was scared of Jabba. Same thing with the Last Starfighter. But we finished both movies in the theater. Otherwise, I can't remember walking out. Now I've turned off tons of movies and see that as completely different.

I've never walked out of a movie theater.  I have turned off movies at home from time to time.  Most recently I couldn't make it through the first half hour of Uncut Gems.  It was just 30 minutes of dudes talking and shouting over each other... it was stressing me the fuck out so had to turn it off.

Edited by oSuJeff97

I've never walked out, but I have decided to take a nap.  The Thomas Crown Affair  (Brosnon not McQueen)  comes to mind immediately.  Not sure where that falls on the spectrum.  

Russo’s (or her body double’s) tits had me completely focused on that film hoping to see them one more time.

I walked out on Pennies From Heaven in the early 80’s. Only time I’ve ever done that.

51 minutes ago, Nole-4-Life said:

I did fall asleep during one of the Indiana Jones sequels.

Hopefully it was the shitty one.

45 minutes ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Even Sigourney Weaver looked good.

Hey now - Sigourney Weaver is a handsome woman.