Star Wars: Squadrons

MillerEP

18 hours ago, vtaenz said:

Is this just a port of the starships from Battlefront 2?

OR is this going to be more like X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance?

My guess is it's going to be a port of BF2 because EA are a bunch of bastards.  I would like a flight sim with ranks, progression, and actual missions but the closest Rogue Squadron is the last game to check even some of those boxes and that was 20+ years ago.

Edited by ulukinatme

It looks interesting but it seems like the combat may be super arcadey. I was a huge fan of X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance back in the day where you would manage your speed, your energy, your lasers, and your shields. That required you to manipulate a few things at a time and be good rather than say current iterations where you have a boost and just try to get your crosshairs on a target. 

But maybe we'll be surprised.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 3:34 PM, ulukinatme said:

My guess is it's going to be a port of BF2 because EA are a bunch of bastards.  I would like a flight sim with ranks, progression, and actual missions but the closest Rogue Squadron is the last game to check even some of those boxes and that was 20+ years ago.

So you want the old X-Wing/Tie-Fighter/Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe games.

I hope I'm wrong, and this looks so good, but it feels like somebody said "let's take MOBA into space!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So you want the old X-Wing/Tie-Fighter/Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe games.

I hope I'm wrong, and this looks so good, but it feels like somebody said "let's take MOBA into space!"

Would love another X-Wing/TIE Fighter.  TIE Fighter was my first exposure to Star Wars all together, played that before I had even seen the movies.

On 6/21/2020 at 4:58 PM, Xian said:

Yep.  I’m actually sad now. I want a true xwing/tie fighter sequel 

Yep.  Man, LucasArts was an amazing game studio.

I was going to joke about Star Citizen/Squadron 42, but holy fuck, they've been playing with over $300 million for two video games, and I was like "where is the money going" and then I saw Squadron 42's cinematic cast: The cast for Squadron 42 includes Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, Mark Strong, Liam Cunningham, Andy Serkis, John Rhys-Davies, Jack Huston and Ben Mendelsohn amongst others.

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2020 at 4:37 PM, ulukinatme said:

Damn you, EA!  Would have liked to see someone else release this.  My first dive into the Star Wars universe actually came from TIE Fighter on PC back in the day, didn't see the movies until much later.

On 6/21/2020 at 2:55 AM, ulukinatme said:

Would love another X-Wing/TIE Fighter.  TIE Fighter was my first exposure to Star Wars all together, played that before I had even seen the movies.

2HRh.gif

6 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

2HRh.gif

My parents weren't into Sci-Fi when we were growing up.  Back in the early 90s there was a lot less Star Wars exposure of course.  So, one weekend we visited my uncle and he had TIE Fighter on an old Windows 3.1 box.  I watched him play, then I stayed up that night and read this short story about a TIE Fighter pilot that was packaged with the game.  I ate that nerd shit up, got my uncle to let me borrow the disks without my parents knowing.  Our computer couldn't quite run it, so I had to save lawn mowing money to buy extra RAM and figured out how to upgrade our IBM at age 11.  Even then I still had to figure out how to use memmaker in DOS to get the game to launch, I was so proud when I finally got it running.  Dad caught me playing once on our home computer when he didn't want anything installed on there, I got grounded.  Eventually I got a boxed set of the original trilogy when the Special Edition was released years later.  Rest is history.

TL:DR:  I was manic for video games growing up, still am.  TIE Fighter on PC back in the day led me to nerd culture.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

I'm playing this on PC with a Saitek x52 HOTAS and a VR headset. Absolutely amazing, the best multiplayer game I've played in years.

Playing with VR feels like cheating when playing with people without VR, though. It gives you an enormous advantage when you're playing as the rebels as you can track them with your head as you orient your ship. The empire is disadvantaged though, I had never realized that the tie fighters in the movies would suck shit as a space ship. You can't see out the sides! It's like flying with horse blinders on.

To answer the questions above: This is definitely in the vein of X-Wing and Tie fighter, not, say, Battlefront or Rogue Squadron. I played all the classic Lucas Arts games as they came out when they were new, this is basically the latest installment in the X-Wing series. Yes, there is a multiplayer mode that is focused on attacking fleets in raids that is MOBA like, but there is also straight up classic deathmatch mode ala X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. The single player campaign is also very similar to the style of those games, although with much more cinematic flair. Almost more like Wing Commander than the original X-Wing in single player mode.

Edited by BigXII
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm playing on Xbox and am really enjoying it. There are games where I get completely destroyed, probably because I'm playing against some PC VR players, and then some other games where my team dominates the other team because we actually work together and call out enemies and have one player use ion lasers to disable then another player follow them up to kill them.

I tried searching for only xbox players once and after 2 minutes I gave up, couldn't find enough players to fill a match. So, went back to crossplay and found a match within seconds. I guess there's a lot more PC players than xbox players right now.

6 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

There are games where I get completely destroyed, probably because I'm playing against some PC VR players

If you play as the empire, VR really doesn't give you much of an advantage though because the design of the tie fighters takes away the greatest strength of VR -- the ability to look around. Playing as a tie fighter in VR is basically the same thing as playing on a normal screen.

The A-wing, however, has the single biggest advantage of any ship when you play in VR. It has essentially zero cock pit to obstruct your view. You never, ever lose enemies out of sight with the A-wing.

2 hours ago, BigXII said:

Wound up digging this back out because I'm enjoying squadrons so much. It's like 20 floppy disks lol:

EkE5f69XsAMZiXt?format=jpg&name=large

I celebrate Lawrence Holland's entire catalog at LucasArts, going back to my favorite - Secrete Weapons of the Luftwaffe.  Sad that Secret Weapons Over Normandy was his last title.

People have done a lot with LucasArts adventure stuff.  Would love to have seen their flight/space sims get the high-resolution treatment and released on platforms like iPads/tablets.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I celebrate Lawrence Holland's entire catalog at LucasArts, going back to my favorite - Secrete Weapons of the Luftwaffe.  Sad that Secret Weapons Over Normandy was his last title.

People have done a lot with LucasArts adventure stuff.  Would love to have seen their flight/space sims get the high-resolution treatment and released on platforms like iPads/tablets.

Pretty much everything LucasArts made for a period was amazing. I don't even like star wars, I'm not really a star wars fan. I didn't watch any of the new movies and don't have strong opinions about the prequels. I just like the games. Their first person shooters during that era were amazing as well, they rivaled the top stuff from id at the time.

One of the best studios to ever exist. It's a huge shame Disney ate them up and they haven't really done anything since.

People shit on George Lucas all the time, but the guy was great to the video game world. One of the first people on the planet to really explore what you could do with video games as a real medium. How many other movie producers were founding video game studios in 1979?

Edited by BigXII

3 minutes ago, BigXII said:

Pretty much everything LucasArts made for a period was amazing. I don't even like star wars, I'm not really a star wars fan. I didn't watch any of the new movies and don't have strong opinions about the prequels. I just like the games. Their first person shooters during that era were amazing as well, they rivaled the top stuff from id at the time.

One of the best studios to ever exist. It's a huge shame Disney ate them up and they haven't really done anything since.

People shit on George Lucas all the time, but the guy was great to the video game world. One of the first people on the planet to really explore what you could do with video games as a real medium. How many other movie producers were founding video game studios in 1979?

They had a stretch with their adventure stuff, that rivaled Sierra at their peak.

I don't really blame Disney - LucasArts was pretty much gutted by/during 2010 (a lot of layoffs, including a friend of mine), but they had been on a fairly steady decline before then.  I don't know if it was George's decision to do mostly SW titles during that time up to around 2010, but it was not helping.

And it wasn't just video games - Lucas gave us Pixar.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They had a stretch with their adventure stuff, that rivaled Sierra at their peak.

I don't really blame Disney - LucasArts was pretty much gutted by/during 2010 (a lot of layoffs, including a friend of mine), but they had been on a fairly steady decline before then.  I don't know if it was George's decision to do mostly SW titles during that time up to around 2010, but it was not helping.

And it wasn't just video games - Lucas gave us Pixar.

And ILM. As far as I'm concerned he isn't celebrated enough. He advanced story telling in so many ways.

I'm a graphics programmer by profession. I do very low level stuff. I've also done work with mocap. George Lucas' influence is all over the industry.

Edited by BigXII

40 minutes ago, BigXII said:

Preach Brother, I played every Lucas Arts and Sierra game in the 80's, early 90's, good times.

Also wanted to say I appreciate a game from EA that you buy once and that's that. No MTX, no DLC, no season pass, no reoccurring charges. Just a single player campaign, and online mode out of the box. Very old school design. I like that it's cheaper than most games too.

On 10/11/2020 at 7:15 PM, BNB said:

Preach Brother, I played every Lucas Arts and Sierra game in the 80's, early 90's, good times.

Those games defined my childhood. Space Quest to this day is still my favorite series. This also just arrived at my house this week: https://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tales-Happy-Endings-Line-ebook/dp/B08KG2XLMR

• Hook 'Em 1

Police Quest, Space Quests, Kings Quest, I got all of them off the BBS back in the day...

Leisure Suit Larry...  There was the verification, I would yell out the questions to my parents downstairs and they would tell me. Lol.  They had no Idea what I was doing, but you there were like 5 questions you had to answer to start playing that were about things a kid wouldn't know.  

Edited by BNB
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

When they showed Roberta Williams in that new Netflix documentary on videogames I knew who it was before they even said, although it's been about 30 years. I grew up hooked on the King's Quest games, as well as Space Quest.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

I love this game. Just wish I had more time to play it. I play with a joystick and remapped the controls on the keyboard to fit around WASD. W and S are throttle up and throttle down, Q E R are shields front, back, centered. A and D are look left and right, V is look up. F is targeting and the rest is handled by the buttons on the joystick. I swapped the roll and yaw because they had roll being the rudder swivel on the joystick and it threw me off way too much. I really recommend setting up your controls this way if you are used to FPS on MKB.

On 10/18/2020 at 6:41 AM, iodeac said:

When they showed Roberta Williams in that new Netflix documentary on videogames I knew who it was before they even said, although it's been about 30 years. I grew up hooked on the King's Quest games, as well as Space Quest.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

You should look into her husband's new book about the rise and fall of Sierra from the inside. I linked it in my post above, pretty good so far.

On 10/18/2020 at 6:41 AM, iodeac said:

I had a thing for Christy Marx back in the 80s/90s.  And she had worked on the G I Joe animated series back in the 80s, so she had that going for her.  I liked her Conquest games she did for Sierra.

Going off the rails a bit here, but in thinking about those old LucasArts games, particularly the X-Wing and Tie Fighter, but it applies to all of the LA and Sierra and other companies' games back then, I think that because we weren't bombarded on the internet with videos/play-throughs/ads/etc., there was something really magical about getting those games.

We'd see them mentioned in a magazine every now and then, either a blurb about them coming out later this year, or an interview, or even an ad, but that was about it.  We'd see the release date on a little poster in Babbages or EB or whatever.

There was just something really awesome about having so little to go on, that the bar wasn't raised too high or too low, outside of what we expected from a title being a LucasArts or Sierra title or whatever.

If you all liked those old adventure-style games, check out https://adventuregamers.com they do a really good job of tracking old and new adventure games.

Sorry for the derail.  But I just don't know that if I plopped a box with the new Star Wars game in my son's lap, that he'd be as excited as I was when I got X-Wing or Tie Fighter or whatever, because he's already been exposed to play-throughs.

Already $10 off at Amazon for a Steam code.  Seems odd to be discounted already, but there are no expansions planned, just a few cosmetic things and bug fixes.

I may pick it up. I really want to play it but I'm not sure if I will enjoy it as much without HOTAS and I'm not sure I want to make that investment on something I may not use a whole lot.

Single player is a bit short, but it's not really meant to be fully played single player. I think the campaign is maybe 8 hours. It was fun, but I think they're banking on it being a multiplayer game. It's basically Battlefront 2, but in Space. If you liked the Battlefront games, or an old X-Wing v Tie fan, then you'd probably enjoy this game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

$10 off on steam, worth $30?  i saw someone complaining elsewhere that the single player was too short

It's worth $30.  You're not getting all of the little cut-scenes/world building from the original Larry Holland X-Wing/Tie Fighter games, and the focus is multi-player.

$40 stretching it, $50 definitely not, which is why they did $40.

They are still doing maintenance, adding little cosmetic things, and will be for a while (forgot what the game engine is, but it's in-house and they use it for other stuff).  I've seen comments on reddit that it's done well enough sales-wise, that they are looking at release some additional content or an expansion, but it needs approval from The Mouse.

• Hook 'Em 1

Picked up the game and am enjoying it so far but I am going to need HOTAS bad. The way they do their mouse control (even with me tinkering with it) is going to take a long while for me to get used to and I'm not sure I'll get comfortable with it.

I'm leaning toward the mid level Thrustmaster offering, but I'm hesitant to drop that much money on HOTAS if I'm not playing a whole lot of sims. That and I'm pretty averse to having extra peripherals. I'm not sure if I wouldn't be better off just hooking up an XBOX controller to my PC. Or, if it only makes sense if I want to get really competitive in multiplayer.