2021 S JD Coffey

texifornia

The heady safety from Kennedale is in the boat. Hook 'em!

https://247sports.com/player/jd-coffey-46050809/

How he fits at Texas: Coffey is currently a pretty versatile player in high school whose film tends to consist largely of two types of plays. The first type shows off some range and good positioning in the deep field, breaking up some passes and often separating the receiver from the ball like an old school safety. In the second style he’s helping to fit the run in the box where he shows a real knack for avoiding the wash and real stopping power when he hits ballcarriers. His awareness and skill deep is real but his range is a bit limited. He’s going to project best as a box safety or spur linebacker who fills out his frame and can play at 210+.  He seems at his best moving downhill rather than laterally, so boundary safety or will linebacker (if he can grow into it) might be his best projections down the line. He’s remarkably similar to current safety Chris Brown but has the frame to get bigger than Brown’s 5-foot-11, 190. – Ian Boyd

https://insidetexas.com/jd-coffey-joins-texas-truth21-class/

BrilliantLikableBluefintuna-small.gif

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

A few more evals:

“Above average frame relative to projected position. Adequate height with space to add good weight to frame. Versatile safety. Capable of roaming chunks of territory as a center fielder. Shows free safety awareness and ballhawking ability with strong safety/spacebacker frame potential. Tracks deep throws well. Above average ball skills. Great production early in high school career. Willing to mix it up against the run and packs a punch upon arrival. Can provide the big hit. Generally consistent as a tackler. Provides value as potential return game option (three TD's as a junior). Plays fast enough but can improve top-end speed. Junior track time in the 200 supports that (23.37). Limited track times and no testing numbers result in lack of full athletic context. Lean, athletic build will need to continue adding bulk to maximize strength at the next level. Passing game production dropped off in junior year. Flat-out football player who projects to high-major level where he could become multi-year starter and move around the secondary depending on personnel.”

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-JD-Coffey-commitment-Kennedale-Texas-Longhorns-Tom-Herman-Chris-Ash-148176779/

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It sucks to not have any testing numbers this offseason. Coffey’s the exact kind of guy you’d want numbers for. He seems athletically limited on tape and his posted track times aren’t great. However, he also shows really good football instincts and a high level of production on the field, which can make up for limited athleticism. He seems like a high-floor, low-ceiling guy, and he sets a good baseline for the safety group in this class.

Hopefully Yancy can get very ounce of athletic development out of him. If his athleticism ends up better than expected, then he could be a really, really good player. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

Mike Roach: Relationships and fit sold Coffey on Texas

JD Coffey has been ready to commit for a while. The four-star safety from Kennedale (Texas) almost chose the Longhorns last summer. After wholesale staff changes on both sides of the ball, Coffey re-initiated a contact with the Texas staff, and the decision remained the same at the end of the day. “It feels like home,” Coffey said. “I have a great relationship with most of the coaches on defense and I feel like I fit in best in that system.”

Chris Ash had to figure out who his safeties were going to be when he got to Texas. Coffey wasn’t sure where things stood between him and the Longhorns at the time, but the two grew close during the COVID-19 pandemic. Coffey said he grew to appreciate coach Ash and heard great feedback from a few players at Texas. “Coach Ash came kind of late,” he said. “I didn’t know how it was going to start off but after a bunch of Zoom calls and FaceTime calls I realized he’s a great dude. I’ve heard it from some of the players up there right now. Me and coach Ash are real cool and I can’t wait to be coached by him.”

Coffey actually informed the staff a few weeks ago before filming his commitment video. The reaction from the coaching staff let him know he made the right decision. “They were all happy,” he said. “They all started jumping and screaming. It was really exciting.”

Coffey chose to make his commitment with fellow four-star defensive back Ishmael Ibraheem. Coffey said the two have been close since they entered high school, and they wanted to keep that relationship going at the next level. “Me and Ish have been boys since ninth grade,” he said. “We’ve been playing since ninth grade and we didn’t want to stop now. I feel like we’re really a dynamic duo and we’re on the field locking stuff down, so we wanted to go together.”

Coffey was dead set on taking visits before making his decision, but quarantine stopped that from happening. Coffey said he might choose to take some visits if they open up, but he’s happy with his commitment and sure that Texas is the right place for him. “If it opens up, I might,” he said. “It just depends on how I feel, but as of right now I’m not taking anymore.”

Coffey was recruited heavily by a few of the other commits in the class. Coffey has been part of their group chat for a few months and he’s formed a strong bond with all of them. “I talk to them all the time,” he said. “We’ve got a little group chat. They are really excited for me and we are ready to get this going.” At 6-feet, 180 pounds, Coffey is ranked as the No, 7 safety in the nation and No. 29 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

His father was a great athlete in high school. One of the best WR/RBs I’ve ever seen. He was at Arlington HS. He was 3 years older than me. My oldest brother played with him.

Later on, Johnny spent a significant amount of time locked up and most likely missed the majority of JD’s upbringing. Good to see this because Johnny wasted a lot of talent. Johnny used to absolutely fly on that turf at UTArlington Stadium in the 90s.

• 2 weeks later...

JD Coffey spoke with Steve Sarkisian tonight. The two talked briefly, but I was told there wasn’t much new information given to Coffey. Sarkisian is deep in preparation for the national championship game. Sarkisian reached out to introduce himself, but he couldn’t yet tell Coffey much about how the staff might play out. Sarkisian reiterated that he had one game to prepare for and then he would worry about the next step.

A source I spoke with on the Bama side said that while Saban is very supportive of his assistants moving on, he wants everyone locked in on the final. 

The last time Saban had a coordinator hired before the national championship, it was Mike Locksley heading to Maryland. Whether or not there was a lack of focus, Bama got smacked by Clemson 44-16. 

We’ve heard about staff movement already today and still anticipate some new names being brought on this week, but this indicates the staff may come together after next Monday’s game.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That kid needs to chill the fuck out. Still plenty of time to make a decision on what you want to do. 

Interesting that Chang has been on the calls - I think Gerry had said he was gone or will be shortly. 

I don't have a subscription, but he hasn't indicated anything about this on his twitter feed.  I hope that in addition to Carrington that Chang and Langi are retained.

• Hook 'Em 1