2021 S JD Coffey

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That kid needs to chill the fuck out. Still plenty of time to make a decision on what you want to do. 

Interesting that Chang has been on the calls - I think Gerry had said he was gone or will be shortly. 

Kids today live in microseconds.  A week for them is going to be excruciating.  Play some Call of Duty, work out, see the girlfriend or fap a few times and eat a few meals.  

I forget they are enrolling already. That has to be pretty gut wrenching to blindly go to a new school without any relationships or built trust with who you are to be developing under for foreseeably the next four years of your life.  This is supposed to be an extension of family who they may not know the names of when classes begin.  All of these guys are program men at this point and true Longhorns.  I fully sympathize with their hesitations and wtfness. 

However, the UT is one strong badge that has a high bar to maintain, not just a winning one but come to compete with the best bar.  And you'll have contacts, administrators and university program and academic resources second to none, which will stay with you for your whole lifetime and anywhere you go.  That's a hell of a foundation and network to help you compete in life.  Use it.    

• Hook 'Em 3

Coffey has very legitimate NFL aspirations. Yes, these kids commit to a university not a coach but there's a huge difference between committing to a guy in Ash that is a good DC and an excellent position coach, a clear conduit to the NFL, and committing to an incoming HC who is an offensive guy that hasn't made a single staff hire. A guy in Sarkisian whose first choice for DC at his first gig (Nick Holt) is currently coaching in Italy. No relationships. No idea who the DC, position coach, or S&C is going to be.

If you don't understand his hesitation, I don't know what to tell you. 

8 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I forget they are enrolling already. That has to be pretty gut wrenching to blindly go to a new school without any relationships or built trust with who you are to be developing under for foreseeably the next four years of your life.  This is supposed to be an extension of family who they may not know the names of when classes begin.  All of these guys are program men at this point and true Longhorns.  I fully sympathize with their hesitations and wtfness. 

Perfectly stated. 

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Coffey has very legitimate NFL aspirations. Yes, these kids commit to a university not a coach but there's a huge difference between committing to a guy in Ash that is a good DC and an excellent position coach, a clear conduit to the NFL, and committing to an incoming HC who is an offensive guy that hasn't made a single staff hire. A guy in Sarkisian whose first choice for DC at his first gig (Nick Holt) is currently coaching in Italy. No relationships. No idea who the DC, position coach, or S&C is going to be.

If you don't understand his hesitation, I don't know what to tell you. 

Perfectly stated. 

Lets add a little context to that - he was the head coach at Idaho and a Co-DC at USC before Sarkisian hired him to run the defense at Washington.  He later got hired by Brohm at Purdue to run his defense.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Lets add a little context to that - he was the head coach at Idaho and a Co-DC at USC before Sarkisian hired him to run the defense at Washington.  He later got hired by Brohm at Purdue to run his defense.

Do you think opposing coaches are going to help put it into that more rosy context? Do you think that it matters? Do you think that Holt's 5-18 record as HC at Idaho helps at all? Look, I get that everyone wants to put a glossy new shine on the hire but I have genuine concerns about Sark's previous runs and I'm not counting on him to turn me into an NFL draft pick. 

I'm certain that my version is far rosier than how it has been presented to his parents, his coaches, his trainers since Sark's hire was made by several different coaching staffs. 

• 2 weeks later...