2021 CB Ishmael Ibraheem

texifornia

Valai lands his white whale, the only bluechip cover corner in Texas for the cycle. Hook 'em!

( @Burt Macklin, between this writeup and Barron's, does IT ever think a corner commit will stick at CB?)

How he fits at Texas: Ibraheem is a bigger cornerback who’s already 6-1, 175 heading into his senior season. Dallas Kimball often uses him in a 2-read defensive scheme where he’s playing zone and closing on runs and throws to the flat. Ibraheem is really solid closing on the ball and occasionally flips his hips and carries some routes but he’s not playing a lot of press-man coverage. Projecting him to cornerback at Texas is difficult and it’s unclear if he’s going to grow into a fast, bump and run corner or if his frame and effective eyes will end up moving him inside to nickel or safety. He’s a good tackler with a lot of positive attributes that should translate somewhere in the secondary.

https://insidetexas.com/2021-cornerback-ishmael-ibraheem-chooses-texas/

https://247sports.com/player/ishmael-ibraheem-46059429/

InfatuatedBoilingKillerwhale-size_restri

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

A few more evals:

“Longer-framed cornerback with good frame potential. Long-armed and long-legged with good height and length relative to build. Narrow through the core but owns space to add bulk. Shows encouraging straight-line top-end speed on tape. Does a good job tracking deep balls. Flashes above average body control when going up to contest balls. Long arms help with catch-point disruption. Timing and instincts are promising. Needs to fill out frame and add strength. Must add pop behind pads in his tackle power. Willing to mix it up as a tackler but can get taken for a ride. Improving fluidity always a concern for tall, long corners. Can improve ball skills. High-major cornerback prospect with terrific build for the position. Raw but owns great physical traits that could give him an NFL Draft ceiling.”

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Ishmael-Ibraheem-commitment-Tom-Herman-Jay-Valai-Jd-Coffey-Dallas-Kimball-148177217/

(Mike Roach) Coach's take: Kimball DC Charles Butler on Ishmael Ibraheem

Texas landed a commitment from Ishmael Ibraheem today. The four-star cornerback from Dallas Kimball has one of the highest ceilings at the position. Horns247 spoke with Kimball defensive coordinator Charles Butler to get a good feel for what makes Ibraheem a special prospect. “Work ethic,” Butler said. “It’s his commitment to the game and his determination to be one of the best in the state, if not the nation.”

Ibraheem originally played wide receiver and had never played cornerback. He made the transition two years ago, and Butler said he’s seen a ton of growth in his feel for the game during that time. “His feel for the game,” he said. “When we got him, he was a receiver. We moved him over to the corner. He’s kind of new to the position, so every year he’s been growing as far as his knowledge and feel for the game.”

Ibraheem is quiet by nature. He’s not going to be a vocal force in the locker room, but Butler said he sets the example daily by the way he goes about his business. “He leads by example,” he said. “The way he works in practice and finishes his drills, it shows the younger guys how to compete and work.” Texas has been recruiting Ibraheem hard since the previous staff offered him last summer. Butler said the staff was always consistent and that went a long way to landing him.

“They did a pretty good job,” Butler said. “They showed up frequently and had a lot of calls. They just were around a lot. They were around the kid and around us as a staff.”

41 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Valai lands his white whale, the only bluechip cover corner in Texas for the cycle. Hook 'em!

( @Burt Macklin, between this writeup and Barron's, does IT ever think a corner commit will stick at CB?)

https://insidetexas.com/2021-cornerback-ishmael-ibraheem-chooses-texas/

https://247sports.com/player/ishmael-ibraheem-46059429/

InfatuatedBoilingKillerwhale-size_restri

That has to be Boyd. All the tell-tale signs are there. Spends more time talking about the scheme the HS team used than the actual player, absolutely 0 projection of his skill set, only comments on what he saw him do on film as if that’s all he’s capable of. Overthinking to the point of moving a pure outside CB prospect, who’s not a great tackler and has a slight frame, to safety or nickel. 

Everything I’ve seen besides this one (likely Boyd) writeup says he’s a pure outside CB projection. No chance we move him inside. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 5

Now I had to click the link :: 

WTF is this shit? 

Projecting him to cornerback at Texas is difficult and it’s unclear if he’s going to grow into a fast, bump and run corner or if his frame and effective eyes will end up moving him inside to nickel or safety.

This is fucking terrible and incredibly lazy. It's not like it's been hard to see Texas Flex play 7 on 7 at any point and natural/innate coverage skills are one of the few things that you can glean from 7on7. I mean, FFS there's enough Pylon 7 on 7 coverage alone to see him playing in man, even if you were too lazy to go out there and actually cover the event. 

It does beg the question, if one single team has a 2021 DB group of Ish, Harmon, Coffey, Mukuba, Lowery and you haven't seen them in person, how the fuck do you consider yourself a source for recruiting information? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It does beg the question, if one single team has a 2021 DB group of Ish, Harmon, Coffey, Mukuba, Lowery and you haven't seen them in person, how the fuck do you consider yourself a source for recruiting information? 

By the way, LSU is now showing interest in Lowery 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Now I had to click the link :: 

WTF is this shit? 

This is fucking terrible and incredibly lazy. It's not like it's been hard to see Texas Flex play 7 on 7 at any point and natural/innate coverage skills are one of the few things that you can glean from 7on7. I mean, FFS there's enough Pylon 7 on 7 coverage alone to see him playing in man, even if you were too lazy to go out there and actually cover the event. 

Ian Boyd trying to cover recruiting is an absolute train wreck. On top of just being plain bad at recruiting evals, he lives in MI, so he never sees guys live and only watches their posted hudl. I have no idea why Nahlin and Co ask him to do anything related to recruiting. Just let him stay in his basement in a state of scheme-induced euphoria and let him pump out 5,000 of the most boring words imaginable on that week’s matchup. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

By the way, LSU is now showing interest in Lowery 

they aren't going to be alone. Patterson better crank up the fucking heat on this kid soon if he wants to land anyone that can play man in this class. I'm stunned that Aranda didn't make Lowery a priority, esp after the Barron deal - it's like Aranda wanted to reset the board on D and decided to sit out 2021 or something. If I was Ash, I would be working Cisco Caston behind the scenes and keeping him hot because I think he's got a chance to roll in the S/LB hybrid tweener spot and with his frame and speed, yeah I'd keep him warm.  

• Like 1

5f3b8-homepage.jpg?w=336&h=252

2A6JM2A-1-web_crop.jpg?width=600&height=

The theme is obscure literary figures.

I've read the first one.  Movies have popularized the story collection containing the second character, but not the particular stories with this character (who is also based on a real person).

Definitely my worst work yet.  But the obvious choice was too obvious.

Edited by JBJ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...