My Goddamn Cellphone Doesnt Work

cmontexas

My data is still intermittently cutting out or slowing to a crawl. I'm technically on Sprint (integrating with Tmobile) and haven't had any issues until last week when this started up. The real shitshow on service started on Sunday but ground to a halt Monday afternoon. ymmv

The more I think about this, the more it doesn't add up. The maintenance window for network changes is usually the middle off the night with the least amount of traffic. That way if you bork something, not many people know about it. The outage started in the middle of the day. No way they were making a network change. Something catastrophically broke.

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

My data is still intermittently cutting out or slowing to a crawl. I'm technically on Sprint (integrating with Tmobile) and haven't had any issues until last week when this started up. The real shitshow on service started on Sunday but ground to a halt Monday afternoon. ymmv

Re the Sprint network, I wondered how TMO is going to integrate Sprint into the TMO network. The BIG issue is that Sprint legacy network is CDMA and TMO's is GSM. Next Gen stuff is all IP based so that doesn't present as big of an issue. Sprint's CDMA network coverage is critical for the rural coverage. 4G is usually only in major metro areas and even there CDMA is required to cover dead spots. Sprint simply has not had the capital for 15+ years to expand their 4G coverage beyond major metro areas. My thinking of the shitty coverage is TMO maybe slowly killing the CDMA towers to where you are only on 4G which has a more limited coverage.

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The more I think about this, the more it doesn't add up. The maintenance window for network changes is usually the middle off the night with the least amount of traffic. That way if you bork something, not many people know about it. The outage started in the middle of the day. No way they were making a network change. Something catastrophically broke.

Re the Sprint network, I wondered how TMO is going to integrate Sprint into the TMO network. The BIG issue is that Sprint legacy network is CDMA and TMO's is GSM. Next Gen stuff is all IP based so that doesn't present as big of an issue. Sprint's CDMA network coverage is critical for the rural coverage. 4G is usually only in major metro areas and even there CDMA is required to cover dead spots. Sprint simply has not had the capital for 15+ years to expand their 4G coverage beyond major metro areas. My thinking of the shitty coverage is TMO maybe slowly killing the CDMA towers to where you are only on 4G which has a more limited coverage.

There does appear to be a time of day factor in play with my service issues over the last week (other than Sunday/Monday) come to think of it. The actually periodic outages seem to start at night around 11pm onward and then are still present in the morning until 8am, so maybe that's what is going on.

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

There does appear to be a time of day factor in play with my service issues over the last week (other than Sunday/Monday) come to think of it. The actually periodic outages seem to start at night around 11pm onward and then are still present in the morning until 8am, so maybe that's what is going on.

Yep, maintenance windows usually start around 11PM to 6 or 7AM. That's TMO "merging" the networks, and by merging I mean killing the CDMA network.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

It's all these 5G microchips that everyone's gotten lately with their vaccine doses that's ducking everything up.

I set my vaccine to data roam and ended up on peyote at Big Bend last week.  It was fucking awesome.  I need to get a new phone though, is there any vast difference between an 11 & 12 ipHone?  I'm looking at the 11 pro or 12 mini because they're the smallest ones on the market.  I use cell phones for basically phone calls and taking photos of my two daughters.  Music storage is also important I guess.  but I don't watch shows, movies, no gaming, no social media, no apps really, web browsing when I'm shitting or stuck in line---that's about it.  

6 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Today all of the sudden I can't use my yahoo mail app. No clue why. It just goes to a blank white screen 

Googled and found out the yahoo mail app has been down since early this morning and got the instructions for the fix, which was just to download an app called android system webview

This is from Textra, but should apply:

"VERY IMPORTANT: Google are rolling out (most likely a mistake) a change which causes many apps to crash, including Gmail and Textra. It's being reported all over social media.

So, if Textra is crashing for you, open the Play Store app, search for "Android System WebView" and tap Uninstall. This will force your phone to use the previous WebView version which does not cause the crashing.

OR if the above is not present, do Android Settings > Apps > Chrome > Uninstall Updates."

• Like 1

I set my vaccine to data roam and ended up on peyote at Big Bend last week.  It was fucking awesome.  I need to get a new phone though, is there any vast difference between an 11 & 12 ipHone?  I'm looking at the 11 pro or 12 mini because they're the smallest ones on the market.  I use cell phones for basically phone calls and taking photos of my two daughters.  Music storage is also important I guess.  but I don't watch shows, movies, no gaming, no social media, no apps really, web browsing when I'm shitting or stuck in line---that's about it.  
2 daughters huh?

On 3/23/2021 at 5:54 PM, Lobo said:

i have the 12 mini. great form factor, battery life sucks if you actually use it. i have many other  phones that i rotate on a weekly basis. if this were my one and only phone, i would be weary of using this long term. battery sucks and doing anythign on the phone isn't great because the screen is so small.

the biggest difference between the 11 and the 12 is the camera. I'd argue that to non techies or photography nuts, most people won't know the difference. however, most companies are running specials on the 12 so it may actually be much cheaper (out of pocket) than an 11.

Shit, I just noticed that...20-25% less battery power in a 12-mini versus 11 pro.  Thanks for the reminder, I was busy checking out other features info on them both and just assumed the battery was basically comparable on either.  Not the case.