Bostock vs Clayton County

UTDD

I know this might not be the most pressing news right now with everything else happening, but I think this is a fairly significant holding on its own and also in terms of who wrote the opinion.  Probably not a shock to some legal scholars, but it's certainly newsworthy in most normal news cycles I would think.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/19pdf/17-1618_hfci.pdf

22 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

My hot take is that I'm not reading a 70-page opinion when I need only read the opening paragraph.

Yeah, it’s such an obviously correct ruling it doesn’t really need much analysis. Some things are actually really simple. It’s shocking because we expect this SCOTUS to do the wrong thing for the worst reasons on every social hot button issue, but the law is more than clear. Of course, this makes it even funnier that Alito wrote 100+ pages ranting about how it wasn’t the legislature’s intent and how he thinks gays and transgendered people are fuckin gross.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

“We do not hesitate today to recognize a consequence of that legislative choice: An employer who fires and individual merely for being gay or transgender defies the law.”

I read this to my girlfriend that day and broke down crying - and I don’t cry a lot anymore - when I was half way through the word defies. That word - defy - has been used a lot about people like me, and people like her. She’s seen a lot more victories and probably a lot more defeats having been out since the early 80s. But we’ve both had the word defy used against us more than we can count. I’ve been told I defy God’s will, God’s law, and to see the Supreme Court, led by a conservative Justice use that word in my defense was nothing short of a miracle.

On this site especially I try to show an alternative picture to what I saw myself to be growing up. All I had was Jerry Springer and other day time TV, or Miller Lite commercials for ladies night and bearded “ladies” in dresses trying to fool the door man. My biggest insecurity sticking around this place was fear of being perceived as an imposter. Thankfully almost all of you put up with my nonsense. And it doesn’t go unnoticed.

This is a big deal. I’m normal. I’m not a freak. I don’t defy any laws. And to be told by the Supreme Court for the first time I’m aware of that I’m right, I don’t defy the law - but the people who stand against me do - is a very big deal.

I didn’t know I needed this as much as I did. And my brothers and sisters need it even more.

#BlackTransLivesMatter

• Like 4