Manny Acho -- "Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man"

LTtxfan

Manny generally bugs me, but what he is doing is most important. People need to stop shouting at each other and listen to each other. Rarely are people all one way or all the other. Most people's views and opinions are nuanced, and it's really easy to dismiss and smear the other side instead of hearing them out. In the end, people can often still agree to disagree, but most of the time they'll realize the other side of the conversation isn't necessarily evil. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Manny generally bugs me, but what he is doing is most important. People need to stop shouting at each other and listen to each other. Rarely are people all one way or all the other. Most people's views and opinions are nuanced, and it's really easy to dismiss and smear the other side instead of hearing them out. In the end, people can often still agree to disagree, but most of the time they'll realize the other side of the conversation isn't necessarily evil. 

Ive been saying that for years now.  Nuance almost seems completely lost in today's society at least in the way we listen.

Edited by Apex73

22 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Ive been saying that for years now.  Nuance almost seems completely lost in today's society at least in the way we listen.

My position on this is more...nuanced. Plenty of great conversations are had in today's society but for political purposes it is easier to just use strawmen and charicatures...which is probably the same as it ever was. But, of course, it is almost impossible to have a real conversation on Twitter. It seems almost designed to make such discussions very difficult and unfortunately that seems to be a primary platform for public discourse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

My position on this is more...nuanced. Plenty of great conversations are had in today's society but for political purposes it is easier to just use strawmen and charicatures...which is probably the same as it ever was. But, of course, it is almost impossible to have a real conversation on Twitter. It seems almost designed to make such discussions very difficult and unfortunately that seems to be a primary platform for public discourse.

Yea twitter's main problem is it's limited amount of caricatures allows people to generalize what someone says and take it completely out of context very easily.

37 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I had a professor say once that Politics Washington DC is Hollywood for ugly people. When you think of it through that lens the dramatics and extreme positions make more sense.

There are lots of pretty people in politics, but Washington DC as a whole is not necessarily all that attractive. The saying uses "Washington DC", though sometimes it is shortened to "Washington" or "DC".

Yes, there are the same power games and sexual predators, and narcissists, and "casting couches", and closeted hypocrites, and money launderers, and shady accounting practices, and exclusive gatherings, and propaganda, and...

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

There are lots of pretty people in politics, but Washington DC as a whole is not necessarily all that attractive. The saying uses "Washington DC", though sometimes it is shortened to "Washington" or "DC".

Yes, there are the same power games and sexual predators, and narcissists, and "casting couches", and closeted hypocrites, and money launderers, and shady accounting practices, and exclusive gatherings, and propaganda, and...

I would make an argument that WDC is the most attractive if you make a team. I live in Austin and local politics here are very attractive to some. To others, not so much. 

1 hour ago, Apex73 said:

Yea twitter's main problem is it's limited amount of caricatures allows people to generalize what someone says and take it completely out of context very easily.

Sadly, there are UNLIMITED caricatures on Twitter, including bots.  (Yes, I know you meant characters, and I totally agree with your point.)

Had a terrible, terrible convo with my (black) warehouse manager today. Another (white) guy in the factory slings racial slurs that I didn't know about. Mainly because the WH manager gets his shit done and wants no office politics. I really lost my cool for the 1st time in 15 years over it with the white dude. Not fired, but he won't make it to next Friday likely. He's at the end of the plank.

These videos from OP are great. I have a follow up visit in dallas at the doc for my rotator cuff surgery a couple weeks ago on Monday, but Tuesday I plan on sitting down with my WH manager one on one to see what all has been said and how I can and will fix it. Bit of a wake up call on my part.

• Like 4

The cynic in me sees these videos as Acho trying to build his brand post ESPN, and he was a big time douche when on ESPN. I do enjoy them, I think the conversations are real, and maybe out of his own self-promotion common ground can be found with a path forward being created.

The only real complaint I have is the questions and answers have the depth of a kiddie pool, but maybe that is where the conversation needs to start.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

The funny thing is, most people are what I call "people of good will" and are perfectly willing to sit down with one another and have these type of conversations.  But for fear of awkwardness or something, it rarely happens.

A facsimile of it sometimes -- sometimes -- happens on here.

• Like 1

The cynic in me sees these videos as Acho trying to build his brand post ESPN, and he was a big time douche when on ESPN. I do enjoy them, I think the conversations are real, and maybe out of his own self-promotion common ground can be found with a path forward being created.
The only real complaint I have is the questions and answers have the depth of a kiddie pool, but maybe that is where the conversation needs to start.

He was the wrong personality for that forum and that group.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

The average white guy wouldn’t push the envelope and wouldn’t have the following that MM and Gaineses do. However you raise a good point; why not talk to white conservative celebrities that would?  Shapiro, Ingraham, etc.  Would that be dumb?  I don’t know. 

Of course it would be dumb for Acho. He's a smart guy, but Shapiro would destroy him if it got into a serious discussion and Acho started pushing back on Ben's points. Ingraham hovers the line too much for even me.

Look, I’m a fan of McConaughey. I appreciate everything he does for his alma mater, and think that he usually comes off as a thoughtful genuine person, and for the most part is anti-Hollywood. And good for him to be part of this greater conversation.

But he looked like a doofus in this. He seemed to be trying too hard, like a faux intellectual. And his “heard” responses were annoying if not condescending. I actually like Acho better in this.

The average white guy wouldn’t push the envelope and wouldn’t have the following that MM and Gaineses do. However you raise a good point; why not talk to white conservative celebrities that would?  Shapiro, Ingraham, etc.  Would that be dumb?  I don’t know. 

Not sure about that. You start talking to the AWGA about white privilege and you are going need something stronger than brow beating and shame. He’s going to have some strong opinions that need to be voiced. Especially if he is scratching out a living while being knocked around by the cops, too.

And those are the type of conversations that we need to move forward.

Am getting a bit tired seeing MM constantly presented as the “voice” of UT, but the media seem to like the celebs.

and I’d like to see Neil deGrasse Tyson brought into these discussions, as he has said his experiences while at UT were not very positive.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I think these are a decent start. But would love to see him talk to the average white guy. Actors and shitty house builders have enough media experience to not push the envelope.

This is where I'm at.  IDGAF was MM thinks on life's challenges.  His experience is anything but normal.  That isn't to denounce the effort, but it's hardly relatable.

In the past month, how many folks have reached out to black friends/ coworkers/ neighbors and had these 'uncomfortable' conversations?

I don't find them uncomfortable at all, and yes, I've received my share of 'constructive criticism.'   One of the longest and most intense discussions I've been a part of involved "colorblindeness" and how a lot of POC find it offensive while many whites think they are aspiring to Dr King's words in his"I have a Dream" speech.  The dialogue helps.

I was also a participant in another discussion at work that got pretty damned heated, especially for it being at work, and I could tell the narrator/ proctor was frustrated because she didn't think it would go that way.   i shot her an IM saying " Today helped.  Do it again please!"   Her reply was that was all she wanted to hear, all day.

I want to see where our actions go, following the dialogue, with an assertive emphasis on "our."

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

So the only reason he hasn’t been fired yet is because you don’t have all the facts yet?  

Our floor employees work from 7a to 330. Found out around 230.

I think I mentioned I have a follow up doc visit for my rotator tomorrow, but Tuesday I will talk to a handful of employees that work with him. I've made my mind up already but it still would piss me off if TWC enabled a racist and gave him unemployment. So it may take a few days on my part to do this correctly.

20 hours ago, markstanco said:

Our floor employees work from 7a to 330. Found out around 230.

I think I mentioned I have a follow up doc visit for my rotator tomorrow, but Tuesday I will talk to a handful of employees that work with him. I've made my mind up already but it still would piss me off if TWC enabled a racist and gave him unemployment. So it may take a few days on my part to do this correctly.

Takes a pretty big ahole to fight unemployment benefits for someone who does at least show up for work and try, regardless of how big an ahole they are.

On 6/21/2020 at 2:21 PM, HtownHorn said:

Of course it would be dumb for Acho. He's a smart guy, but Shapiro would destroy him if it got into a serious discussion and Acho started pushing back on Ben's points. Ingraham hovers the line too much for even me.

Shapiro is no moron, but he has a hard time "destroying" anyone that isn't a freshman liberal arts major. It's no coincidence those Q&A's are his best soundbites. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Dude regardless of your politics, he’s sharp as shit. 

It's not only that Shapiro is sharp, he's been one of leading conservative voices for a decade. Acho is just now venturing into the cesspool of politics and the culture wars. Any reply that Acho might be clever enough to come with on the fly, Shapiro is probably already heard it 100 times.

He would have Acho acknowledging that the BLM is overtly antisemitic within 5 minutes.

Edited by HtownHorn

On 6/21/2020 at 11:21 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My mentally impaired daughter would agree with you on your second assertion, but vehemently disagree with your first.

I'm embarrassed I still throw that term around too.  Honestly glad you brought it up.  I can do better. 

And this is really what we need.  There's no nuance in all the shit people spew online and it's a big reason we have not come a lot fucking further with race relations. 

Takes a pretty big ahole to fight unemployment benefits for someone who does at least show up for work and try, regardless of how big an ahole they are.
That's completely incorrect in the HR world. It may take a a few days but the end result of getting the cancer out is the goal. Interviewing employees on record makes it much easier dealing with Texas Workforce Commission.

Would you feel better if I fired his ass tomorrow, Tuesday, without cause and possibly lose with TWC for him being racist that I can't prove?

Not sure what your battle is here.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:43 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

No kidding. Your goal should be getting rid of the guy, de-risking a hostile workplace environment, and then out of sight / out of mind. Don’t destroy the guy’s life. Forget about him. 

Dude regardless of your politics, he’s sharp as shit. 

Shapiro is not particularly sharp, but rather he has honed a skill that appeals to certain demographics.   A smooth talking flat earther is still a flat earther, even if he presents himself well. 

• Like 1

I am Texan; I believe it, and thankfully so. Every Texan has a different understanding of  what it means to be Texan. But, If you believe you are, and that's an individual choice, there's no cultural or racial absolute that says you aren't. State of mind, and all, I think that's an enormous strength in which we can take pride. So much so, we want to remove obstacles that cast doubt, because we are proud Texans.

I look forward to the anyone who loves this land can fully believe they are Texan, and reality doesn't object. These comments are not specific to black Texans, so I'll try to find a more appropriate place for my thoughts. I will be listening, too, OP. Seeking understanding is a righteous act.  

Edited by Willfully Horn
bourbon

What Is Uncomfortable Conversations With A Black Man

Our Nation and world have again been confronted with its greatest ongoing pandemic, Racism. 

Racism is not a virus of the body; it is a virus of the mind, and unfortunately, it can be lethal.

But you cannot fix a problem that you do not know you have. And if “ignorance is bliss”, in this case, bliss has caused bondage and pain for others. But there is a fix. We can all access the life-saving medicine that will cure the world’s most ailing, long-lasting pandemic. But in order to access it, we’re going to have to have some uncomfortable conversations.

Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man, is a safe place to have the uncomfortable conversations about race that many white people have never been able to have. But enough is enough- I want to remove the barriers for why we’ve never had these conversations. I want to provide a free space for curious white people to answer the questions they’ve always had but have been too nervous to ask. Like, “How can I have white privilege if I’m not wealthy?”, or “is racial profiling ok if black people tend to commit more crimes”, or my personal favorite from a 19-year-old girl from rural Alabama named Amy who asked, “if black people can say the ‘N’ word, why can’t I?” And many, many more.

Many have thought these questions without realizing the key to mending the racial divide in our world lie within the answers, and that white people DO have the power to affect sweeping change, and short circuit racism within their own lives and communities. The cure for what ails us – all of us — lies within these, Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man.

Enjoy