Manny Acho -- "Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man"

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

A best selling book that has yet to be published?

Currently #1 on Amazon's "Movers & Shakers" list for preorders...

rWwdNK0N_bigger.jpg      Emmanuel Acho.    @EmmanuelAcho
1h

Waking up to see that OUR book is #1 on an Amazon list. Go order your copy now, & let’s change the world, together

. http://UncomfortableConvos.com

• 2 weeks later...

Episode #7

It's time to talk about race & religion. Carl Lentz, lead pastor of Hillsong East Coast, sits down with Emmanuel Acho to have an uncomfortable conversation about the role religion plays in fueling and/or killing racism.

"Here's what I told my friends with their white children," he began. "I said, 'Y'all live in a white cul-de-sac, in a white neighborhood, in a white city, in a white state. If you were not careful, your children will live their whole white life, and at 26, 27, they'll end up being a part of the problem, because you just let them and allowed them to live a completely white, sheltered and cultureless life."

This is an EA quote recently taken from an article about Oprah Winfrey taking heat for her recent "white privilege" comment.  I was struck by the quote, particularly the last part.  I respect what EA is doing with "Uncomfortable Conversations . . ." and I tend to agree with a lot of what he says.  But I can't subscribe to the notion that living in a "white neighborhood" without much (or any) exposure to the cultures of non-whites somehow equates to a "cultureless life," i.e., a life completely devoid of culture.  I suspect he may have intended to convey his belief that a lack of exposure to people of other cultures would result in a very limited or myopic cultural life -- and I would tend to agree with that.  But he needs to be careful with his words.  The quote, if taken literally, would suggest to some that so-called "white culture" equates to a cultureless life.   

People like or dislike people for all sorts of reasons. Here's a list of people whom I don't like: poor people, inconsiderate people, the homeless, fat people, uneducated people, okies, arkies, louisianians, criminals, busy bodies who gets in everyone's business, older women fat women with short hair, fat white dudes with goatees, loud ass black women in movie theaters, young men who think they need to live a rapper lifestyle, street racers, bros, vapid women, dudes who wear pants around their thighs, assholes who drive slow in the passing lane, people who drive faster than me, people who drive slower than me, so basically anyone who isn't me and even then I can't stand me sometimes.

Not liking someone because of the color of their skin or what religion they believe in is way too easy. It's a layup for finding reasons not to like someone. Racism is never going to be eradicated because people will always dislike other people. BTW what is the definition of racism. Is it racist to merely not like a minority even if you treat everyone with the utmost respect and try not to ever discriminate based on race? Does racism apply to thought and actions or just actions. If you hate dentist, are you an antidentite or only if you verbally abuse your dentist while he's probing your mouth?

Back to this Conversation with a Black Man thing, I only listened to the beginning of the episode where he attributed fatherless black homes back to slavery. Is it true, maybe, but maybe a very, very, very small part? I don't think any black man who knocks up a black woman and skirts his responsibilities of raising that child thinks that since his grandfather's grandfather couldn't be with his wife during slavery, then he's not going to be a dad to his kid. So I think EA making up shit as he goes along, just like the rest of us. 

I like the idea of this show. Change and uncomfortable dialogue are great. He should put a warning that the contents expressed on his show are his own and should be taken at that value.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm sure both Sam and Emmanuel  had some really uncomfortable conversations with a lot of black men, women, and children when they went to Africa with their dad to do volunteer medical work. I give them props for doing something truly noble and selfless, and their dad seems like a great man. As for his show, I don't think I'll be watching it any time soon. 

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

People like or dislike people for all sorts of reasons. Here's a list of people whom I don't like: poor people, inconsiderate people, the homeless, fat people, uneducated people, okies, arkies, louisianians, criminals, busy bodies who gets in everyone's business, older women fat women with short hair, fat white dudes with goatees, loud ass black women in movie theaters, young men who think they need to live a rapper lifestyle, street racers, bros, vapid women, dudes who wear pants around their thighs, assholes who drive slow in the passing lane, people who drive faster than me, people who drive slower than me, so basically anyone who isn't me and even then I can't stand me sometimes.

Not liking someone because of the color of their skin or what religion they believe in is way too easy. It's a layup for finding reasons not to like someone. Racism is never going to be eradicated because people will always dislike other people. BTW what is the definition of racism. Is it racist to merely not like a minority even if you treat everyone with the utmost respect and try not to ever discriminate based on race? Does racism apply to thought and actions or just actions. If you hate dentist, are you an antidentite or only if you verbally abuse your dentist while he's probing your mouth?

Back to this Conversation with a Black Man thing, I only listened to the beginning of the episode where he attributed fatherless black homes back to slavery. Is it true, maybe, but maybe a very, very, very small part? I don't think any black man who knocks up a black woman and skirts his responsibilities of raising that child thinks that since his grandfather's grandfather couldn't be with his wife during slavery, then he's not going to be a dad to his kid. So I think EA making up shit as he goes along, just like the rest of us. 

I like the idea of this show. Change and uncomfortable dialogue are great. He should put a warning that the contents expressed on his show are his own and should be taken at that value.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, of course except for that first paragraph that was mostly tongue in cheek. Well except for the okies, arkies, Louisiana folks, and criminals, not sure how anyone could tolerate those people. I grew up a poor white kid in a 95% Hispanic town, we all got along great. I made sure my son went to a very diverse high school in the Houston area and I believe it made for a well rounded man now. If he would have gone to an all white school he still would have been fine because my wife and I didn't tolerate racism in our home. If we did, he would have gotten his ass kicked daily at school and would have deserved it. I just don't feel like  watching  a show that basically tells me deep down I'm racist and I should feel white guilt. I hate pretty much everyone equally and it has nothing to do with skin color. I've been robbed by 4 black guys with a shotgun in Memphis right off Biel Street, and a black kid with a semi-automatic  in Houston. Neither time did I feel it was a racial thing, just an economic thing. I just happened to be the one with money in his wallet. 

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lots of irony in the above two posters ignoring & undermining what EA is doing because it makes them uncomfortable. 

that's the beauty of this stupid little game, isn't it? you either agree with the conclusions, or by disagreeing you prove they're true. 

the irony is Emmanuel Acho's mile-wide blind spot for his own prejudices and limitations-- I mean, I don't think it's a con, I think he literally believes he sees more clearly and understands more deeply and is on mission to educate other, "cultureless" people

28 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lots of irony in the above two posters ignoring & undermining what EA is doing because it makes them uncomfortable. 

It doesn't make me uncomfortable in the least. As a matter of fact believing someone is racist because of the color of their racist is pretty fucking racist. There's the irony in this whole thing.

39 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Having open discussions are part of this process. 

It's ok to not agree with everything EA says or believes on this subject...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that's the beauty of this stupid little game, isn't it? you either agree with the conclusions, or by disagreeing you prove they're true. 

the irony is Emmanuel Acho's mile-wide blind spot for his own prejudices and limitations-- I mean, I don't think it's a con, I think he literally believes he sees more clearly and understands more deeply and is on mission to educate other, "cultureless" people

It's a con. Watching his life after football it's always been about building his brand over anything else. He's gone off the deep end pursuing fame.

48 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I took those posts as saying they wouldn’t even hear him out on what he had to say. Which is far different than “disagreeing” with what he says (I disagree with some of his opinions too). Then there’s the CRbobcats guy saying Acho has said that all white people are racists. To me that just sounds like a big time hyperbolic/lazy projection of viewpoints, if not an outright lie. Unless there’s an actual quote of Acho saying that. 

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I took those posts as saying they wouldn’t even hear him out on what he had to say. Which is far different than “disagreeing” with what he says (I disagree with some of his opinions too). Then there’s the CRbobcats guy saying Acho has said that all white people are racists. To me that just sounds like a big time hyperbolic/lazy projection of viewpoints, if not an outright lie. Unless there’s an actual quote of Acho saying that. 

Show me where I said Acho said all white people are racist. I said thinking someone is racist because of the color of their skin is racist. Now whether are not he thinks all white people are racist I I hope not, as a matter of fact I'm almost 100% sure he doesn't. Believing someone doesn't want to watch his show because it makes them "uncomfortable" is judgemental to say the least, maybe even racist. Do you watch his show because you're racist and will learn something that may help you not to be? If that's the case by all means watch it. Or maybe you need to watch it to confirm your beliefs, whatever those may be. One thing I won't argue with you is the fact that racism exists, where we part is to what extent. I have plenty of people I can talk directly to about it, I don't need to watch a tv show for that perspective. 

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

The whole premise of this series is honesty.

Well then he should be honest about not knowing the answer especially as it relates to the question of fatherless black families being a big problem. Instead he throws out some shit about slaves which I guarantee is not on any black man's mind when he's dodging his responsibilities as a father. I would have preferred he said yes that is a huge problem in black communities, one that must also be addressed but it's not mutually exclusive. Black communities can try to address that and also try to address the systematic issues which can make life more difficult for people of color. It's perfectly ok to say the words "I don't know" instead of throwing shit out there. If that's the case, I can just watch myself talk in the mirror.

I'll give his show it's due diligence this weekend when I have time to watch it. Like I said, I like the idea. Initially, it's the honesty that I have an issue with.

Edited by crash_davis

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 9:31 PM, crash_davis said:

The whole premise of this series is honesty.

Well then he should be honest about not knowing the answer especially as it relates to the question of fatherless black families being a big problem. Instead he throws out some shit about slaves which I guarantee is not on any black man's mind when he's dodging his responsibilities as a father. I would have preferred he said yes that is a huge problem in black communities, one that must also be addressed but it's not mutually exclusive. 

It’s not a big problem.  It’s a myth, and it’s not clear why some people keep perpetuating this myth.

The research has been posted on this site (well shaggy) numerous times. 

Episode #8...  Protesting the National Anthem 

NFL Commissioner, Roger Goodell, sits down with Emmanuel Acho to have an Uncomfortable Conversation with a Black Man. Emmanuel asks Goodell what he would say to Kaepernick and how he feels about the National Anthem Protests in the NFL.

Edited by LTtxfan