All Things Thermoworks

C-Man

Use this thread to discuss Thermapens, Smoke, Smoke Gateway and whatever cool shit they come up with next. I'll start ...

Using my Smoke Gateway for the first time today. Quick question -- does the Gateway make it not possible to use the actual Smoke Receiver in concert with the app/monitor through your phone? I'd like to use both at the same time. Thanks!

Having problems with the Gateway. It's a really cool toy but it won't stay connected for me. I used it ~ 2 weeks ago. I hadn't used it for months before that. Had to do a fresh device install. Turned it on the other night to cook ribs, had to do a fresh device install. Last night to cook brisket, had to do a fresh device install. It connects, sends signal for awhile, and then loses the communication and device. Woke up this morning while phone was on charger in the exact same spot I was getting readings last night, and the device connection was gone, have to do a fresh install. WTF. I guess I will call Thermoworks. 

• 6 months later...

My thermapen mk4 case cracked all the way across the led screen.  Otherwise worked fine.  Don't remember dropping it or anything, just a hairline crack in the case from the "elbow". Sent it back to thermoworks and they sent me a new in box one as a warranty replacement.  Pos rep for thermoworks. 

• 1 month later...

I got the Fireboard from my wife as a gift and used it yesterday on a standing rib roast. I posted asking about it before but no replies (https://www.fireboard.com/shop/)

I have to be honest, after one cook I like it way better than the Smoke/Gateway setup. I posted above that I have had issues with the Gateway and connecting, etc. The Smoke on its own is a beautifully designed product but I was having trouble with range so I bought the Gateway. The app sucks. The calendar functionality is hit or miss - as in sometimes it doesn't work at all. I've talked to Thermoworks about it and they have told me it wasn't working properly but the only suggestion they had to fix it was an uninstall/reinstall which didn't help. Losing my device and having to reinstall. The install process is kind of a pain. It got to the point where I don't even want to bother with the Gateway, I'll just use the Smoke and set it up in a room where I know I won't lose connection. 

This thing is super simple. Unit and probes - up to six, and it uses the same probes as the Smoke. Your app/phone is the receiver. Interface is way simpler. Install is simple, turn it on, turn bluetooth on your phone on, select the unit in the app, type in your wifi password and that's it. The graph features I liked better, too. In terms of accuracy it sure seemed to be spot on. I had 3 probes in a 4 bone roast just for fun and a 4th ambient at cooking surface level. 

I'll continue to play with it but after first use I would definitely rec this over the Smoke + Gateway. 

Maybe. IMO the premise of the entire device is flawed. I need a middle man to connect the app to the thermometer? So I have to connect the middle man to the network and to the device? It's a step too many and it opens up a lot of complications. TW should have just made Smoke II or something which connects directly to the app. And then they should have put some design into a new rev of their app because it sucks. 

I like new toys though...will probably still mess around with both. 

Yeah, they should have just made a Smoke II with app connectivity and not tried to make existing ones work that way also.  They had the gateway in the works already when the Smoke was originally released, so I think maybe they were rushing it to market or something.  I never bothered getting a gateway because it was clear it was shoehorned on to the Smoke and always seemed clumsy to me.

Edited by kevwun

• 4 months later...
On 11/17/2018 at 1:37 PM, Anastasis said:

My thermapen mk4 case cracked all the way across the led screen.  Otherwise worked fine.  Don't remember dropping it or anything, just a hairline crack in the case from the "elbow". Sent it back to thermoworks and they sent me a new in box one as a warranty replacement.  Pos rep for thermoworks. 

Both of mine have developed cracks. I've never dropped them and they certainly get much less use than they would in a commercial kitchen. Both are out of warranty. So I haven't tried calling them. I've basically switched to the ThermoPops. At 1/4 the cost, I won't mind too much if one gets lost or breaks. I've bought a couple of Dots for some family members and they seem to work fine.

Edited by luke duke

I use a couple dots on the smoker currently.  Only problem that I have ever had with them is when they are in the direct sunlight during warmer months the screens overheat and black out, but they come right back up when you cool off the screen. 

I have a smoke and a signals. Both are amazing. 

For cooks that I'm around and don't care to see the graphs I use the smoke still as it's battery life is crazy good. 

Signals will last for about a whole brisket cook polling every 5s to wifi. I love the 4 probe and adjustable alarms and silencing from your phone. Hard to beat the package, but their app is complete garbage - I wish they had an API key to use for their online service so I could build a less shitty app. 

39 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Both of mine have developed cracks. I've never dropped them and they certainly get much less use than they would in a commercial kitchen. Both are out of warranty. So I haven't tried calling them. I've basically switched to the ThermoPops. At 1/4 the cost, I won't mind too much if one gets lost or breaks. I've bought a couple of Dots for some family members and they seem to work fine.

they wanted $25 and i'd have to pay for shipping to them to fix the hinge issue on my thermapen.  you can get 2 thermopops on sale for that. 

since the dot isn't instant read, is it really worth 4x the cost of a similar product from taylor?  pretty sure i paid $10 for my basic leave in thermometer.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

they wanted $25 and i'd have to pay for shipping to them to fix the hinge issue on my thermapen.  you can get 2 thermopops on sale for that. 

since the dot isn't instant read, is it really worth 4x the cost of a similar product from taylor?  pretty sure i paid $10 for my basic leave in thermometer.

I didn't know that. I may look into getting them fixed. I like the form factor and instant on feature of the Thermapen better than the Pop.

I'm sure there's better value out there than the Dot. I got the two that I've given away when they were on sale. It seems like whenever I go to a family function on my wife's side of the family they ask me to cook the main course (prime rib, turkey, etc.) without asking me in advance. That normally wouldn't be a big deal except that they have no thermometer, shitty dull knives and their biggest cutting board barely fits a sandwich.

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Hard to beat the package, but their app is complete garbage - I wish they had an API key to use for their online service so I could build a less shitty app. 

hmmm...seems like they should make a optional receiver for the signals. Or as you suggest, open up to 3rd party developers. 

I want them to make a 4 probe Smoke version.  I am not crazy about having to use my phone to check the temp and the app is buggy as immac mentioned.  Also not crazy about having to recharge the battery all time.  There's no way to update the firmware on the signals unit itself that I have seen so there's no hope in it improving with a newer firmware version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I want them to make a 4 probe Smoke version.  I am not crazy about having to use my phone to check the temp and the app is buggy as immac mentioned.  Also not crazy about having to recharge the battery all time.  There's no way to update the firmware on the signals unit itself that I have seen so there's no hope in it improving with a newer firmware version.

Check out the fireboard. 6 probe inputs. 

• Like 2

So my Smoke didn't survive the Texas Steak Cookoff in Hico this weekend. We were battening down the hatches during a pretty nasty gullywasher that blew in and as my buddy was trying to pull stuff off the smoker, he didn't see the probe connected to the unit that I'd moved out of the rain and under the tent. It got knocked off the LED is fucked to the point it looks like it's the same language as the Predator's HUD. So I have the Gateway still -- what should I replace my busted Smoke with? Do the Signals and ThermaQ units no longer need the Gateway? Or is there a better option than Smoke out there these days? I use it on my offset Klose at the house but will likely be adding a BGE in the near future. Should I get a DigiQ instead?

On 4/15/2018 at 4:12 PM, Anastasis said:

I got a thermapen and a few dots with various probes. They are all rock solid.

Yep.  Love my Thermapen.  So fast and easy to use.  I don't quite remember when or why I got it, but I had a gift card to Williams/Sonoma - so I'm still rocking their blue-tooth dual probe thermometer.  Great to grill temp and one in the meat being smoked.  Thermapen does a better job of probing tenderness and quickly assessing different temps (point/flat, etc).

I also use it going the other direction.  Daughter plays soccer and has severs in her ankles.  Arrosti treatment has her ice, but only @ 55 degrees for 8 min.  So I can dial in quick how cold the water is before she soaks.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They’re gonna have to make an adapter for it that is compatible with the type that bbq gurus use.  That design isn’t gonna work with most stick burners.

Looks like the opening is slightly too small to fit over the port on the LSG. Haven't had good luck with my Stoker controlling temp on the LSG.  I think that the fan @ 25cfm just can't pull it off. Agree that adapters would be helpful here.

Specifications
Airflow 46 CFM
Opening 1.18 x 1.57 inches (30 x 40 mm)

Billows_generic-09.jpg?resizeid=6&resize

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, ChampKind said:

Psst. Hey you. Look over here.

https://www.lavatools.co/products/javelin

Long a thermapen fanboi, I am now a convert. Good friend of mine who also owns a bbq spot turned me on to these. I can buy 3-4 for the cost of one thermapen. They're smaller and work just as well.

You're welcome, shaggy surly

Ordered some items from Lavatools when you posted this (order date 7/11/19). Still haven't shipped. Can't get them to reply to an email and update me. Their automated sales system keeps emailing asking me to review the products I bought. I click "I haven't received this product yet" and it says it has notified the seller, no replies. Not off to a strong start so far.

I ordered a Smoke a week ago. Two days after I ordered it, and before I received it, I get an email from Thermoworks offering 20% off several different items, one of which was the Smoke. I had never ordered anything from them before,  so I was added to their email blast list when I ordered 2 days earlier. I replied that I had just ordered it and not even received it, and would love to have been able to partake in the 20% offer. Sent the email at 7am, had a reply by 7:30 am, a very well written one, not a form letter response. Basically the guy stated he completely understood my concern, and that it's difficult to send the offers out when there's always people that had just ordered something, and they would honor the offer and credit me the 20%.  Probably the best and most efficient customer service I have ever received online. 

As far as the product itself, easy to set up and operate,  helped me to really pay closer attention to the air temps next to the pork butt I was smoking.  Receiver didn't fare well through the stone walls of the house,  but  that wasn't unexpected.  All in all, a pretty positive first impression.

Edited by Horns1
spelling

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 9:51 AM, Sam Lin said:

Ordered some items from Lavatools when you posted this (order date 7/11/19). Still haven't shipped. Can't get them to reply to an email and update me. Their automated sales system keeps emailing asking me to review the products I bought. I click "I haven't received this product yet" and it says it has notified the seller, no replies. Not off to a strong start so far.

Got a Refund Notification email today. Not sure if something automated based on 45 days of no shipping, or if someone noticed my order hung in the system. Never got any reply or communication from a live person. What's worse than bad customer service? No customer service.

I’ve never ordered direct from Lavatools, only through Amazon. But I’ve never had an issue with the product. Works like it should every single time. And the magnetic back is mighty handy in the kitchen. We’ve got these things stuck to all the vent hoods to keep them handy

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 3:06 PM, Anastasis said:

Temperature control fan coming out.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Billows

Anyone using the Billows with Signals?  Got a glowing review and I'm interested.  I've been meaning to get something like a Signals for a while and being able to add on the Billows for $60 sounds like a good deal.  I've got a BGE.

Review is here:  https://theinventory.com/thermoworks-billows-and-signals-will-turn-almost-any-gr-1837657964

Edited by Chewbacca

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I would like to get one, but they don’t make an adapter for offsets.  I checked with lsg, but they only make an adapter for the fireboard fan right now.

Given the design of the LSG air damper, I would think that it shouldn't be to hard to fabricate a thin metal plate that would allow the billows to interface, or to rig something up through the port on the other side of the firebox.  

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I have the bbq guru port on the back of my firebox so an adapter that could screw on it would be ideal.  The billows doesn’t look that different from the fireboard fan, so I’m hoping lsg will get around to it.

Well I just sent them a query on it as well, so maybe if they get a couple pings on it they will look into it. 

I rigged up an adapter for my stoker, but it just doesn't do a good job regulating the firebox.  I have the big blower, but it may just not be enough.  Or the port location is less than ideal. 

On 5/21/2019 at 4:47 PM, C-Man said:

So my Smoke didn't survive the Texas Steak Cookoff in Hico this weekend. We were battening down the hatches during a pretty nasty gullywasher that blew in and as my buddy was trying to pull stuff off the smoker, he didn't see the probe connected to the unit that I'd moved out of the rain and under the tent. It got knocked off the LED is fucked to the point it looks like it's the same language as the Predator's HUD. So I have the Gateway still -- what should I replace my busted Smoke with? Do the Signals and ThermaQ units no longer need the Gateway? Or is there a better option than Smoke out there these days? I use it on my offset Klose at the house but will likely be adding a BGE in the near future. Should I get a DigiQ instead?

I love my DigiQ

On 9/17/2019 at 7:13 PM, Chewbacca said:

Anyone using the Billows with Signals?  Got a glowing review and I'm interested.  I've been meaning to get something like a Signals for a while and being able to add on the Billows for $60 sounds like a good deal.  I've got a BGE.

Review is here:  https://theinventory.com/thermoworks-billows-and-signals-will-turn-almost-any-gr-1837657964

Open box sale on Signals.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:10 PM, Sam Lin said:

Got a Refund Notification email today. Not sure if something automated based on 45 days of no shipping, or if someone noticed my order hung in the system. Never got any reply or communication from a live person. What's worse than bad customer service? No customer service.

Their system keeps emailing me to review the products I bought. Great. This saga will never end, it's now like the clap.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2019 at 3:25 PM, DDD Dad said:

I love my DigiQ

Do you know if the DigiQ is transferable among smokers? What I mean is if I buy the kit for my Klose could I simply buy the adapter (and fan if necessary) for the electronics to work on BGE (when I get one)?

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Do you know if the DigiQ is transferable among smokers? What I mean is if I buy the kit for my Klose could I simply buy the adapter (and fan if necessary) for the electronics to work on BGE (when I get one)?

BTW I actually have a CyberQ (the older version, not the new CyberQ Cloud).  

I'm virtually certain they sell the same electronics unit for all smokers, and it's just the fan and adaptor that is unique to the smoker (BGE versus offset).  Again, I'd check with the company directly to be sure before spending $.