All Things Thermoworks

C-Man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thermoworks finally got around to making a 4 probe Smoke that will work with a fan and it has a wireless range over a mile somehow.  I have been waiting for it because I am not crazy about my Signals because it's more complicated than I need and I miss the handheld monitor.  Having to open up my phone everytime I want to glance at the temp is pain in the ass.

https://www.thermoworks.com/smokex

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, blacklab said:

old temperature probe has shit itself and it's time for a new one with a fan

any new opinions on 

• smoke x/signals/billows
  • DigiQ
  • fireboard
  • Flame Boss

Just ordered a smoke x the other night. All the thermoworks shit has been pretty solid for me.  Will try to post a review when I get a chance, but it wont probably be before 4th of July. 

My Smoke got wet, similar to CMan, the display went out. Let it sit for a few weeks, now it works again.

Still having issues with one of the input readings, isn't accurate over time. If you take a one time reading it's fine, but starts to increase out of control for no reason over a few minutes.

The other side works fine, I use it to monitor my smoker temp.

About to pull the trigger on a Fireboard 2, or maybe a Therma Q.

Have you made sure it's not a bad probe?  I fried an air temp probe once when we were making a brisket in a monsoon and the pit temp spiked when the rain finally stopped.  The probe would show crazy readings after that until I got a new one.

I still like the Fireboard. The new one is waterproof, as well. And the fan is cheap. I'm sure TW has some new shit that doesn't involve a bridge and connects to an app but for now I'm happy with the FB. It just works, which I could never say about my Smoke + Gateway. 

Ok, time for the old shooter to get modern, or at least try.

On these blue tooth wireless thermometers, do you have to have cell service for all models or do the probes and receiver work independently?

I've been wanting to with something to more closely monitor actual smoker temperature and meat temperature but don't know jack about all this newfangled tech stuff.  Suggestions? Recommendations?  Past experience?  

I'll hang up and listen.... thanks

The Smoke series has a handheld receiver that comes paired with your thermometer from the factory.  You don't need bluetooth or wifi for it to work.  It comes in a 2 or 4 probe model.  If you want something simple that works well, it's what I would recommend.

Edited by kevwun

On 6/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

On these blue tooth wireless thermometers, do you have to have cell service for all models or do the probes and receiver work independently?

With mine, FireBoard, the control unit sits next to the grill/smoker with probes and transmits via WiFi.  I'm sitting at the dove lease monitoring and controlling with my phone.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:06 PM, blacklab said:

old temperature probe has shit itself and it's time for a new one with a fan

any new opinions on 

• smoke x/signals/billows
  • DigiQ
  • fireboard
  • Flame Boss

I use the original FireBoard paired with a BBQ Guru Pit Viper Fan (they have adapters for many different types of grills/smokers).  There is a new FireBoard 2 which has a large digital screen on the unit, but I manage mine through the phone app so that's not a selling point for me.  The original FireBoard is on sale for $160, plus you need a drive cable to connect a fan.  The six probes allows me to monitor the ambient temperature on separate grills plus white and dark meat on two turkeys. 

• 4 months later...

Just getting around to this again.  Looking at the TW site, having some analysis paralysis between the Smoke X4, Signals and ThermaQ.  I'll add a Billows to whichever I get.

Why is the ThermaQ so much more expensive than the other 2 and what really differentiates the Smoke vs the Signals?  I'll probably stick with TW products because they are really well made and their customer service is great.

Edited by Chewbacca

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Just getting around to this again.  Looking at the TW site, having some analysis paralysis between the Smoke X4, Signals and ThermaQ.  I'll add a Billows to whichever I get.

Why is the ThermaQ so much more expensive than the other 2 and what really differentiates the Smoke vs the Signals?  I'll probably stick with TW products because they are really well made and their customer service is great.

I think the main difference between the Smoke and Signals is the WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity.  It's worth the extra money to be able to monitor and control the fan (I assume TW has that capability) from your phone.  Monitoring temps and cutting off fan from the dove lease or grocery store is nice on a 12 hour cook.  Otherwise, you have to be at home to monitor.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think the main difference between the Smoke and Signals is the WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity.  It's worth the extra money to be able to monitor and control the fan (I assume TW has that capability) from your phone.  Monitoring temps and cutting off fan from the dove lease or grocery store is nice on a 12 hour cook.  Otherwise, you have to be at home to monitor.

Looks like the Signals is water resistant as well.  And for some reason the probes for the ThermaQ are $60 each vs. $20 each for the regular probes.  I can't imagine the regular probes aren't sufficient.

Looks like the Signals is water resistant as well.  And for some reason the probes for the ThermaQ are $60 each vs. $20 each for the regular probes.  I can't imagine the regular probes aren't sufficient.
ThermaQ might have high temp probes, which really aren't necessary for regular smoking.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Found this Smoke vs Signals comparison on their site.  

https://help.thermoworks.com/knowledge-base/signals-vs-smoke-x4/

And here's a chart showing all the features of all their alarm thermometer products.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/master_alarm_thermometer_selection_chart-1.pdf

Looks like Signals is probably the one I want.

I have a smoke and signals.  I like the smoke better because I like the handheld monitor.  It gets annoying having to open your phone up to check temps.  I believe the billows will work on the new model smoke.  The smoke is a simple device and you don't run in to any technical issues with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, immamac said:

I want a billows, but my kamado is a vision with a dial instead of the typical slider.

BBQGuru has fans with adaptors for most of the brands and models.  My Vision has the electric starter port and BBQGuru has an adaptor for that.  I pair the BBQGuru Pit Viper fan with the FireBoard.  Not sure if Thermoworks can be used with other fans, though.  

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

BBQGuru has fans with adaptors for most of the brands and models.  My Vision has the electric starter port and BBQGuru has an adaptor for that.  I pair the BBQGuru Pit Viper fan with the FireBoard.  Not sure if Thermoworks can be used with other fans, though.  

no fucking way really? I'm buying one today if this is the case.

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

I have a smoke and signals.  I like the smoke better because I like the handheld monitor.  It gets annoying having to open your phone up to check temps.  I believe the billows will work on the new model smoke.  The smoke is a simple device and you don't run in to any technical issues with it.

This. I also have a stoker and while it was fun to tinker with shit for a long time, it was flakey af. Bought a smoke cause i wanted dead simple and reliable. 

• 7 months later...