Vacationing in times of Covid

LABEVO

On 5/3/2021 at 12:12 AM, justhookit said:

Hobby sucks and Pappasitos is sort of your best option but pretty sure Troph was coming back from Puerto Vallarta.

Well I ddidn't know that so I'm sorry.     I know I flew through Hobby about 4 years ago on the way back from Belize but I know for sure I didn't eat at Pappacitos.  I thought there was some kind of diner.   Hope he lives but if not, who is getting his stuff?

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Well I ddidn't know that so I'm sorry.     I know I flew through Hobby about 4 years ago on the way back from Belize but I know for sure I didn't eat at Pappacitos.  I thought there was some kind of diner.   Hope he lives but if not, who is getting his stuff?

Well there’s a subway. I’ve got dibs on their dog. @troph

Edited by justhookit

hot middle-aged lesbian who unwittingly has taken on a step mom role.  what can I say, I owe the woman.  sheesh, still undefeated I guess.

Edited by troph

Has anyone reserved a car and not gotten the rental?  I am a Hertz Gold member and booked a car on a weekly rate out of MIA next month with plans on driving to the Keys.  Not getting a car would put a serious damper on the plans...  I did book a backup reservation with another location (Sixt) at double the rate just in case but in both cases, I have no money down and am pretty screwed if I show up at the airport and there isn't a car available... (Backup plan 3 and 4 is an Uber or the Greyhound bus if needed but either of those would suck...)

5 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Taking my first flight in a year plus next Thursday.  Gonna be weird.

It will be at first but as soon as the TSA agent sexually violates you all will be normal

Edited by midtown

I just booked flights for Italy in September. I'm using miles and they were lower this morning than what I've seen lately, so I pulled the trigger. AA is saying miles can be reinstated without penalty if we need to cancel, so I figured there wasn't much risk. Cannot wait. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I just booked flights for Italy in September. I'm using miles and they were lower this morning than what I've seen lately, so I pulled the trigger. AA is saying miles can be reinstated without penalty if we need to cancel, so I figured there wasn't much risk. Cannot wait. 

Where you going?

son did Madrid( Jerez) to DFW and then back last week.  Biggest issue is Covid test results have to be within 3 days of departure to board an international flight( depending upon destination country) and most places get your molecular test completed in 3-5 days.  The windows don't match up and his test results arrived 2 days after he was already back in Spain.  He went and got an expedited test close to DFW when it was getting too late for the initial test results to arrive.

Other than that horseshit, the travel was normal. He said airports were fine. Flight had about 30 people on it both times across the Atlantic..

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

How are car rental prices over there?  I assume that you'll get one in Tuscany? 

I haven't booked that yet, so not sure. We were supposed to go last September and I had started checking, and they weren't too bad at the time. I think it was less than $500.00 for the whole week. And that was picking up I  one location and dropping off at another. 

Edited by Mo Horn

Hobby has Chik-fil-a.  I know it’s not much. But it’s my go-to when I’m not getting a salad from Wendy’s. But yeah, papasitos is awful. They can’t even do a decent breakfast taco and I don’t know how you fuck that up. We had a good Greek place (Ya Ya’s?) across from the chick-fil-a but they are still shut down for Covid. It’s ridiculous that airport restaurants are still shutdown.  Planes are full and lines are twice as long at the places that have opened back up. 

I feel bad for anyone arriving at immigration tonight around 7 at DFW. One.. Yes one officer for all the US people.. And all of us GEs were going to the front so the line was not even moving for the poors. Luckily only two flights at the same time but damn.

This is from my buddy who was in the line. I just waved at him. See ya bud.

IMG_20210515_203844.thumb.jpg.a44c8f704f04a9d22c968c89019c8e8c.jpg

13 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

any guesses on when this mask bullshit will end for airports and flights? 

No vaccine passport. Federal mandate won’t end to some threshold of vaccination in population. Which won’t happen because vaccines scares simple people. Soooo...my guess is July 

edit: I’m wrong 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/30/tsa-mask-requirement-on-airplanes-extended.html

already extended to September 13

Edited by Neonmoon

September seems pretty fucking ridiculous IMO but at least it looks like it will be off for my flight in Oct to Vietnam.    They should at least allow some exceptions.   For eg.  Everyone on my flight yesterday from SJO in theory had a negative test to fly to the US.   There is no reason the captain couldn't allow all masks off once we took off for that reason. 

The crew didn't have a negative test and the captain has zero authority to override any FAA, TSA, or DOT mandates.  Rules surely get bent and broken from time to time but not when all 175 people on board are going to be fully aware you're breaking them.  He'd be risking his job doing that and Karen back in row 19 would have tweeted video of it by time the plane go the runway.  I'm not really pro-mask on planes anymore, but it's only going to change from the top and the airlines are going to keep enforcing it until the end. 

We have FAs getting in trouble all the time for lack of enforcement.  Usually it's one lenient girl not enforcing it while the other 3 stick to the rules.  The lenient one gets ratted out by the others.  The ones that had a sketchy history already are getting fired for it.   We've also had quite a few die from COVID, not that they caught it from the airplane, but still... most FAs are generally not real thrilled to be face to face with the maskless masses right now.  If Captain Joe tells the passengers they can ditch the mask he's doing a carpet dance in front of management real quick.  And right now management cares about one thing and one thing only... selling tickets.  The marketing data says people are buying more tickets because they feel safe enough on planes with masks.  When that eventually tips the other direction and their marketing data tells them people would buy more tickets without masks then and only then will they lobby to lift the mandate.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

The crew didn't have a negative test and the captain has zero authority to override any FAA, TSA, or DOT mandates. 

I'm not saying he should have done it and broken any rules.  I'm saying the FAA should allow an exemption in that case.   The odds are probably close to zero of catching covid on a flight full of negative passengers.    Especially on +4 hour flights.   Add in the fact that at this point there is no reason why a crew member couldn't be vaccinated.    I'm sure there is a large sample of the flying public that feels better with masks.  There is also I assume a decent sample of people who DONT want to fly because they have to wear a mask for 4 hours.

Edited by midtown

I'm sure there is a large sample of the flying public that feels better with masks.  There is also I assume a decent sample of people who DONT want to fly because they have to wear a mask for 4 hours.

I’m with you man. I ready to be rid of masks altogether everywhere.  Just saying people like you and I are still in the minority as far as their data shows. The very day that their data shows more people would buy tickets if they didn’t have to wear the mask is the day they start pressuring the feds to relax the rules.  

• Hook 'Em 1

flew first time in 6 months then previously hadn't flown in another 6 months.

Austin airport was super busy but houston not so much.

international airports have been a mixed bag. europe is completely dead but middle east fairly busy but probably less than half normal. 

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah overhead a FA on my SW flight yesterday say mid September 

Brutal. Why must this be so difficult and why is it different information everywhere you turn. I was hopeful for my trip end of June but I guess will will just be masked for the foreseeable future

23 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Brutal. Why must this be so difficult and why is it different information everywhere you turn. I was hopeful for my trip end of June but I guess will will just be masked for the foreseeable future

Where is there different information? 

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Where is there different information? 

Well for one what CDC and Biden are saying yet everywhere you turn masks are still required. Has it not been a constant stream of different information coming out over the last year? Understand that it's new and we are learning but it's frustruating.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:42 PM, Mo Horn said:

I haven't booked that yet, so not sure. We were supposed to go last September and I had started checking, and they weren't too bad at the time. I think it was less than $500.00 for the whole week. And that was picking up I  one location and dropping off at another. 

Well, I can tell you that we were thinknig of Italy and have opted for Greece since the trip we're putting in place will not require car rental.  It will mostly require the heel-toe express.  Various reasons behind that but in part because Italy is acting slowly and I don't trust how they're handling thigs.  That's saying a lot for me to skip Italy and opt for Greece (not like Greece is a consolation prize because its anything but).  Anyway, when I was considering flying into Italy (into a lesser touristy airport), car rental rates with reputable companies was ridiculous.  I would have paid way more for an 8-9 day rental than I would normally pay for three weeks... and for a small car.  Rates suck.  No different than the US.

42 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Well for one what CDC and Biden are saying yet everywhere you turn masks are still required. Has it not been a constant stream of different information coming out over the last year? Understand that it's new and we are learning but it's frustruating.

They’ve been consistent saying to wear masks on public transportation. That didn’t change with the new CDC guidelines last week.  They reiterated it too.  That includes in airports and on flights, which are subject to federal rules. 

Edited by Js1

6 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Yeah, life has been frustrating in general. I think the confusion has to do with CDC guidelines, Private Business, and Federal. The CDC guidelines are just that, guidelines. They aren’t laws, and never were. The local governments instituted “enforceable” rules based on guidelines, some followed the CDC, some didnt. Biden/CDC announcement was just saying the new guidelines is that if you’re vaccinated, you don’t have to wear a mask. Some states will follow those guidelines, some won’t. 

Federal (aka anything interstate travel meaning airports & planes) still requires mask. I think that might end before Sept 13 but who knows 

Private Businesses can do whatever the fuck they want. Some will follow CDC like Costco, Walmart, Trader Joe’s have said, but others could require a mask forever if it tickles their fancy. 

I agree. Messaging needs to be simpler. Like color coded threat level simple. Most people don’t understand the difference between private and public, and what rights they’re entitled to. Which leads to confusion and people getting perturbed 

On 5/5/2021 at 7:43 PM, Grimas said:

Has anyone reserved a car and not gotten the rental?  I am a Hertz Gold member and booked a car on a weekly rate out of MIA next month with plans on driving to the Keys.  Not getting a car would put a serious damper on the plans...  I did book a backup reservation with another location (Sixt) at double the rate just in case but in both cases, I have no money down and am pretty screwed if I show up at the airport and there isn't a car available... (Backup plan 3 and 4 is an Uber or the Greyhound bus if needed but either of those would suck...)

We used Enterprise for a large SUV (Armada) at MIA and they had plenty of cars, and the lines were not unusually long.  That rental car facility is huge, plenty of volume.

Have fun, we sure did.  3 nights in Marathon, then 3 nights at Stock Island which for all practical purposes is Key west.

Other than lots of masks the only memorable moment was the SWA FA who lectured "put on your mask and keep it on our it's a $32K fine, people!!"

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/15/2021 at 8:37 PM, midtown said:

I feel bad for anyone arriving at immigration tonight around 7 at DFW. One.. Yes one officer for all the US people.. And all of us GEs were going to the front so the line was not even moving for the poors. Luckily only two flights at the same time but damn.

This is from my buddy who was in the line. I just waved at him. See ya bud.

IMG_20210515_203844.thumb.jpg.a44c8f704f04a9d22c968c89019c8e8c.jpg

Whatever the worst layer of hell is, it resembles this picture a lot. 

• Haha 1

Btw.  My buddy and I tried the "verifly" app on the way back.   You upload some data including a picture, attest to a few things and upload a pdf of your negative test.    Completely worthless.   Still could not check in on the AA app or website.  At the airport a worker had to see the test and then you show him the verify app.  All it did was save me from having to fill out a 1 page piece of paper. 

Edited by midtown

39 minutes ago, midtown said:

Btw.  My buddy and I tried the "verifly" app on the way back.   You upload some data including a picture, attest to a few things and upload a pdf of your negative test.    Completely worthless.   Still could not check in on the AA app or website.  At the airport a worker had to see the test and then you show him the verify app.  All it did was save me from having to fill out a 1 page piece of paper. 

My hope is that it will improve as we move forward. Vaccine info will probably be able to be added, and more paper eliminated. 

United has started a partnership with Abbott rapid tests that meet the re-entry travel requirement for the US.  You buy the test online, take itwith you in your carry-on and take it within 3 days of your return.  Even have an online advisor available to walk you through the test.  The results are delivered to an app on your phone.  You get 6 tests for $150.  I am sure other airlines will be on board shortly.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

Edited by kevwun

Don't know if this is the best thread, but wanted to give a data point for anyone who might need to get a passport renewal.

I mailed the renewal application on 4/8 and it was marked delivered on 4/12. I didn't receive an update that they received it until 5/4, but based on how quick the rest of the process went, I'm assuming that is the time they started processing the application. On 5/14 received an email that everything was approved and it would be shipped back to me in 1-2 business days. I received it back yesterday 5/20.

It was basically about 6 weeks including the shipping back and forth. I was given an estimate of 10-12 weeks when I sent in the application, so it ended up being much faster than I was expecting.