Vacationing in times of Covid

LABEVO

33 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

CNN report this morning says unvaccinated, "according to a source". 

Same as the Reuters piece.  Remember, this is just a recommendation, and countries can set their own rules.  Japan was removed from the list, and Italy was still letting them in with a Green Pass.  Let’s see the announcement.  Still frustrating that nothing has come out yet.

25 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I did see that Italy changed to let Brits come in with proof of a vaccine and a negative test. I'd be fine with that. 

No more 5 day quarantine?  Oh, just saw it.  The Italy page that houses that info is being updated now.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

1. Canon John 3+  -  30 August 2021 at 14:20 CEST

New Italy policy which essentially continues the previous policy begins August 31 and extends to October 25.

2. Canon John 3+  -  30 August 2021 at 14:12 CEST

My Italian contacts say that Italy policy is set for September and the EU recommendation might be adopted for October.

3. Canon John 3+  -  30 August 2021 at 13:57 CEST

New EU recommendations.just announced. Not approved yet. When?
    Interesting that Italy announced their own regs fully aware.of the the EU would recommend.

4. Canon John 3+  -  30 August 2021 at 00:59 CEST

I have read the revised regs starting August 31st and it is very good news from my perspective. Thanks to Paul edge for sharing the link.

These are comments on a story about the new EU recommendations. I have no idea if this is just someone pretending to be in the know, or if he really had contacts.

Here's a link to the story

https://www.thelocal.it/20210828/explained-is-italy-likely-to-place-new-restrictions-on-travel-from-the-us-in-september/

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.  If y'all can post any updates you can (copy and paste, some of us don't subscribe to Bloomberg and WSJ), it sure would be appreciated.  Feels like we're maybe on the clock to get the boy outta here on Friday.

Ah, so you must be a Financial Times man, then.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is what I'm seeing on Italy's Ministry of Health page

Countries that can access with an equivalent certificate

It is possible to enter Italy without the self-quarantine requirement for travellers departing from the USA, Japan, Canada and Israel if they are in possession of the certificates issued by their respective countries, which can be presented in paper or digital format, in compliance with the requirements established by the circular of 30 June 2021 on the equivalence of vaccination and recovery certificates.

For more information, see the dedicated sections: List C (for Israel) and Accessing Italy with Green Certificate: Japan, Canada, United States and Israel.

If I click on the U.S. link, here is what I found

Example 1: John, a vaccinated American citizen, wants to enter Italy; to avoid the quarantine he will only have to show the vaccination certificate issued by his country, which is equivalent to our Green Pass.

https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministero/normativaonline/decreto-iorestoacasa-domande-frequenti/focus-cittadini-italiani-in-rientro-dall-estero-e-cittadini-stranieri-in-italia.html

This is the update:

Persons travelling from List D countries may enter Italy with a ‘Green Pass’, a negative swab test carried out within the previous 72 hours (48 hours in the case of entry from the UK) and a Passenger Locator Form; otherwise, they must undergo a 5-day mini-quarantine and undergo a test at the end of isolation.

Persons travelling from Canada, Japan and the United States of America may enter Italy by presenting a ‘Green Pass’ (or equivalent certificate issued by the local health authorities attesting that they are fully vaccinate with a European Medicines Agency (EMA) validated vaccine), a negative swab test carried out within the previous 72 hours and a Passenger Locator Form.

We are doing the swab test today.  My friend went to get one, and I have an appointment for 4:30 PM today.  We arrive in Naples at 1:40 PM local time, so roughly 8 AM NY Time.  So we are are less than 48 hours from departure now.  

There is a link with a new detailed page dated August 30....

https://www.esteri.it/mae/resource/doc/2021/08/normativa_covid_30_agosto_eng_471_aggiornato_30_agosto.pdf

But this seems to leave out the test.  In any case, we are getting the test.  

We transit through Switzerland.  And for Switzerland, it seems like even if you are coming from a high risk country, as long as you are vaccinated, you are good.  

Following a review under the recommendation on the gradual lifting of the temporary restrictions on non-essential travel into the EU, the Council updated the list of countries, special administrative regions and other entities and territorial authorities for which travel restrictions should be lifted. In particular, Israel, Kosovo[1], Lebanon, Montenegro, the Republic of North Macedonia and the United States of America were removed from the list.

Non-essential travel to the EU from countries or entities not listed in Annex I is subject to temporary travel restriction. This is without prejudice to the possibility for member states to lift the temporary restriction on non-essential travel to the EU for fully vaccinated travellers.

Found this. Highlight is mine. 

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So I went to the Italian site. They updated it today.  Sounds like Green Pass Americans still ok to come in with negative test (either PCR or Antigen) within 72 hours of arrival and PLR.  We are getting our tests done today.  

What does Green Pass Americans mean?  My wife, sisters, and mom are supposed to go to Italy in October.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What does Green Pass Americans mean?  My wife, sisters, and mom are supposed to go to Italy in October.

The Green Pass is defined via those links I gave you, but it is full vaccination with a vaccine approved by EU, proof of recovery from COVID in the last 90 days, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of entry.  

I think a good guide is show proof of full vaccination and get a negative test before you go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Persons travelling from Canada, Japan and the United States of America may enter Italy by presenting a ‘Green Pass’ (or equivalent certificate issued by the local health authorities attesting that they are fully vaccinate with a European Medicines Agency (EMA) validated vaccine), a negative swab test carried out within the previous 72 hours and a Passenger Locator Form.

For Italy this is today's update on the ministry's page. I'm fine with this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The Green Pass is defined via those links I gave you, but it is full vaccination with a vaccine approved by EU, proof of recovery from COVID in the last 90 days, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of entry.  

I think a good guide is show proof of full vaccination and get a negative test before you go. 

When you do get to Italy this week, can you update us with what you had to show? Did they want to see both vaccination record and test, or just record? I'm going to get a test scheduled just in case, and will probably get it anyway, but if they're not going even care that would be good to know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

When you do get to Italy this week, can you update us with what you had to show? Did they want to see both vaccination record and test, or just record? I'm going to get a test scheduled just in case, and will probably get it anyway, but if they're not going even care that would be good to know. 
Yep. I will relate my experience
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Yep. I will relate my experience

Thanks.  Here's the first of many reps. I'm seeing tweets from folks who are getting e-mails from Delta saying they have to have a negative test within 72 hours to fly, so I'm guessing that you will need to show a negative test. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Thanks.  Here's the first of many reps. I'm seeing tweets from folks who are getting e-mails from Delta saying they have to have a negative test within 72 hours to fly, so I'm guessing that you will need to show a negative test. 

Already took mine and have it on the phone.  Went to the pharmacy down the street.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Honestly, it is probably for the best to get a test anyway.  Shouldn't be traveling if you are positive.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Already took mine and have it on the phone.  Went to the pharmacy down the street.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Honestly, it is probably for the best to get a test anyway.  Shouldn't be traveling if you are positive.

Yep.  The boy has an appointment for a PCR test 72 hours before his flight.  And because he's going to be gone for at least 4 months, REALLY thinking that he should get a booster shot (he's at 5 months fully vaccinated right now) right after that.  Germany, as of now, requires you to enter your vaccination status and such on your pre-flight screening, so he's going to do that.  And we're just hoping those rules hold through his Saturday arrival....sheesh.  I really hate this shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  The boy has an appointment for a PCR test 72 hours before his flight.  And because he's going to be gone for at least 4 months, REALLY thinking that he should get a booster shot (he's at 5 months fully vaccinated right now) right after that.  Germany, as of now, requires you to enter your vaccination status and such on your pre-flight screening, so he's going to do that.  And we're just hoping those rules hold through his Saturday arrival....sheesh.  I really hate this shit.

So we did the research on whether Italy said PCR or Antigen.  It seemed like either worked (in fact the guidance specifically said either PCR or Antigen), and it had to be 72 hours before we were entering the country (which is at 8 AM NY Time on Wednesday, so our appointments today work perfectly as we are within 48 hours).  We had already filled out our PLF for Italy, and just edited to take into account the new address we are staying at and new seat numbers.  FYI, I did the Antigen test as I did not want to have a delay on PCR results to cause an issue.  

The USA needs to reciprocate in good faith and allowed vaccinated Europeans in.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Absolutely this.  Shit, we're hoping that my son's German friend (from his exchange days) can fly back with him in December -- that's still not possible, and it's ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So we did the research on whether Italy said PCR or Antigen.  It seemed like either worked (in fact the guidance specifically said either PCR or Antigen), and it had to be 72 hours before we were entering the country (which is at 8 AM NY Time on Wednesday, so our appointments today work perfectly as we are within 48 hours).  We had already filled out our PLF for Italy, and just edited to take into account the new address we are staying at and new seat numbers.  FYI, I did the Antigen test as I did not want to have a delay on PCR results to cause an issue.  

Scheduled our rapid antigen test for the day before we fly. Was afraid the pca wouldn't get us results in time. We're on American so I have verifly. Have already loaded our vaccine info. Will do our PLF and load that as well.

Agree 100% that we need to do the same for the EU. No reason not to. Wishing you traveling mercies tomorrow @PenelopeWitherspoon. May all your flights and connections be smooth. 

17 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Scheduled our rapid antigen test for the day before we fly. Was afraid the pca wouldn't get us results in time. We're on American so I have verifly. Have already loaded our vaccine info. Will do our PLF and load that as well.

Agree 100% that we need to do the same for the EU. No reason not to. Wishing you traveling mercies tomorrow @PenelopeWitherspoon. May all your flights and connections be smooth. 

Well, we already have a hickup.  I was trying to upload my info on the Swiss Airlines website so they could pre-check all my docs, and they cannot find my booking.  I am checked in, but it is probably all fucked up becuase the original booking was via United.  

And then here is the fun bit.  My friend was going to check in, and her passport is expired.  She is Australian (with a US Green Card). She thinks she can get an emergency passport via the Australian Consulate, but needs to call in the AM and see if they can do it super fast.  Fucking wonderful.  

She has looked at that passport 2-3 times while we have been planning this trip.  How did it not register it was expiring?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, we already have a hickup.  I was trying to upload my info on the Swiss Airlines website so they could pre-check all my docs, and they cannot find my booking.  I am checked in, but it is probably all fucked up becuase the original booking was via United.  

And then here is the fun bit.  My friend was going to check in, and her passport is expired.  She is Australian (with a US Green Card). She thinks she can get an emergency passport via the Australian Consulate, but needs to call in the AM and see if they can do it super fast.  Fucking wonderful.  

She has looked at that passport 2-3 times while we have been planning this trip.  How did it not register it was expiring?

Dear god. 

Good luck!

Have a fun solo trip!
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
24 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Have a fun solo trip!

This.  We are going to the Maldives at the end of January and my wife realized hers was expiring in October. Sent it in with expedited fee at the end of July and I still won’t rest easy until it comes back renewed. 

Have a fun solo trip!

The Australian Consulate can give an Emergency Passport in 2 working days. We shall see.

And I know Americans this has happened to here in NYC, and they’ve been able to get an emergency document to travel.

Hell, I got my last full renewal in two days because I did it in person.

The wife and I are getting on a plane for the first time in a long time on Friday. We are headed to Panana on a fishing trip that was supposed to be with my in-laws and brother-in-law and a couple of his friends. Originally scheduled for 4/2020 and rescheduled for 4/2021. We are finally going now. In-laws dropped out with health issues -- he has a-fib and had congestive heart failure in early July -- and dipshit, Trumpy BIL will not get vaccinated. So Mrs. C-Man and I are going with one of her best friends and her fiancee instead. Connecting through Miami. (Apparently, we have so much credit with the lodge since we have a smaller group that there's no way we will have a bar tab when we leave.)

32 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Australian Emergency Passport should be ready by 1.  Should be good to go.  HOLY SHIT!

Did you get your glitch with Swiss Air worked out? Getting all your issues before you leave so the universe can pay you back with smoothness during your trip. 

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

If he/she was American, you’d likely be SOL. The process for getting new or renewal passport is literally insane in this county right now.

Was traveling with a work colleague in Spain a few years back. His passport was stolen. We went to the U.S. consulate and he got a new one the same day. Not sure that would have happened here in the U.S., especially right now. 

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Was traveling with a work colleague in Spain a few years back. His passport was stolen. We went to the U.S. consulate and he got a new one the same day. Not sure that would have happened here in the U.S., especially right now. 

I know people that have done something similar here in NYC.  The in person NYC passport office is operating at full tilt, so we have that going for us.  A lot of the problem is that there are not many offices who can issue a fast passport in the US.  However, if you are overseas in a major area, I bet you still could get an emergency document.  

I always carry a photo of mine or a copy as a back-up just in case something happens.  That would facilitate getting a new one.

15 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Did you get your glitch with Swiss Air worked out? Getting all your issues before you leave so the universe can pay you back with smoothness during your trip. 

Not all. I have the seat I want.  They did not charge me a second time.  But I still cannot load my docs to have them precleared, so we will just have to do it at the airport.  Sigh.  

Swiss has terrible customer service as well.  

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Not all. I have the seat I want.  They did not charge me a second time.  But I still cannot load my docs to have them precleared, so we will just have to do it at the airport.  Sigh.  

Swiss has terrible customer service as well.  

Flew swiss air last week. Said my documents failed to meet the requirements. Showed the documents in person with no issue. 

28 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

Flew swiss air last week. Said my documents failed to meet the requirements. Showed the documents in person with no issue. 

Yeah, we are just going earlier to deal with it.  We are both flying business, so not expecting a long line on that front.  I am still packing.  I detest packing.

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My friend in July was able to book an appointment, drive 4 hours to Dallas, wait a few hours and get it back and drive 4 hours back.  Hopped on a plane the next day. 

That guy got very lucky. There are limited appointments that they'll take at either the Main Post Office Passport office (or maybe it's downtown) if you can show that you are traveling in the next day or two or three. Way too stressful for my blood.

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd let you schedule an appointment further than 2 weeks out. Maybe It's changed back based on @justhook response. It's fucking maddening. Driver's license is fucked too. My daughter turned 16 a couple weeks back. She won't be eligible to get her regular license until January.