Vacationing in times of Covid

LABEVO

I was supposed to take my yearly vacation in late May but because of covid that trip was cancelled. Has anyone found a good vacation approach with covid or ar we all stay-cationing these days?

Checking in with 8 weeks of vacation this year and cancelled trips to Spain and Paris in April and May respectively.

I've planned that if the city opens up a bit more (retail, outdoor dining and drinks), then I'll do a week in July and a week in August as staycations. Probably will take a week at Thanksgiving and a week at Christmas as well. But I've pretty much landed on no real travel this year.

Technically, our company changed its vacation policy and said it's use it or lose it. Fortunately, my boss and I have already worked out a I can use it next year, it will just be maintained outside of the system plan.

I suggest the open road and or state parks.  No flying and no crowded places.  Just explore man.  Go somewhere or do something you wouldnt otherwise do.  People stay away from each other and most are not out and about.  Especially if you are not an outdoorsy person, now's your chance.    

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1

I suggest the open road and or state parks.  No flying and no crowded places.  Just explore man.  Go somewhere or do something you wouldnt otherwise do.  People stay away from each other and most are not out and about.  Especially if you are not an outdoorsy person.  Now's your chance.    

Yep. Keep in mind that you’ve got to reserve entrance to state parks since they are really limiting occupancy. It’s easy enough to do online.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Canceled the France/Italy trip in April/early May.  Driving to Angel Fire for 8 nights next week (rented a house in the hills) and have a week trip planned to Destin in August.  NM will be fine, as everything is pretty remote, and we are limiting stops to gas/bathroom breaks.   More concerned about Destin, as I’m guessing it will be crowded.  We are staying at a house there as well, so at least not in a condo building.

Edited by AustinMT

16 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Canceled the France/Italy trip in April/early May.  Driving to Angel Fire for 8 nights next week (rented a house in the hills) and have a week trip planned to Destin in August.  NM will be fine, as everything is pretty remote, and we are limiting stops to gas/bathroom breaks.   More concerned about Destin, as I’m guessing it will be crowded.  We are staying at a house there as well, so at least not in a condo building.

Some friends just returned from Rosemary Beach.  Contrary to what they heard before getting there, the grocery stores were reasonably stocked, and a lot of the restaurants were open, though many had spilled tables out into the sidewalks and pedestrian streets in some attempt to socially distance the tables.  Also, families could only reserve one shift at the beach per day, AM or PM.  Services that would put out chairs and umbrellas for you are no longer operating.  Community pools were reservation only.  Destin might be a different landscape. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Some friends just returned from Rosemary Beach.  Contrary to what they heard before getting there, the grocery stores were reasonably stocked, and a lot of the restaurants were open, though many had spilled tables out into the sidewalks and pedestrian streets in some attempt to socially distance the tables.  Also, families could only reserve one shift at the beach per day, AM or PM.  Services that would put out chairs and umbrellas for you are no longer operating.  Community pools were reservation only.  Destin might be a different landscape. 

We are staying in Destiny by the Sea.  Been a while since we have been to Destin, but this seems at least a little away from the main madness

12 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Make sure the whole family has masks.  All of NM requires them outdoors and certainly indoors.  They won't let you in places without them.  Outdoors most people are pretty lax about not wearing them but can't say the same about going in places.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 1

We are staying in Destiny by the Sea.  Been a while since we have been to Destin, but this seems at least a little away from the main madness

Went to Seaside/Seagrove for Memorial Day. Beaches were packed - no masks.
A few stores and restaurants required masks to enter but loosely enforced. Crowds may have been due to holiday weekend, cabin fever and beaches reopening. You may have better luck w crowds on a non-holiday weekend now that the initial surge has passed.

• 6 months later...
There are new State/CDC requirements for international travelers returning to the U.S:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html
I'm wondering if this applies to Puerto Rico. I'm assuming it doesn't but I'm curious. I read the CDC FAQ and they don't mention it.

That sucks that you still have to get tested even if you are vaccinated. Seems like that should be an acceptable exemption just like actual COVID infection is acceptable.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Seems like it's basically meant to almost completely shut down traveling to other countries and coming back.  I mean sure if you are going to be there on a long haul ok but who wants to go on some 4 night trip to Mexico and a Caribbean Island get there and first order of business is "ok where the fuck can I go get a Vid test tomorrow". And in that situation what's to stop you from then picking up the Vid between your test and coming home.  That coupled with the vaccine thing (which is gonna get jumped on by people as "what you don't trust the vaccine?") seems like "we want to make this as hard as shit so you just keep your ass home but we don't have the balls to just say that"

The vaccine part really doesn't make sense.  It would be a nice incentive to convince people who are wavering.

Yes, it is extremely frustrating. If they are going to make this stupid rule at this point in the game, at least use it to incentivize people to get vaccinated.

If we assume vaccines are 90% effective, I would imagine that’s comparable to the trustworthiness of a person getting a negative test while on vacation, then running around for up to 3 more days and possibly contracting COVID before actually flying home.

If you gave me the choice between which person to sit next to on the plane, I’d take the vaccinated person over the person with the negative test.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well let's be clear here, in terms of making it hard they want to do that.  They also want to avoid (at least for now) turning the vaccine into some political "muh rights" football where those that have it are free to move as they please and those who don't are not and scream, bitch, moan and act like the bitches we all know they will.  Now to me if you don't want to eventually get vaccinated then I don't have a lot of sympathy for you but for right now with numbers vaccinated so low I can kind of understand saving that fight for a bit later date.

I still think there are also people who will find this and make it the "what you don't trust the vax" thing but that's a smaller fight at the moment than "OH MY GOD THESE PEOPLE ARE UNAMERICAN AND FORCING BILL GATES COOTIES INTO ME AGAINST MY WILL JUST SO I CAN GO TO CARLOS AND CHARLIES"

• Hook 'Em 1

I am never astounded by the number of people who cannot shift into neutral to get this thing under control. So you skip a trip, BFD. take it later. it's your 50th? so fucking what, party harder on your 51st. We are a society of impatient fucktards that ar constantly searching for a self serving loophole to gratification. 

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, next2naus said:

I am never astounded by the number of people who cannot shift into neutral to get this thing under control. So you skip a trip, BFD. take it later. it's your 50th? so fucking what, party harder on your 51st. We are a society of impatient fucktards that ar constantly searching for a self serving loophole to gratification. 

I got your fucking loophole right here. Shift your own ass into neutral, and maybe watch who you call a fucktard, huh?

Prick. 

• Like 1

Several things.   I can go to any US hotspot and get it with almost zero travel restrictions but going to a foreign country is different?  Dumb

The US should operate quick tests at inbound airports.   Where exactly are all these inbound travelers with no negative tests going to go?  Are they going to shuttle us off to a hotel for 10 days?  Are we going to sleep in the immigration hall?

I talked to a person at Tulemar in CR.   They have a testing site in Quepos that the concierge will book for you.    I assume all hotels and tourism boards for major tourist destinations will be scrambling to have a testing systems available.  I know several hotels in the Bahamas already do this.  

Also sounds like a money maker for airlines to offer quick tests at the gate.  And at international outbound airports.  

Why did we just give airlines a boat load of money then turn around and try to kill their international business?

The vaccine part really doesn't make sense.  It would be a nice incentive to convince people who are wavering.

Only because it's unknown if you can still contract and spread the virus.   It was not part of the trials study.  I think Israel has said that it looks like there is some protection against this. 

Edited by midtown

On 1/15/2021 at 11:19 AM, After irth said:

I got your fucking loophole right here. Shift your own ass into neutral, and maybe watch who you call a fucktard, huh?

Prick. 

take it deep little snowflake, man up and control the ants in your pants. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

We’ve got pent up demand here for some Europe and island trips, but for now I’m owning the streams and rivers - all your trout are belonging to me - doing the outdoor thing - knew we wanted to see the back country but never knew when we would break from traditional travel to do it. Well Covid gave us that chance.  Used RV for a fraction of our travel costs, landed a sick old F350 as a bonus and now we are Patagonia granola girls boondock camping in Colorado national forests, breathing deep out in far west Texas, and riding up and down the remote parts of PINS with the sea breeze in our hair.

its cliche but to be honest I would not trade how we traveled in 2020 and what’s ahead in 2021 for anything.  Shit, best year ever in a lot of ways. Zening out in the mountains listening to Simon and Garfunkel Homeward Bound while driving down the road along the mountain river, holding an 18 inch golden trout in my hands while floating down the Gunnison. There’s a mindfulness we’ve gained this year that I hope to never lose. Crack open a beer and enjoy it sure, or just be still and let nature change you as it’s own mind altering substance.  I’ll probably cherish these moments more than the cool trips to far away places in a lot of ways.

this year we are adding to the Colorado rivers by getting sailing certified and scuba certified to own the seas when easy travel returns.  And if we can’t get to the islands to sail we will stick to surfing and sailing lake Travis and be thankful for what we have.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, next2naus said:

take it deep little snowflake, man up and control the ants in your pants. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. 

Whatever part I am, I’ll be doing it from a beach with a drink in my hand. 

Trip is back on. Thanks for your support. 

I assume you saw the part where I buried my mother...?  Non-COVID-related, by the way. Your lack of sensitivity at my knee-jerk angst of yet another indignity during my week is impressive.  I should know better than to vent on the Surl when self-righteous fucks like yourself are always circling like sharks. 

Therefore, kindly go fuck yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Unless someone has other data; I've seen nothing to say travel in itself is leading to high numbers of transmissions.   If done smartly I think one can mitigate the possibility.   Most travelers I know have completely shut down for the better part of year.   except for one person I know who got it and so she's traveling like normal.    Plus we are trying to support the economies like good Americans.

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 7:46 AM, RollLeft said:

I suggest the open road and or state parks.  No flying and no crowded places.  Just explore man.  Go somewhere or do something you wouldnt otherwise do.  People stay away from each other and most are not out and about.  Especially if you are not an outdoorsy person, now's your chance.    

This is what we are doing. Loading up the family truckster and driving to some state parks in the spring. Hopefully something more robust in the summer/fall.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Unless someone has other data; I've seen nothing to say travel in itself is leading to high numbers of transmissions.   If done smartly I think one can mitigate the possibility.   Most travelers I know have completely shut down for the better part of year.   except for one person I know who got it and so she's traveling like normal.    Plus we are trying to support the economies like good Americans.

I mean, technically the "data" is that any time someone is around another person, there is risk for transmission.  And that risk goes up exponentially in relation to the number of people.  How much give a fuck one has and what they decide to do with regard to that data is up to them...risk/reward and shit.  But to act like "there's no proof traveling could help spread it" is just burying your head.

That said, personally, we haven't traveled since February.  But, we just bought our second boat since March to offset it too, so that helps a ton.  I chose to do what I can, within my means, within what I feel is reasonable, to help mitigate things.  But everyone has different definitions of what they think is reasonable and everyone has different means and I don't think it's for me to judge them on that.  My choice to get a boat isn't 100% safe, the times I have gone out to dinner on a patio isn't 100% safe, etc.  But it's what I have decided is reasonable for our personal threshold.  To each their own.

18 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

But to act like "there's no proof traveling could help spread it" is just burying your head.

That's not what I said.  What I said was traveling doesn't appear to increase risk anymore than going to the grocery, work, home depot, traveling by car, or all the other things that everyone is doing daily without being guilted about their actions.  

Even the CDC does not point to travel in itself as a large risk to spread.  

Edited by midtown

6 minutes ago, midtown said:

That's not what I said.  What I said was traveling doesn't appear to increase risk anymore than going to the grocery, work, home depot, traveling by car, or all the other things that everyone is doing daily without being guilted about their actions.  

Again, risk goes up exponentially in relation to the number of people involved...along with the conditions (outdoor better than indoor, masks better than no masks, etc).  The label of "travel" really has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Landomatic

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Again, risk goes up exponentially in relation to the number of people involved...along with the conditions (outdoor better than indoor, masks better than no masks, etc).

You can't make that blanket statement.   Conditions on an airplane are completely different than in a restaurant.   Risk DO NOT go up exponentially if the conditions are different in fact they go down.   If I'm on a plane to a place that requires a negative test, everyone is wearing a mask, and the plane has hospital level air filtration the risk is exponentially lower.

54 minutes ago, midtown said:

You can't make that blanket statement.   Conditions on an airplane are completely different than in a restaurant.   Risk DO NOT go up exponentially if the conditions are different in fact they go down.   If I'm on a plane to a place that requires a negative test, everyone is wearing a mask, and the plane has hospital level air filtration the risk is exponentially lower.

Conditions are a variable.  Risk goes up with shittier conditions and down with better conditions.  But I'm sure you know that and now you're just arguing to argue.  If I stay home and don't travel, my risk is lower than if I do travel, all other things being equal.  Period.  That is what the "data" says.  Don't be so obtuse a dumbass.

Edited by Landomatic
dumbing it down for my little friend here
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Conditions are a variable.  Risk goes up with shittier conditions and down with better conditions.  But I'm sure you know that and now you're just arguing to argue.  If I stay home and don't travel, my risk is lower than if I do travel, all other things being equal.  Period.  That is what the "data" says

Thanks for making my point dumbass.

16 hours ago, South Austin said:

Still planning on Rosemary Beach the first week in June. Flights and house booked. I haven’t ventured out of the Austin area since October 2019.

Next time you go I recommend October. Water is still warm enough, but it isn't so damn hot and humid. Makes being out and about more enjoyable. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Whereabouts?  We will do first half in Telluride and second half in Aspen.  All of our Texas friends congregate in Aspen the four weeks before school starts.

Split between Telluride and an area north of Durango (closer to Purgatory) called Glacier Club

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, After irth said:

Whatever part I am, I’ll be doing it from a beach with a drink in my hand. 

Trip is back on. Thanks for your support. 

I assume you saw the part where I buried my mother...?  Non-COVID-related, by the way. Your lack of sensitivity at my knee-jerk angst of yet another indignity during my week is impressive.  I should know better than to vent on the Surl when self-righteous fucks like yourself are always circling like sharks. 

Therefore, kindly go fuck yourself. 

I've buried a lot of people, going on vacation didn't make it better. 

• Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Next time you go I recommend October. Water is still warm enough, but it isn't so damn hot and humid. Makes being out and about more enjoyable. 

Humidity wasn't all that bad the last three times I went in June, and it's hard to get away for a week with the kids in the Fall.  I went for Spring Break once, and although sunny and in the mid-70's, the gulf water was too cold for our long-term enjoyment. 

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Spending summer in Colorado again.  COVID making remote work more common has made that even easier for us.  Used to just be able to do 4-6 weeks.  Doing 12 weeks this summer.  

Going back to the beach. We’ll leave the day school gets out and head back a week or so before it starts back. My spoiled ass kids are already complaining because they want to travel again, but we’re probably done with it though. There is something nice about not dealing with airplanes, hotels, AirBnB, tourists and everything else that came with it. We started the conversation on getting a small place in the mountains to split up the seasons and go for the winter breaks, but I think we’ll go with some long term rentals and see how it goes.

3 hours ago, next2naus said:

I am, but so are people who are traveling for non essential activities. 

Yup business travel is clearly safer than recreational. I’ve put off traveling for almost a year now, but I’m likely headed to Costa Rica in about 2 weeks. Don’t worry if I get Covid on the plane I will be staying there a few months, so won’t bring it back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1