Vacationing in times of Covid

LABEVO

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Leaving in a week so I can support the US travel industry and the country of Belize.   Got my GE and CLEAR ready to blow by the other 10 people flying.

I was able to fly RT on United for $475 which includes first class return.  Used my AMEX flight credit to move to prem economy on the flight there.  As of now.  There is no one within 4 rows front and back of me going down. 

I had a credit with Maya as well.  Added $75 to them and they will do my return test which I plan to do the day after I arrive in the early evening.  Which is within the 72 hours. 

Got my N95 ready and hand sanitizer of course.  Will also bring something to wipe down high touch areas in my room.   Belize has a gold standard system that requires hotels to stay empty for 24 hours between visitors among other things. 

What can I expect as far as in flight?  Will I be allowed a few adult beverages or do I take mini's with me? 

United has the drinks flowing in first class. 

• 1 month later...

Bought tickets from Austin to Barcelona for August 2021. Spain isn't open yet but hoping it re-opens by August. Tickets are $550 per person, so I feel like it's a good risk.

It's $550 for any date this summer, so if you are feeling lucky...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/16/2021 at 6:52 PM, Mo Horn said:

Got a mass email from a winery in Italy we signed up with for a tour, when we were supposed to go last fall. They are reopening the first of May and it said all Italy is going to open up to vaccinated tourists, even Americans, in June. 

That's news to me and I'v ebeen following it religiously.  Nothing has been agreed to yet.

They're working on a system for Italians to either travel overseas or for Italians to travel from region to region so long as that region is not a high risk region but I have yet to see a thing about letting Americans in.  Discussions are still ongoing for EU citizens but not so much Americans.  

Google translate away...  (no mention of people from outside the EU)

https://siviaggia.it/notizie/estate-2021-spostamenti-regioni-pass-prospettive/328257/

Vote on the Green Pass may not take place until June:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-03-eu-parliament-covid-green-june.html

Edited by texasdago

I'm curious to see how this change affects summer travel for Americans. There has definitely been conflicting advice from the CDC and the State Dept. It seems like recently the CDC was saying vaccinated people can resume travel, now they are back to saying stay home. My guess is that most people who have already booked summer travel will ignore this advice.

[quote]'Do not travel' list: The US State Department is raising the alert level for most countries due to COVID-19
Dawn Gilbertson
USA TODAY

Travelers researching international trips during the coronavirus pandemic have been confronted with conflicting government advice.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has one system of rating the risks by country, the U.S. State Department another, producing different travel alert levels for the same country in many cases. Mexico, a popular vacation spot with American vacationers this year, is considered a Level 4 by the CDC – meaning avoid all travel – but a Level 3 by the State Department – meaning "reconsider travel.'' The Bahamas was just raised to a Level 4 by the CDC and is a level 3 on the State Department scale.

The State Department is about to clear up some of that confusion, and the news is not good for travelers pondering a trip abroad.

The State Department on Monday said it was raising the alert level for a significant number of countries this week as it factors the CDC's COVID-19 data more heavily into its rating system.

"As travelers face ongoing risks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of State will begin updating its travel advisories this week to better reflect the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s science-based Travel Health Notices that outline current issues affecting travelers’ health,'' the department said in a statement. "Our advisories also take into account logistical factors, including in-country testing availability and current travel restrictions for U.S. citizens.''

The agency said about 80% of countries will now carry the "Do not travel'' label, a Level 4.

Today, just 34 of 209 countries, or about 16% are rated a Level 4. Nearly 150 countries, or about 70%, fall into Level 3. 

The State Department said the pandemic continues to pose "unprecedented risks'' to travelers: "In light of those risks, the Department of State strongly recommends U.S. citizens reconsider all travel abroad.''

The increased alert level comes as the number of vaccinated Americans is increasing and COVID-19 restrictions are being lifted in many states and in some countries. Iceland, Croatia, Greece and Israel are among the countries welcoming or about to welcome vaccinated Americans.

In early April, the CDC said fully vaccinated Americans can resume domestic and international travel at low risk to themselves. But it noted that international travel poses additional risks given the spread of new COVID-19 variants.

Despite the new guidance for vaccinated travelers, the CDC says, people should stay home.

"CDC is not recommending travel at this time due to the number of rising cases,'' director Rochelle Walensky said at a White House briefing in early April.

Millions of Americans are ignoring the advice, with travel rising steadily this spring, according to Transportation Security Administration screening numbers and optimism about bookings from airline executives.[/quote]

7 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Despite the new guidance for vaccinated travelers, the CDC says, people should stay home.

"CDC is not recommending travel at this time due to the number of rising cases,'' director Rochelle Walensky said at a White House briefing in early April.

Millions of Americans are ignoring the advice, with travel rising steadily this spring, according to Transportation Security Administration screening numbers and optimism about bookings from airline executives.

Their messaging is so terrible and deserves to be ignored. If you are vaccinated you owe it to yourself and the local economies to go travel.

Preferably go somewhere where you can be outdoors since it’s better for your health overall. 

3 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

If you are vaccinated you owe it to yourself and the local economies to go travel.

If your not a 1% you should use your stimulus check to stimulate your local economy. And by local I mean Belize next week and Costa Rica the following week. 
Just saying. 

On 4/19/2021 at 7:29 AM, ZB'Tejas said:

Going to Santa Barbara for a week at the end of June. Worth taking small kids or should I board them?

Worth taking them.  Water will be too cold for beaching, and probably overcast a lot.  But there's a great zoo, great restaurants, and depending on how long you are there, you could drive down to Ventura (about 30 mins south) and catch an Island Packers boat out to Santa Cruz Island.  Kids would dig that.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Their messaging is so terrible and deserves to be ignored. If you are vaccinated you owe it to yourself and the local economies to go travel.

Preferably go somewhere where you can be outdoors since it’s better for your health overall. 

My wife is down in the Yucatan (Merida and Valladolid) with a friend, and says they are pretty stringent about mask wearing down there.  She's fully vaxxed, and her friend is half vaxxed.  

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I booked Croatia for mid-July. They appear to be open for vaccinated Americans, which my wife and I both are. Never been but heard great things.

Cool, we planned a Croatia trip for 2020, obviously had to abort, and now the plan is 2022.

There's a Croatia thread on the Forums if you're interested.

On 4/25/2021 at 6:01 PM, HenryJames said:

This gives me hope for Paris in January 2022.  My issue isn't me getting in, it is that things will be open as we know this shit gets worse in the winter.  Hoping France picks up their vaccination efforts in the 2nd half of 2021.

Right now, thinking if I cannot get a house in the Hamptons, will go sit on the beach in Greece/Portugal.

On 4/15/2021 at 8:48 AM, zman13 said:

Bought tickets from Austin to Barcelona for August 2021. Spain isn't open yet but hoping it re-opens by August. Tickets are $550 per person, so I feel like it's a good risk.

It's $550 for any date this summer, so if you are feeling lucky...

son works in Spain and has been stateside for 9 days.  He has been covid-vaxxed, but said they never asked him before boarding or upon arrival in the US. Madrid to DFW...

It's been frustrating AF that we couldn't go see him or get him over here.  Tomorrow will be the first time we've seen him since 2019.  Can't fucking wait.

Oh...and his momma still doesn't know.  Gonna be badass!!!

First trip by plane since covid and after vaccination. I’m reminded what a shithole Houston hobby is. That fucking pappacitos by gate 1 holy hell ate there on a longAF layover and threw up 5 times ON THE PLANE ride from Houston to Austin. Never again. Fuck pappacitos and their $100 airport fajitas.  

Heck I routinely get stuck with a 4 hour layover at IAH coming back from Costa Rica on United but of course I am flying back to Corpus. We don’t have a lot of flights. The trip I just cancelled was a 6 hour layover coming home. There aren’t a lot of flight options right now coming back from Mexico and Central America. Or I guess  there were better options but they were already booked.

43 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Heck I routinely get stuck with a 4 hour layover at IAH coming back from Costa Rica on United but of course I am flying back to Corpus. We don’t have a lot of flights. The trip I just cancelled was a 6 hour layover coming home. There aren’t a lot of flight options right now coming back from Mexico and Central America. Or I guess  there were better options but they were already booked.

This, coming back from PV. There was no other option. Fuck hobby. We routed through Phoenix on the way out there much much better.  

pappacitos is the only option there or another papas restaurant and holy hell I stopped eating half way though and just said I don’t want to feel like shit tomorrow.  Sure enough. 

I might opt out of that route from here on out if at all possible. Lax or Phx anywhere but hobby unless it’s a quick connect. 

And I’m not telling you why I’m wake at 1:15am. Ugh. 

4.5 hour lay over. Down the middle symptoms of consuming under cooked chicken except it hit within a few hours instead of a delay. I’m completely wasted, fever, dehydrated, can’t hold down water, and trying to hold down pedialyte. System ejected all fluids and all signs of food over a 10-12 hour period.

Edited by troph

The rest of covid travel was uneventful. Airports were 100% masked properly, no BS, planes were full and Vallartans took it more seriously than we do.  Such hospitable, inviting and caring people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

New Orleans is jam packed. Still no conventions being booked but folks are traveling. Spotted Cat sold out night after night.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-new-orleans-a-preview-of-a-possible-summer-travel-boom-11620120601?st=5n74fxxrclw3s6d&reflink=article_copyURL_share

The conferences are starting soon. I think the first one I’m attending is in July.