Vacationing in times of Covid

LABEVO

Just now, zman13 said:

The Cancun airport has a list of accepted testing labs:

https://sedeturqroo.gob.mx/ARCHIVOS/TABLA-1-C19-ING.pdf

We were in Playa Del Carmen and went to Amatista on 5th Ave. Took about 5 minutes to take the antigen test and they emailed the results later that night. It was about $20 USD each.

Cabo appears to be more expensive

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

The $50 offer from the AirBnB is probably at a local pharmacy or a mobile van. That's probably the easiest option. 

We saw some mobile testing vans in PDC. Even though they are on the approved list, it still cracked me up. Guys were standing by the van, yelling at people going to the beach to come get tested. I fully expected them to offer free drinks with a test or something similar.

2 minutes ago, zman13 said:

The $50 offer from the AirBnB is probably at a local pharmacy or a mobile van. That's probably the easiest option. 

We saw some mobile testing vans in PDC. Even though they are on the approved list, it still cracked me up. Guys were standing by the van, yelling at people going to the beach to come get tested. I fully expected them to offer free drinks with a test or something similar.

Yeah we took the offer. They’ll just come to the villa and do the tests. None of us want to fuck around and end up stuck 

And I agree with whomever says that airlines and everyone else is just waving people through with respect to the covid negative proof.   I showed the guy my test and I could have shown him almost anything that looked semi official.  Even an old one and they were like "good to go" 

13 hours ago, midtown said:

And I agree with whomever says that airlines and everyone else is just waving people through with respect to the covid negative proof.   I showed the guy my test and I could have shown him almost anything that looked semi official.  Even an old one and they were like "good to go" 

Agreed.  My experience was having the airline say - "show me where it says your name and show me where it says negative."  I pulled up an email test result on my phone and scrolled to those two spots .  They cared nothing about seeing the date, the testing facility, or anything specific.  Name....Negative....enjoy your flight.

Regardless how you feel about the regulation, it's difficult to blame the airlines for waving people through.  Those ticketing agents can't be expected to turn into medical professionals and if they did carefully examine every passenger's document for full compliance, it would take hours to move a line for even one full flight checking in.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Has the shittiness that is Verifly been discussed here??

AA requires you to input all your vaccine and personal info in this app for checking in online and adding checked bags, otherwise gotta show up and wait in line to check in with an agent. So I uploaded ALL the fucking health and passport info that I had already done to get my "health visa" for where I'm going, and everything is complete. But AA online says no, not complete. So all that time wasted to duplicate efforts and still gotta wait in the line of death. Fucking get your shit together.

Headed in to San Jose, Costa Rica, this morning to get my test before my flight tomorrow. There is a group of us so the testing folks are meeting us at the hotel at check in. On the whole, I feel Costa Rica is doing a decent job. All tourism-related staff (hotels, restaurants, guides) are wearing masks and many places are requiring you to wash hands and have temp taken before entering. I’d say about 70% of the locals I see on the streets are wearing masks. I’ve tried to be good about wearing one when walking around but have forgotten a few times. No one has said anything to me about it. 

More and more EU nations are allowing entry to Americans. Spain, Greece, Portugal, Germany are some of the big ones.

If you can do it, better to focus on one place instead of a grand tour, as it’s still a patchwork. For example, Czech Republic will let you in but the Austrian neighbors won’t. 

This is kinda the sweet spot if you can swing it. It’s REALLY nice to have all the stuff open but still mostly local tourists and residents instead of the usual crush.

More and more EU nations are allowing entry to Americans. Spain, Greece, Portugal, Germany are some of the big ones.
If you can do it, better to focus on one place instead of a grand tour, as it’s still a patchwork. For example, Czech Republic will let you in but the Austrian neighbors won’t. 

This is kinda the sweet spot if you can swing it. It’s REALLY nice to have all the stuff open but still mostly local tourists and residents instead of the usual crush.
Italy and France are open to vaccinated Americans as well.

Leaving for Croatia next week. We have a connection in Germany but neither Croatia nor Germany require vaccinated U.S. citizens to have COVID tests, just the vaccine card.

We went to St. Barth a few weeks ago and missed our departure flight out of DFW due to long check-in lines at the airport. International travel requires check-in with the agents (no phones or kiosks) so they can verify COVID requirements prior to boarding.

Needless to say, I'm a little concerned about the upcoming flights to Croatia for the same reasons, and unfortunately, we have a time constraint that will limit our ability to get to the airport more than 2 hours early.

Is there anything that stops us from going to DFW the night before our flights (within 24 hours of departure) to do the check-in process and get our boarding passes, then return home to sleep before returning to the airport the following day for the actual flights? We will only have carry-on bags, no checked bags, and we are flying United. I think this should streamline things on the actual day of departure so that we just need to get through TSA, which we have Pre-check for. Is there an unforeseen wrinkle in my plan I should know about?

On 6/28/2021 at 12:35 PM, wild_turkey said:

International travel requires check-in with the agents (no phones or kiosks) so they can verify COVID requirements prior to boarding.

Curious about this.    When I flew to Belize in March.  Belize had a negative covid requirement but I had zero issues checking in and getting my boarding pass online.  No one checked my negative test until I got to Golden.  How is your situation different?

Curious about this.    When I flew to Belize in March.  Belize had a negative covid requirement but I had zero issues checking in and getting my boarding pass online.  No one checked my negative test until I got to Golden.  How is your situation different?

I’ve been to St Barth 3 times since COVID started and Tulum once, and this was the first time I’ve experienced this. I think it’s a recent problem for airlines with the influx of travelers post-COVID.

16 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I’ve been to St Barth 3 times since COVID started and Tulum once, and this was the first time I’ve experienced this. I think it’s a recent problem for airlines with the influx of travelers post-COVID.

I flew to Cancun last week and this was not a thing 🤷🏻‍♂️

I flew to Cancun last week and this was not a thing

Maybe it’s destination dependent then. Mexico doesn’t require COVID testing so that probably made it easier for you.

Or maybe it’s airline dependent. This was on AA, early June, flying DFW-MIA-SXM.

Like I said, it was the only time we experienced it since the start of COVID, so it caught us by surprise as well.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

AA sucks in general so that could be a factor 

True, we flew United and they seemed to have their shit together pretty well. Although I didn’t quite understand making everyone wear a mask flying back into US after having to have a negative covid test within a couple days before boarding they flight. Oh well.

Just booked our rental car for our September trip to Italy. One week, pick up and drop off at different locations, with gps and highest collision protection available. After all taxes and fees, right around $600 so higher than it would have been pre-covid, but not too bad.

On 6/24/2021 at 6:10 PM, midtown said:

That was not my experience going to Africa.  Every country in Africa checked my Covid tests thoroughly on arrival, and every airline checked it thoroughly before even letting me on the plane.  In Tanzania, they even made me take a rapid test on arrival even though I had a PCR test from the day before (which, in fairness, was probably just a revenue grab as they charged me $50/test).

On coming back from JNB, Qatar Airways checked my Covid tests three different times, and the South African officials checked them twice (which struck me as bizarre--I would think they would want me out of the country if I had it).  Of course, when I reached the United States--nothing.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Qatar Airways checked my Covid tests three different times

That's because US Airlines half ass everything and most international airlines do their freaking jobs.   Also think of the demographic of someone going to Africa vs Cancun.

Mexico Travel PSA:

Just got a debriefing from a family member that had a pretty crazy experience.  Fully vaccinated. Did test at Cancun Resort before flight and came back positive (asymptomatic).  Seemed like it was a 3rd party testing agency and resort personnel said all 'right' things then that they would have to go to an isolation room pending a clear test, etc.  But immediately upon returning to room the manager showed up with a negative test and told them to use it.  They had to show passport before getting tested so were paranoid that test result was tied to passport and didn't want to risk presenting a false document so were trying to figure out other legitimate options.  Manager then stopped being nice and basically told them flat out there wasn't availability, they had no option to stay there, didn't care what the contract said, they were leaving property on a taxi to airport, period.  In the interim, made contact with a US doctor that had given a strep diagnosis a week prior that was willing to send a "recovery" letter to let them fly.   More absurdity ensued including an airline still refusing boarding and having to pay another airline $3K that allowed them to board for a flight home.  But if not for that stroke of luck of the doctors note, they didn't really know what they were going to do.    I'm leaving out a lot of details but suffice to say it was enough for me to say I'm out on international travel until this idiotic CDC testing policy for vaccinated travelers is lifted.   

Edited by Skipper
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

But immediately upon returning to room the manager showed up with a negative test and told them to use it. 

Considering how stupid and illogical the Biden testing requirement is I'd do this no question about it.  I am an extremely logical law abiding citizen but this shit is so fucking moronic. 

On 6/28/2021 at 12:35 PM, wild_turkey said:

Leaving for Croatia next week. We have a connection in Germany but neither Croatia nor Germany require vaccinated U.S. citizens to have COVID tests, just the vaccine card.

We went to St. Barth a few weeks ago and missed our departure flight out of DFW due to long check-in lines at the airport. International travel requires check-in with the agents (no phones or kiosks) so they can verify COVID requirements prior to boarding.

Needless to say, I'm a little concerned about the upcoming flights to Croatia for the same reasons, and unfortunately, we have a time constraint that will limit our ability to get to the airport more than 2 hours early.

Is there anything that stops us from going to DFW the night before our flights (within 24 hours of departure) to do the check-in process and get our boarding passes, then return home to sleep before returning to the airport the following day for the actual flights? We will only have carry-on bags, no checked bags, and we are flying United. I think this should streamline things on the actual day of departure so that we just need to get through TSA, which we have Pre-check for. Is there an unforeseen wrinkle in my plan I should know about?

The airline will not check you in that far in advance at the airport. Even same day it’s a dice roll once you get more than like 3-4 hours out. 

I had no issues checking in and selecting seats, but you need to see the agent and get a boarding pass. Two hours should be enough.

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

That was not my experience going to Africa.  Every country in Africa checked my Covid tests thoroughly on arrival, and every airline checked it thoroughly before even letting me on the plane.  In Tanzania, they even made me take a rapid test on arrival even though I had a PCR test from the day before (which, in fairness, was probably just a revenue grab as they charged me $50/test).

On coming back from JNB, Qatar Airways checked my Covid tests three different times, and the South African officials checked them twice (which struck me as bizarre--I would think they would want me out of the country if I had it).  Of course, when I reached the United States--nothing.

The pics from the badass safari don’t seem to be loading.

3 hours ago, midtown said:

That's because US Airlines half ass everything and most international airlines do their freaking jobs.   Also think of the demographic of someone going to Africa vs Cancun.

US airlines will check you coming in. Airlines will follow that, because the feds make the airlines pay to repatriate/send back people who are denied entry. 

34 minutes ago, midtown said:

Considering how stupid and illogical the Biden testing requirement is I'd do this no question about it.  I am an extremely logical law abiding citizen but this shit is so fucking moronic. 

I probably would have as well.  They had to show the passport to the testing company so they were concerned it was somehow flagged. Everything about their experience and others just dealing with flight and check in delays (or my buddy texting me today from Tahoe airport where he's been waiting 2+ hours for a rental car because they are understaffed) makes me think I'm cool just avoiding travel for a few months period until things normalize.  

On 6/24/2021 at 12:41 PM, Js1 said:

Got back from Cabo last week and through a deal with our hotel, was able to get tested for $30 US. Otherwise, it would have been around 53. Results back in 3/5hrs.

Unfortunately, we had to do it twice because we extended our stay (tested early just in case needing ticket changing) by two days to look at some property. so $60 for each of us.

56 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Got back from Cabo last week and through a deal with our hotel, was able to get tested for $30 US. Otherwise, it would have been around 53. Results back in 3/5hrs.

Unfortunately, we had to do it twice because we extended our stay (tested early just in case needing ticket changing) by two days to look at some property. so $60 for each of us.

Makes sense. We aren’t staying at a hotel property, so don’t get the “deals” but $50 was fine with us 

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Saw the same shit at the zoo in Omaha. 

You didn’t see the carnivores hunting.  Or any of the animals doing whatever the fuck they wanted to do whenever the fuck they wanted to do it.  It’s a unique experience.  I recommend doing it once.  I’ve never heard anyone complain about their time in Africa.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Let me get a few things done here at the office and I'll see about starting a thread on that.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ll give you a head start from my trip a few years ago.  It is my favorite thing I’ve done.

C69F5FB2-6586-41A0-8CD3-6288910E6762.jpeg

7674D68D-428C-453D-8988-2FBE58DB5DAC.jpeg

7ECBFBE3-B4F2-40AD-925A-DF874A7ACA85.jpeg

7F5C520F-C9A5-4CFA-AE74-AE03A5DD0FE9.jpeg

0BAFB4E8-321B-41C9-A091-FFB7E9FE2BF7.jpeg

E8AE7C45-9460-46AA-BDAE-65F7E29C56C1.jpeg

E9BF1C12-1E74-4BB2-975D-F8F27ED11979.jpeg

6A8D5A9D-C666-4B9E-93DC-512EC43487FC.jpeg

53555D41-C931-4E6D-A265-637890AF5140.jpeg

53727AB6-BCCA-4403-BF97-A1AB9E51BF2D.jpeg

8780CFC3-B5DD-4EA2-88A0-05661B5CCEFE.jpeg

DD000B18-7676-4BEE-8441-918D23DFCF2E.jpeg

4E4F42F5-E22F-4E0F-B78B-4BF62DBD70DB.jpeg

Definitely on my bucket list but have no idea where to start. We travel a lot and I just plan things like travel, hotels, excursions all independently. I'm guessing I can't do that for this kind of trip. Did you use a travel agency, safari company, something else? Details would be much appreciated, either here or in a new thread. 

29 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Definitely on my bucket list but have no idea where to start. We travel a lot and I just plan things like travel, hotels, excursions all independently. I'm guessing I can't do that for this kind of trip. Did you use a travel agency, safari company, something else? Details would be much appreciated, either here or in a new thread. 

I’m similar.  We used an African based agency.  We were pleased with every aspect of the trip.  The various safari camps are mostly small enterprises and it would be difficult to sort through yourself.   They would probably be considered a mid-range outfit.   Our trip was exclusively in South Africa, but they operate over the entire continent.  We did the whole 12 day trip for less than $6k sans airfare and didn’t feel like we sacrificed comfort.  Exchange rates have also improved since we took that trip.

https://www.rhinoafrica.com/en

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

You didn’t see the carnivores hunting.  Or any of the animals doing whatever the fuck they wanted to do whenever the fuck they wanted to do it.  It’s a unique experience.  I recommend doing it once.  I’ve never heard anyone complain about their time in Africa.

jfwy

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Couple questions for ya:

- Right now our tests are 3 days before departure… that’s good, right?
- How were the lines at customs? Hearing horror stories…

The regs say the specimen needs to be tested three days before departure to get back in the US. 

IAH was not a shitshow when I flew in two days ago. Actually one of my easier experiences. And we were last in line because one of my kids decided she needed to take a giant dump right before we got in the passport line.

12 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Couple questions for ya:

Three days is right for the testing.  

Customs back in the US was a breeze on Monday at DFW.  I think it was the quickest I've ever gotten through Customs at DFW, to be honest.

Headed to an annual vacay in Puerto Vallarta next week, but friends called this morning adamant about cancelling because PV is shutting down due to the new COVID variant.  They sent me an article, but that article just says bars will be forced to shut down if they don’t make significant changes.  I’m still not finding anything that says PV is going back on lockdown.  

Anyone else finding anything?  

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Headed to an annual vacay in Puerto Vallarta next week, but friends called this morning adamant about cancelling because PV is shutting down due to the new COVID variant.  They sent me an article, but that article just says bars will be forced to shut down if they don’t make significant changes.  I’m still not finding anything that says PV is going back on lockdown.  

Anyone else finding anything?  

Check on TA. The pearl clutching Karens over there will start 20 threads about it if something is going down.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150793-i46-Puerto_Vallarta.html

• Haha 1

Couple questions for ya:

Yep. 72 hrs or less for your tests and you’re good.
When we got back from Cabo at the end of last month and going through IAH.
No problems with customs. We’ve traveled a few times now during Covid and coming from Mexico with no issues.

20 + years ago we traveled back from Cabo through San Diego ( lived in the Pacific NW at the time) and we had an item/artwork with us that I was sure was going to be an issue with customs... Two quick questions and “Welcome to the US”....
Wife later asked me how we got through so quick and no fuss, ... I just said, he was ready to get home too. It was right before 7 PM and shift change.
We’ve gone through customs now at close to that time or at least I look for those flights that seem to get in around there and it’s always been the same. Super quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk