Vacationing in times of Covid

LABEVO

The airline will not check you in that far in advance at the airport. Even same day it’s a dice roll once you get more than like 3-4 hours out. 

That’s actually not true. When we missed a flight last month and spent a “penalty night” in CLT, we checked in that night for the flight the next day, just to avoid the airline agent fiasco the day of the flight. That was AA with a checked bag.

For our United flight tomorrow, DFW-IAD-FRA-ZAG, they let us check-in today and get boarding passes so we just need to clear TSA tomorrow. I think their policy is that you can check-in in person within 24 hours but you can’t hand over checked baggage until 6 hours pre-flight. We did have to check-in in person for this trip because an agent needed to verify our vaccine cards, but we’re good on that now.

As of right now, to go to Switzerland and Italy, I just need to show proof of vaccination and fill out the passenger form.  To come back to the US, I have to have a negative COVID test.  Seems like the US would be smart to just require proof of vaccination for those fully vaccinated.  Then require negative COVID tests for everyone else.  

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

As of right now, to go to Switzerland and Italy, I just need to show proof of vaccination and fill out the passenger form.  To come back to the US, I have to have a negative COVID test.  Seems like the US would be smart to just require proof of vaccination for those fully vaccinated.  Then require negative COVID tests for everyone else.  

I'm hoping that's coming, especially before our Italy trip in September. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So...what happens if you test positive for the return trip?  Heading to Turks and Caicos on Saturday.  Had the PCR test Tuesday, both negative (wife and I both vaccinated several months ago).  Just got a call from daughter who was at July 4th family party with us and she tested (quick test so chance of error) positive for Covid today.  She was asymptomatic up until yesterday.  She is getting the PCR test to verify the positive.  She has an idea when she might have gotten it (Friday outdoor volleyball) as several people that were there have now tested positive.

I'm just the old fart that doesn't understand things when I tried to get them to get the vaccine as they both (son and daughter) work in the construction industry.  

21 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

quick test so chance of error

These are every bit as accurate from what I understand.   

21 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

So...what happens if you test positive for the return trip?

Depends on the other country.   seems like some shuffle you off to a government covid hotel.  Others make you stay in your current hotel for some period of days and others show up with a fake negative test and tell you to GTFO.

34 minutes ago, midtown said:

These are every bit as accurate from what I understand.   

Depends on the other country.   seems like some shuffle you off to a government covid hotel.  Others make you stay in your current hotel for some period of days and others show up with a fake negative test and tell you to GTFO.

Pretty much everywhere in the Yucatan peninsula right now.

Is not doing daily housekeeping now a thing with hotels, or is this still some sort of COVID precaution?
If I’m paying $500+ a night at a gotdamn JW resort, in Texas, I expect at a minimum to not to have to come to the front desk for towels.

Was the same way at the Gaylord last week. Clusterfuck central.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, burns_312 said:

Was the same way at the Gaylord last week. Clusterfuck central.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s really annoying. Am I an asshole then for not leaving a tip for staff since they didn’t do shit while I was here?

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

It’s really annoying. Am I an asshole then for not leaving a tip for staff since they didn’t do shit while I was here?

Nope.  I tend to tip 5 a night if they service the room.  But sometimes, I do not have them come to the room, so I would skip that night.  If they are not doing their job, no reason to tip.

19 minutes ago, Brew said:

Still tipping, just like I’m tipping on carry outs. They didn’t set the policies, so it seems reasonable to me.

Do you come back to the room and the money is still there?  Or are they going around and collecting the tips but not cleaning the room?

In Seattle two weeks ago we were on a 4 night stay.  With two kids the trash starts to pile up.  I asked the front desk if they could  send someone to tidy up and they said they were not allowed to enter a guests room at all.   Not sure if thats Hyatt regs or city of Seattle.   I had to take all the trash and food boxes etc out to the hallway.   

In Costa Rica we go nothing either.    

For me for a few days.  I don't really need housekeeping But after 3-4 days it would be nice to come back to a tidied up room even though I keep my hotel room pretty neat anyway.

Went on a fucking frenzy this morning booking what I could for the next year.

Booked VRBO's for:

• Spring Break '22:  Estes Park
  • June '22:  Paris and Switzerland
  • July '22: Oregon & Victoria BC

Hopefully Canada opens up by then and France/Switzerland don't shut down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, midtown said:

Tipping in hotel rooms is a fairly new thing.  I do it when I remember but still not sure where this entered the scene like tipping at freaking sandwich shop or baskin-rpbbins

Legalized and payroll prostitution. I have a buddy who says, “Why am I tipping people for just doing their job?”

He’s a 1%er and generous to a fault. But he has a point about the line being consistently blurred about receiving basic service and then being socially obligated to open his wallet. 

We tip at hotels in Mexico, because there's a really good chance those maids are making hardly anything. It's just a few bucks for us, but probably makes a big difference to them. And they're always so got damn nice ...

Had a frustrating flight experience today. Was supposed to fly Dubrovnik to Newark to DFW. Woke up to a text from United that our DBV-EWJ flight was canceled due to not enough crew. Text came through 8 hours before departure with no info on rebooking.

I had originally booked through Amex so I called them and they agreed to cancel the booking and work with United on a partial refund (we already flew the departure leg getting here). The estimated partial refund is less than half the original round trip ticket amount, which pisses me off. I then had to pay more money to book flights home on KLM today.

Right now my priority is just to make it home. I think once I get that out of the way I’ll call Amex and complain a little more about the expenses. I also paid for their travel insurance on the original flights so I’m not sure what that’s good for if not to cover these situations.

Sorry about that. If you have a Twitter account publicly shame them with your story. It's often the fastest way to get a response. The 787 fleet isn't understaffed, but getting crews to EWR has become problematic because the port authorities decided to rip up a runway now instead of a year ago when nobody was flying. Lots of ATC delays and canceled flights causing commuters to be stranded because who would live near Newark.

On 7/9/2021 at 2:20 PM, Mo Horn said:

I always tip well at restaurants, but i never do at hotels. Servers don't make minimum wage and supplement with tips, but as far as I know hotel workers do. 

Hotel housekeepers do far more to earn tips than restaurant wait staff in my opinion.  Cleaning all those rooms is hard, nasty work.  Bringing me a refill of diet coke, not so much

On 7/7/2021 at 6:58 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Just got back from Greece.  It was the same.

Vaccination OR negative test or proof of recovery within X months.  You also have to fill out a Passenger Locator Form (PLF) no later than 24 hours the flight.  You then get a barcode from the Greek government the day you are set to arrive.   If you don't get it filled out by then, they won't let you let you in.  Once you get there, you may be tested again but that's random.

Once there we stayed in a non-touristy area (it was an area popular with Greeks not foreigners) so we walked everywhere, enjoyed the beach/food, etc, did zero sightseeing.  Loved it.  Did not go to Mykonos where Covid was having a party.

Coming back, we all had to take a PCR test - found a local diagnostic lab, made an appointment to meet the 3 day window and then, once tested, had results back in 7 hours.  Greek government caps PCR costs for visitors to 60 Euro each. 

All was smooth and easy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I really hope the rising numbers don't cause a city like Seattle to freak out and start imposing more restrictions on museums and dining.  I'm going there in two weeks with my kids.

There are some states and municipalities that are reinstating mask mandates, but so far I haven't seen a push for shutdowns or reduced occupancy.  Still, the situation is fluid...

We didn't allow extra time for the covid processing shit at the Cancun airport yesterday before our flight to Austin. We gave ourselves the standard 2 hours. Everything worked out fine, but we shoulda gotten there sooner. After waiting 50 minutes in the airline's line, they pulled out everyone for the Austin flight and put us ahead of the rest. We got to our gate like 10 minutes before they boarded our boarding group.

Covid test...contrary to reports, the girl who did ours was by the book 100%. ALL the way in. 6 slow, full turns. Induced tears for all 10 of us. $50 a pop. All negative. Just tell the front desk when you want to do it. They'll set it up & someone will come to your room.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends.  Flights to NYC for Thanksgiving and Christmas of this year from Austin are as high as they always are (trying to get my folks up for one or both).  

International flights have been a lot cheaper from NYC for the last couple of months.  I am going to go ahead and use one of my credits to lock in a trip for next Memorial Day.

On 7/18/2021 at 6:27 AM, DaysOff said:

Sorry about that. If you have a Twitter account publicly shame them with your story. It's often the fastest way to get a response. The 787 fleet isn't understaffed, but getting crews to EWR has become problematic because the port authorities decided to rip up a runway now instead of a year ago when nobody was flying. Lots of ATC delays and canceled flights causing commuters to be stranded because who would live near Newark.

Do you even Hoboken bro? 🤘

It kind of sucks man. Delta is everywhere and until the FDA does EUA for kids, there's not much you can do if you don't want your kids exposed. People are stupid and inconsiderate. I feel like we're getting to the point where we pretty much just have to throw our hands up and say they're going to catch it sooner or later. Didn't have to be this way. 

• Rage+1 1

On 5/19/2021 at 3:27 PM, kevwun said:

United has started a partnership with Abbott rapid tests that meet the re-entry travel requirement for the US.  You buy the test online, take itwith you in your carry-on and take it within 3 days of your return.  Even have an online advisor available to walk you through the test.  The results are delivered to an app on your phone.  You get 6 tests for $150.  I am sure other airlines will be on board shortly.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

Update:

We did the Abbott/Emed tests before returning to the U.S. 

Very easy to take the tests, see the test results and receive the certificate via email. When you are ready to start the test, you have to wait 2-5 mins for an online Emed employee to become available and supervise.  Much nicer to do it on-demand instead of going to a clinic/testing center/etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, zman13 said:

Update:

Very easy to take the tests, see the test results and receive the certificate via email. When you are ready to start the test, you have to wait 2-5 mins for an online Emed employee to become available and supervise.  Much nicer to do it on-demand instead of going to a clinic/testing center/etc. 

I ordered a stack of these.

1 hour ago, zman13 said:

Update:

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I ordered a stack of these.

It looks like you can only order 6 at a time for $150.00. I only need 2 so really don't want to spend the extra for tests I don't need. 

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

It looks like you can only order 6 at a time for $150.00. I only need 2 so really don't want to spend the extra for tests I don't need. 

I figured I will use them one way or another.  Need two in September, will need one in January.  Might need one or two before that as well.

Wife and I are taking a quick weekend trip to Turks and Caicos for labor day. They just announced a requirement for proof of vaccine starting September 1, with the acceptable proof described below. All I have is the handwritten CDC card (got the vaccine at UT Health Tyler). Anybody have any ideas for how to get one of the acceptable forms of proof from my CDC card? I guess it would be nice if I actually had a primary care physician I could call.  

• Vaccination letters signed by a doctor (must include doctor's registration or license number).
  • E-Cards, such as those from CVS, Walgreens, NHS or similar sources.
  • Handwritten vaccination cards will not be accepted as proof of vaccination.

Wife and I are taking a quick weekend trip to Turks and Caicos for labor day. They just announced a requirement for proof of vaccine starting September 1, with the acceptable proof described below. All I have is the handwritten CDC card (got the vaccine at UT Health Tyler). Anybody have any ideas for how to get one of the acceptable forms of proof from my CDC card? I guess it would be nice if I actually had a primary care physician I could call.  
  • Vaccination letters signed by a doctor (must include doctor's registration or license number).
  • E-Cards, such as those from CVS, Walgreens, NHS or similar sources.
  • Handwritten vaccination cards will not be accepted as proof of vaccination.

Submit your vaccine card to your PCP so that it’s in your file. They can then print out your vaccine record, certified by the doctor, just like you were enrolling in kindergarten.

If you’re in Austin and use ARC, you can submit it via MyChart.