Who had this in their 2020 Shit Bingo Card? India vs China

crash_davis

Didn't see a thread on this. This will the be icing on this shit cake that is 2020. A war involving the world's 2 most populist countries with roughly 1.4B people each. If it's a war of attrition, they may be at it for a long while.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/armed-forces-to-stock-up-war-reserves/articleshow/76415783.cms

Who's going to blink first after the skirmish?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Didn't see a thread on this. This will the be icing on this shit cake that is 2020. A war involving the world's 2 most populist* countries with roughly 1.4B people each. If it's a war of attrition, they may be at it for a long while.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/armed-forces-to-stock-up-war-reserves/articleshow/76415783.cms

Who's going to blink first after the skirmish?

populous* 

• Like 3

LAC and Ladakh area dispute always kind of fascinated me since HS world history when it was expressed thusly-

“Take an area the size of the Texas Panhandle put it in some of the worlds most rugged mountain ranges. Remove the entire population of Amarillo for density sake and say Plainview you’re the capital. Then have two nuclear capable powers fight over it for generations with no resolution on input from UN”

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

How long till ol' Vlady Putin wants to get his name in there?

This is a dicey situation that could have severe global consequences if not handled by the world's most skilled negotiators. In other words, we better get the Kushner over their stat!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

LAC and Ladakh area dispute always kind of fascinated me since HS world history when it was expressed thusly-

“Take an area the size of the Texas Panhandle put it in some of the worlds most rugged mountain ranges. Remove the entire population of Amarillo for density sake and say Plainview you’re the capital. Then have two nuclear capable powers fight over it for generations with no resolution on input from UN”

This is the Indian border with Tibet? I thought Tibet was pretty controversial and China claims land even further away from Beijing? What is the history there?

Succinct explainer from the BBC:

India-China dispute: The border row explained in 400 words

In 400 words, here is all the important background to help you understand what is going on.

What happened in the clash?
At least 20 Indian soldiers were killed in Monday night's incident. It happened in Galwan Valley in the disputed Ladakh region.

China accused Indian troops of crossing the border twice, "provoking and attacking Chinese personnel".

Both sides insisted that no shots were fired. Indian officials gave accounts of fighting with bare hands, iron rods and stones.

There were reports of Chinese casualties, but no official confirmation.

Military officials from both countries later met to "defuse the situation", the Indian army said.

Why are they fighting?
The military superpowers have been arguing for decades over territory in the high-altitude, largely uninhabited region.

Their armies come face to face at many points along the 3,440km (2,100-mile) shared border.

The confrontation came after tensions bubbled up in recent months over a new road India built in Ladakh, along the Line of Actual Control which divides the sides.

That angered China, which deployed troops and built infrastructure of its own in disputed territory, bringing the two sides' forces in closer proximity and heightening the risk of clashes.

Why does it matter?
Both sides see the area as strategically important, economically and militarily.

If neither gives way, the stand-off could have destabilising consequences for the region.

The loss of life raises the stakes. Those deaths are believed to be the first in 45 years in a border confrontation between India and China.

They have fought only one war, in 1962, when India suffered a humiliating defeat.

How dangerous could this be?
Potentially very, if efforts to reduce tensions fail.

In recent days, army generals from India and China have been involved in talks aimed at resolving the border row.

However, similar reconciliation attempts have stalled in the past.

If they are not successful, there is a risk of escalation between two rivals who happen to be the world's most populous countries - and have nuclear weapons.

"This is extremely, extremely serious, this is going to vitiate whatever dialogue was going on," former Indian army commander DS Hooda said, commenting on Monday's clash.

A map of the region (it's complicated):

Spoiler

_112919157_kashmir_military_clash_x2_640

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

And is this the first real direct threat involving countries with Nukes?

This isn’t the first time the Real Indians & the Chicoms have been spilling blood over their border.

Even the USSR & said Chicoms fought a bloody round or two back in the 1960s or 70s.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I tend to favor Chinese food -- and I mean the authentic kind like Panda Express -- so I guess I'll root for China.

I guess that makes you my sworn enemy but I'll still remain friendly with your mom.

TARKA FOREVAH!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, bolverk said:

I guess that makes you my sworn enemy but I'll still remain friendly with your mom.

TARKA FOREVAH!

My mom also favors Chinese food.  So she says thanks for all the laughs, which according to her, happened every time you took your pants off.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

Seriously? Can you name a fast food Indian food place in the US? I rest my case.

Tarka is a place up the street in suburban South Austin (offshoot of the downtown Clay Pit) that you could call "fast casual." It's pretty akin to Panda Express in terms of experience. I recommend the Lamb Vindaloo.

Edit 2: Looks like there's one in Houston now.

Edited by bolverk
link
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

And is this the first real direct threat involving countries with Nukes?

Ah, you do remember the Cuban Missile Crisis?  Bay of Pigs, ring a bell?

The Cuban Missile Crisis, also known as the October Crisis of 1962 (Spanish: Crisis de Octubre), the Caribbean Crisis (Russian: Карибский кризис, tr. Karibsky krizis, IPA: [kɐˈrʲipskʲɪj ˈkrʲizʲɪs]), or the Missile Scare, was a 13-day (October 16–28, 1962) confrontation between the United States and the Soviet Union initiated by Soviet ballistic missile deployment in Cuba. The confrontation is often considered the closest the Cold War came to escalating into a full-scale nuclear war.[2]

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Bold prediction: Humanity will never see large-scale traditional warfare again. Robots, drone strikes, cyber warfare, biological warfare are in.

I don't know. Syria is still very recent in the history books. That conflict was all about traditional blowing shit up with bullets, bombs, and artillery shells.

• Like 2

Just now, jdhorn92 said:

Ah, you do remember the Cuban Missile Crisis?  Bay of Pigs, ring a bell?

The Cuban Missile Crisis, also known as the October Crisis of 1962 (Spanish: Crisis de Octubre), the Caribbean Crisis (Russian: Карибский кризис, tr. Karibsky krizis, IPA: [kɐˈrʲipskʲɪj ˈkrʲizʲɪs]), or the Missile Scare, was a 13-day (October 16–28, 1962) confrontation between the United States and the Soviet Union initiated by Soviet ballistic missile deployment in Cuba. The confrontation is often considered the closest the Cold War came to escalating into a full-scale nuclear war.[2]

yea, not my finest post. Blame public school History education.

This is the Indian border with Tibet? I thought Tibet was pretty controversial and China claims land even further away from Beijing? What is the history there?

What Bolverk posted. This is further NW and further complicated by Kashmir. But after 20 or so years of dispute and the end of the “war” in 1962 everyone just kind of shrugged and walked away. Then India and China play these little games with patrols and out-bases for 58 years.