Adios Aunt Jemima

RPM

Come again...a goddamm syrup, really?
let me guess, you learned not to hate wood houses because sometimes y’all bought log cabin..

Don’t be fatuous, Jeffery. You learn basic spacial awareness, hand eye coordination, and not to hate your fellow Americans from Lincoln Logs not syrup brands.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Given recent history, the Cowboys could be on the clock as well.  

Good thing Sambo's is pretty much extinct now sans perhaps 1 left in California. 

#TeamMrs.Buttersworth

ummmm..

Santa Barbara restaurant drops name many considered racist

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-09/santa-barbara-restaurant-drops-name-many-considered-racist

One of my closest friends was dating his now wife in college.  We all went to a fraternity costume party where she dressed as Aunt Jemima.  No blackface, though. Honestly it didn't seem wrong at the time.  In retrospect, maybe it was.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child and I ate all the high fructose corn slop packaged as "syrup"  such as Log Cabin and Aunt Jemima; but when I became a man, I put away childish things and learned that real maple syrup is where it is at.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Like 7

RIP Noid. Gone, but not forgotten.

On January 30, 1989, a man wielding a .357 magnum revolver stormed into a Domino’s in Atlanta, Georgia and took two employees hostage. For five hours, he engaged in a standoff with police, all the while ordering his hostages to make him pizzas. Before the police could negotiate with his demands ($100,000, a getaway car, and a copy of The Widow’s Son -- a novel about Freemasons), the two employees escaped. In the ensuing chaos, the captor fired two gunshots into the establishment’s ceiling, was forcefully apprehended, and received charges of kidnapping, aggravated assault, and theft by extortion.

The assailant, a 22-year-old named Kenneth Lamar Noid, was apparently upset about the chain’s new mascot. A police officer on the scene later revealed that Noid had “an ongoing feud in his mind with the owner of Domino’s Pizza about the Noid commercials,” and thought the advertisements had specifically made fun of him. A headline the following morning in the Boca Raton News sparked a talk show frenzy: “Domino’s Hostages Couldn’t Avoid the Noid This Time.”

• Like 2

Fairly weak that these brands are just now agreeing that someone might consider their brand to be racist. Now? Even a flat out racist would agree that aunt jemima was racist over a decade ago.

10 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child and I ate all the high fructose corn slop packaged as "syrup"  such as Log Cabin and Aunt Jemima; but when I became a man, I put away childish things and learned that real maple syrup is where it is at.

100%. If you have a job and are over 25, don’t buy crap syrup. Or any crap food for that matter.

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Fairly weak that these brands are just now agreeing that someone might consider their brand to be racist. Now? Even a flat out racist would agree that aunt jemima was racist over a decade ago.

They addressed the Uncle Ben & Aunt Jemima images several times to make them less racist.

Aunt-Jemima.jpg

uncle-bens-logo.jpg

Uncle-Bens%C2%AE-e1551031994520.png

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

They addressed the Uncle Ben & Aunt Jemima images several times to make them less racist.

Aunt-Jemima.jpg

uncle-bens-logo.jpg

Uncle-Bens%C2%AE-e1551031994520.png

So they made changes to be a little less racist? I get that the head of Marketing in 2005 (or 1985) couldn’t suggest a renaming without being fired but how about a slow progression to another brand name altogether.

of course the only reason either brand exists is because people buy it. However people buy it because it’s cheap not because of the taste or name. Rename it to something else, drop prices by 10% for 6 months and their customers will forget aunt jemima ever existed. 

I definitely understand changing both but the Aunt Jemima is extremely racist. The Uncle Ben's is less so and more like an accurate depiction of an elderly man. That said no reason to use caricatures as logos. Uncle Julio's needs to be next. It's just as insanely racist as Aunt Jemima

37 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I definitely understand changing both but the Aunt Jemima is extremely racist. The Uncle Ben's is less so and more like an accurate depiction of an elderly man. That said no reason to use caricatures as logos. Uncle Julio's needs to be next. It's just as insanely racist as Aunt Jemima

I had a hispanic uncle we called Uncle Toe.  He used to pit grill a whole lot, and he told us a whale lived in the pit.

He was twice as crazy as Uncle Julio looks.

I call dibs on "Uncle Toe's" for my bar.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

The Uncle Ben's is less so and more like an accurate depiction of an elderly man.

Uncle Ben was what was quaintly referred to as a House N. They were both depictions of slave servants.

#defundwhitechocolate is coming up next.  Kraft to start dying marshmallow different shades. LuckyCharms to remove red haired leprechaun.  Rice Krispies to add a diversity elf to the box.   We are going to defeat racism in the pantry!!!

Oh and yea I probably eat breakfast that involves syrup 3-4 times year, but you bet your bippy i'm using real maple syrup and not that maple flavored crap. 

Just heard add Cream of Wheat and Mrs. Butterworth's to the list of rebranders. CoW I get. Rastus was extremely racist starting out, then was toned down to a restaurant chef. Mrs. B bottle was modeled on Prissy from GWTW, but it was always a white person doing the voice for as long as I can remember.

44 minutes ago, RPM said:

Uncle Ben was what was quaintly referred to as a House N. They were both depictions of slave servants.

Did many slave servants wear blue suits from like the 1950s?

I think "Uncle" is the real problem with Ben.

Edited by JBJ

When I was a kid, some friends of mine (family in the oil industry) did a stint as expats, and they came back with stories of a toothpaste on the shelves in Indonesia (I think that's where it was):

dsc00578.jpg

Even in the early 1980s, we knew that shit was CRAZY racist.  There used to be a whole bunch of products with racist marketing.  That's dwindled down to just a few, but come on....it was long past time for those changes.

32 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Did many slave servants wear blue suits from like the 1950s?

Think 1850's. The black butlers wore fine suits and ties. The house servants were clothed much better than the field workers. They were both slaves, but you kinda wanted to show off the house staff. They sometimes treated them as sort of family and gave them Uncle and Aunt nicknames especially if there were children in the house. Not that I'm an expert on slavery, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn in Yazoo City once.

Edited by RPM

22 minutes ago, RPM said:

Think 1850's. The black butlers wore fine suits and ties. The house servants were clothed much better than the field workers. They were both slaves, but you kinda wanted to show off the house staff. They sometimes treated them as sort of family and gave them Uncle and Aunt nicknames especially if there were children in the house. Not that I'm an expert on slavery, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn in Yazoo City once.

Black tie didn't become a thing until the 1920's or so. Mid 19th century servant would have been wearing a white bowtie if I recall correctly. But, yes, I can see how the uncle part might be offensive.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

Found on Facebook

The world knew her as "Aunt Jemima," but her given name was Nancy Green and she was a true American success story. She was born a slave in 1834 Montgomery County, KY... and became a wealthy superstar in the advertising world, as its first living trademark. Green was 56-yrs old when she was selected as spokesperson for a new ready-mixed, self-rising pancake flour and made her debut in 1893 at a fair and exposition in Chicago. She demonstrated the pancake mix and served thousands of pancakes... and became an immediate star. She was a good storyteller, her personality was warm and appealing, and her showmanship was exceptional. Her exhibition booth drew so many people that special security personnel were assigned to keep the crowds moving.

Nancy Green was signed to a lifetime contract, traveled on promotional tours all over the country, and was extremely well paid. Her financial freedom and stature as a national spokesperson enabled her to become a leading advocate against poverty and in favor of equal rights for folks in Chicago.

She maintained her job until her death in 1923, at age 89.

Nancy Green was a remarkable woman... and has just been ERASED by politically correct bedwetters.

1 minute ago, tchookem said:

Found on Facebook

Yeah, I saw that to.  Good on what seems to have been a smart and charming woman finding a way to make a really good living off of....an offensive racial stereotype.  Seriously, I'm sure she was a great lady.  But the character she played was a racist stereotype.  Both things can be true.

• Like 2

Yeah, I saw that to.  Good on what seems to have been a smart and charming woman finding a way to make a really good living off of....an offensive racial stereotype.  Seriously, I'm sure she was a great lady.  But the character she played was a racist stereotype.  Both things can be true.
Plus, I haven't wet the bed in like, 7 months.

1 minute ago, tchookem said:
5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Plus, I haven't wet the bed in like, 7 months.

I thought about it this morning.  Had to piss really bad, but was really cozy in the bed.  Realized it would really annoy the wife, so went ahead and got up.  Getting old sucks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

Think 1850's. The black butlers wore fine suits and ties. The house servants were clothed much better than the field workers. They were both slaves, but you kinda wanted to show off the house staff. Not that I'm an expert on slavery, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn in Yazoo City once.

I think people will see what they want to.

fheakf.jpg.optimal.jpg

tumblr_mq5tylfvus1qkdo9ao1_1280.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

When I was a kid, some friends of mine (family in the oil industry) did a stint as expats, and they came back with stories of a toothpaste on the shelves in Indonesia (I think that's where it was):

dsc00578.jpg

Even in the early 1980s, we knew that shit was CRAZY racist.  There used to be a whole bunch of products with racist marketing.  That's dwindled down to just a few, but come on....it was long past time for those changes.

Without a doubt, there are some ridiculously racist items from around the world.  America, as bad as we can be with racism, no where leads the pack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RPM said:

The black butlers wore fine suits and ties.

Not to digress, but no they didn't. The suit as depicted on Uncle Ben's and how you would conceptualize is a late Edwardian England invention. They would be in tail coats and cravats in the 1850's.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Not to digress, but no they didn't. The suit as depicted on Uncle Ben's and how you would conceptualize is a late Edwardian England invention. They would be in tail coats and cravats in the 1850's.

And if there's one thing we should all agree on, it's that our racist stereotypes used to sell consumer products should at least be historically accurate, amirite?

3 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I had a hispanic uncle we called Uncle Toe.  He used to pit grill a whole lot, and he told us a whale lived in the pit.

He was twice as crazy as Uncle Julio looks.

I call dibs on "Uncle Toe's" for my bar.

I think everyone has one of those Tios and they are best caricatured as wearing jorts, a Dallas Cowboys shirt and a Cowboys cap worn backwards. Usually they are standing next to the pit holding their 15th Budweiser and yelling at someone instructions on how to fix the problem with a truck's 02 sensor then end the advice with a "pinche joto" then proceed with talking about their latest fishing trip to Corpus.

It’s quite a stretch to say the real person was erased by getting rid of the racist stereotype when most of us would have never otherwise heard of the real person had they kept the stereotype.